Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
Well in this case it DOES mean something, because Vin Diesel relied on input from Facebooks users to determine what direction the films would go in. That was what led to Dwayne Johnson being cast in Fast Five.

I don't view audiences the way you do. Plus everyone has their own idea of what "quality" cinema is.

Obviously, but I wouldn't want mainstream audiences being put in charge of what movies get made. Then, we'd end with nothing more than a bunch of idiotic summer blockbusters and sappy romantic-comedies that fail to qualify as art. Now obviously, not every movie needs to be art, but all cinema should at least try to be somewhat ambitious.

That being said, could the Vin Diesel (or whoever runs the F&F website) have polled his fans to gauge audience desires? Yes. But that still means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I still think that the last Fast movie wasn't half-bad. Everything before then was garbage.

Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well in this case it DOES mean something, because Vin Diesel relied on input from Facebooks users to determine what direction the films would go in. That was what led to Dwayne Johnson being cast in Fast Five.

I don't view audiences the way you do. Plus everyone has their own idea of what "quality" cinema is.

Obviously, but I wouldn't want mainstream audiences being put in charge of what movies get made. Then, we'd end with nothing more than a bunch of idiotic summer blockbusters and sappy romantic-comedies that fail to qualify as art. Now obviously, not every movie needs to be art, but all cinema should at least try to be somewhat ambitious.

That being said, could the Vin Diesel (or whoever runs the F&F website) have polled his fans to gauge audience desires? Yes. But that still means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I still think that the last Fast movie wasn't half-bad. Everything before then was garbage.
Well I'm gonna have to disagree there, it's refreshing to have actors who respect and intereact with fans on this level. I can see why you wouldn't care, but for those of us who have liked all the films, it's a big deal.

Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm
Well I think Sergio Leone's best movie is "Once Upon A Time in the West". Better than the "Dollar"-trilogy and better than "Once upon a time in America".

I think that only John Williams' music score is really great in "E.T." The movie itself is a very sappy and cheezy re-imagination of the "friendly aliens" theme from "Close encounters of the third kind".

I actually like "1941", way, way more than for example "Empire of the Sun" (both - as you all know - Spielberg movies, and I firmly think he is one of the greatest directors/filmmakers ever).

I think "The Sting" isn't Oscar material. It is kind of fun but nothing more.

"Juno" sucks.

Ethan Hawke can't act. Yes, you heard me! He just happens to chose great movies (with "Dead Poets Society" being an exception).

Leam Neeson can't act.

Now I will get some serious criticism: Ben Kingsley can't act - compared to his reputation. He plays the same character over and over again. He just has the "dignity" factor and chosing the right roles, similar to (say) Patrick Stewart.

Beau Bridges is the better actor, his brother Jeff happens to be way better looking and "cooler". That's about it. Check Jeff in "Tucker, the man and his dream" - he just grins and smirks his way through the movie. It's like he doesn't even care.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 pm
Cinematographer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Now I will get some serious criticism: Ben Kingsley can't act - compared to his reputation. He plays the same character over and over again. He just has the "dignity" factor and chosing the right roles, similar to (say) Patrick Stewart.

Have you seen Sexy Beast?

Sun May 19, 2013 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Blonde Almond wrote:
Have you seen Sexy Beast?

Nope, will do ASAP. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sun May 19, 2013 6:07 pm
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:

Ethan Hawke can't act. Yes, you heard me! He just happens to chose great movies (with "Dead Poets Society" being an exception).

I used to think that. Virulently. Then I saw a little movie called Tape, and I spent the entire first 45 minutes going "Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Ethan Hawke is so....good in this."

Sun May 19, 2013 6:18 pm
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Leam Neeson can't act.

He can act. But he needs good direction.

One of my go-to critics (can't remember which--probably David Bordwell or Jim Emerson) contended that there are two kinds of good actors: the kind that needs direction to do good work and the kind that doesn't. That's an interesting suggestion, because it goes purely by the resultant performance, rather than the circumstances that the job was done in.

Consider The Phantom Menace. George Lucas does not direct his actors. Liam Neeson was wooden in that, but Ewan MacGregor was actually pretty credible, considering what he had to work with. MacGregor can work without direction.

Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

I used to think that. Virulently. Then I saw a little movie called Tape, and I spent the entire first 45 minutes going "Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Ethan Hawke is so....good in this."

Maybe the general rule is he's only good when he's working with Richard Linklater.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

Hawke is one actor who does his best work when being directed by Richard Linklater (Jack Black is another).

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 pm
Critic

I'm happy giving Linklater some credit, but he's also nails in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm
Some good points there. I will give it some deeper thought. Anyhowz: good to know some people (I hold in high esteem) think I kinda have a point there and it's worth talking about.

Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 pm
Second Unit Director

None of the Indiana Jones movies are very good and Temple of Doom was pretty bad. Also, I liked Kingdom of The Crystal Skull and The Last Crusade better than Raiders of the Lost Ark.. Maybe I'm just a sucker for father son bonding or maybe it was the lighter, jokier nature of those films, but the last two just did a moderately better job of engaging me.

Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

thered47 wrote:
None of the Indiana Jones movies are very good and Temple of Doom was pretty bad. Also, I liked Kingdom of The Crystal Skull and The Last Crusade better than Raiders of the Lost Ark.. Maybe I'm just a sucker for father son bonding or maybe it was the lighter, jokier nature of those films, but the last two just did a moderately better job of engaging me.

I also liked Crystal Skulls (Cate Blanchett as a villain? Yes please!)

And I think that Alexander Payne movies are really movie-length sitcoms. None of the ones I've seen (Election, The Descendants, Citizen Ruth) have struck me as having been especially deep, funny or what have you. I liked Sideways (although it was far too long), and I thought that the cinematography in The Descendants was excellent. That's it though.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun May 19, 2013 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

And I thought Jeff Bridges was completely miscast in Iron Man. I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of miscasting (apart from actors who can't act)

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I thought casting Bridges was a great idea. For viewers who are unfamiliar with the original stories but know Bridges and his usual personality from other movies, it works in favor of the big reveal... which he plays credibly.

Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 pm
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:

I think that only John Williams' music score is really great in "E.T." The movie itself is a very sappy and cheezy re-imagination of the "friendly aliens" theme from "Close encounters of the third kind".

Leam Neeson can't act.

Re: John Williams: you don't like the theme to Star Wars? Indian Jones? Superman? Jurassic Park? Jaws? I could go on.

You don't think Neeson can act. Have you seen Schindler's List? Michael Collins? The Grey?

Admittedly, Kingsley has done his share of crap, but he's given some pretty amazing performances. I'm not too big on Gandhi. I found the movie to be kind of boring. But I don't see how you can deny how great Kingsley is in it. Also one of his more underrated performances IMO was in Suspect Zero, speaking of unpopular opinions (I loved that movie and think writing it off as just another Se7en ripoff is false and not giving the movie enough credit).

Mon May 20, 2013 12:53 am
Producer

He's not saying ET is the only good John Williams score. He's saying that the John Williams score is the only good thing about ET.

A guy who has John Williams in his avatar probably doesn't intend to disparage John Williams.

Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 am
Producer

Oops. Clearly I read that wrong. My bad.

Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

Leam Neeson can't act.

Re: John Williams: you don't like the theme to Star Wars? Indian Jones? Superman? Jurassic Park? Jaws? I could go on.

You don't think Neeson can act. Have you seen Schindler's List? Michael Collins? The Grey?

Admittedly, Kingsley has done his share of crap, but he's given some pretty amazing performances. I'm not too big on Gandhi. I found the movie to be kind of boring. But I don't see how you can deny how great Kingsley is in it. Also one of his more underrated performances IMO was in Suspect Zero, speaking of unpopular opinions (I loved that movie and think writing it off as just another Se7en ripoff is false and not giving the movie enough credit).

I dig Kingsley in pretty much anything, even the Thunderbirds film.

Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 am
Ken wrote:
He's not saying ET is the only good John Williams score. He's saying that the John Williams score is the only good thing about ET.

A guy who has John Williams in his avatar probably doesn't intend to disparage John Williams.

Yep! ;)

Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next