Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 am

Movies that SHOULD have been better than they actually were 
Director

Post Re: Movies that SHOULD have been better than they actually were
nitrium wrote:
Donnie Darko: Director's Cut
In theory a Director's Cut should ADD to a film for its benefit (i.e. it should make it "better"). Well Richard Kelly not only managed to make a WORSE Director's Cut than the original theatrical version, but actually ruin the whole thing. By explaining everything, all the puzzles/mythos are effectively removed, and this former (imo) genuinely great movie actually becomes incredibly lame. It also proves beyond all doubt that the theatrical cut is NOT simply a fluke from an otherwise crappy director. The DC (i.e. Kelly's original vision) of Donnie Darko is actually almost just as mediocre a film as all Kelly's subsequent releases, and was only made good by a very, very good editor who understood the notion that sometimes "less is more".

I liked the original Darko because it left it shrouded in mytsery at the end. The Director's Cut looked like it explained everything and that's why I haven't seen it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:

Schindler's List
...Just kidding ;).

I know, right! There wasn't one scene showing the suffering of gentile Poles. Damn that Spielberg! ;)

Thu May 16, 2013 4:15 pm
Producer

And besides, Spielberg had already made a couple films about a non-Jewish guy getting kicked around by the Nazis. Does no one remember?

Thu May 16, 2013 4:56 pm
Second Unit Director

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One of my favorite novels and I was REALLY looking forward to the big screen adaptation. I even bought a towel to the showing that I attended. Ha! But it failed to capture the spirit of the book. Martin Freeman and Zooey Deschanel were inspired casting. But Sam Rockwell, in the role of Zaphod Beeblebrox, was just plain annoying. Which makes sense, yes, considering the essence of what Zaphod is all about. But oh my ... it was eclipsing Jar-Jar Binks levels! As James mentioned in his review, a lot of the charm of the books was you felt like Douglas Adams was speaking right to you. I don't know what could have helped this? A narrator - "Pushing Daisies" style - perhaps? At any rate, the film could have been so much better.

Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 pm
Second Unit Director

Taleswapper wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One of my favorite novels and I was REALLY looking forward to the big screen adaptation. I even bought a towel to the showing that I attended. Ha! But it failed to capture the spirit of the book. Martin Freeman and Zooey Deschanel were inspired casting. But Sam Rockwell, in the role of Zaphod Beeblebrox, was just plain annoying. Which makes sense, yes, considering the essence of what Zaphod is all about. But oh my ... it was eclipsing Jar-Jar Binks levels! As James mentioned in his review, a lot of the charm of the books was you felt like Douglas Adams was speaking right to you. I don't know what could have helped this? A narrator - "Pushing Daisies" style - perhaps? At any rate, the film could have been so much better.

ITA, though in retrospect I'm not surprised it didn't work well. As you said, the book's writing style would have been extremely difficult to replicate cinematically. I also thought Alan Rickman and Mos Def were inspired casting choices. Actually, this is a perfect example of a movie that SHOULD have been better. Well-cast, great source material, but really underwhelming.

10 Things I Hate about You also should have been better. Again, you have a largely fantastic cast: Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Allison Janney, and Larry Miller. The supporting roles are wonderfully cast to type. Unfortunately, Larisa Oleynik was miscast, and the whole thing just doesn't quite hit that next level. It's pretty good, but SHOULD have been great.

Cars also SHOULD have been better. It was the first Pixar movie I considered disappointing. I thought a film with subject matter that John Lassiter was passionate about would be special. As such, the plot is rather lame and the whole theme of the death of small towns actually seemed a bit misguided to me, but maybe it's because I never had that experience. It could be a generational thing.

Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm
Assistant Director

The Avengers

This movie should have been awesome! Apparently I'm the only one who hated it. The movie felt like an series of set pieces rather than a natural, flowing movie. I don't think Joss Whedon is that good of a director. In fact I think he's a hack. And the plot is a complete ripoff of
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Teeth

This isn't a story of "good idea, bad execution." It's "good idea, NO execution." The movie had a great premise and did nothing, period.

This is the End

I thought this movie was going to be hilarious. But it had to have been 90% improvised, and the film makes the mistake that being gross automatically equals being funny. Repeating yourself (the "you're in my house bit") isn't funny, and the actors didn't poke fun at themselves at all. Changed their names and it would be no different. And the scene about raping Emma Watson, or rather not, is just distasteful. It gathers nothing from using "rape" as opposed to "sex." RAPE IS NOT A JOKE, PEOPLE!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
The Avengers

This movie should have been awesome! Apparently I'm the only one who hated it. The movie felt like an series of set pieces rather than a natural, flowing movie. I don't think Joss Whedon is that good of a director. In fact I think he's a hack. And the plot is a complete ripoff of
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Teeth

This isn't a story of "good idea, bad execution." It's "good idea, NO execution." The movie had a great premise and did nothing, period.

This is the End

I thought this movie was going to be hilarious. But it had to have been 90% improvised, and the film makes the mistake that being gross automatically equals being funny. Repeating yourself (the "you're in my house bit") isn't funny, and the actors didn't poke fun at themselves at all. Changed their names and it would be no different. And the scene about raping Emma Watson, or rather not, is just distasteful. It gathers nothing from using "rape" as opposed to "sex." RAPE IS NOT A JOKE, PEOPLE!

I think McGames Cook agrees with you.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
And the scene about raping Emma Watson, or rather not, is just distasteful. It gathers nothing from using "rape" as opposed to "sex." RAPE IS NOT A JOKE, PEOPLE!

Well of course it isn't a joke, but that doesn't mean it can't be fodder for one.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:54 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
And the scene about raping Emma Watson, or rather not, is just distasteful. It gathers nothing from using "rape" as opposed to "sex." RAPE IS NOT A JOKE, PEOPLE!

Well of course it isn't a joke, but that doesn't mean it can't be fodder for one.

Like the time Steven Speilberg and George Lucas raped Indiana Jones.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:35 pm