Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS 
Site Admin

Post STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
Click here for the review of Star Trek Into Darkness

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
I had a feeling James was going to give this three stars. Based on other reviews I've read, it seems that at the very least this sequel is "par for the course".

Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 pm
Auteur

Oh hell yes! Cannot wait to see this!

Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 am
Director

Will see it definitely. Previously I would call my father and suggest we go check it out. But as I previously noted, the last Abrams Trek soured him so much that he will not be seeing this.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Will see it definitely. Previously I would call my father and suggest we go check it out. But as I previously noted, the last Abrams Trek soured him so much that he will not be seeing this.

My mother absolutely loved the last Trek film(just re-watched it tonight, got her the DVD for mothers day) and i'll be seeing this one with her on saturday.

Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 am
Director

I will likely enjoy this movie, and I may even give it a similar rating, but oh man, my review is going to look completely different since I am not a Star Trek fan and have no idea what they're trying to "replicate" from the older movies.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 am
Second Unit Director

Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant in this film.
He is the perfect foil for not only Kirk but also Spock.
He is what the Borg were to TNG and Khan was to the OS.

this is a fine entry in the series and hopefully a glimpse of future excellence,

Thu May 16, 2013 3:02 am
Assistant Director

Saw this movie a week ago and agree with JB's review 100%. A solid 3 Stars but still Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is my top favorite in the franchise
Cheers

Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

I still remember watching The Wrath of Kahn as a child. Horror movies did not really frighten me I watched plenty, but after watching that movie I slept with my pillow over my head for a little bit because I was afraid of little worm things crawling in my ears.

Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am
Gaffer

Saw it at the midnight showing in our theater, and loved it. I highly enjoyed the first movie in the series, and was hoping that J.J. could top it, though I figured it would be difficult, and no doubt it was quite difficult. Still, I believe he has, and I love Cumberbatch's villain, and I say that as a long time, hardcore Trek fan.

Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Wrath of Kahn is a good movie, but for my money, and as a Star Trek fan from the early 70's, my favorite ST movie remains Star Trek: First Contact, and then Star Trek IV, and then Kahn.

Even though I wasn't a huge Next Generation fan, as a movie, First Contact holds up VERY well.

I liked the new Star Trek and am going to see the new movie tomorrow morning, but the JJ Abrams "vision" is still just a bit of a dumbing down of the real mission. The Star Wars effect on Star Trek, and that is unfortunate, though it will bring in lots of new fans!

Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm
Cinematographer

The first few minutes of this movie feature some of the most immersive applications of IMAX 3D technology that I have ever seen. Sadly, as the movie progresses, the film's technical proficiency starts to diminish, but the visual effects remain spectacular, as do the performances. (Those warp-speed sequences still remain pretty dazzling in 3D, though.)

But yes. This is probably the most entertaining experience I've had at the movies since last year's Skyfall. It also happens to be only the second wide release of 2013 that I've thoroughly enjoyed (the first being Side Effects). Finally, we have a summer blockbuster with heart and soul. At the same time, the movie maintains a state of constant climax fairly well, making for one of the most fast-paced, yet frequently exhilarating big-budget films in recent memory. In some ways, the movie reminded me of Skyfall, in that it was both dark and witty, without being too self-serious. The movie is also unafraid to be self-referential, although the story itself remains consistently compelling. I had a blast. This is a much better kick-off to the summer movie season than that other mindless, lackluster, disappointing hunk of scrap metal we got two weeks ago. (Not saying names...)

Only a handful of gripes here. Obviously, I would love to see the next Star Trek movie (or at least the next reboot) remain more faithful to Gene Roddenberry's original vision. The U.S.S. Enterprise also remains as clinical as it was in the last movie, and there were times when I felt that things could have slowed down to allow for more exposition. Still, I was altogether impressed. What with the film's ending, I hope to see the next movie be more about the actual journey and less about the destination. At the same time, I remain confident that Star Wars is in good hands, although my expectations are clearly much, much higher in regards to that series. I just hope that Star Trek XIII ends up being an outstanding tribute and dedication to the franchise's 50th year.

Side-note: Does anyone else feel as if Abrams should commit to a quota for this franchise? That is to say, shouldn't he decide on one or two more movies before shutting things down for good and letting someone else take over? I've always felt that franchises with a clear beginning, middle, and end are much more cohesive than, say, those that keep going until one bad movie forces the studio to take it from the top (or sell off the rights).

Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm
Cinematographer

Oh, and the title definitely needs a colon. I don't know why, but it frustrates me. :evil:

Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
Oh, and the title definitely needs a colon. I don't know why, but it frustrates me. :evil:

Totally agree and totally annoying!

Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm
Producer

My personal view in a nutshell:

Entertaining to a point but feels too much like a pale imitation of the episode
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Space Seed crossed with The Wrath of Khan and isn't nearly as good as either, especially Wrath of Khan.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kirk's "death" did nothing for me except for making me chuckle and then when Spock shouts "KHAAAAAAAAAN!!!" pretty much made laugh out loud. I'm not sure that is the reaction JJ Abrams was going for in that scene.

I'd probably give the movie 2.5 stars out of 4. On a 0-10 scale it's a 6.

Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Kirk's "death" did nothing for me except for making me chuckle and then when Spock shouts "KHAAAAAAAAAN!!!" pretty much made laugh out loud. I'm not sure that is the reaction JJ Abrams was going for in that scene.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Pretty much the reaction of myself and the audience. When Kirk put his hand to the glass the audience laughed. Recapturing the scene from Wrath of Khan I do not think had the intended effect the film-makers hoped to achieve. Spock's death was something. And the writing of Wrath of Khan is even more appreciated now...while everything in this film was supercharged, the cheese factor topped it all...
The discussion after the film left everyone I was with not really remembering anything memorable, except the cheese. It just moved so fast....

Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 am
Gaffer

A thoroughly enjoyable movie - highly recommended.

As JB suggested in his review and blog, Star Trek is heading towards space opera territory with ideas and philosophy taking a back seat to action and adventure. Some will dislike this, but I can see the series becoming more accessible to international audiences.

The audience who watched it with me seemed to have had a really good time, many staying on while the credits were rolling. Considering that I watched this in Hong Kong where most of the audience were relying heavily on the subtitles, I consider this an achievement. A lot of the humour transcends cultural and language barriers - for example, the conversation between Kirk, Spock and Uhura in the shuttle and the scene where Scotty was running through the landing bay would have been amusing no matter where you come from. And of course, flashes, bangs and CG eye candy are all pretty universal.

(Interesting side note: the audience didn't seem to understand the significance of the bad-guy's true identity, what happens after Kirk fixes some mis-aligned equipment or Kirk's final sentences, all of which would have been painfully obvious to any trekkie.)

Star Trek may be losing its geek-cred, but in exchange it is becoming a lot more mainstream which will help ensure the series' survival.

Added: Reading the above comments, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the parallel with Skyfall. Star Trek Into Darkness proudly announces that "these are the voyages of the starship Enterprise" in much the same way that Skyfall announced "James Bond is back".

Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 am
Director

I liked it. It's definitely a lot of fun, and unlike Iron Man 3, where one actor dominates the whole movie, this is a true team effort. I do have some issues with the anti-climactic final fight and the scene lifted directly from The Wrath of Khan (although I found this out after the fact). But they're nowhere close to wrecking the experience for me.

Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Lots of bad, but some good... I tried hard to steer clear of blatant spoilers...

1) The shuttle was not meant for the heat of hovering over a volcano? Isn't it meant to enter and leave a planets atmosphere?

2) The LA Cityscape was gorgeous, and must have taken the CGI artists AGES to render. Couldn't they have lingered on the initial shot a LITTLE longer than 4 seconds so we can appreciate?

3) The entire first 2 hours of the movie were about the needs of the one outweighing the needs of the many until plot devices made it otherwise. Not very Star Trek at all.

4) Pike tells Kirk he helped him get a second chance... Um.. more like a 6th chance if you ask me...

5) Speaking of Pike, can the Talosians & Vina just go fuck themselves now, or did the destruction of Vulcan free the writers from any TOS continuity?

6) The music was mostly terrible. NOTABLY when the Klingon's first appeared in person.

7) When Spock was chasing K, is there some movie rule where the director yells "Run real fast but don't move your head an inch?" How is that physically possible?

8) I still CANNOT STAND the way the backs of people's heads look in 3D. I disagree with James.. The 3D is an abomination.

9) (last one...) In the credits, this movie is dedicated to the memory of the 9/11 responders? Huh??

Now the good...

1) When Chris Pine dons the yellow shirt for the first time and gets in the turbolift with Uhura, he BECOMES Shatner/Kirk. It was palpable and a very cool moment.

2) John Cho makes me think of George Takei SO MUCH. It was great seeing him sit in the chair.

3) The number of reminders and interpretations are so much fun, and I disagree with you guys, I think JJ Abrams did lots of those things to make us laugh. I wasn't laughing at the movie, I was laughing with it, and so were others in the audience, though not as many as I would have thought. I thought the Wrath of Kahn juxtaposition was great.

4) Klingons & Tribbles :-)

5) Carol Marcus's gratuitous body shot

6) James is right about Peter Weller's acting, but Robocop fit well into the Star Trek world :)

7) What else? Doesn't matter. The 3D sucked and is completely unnecessary and takes away from the enjoyment of movies, but it is what it is and the IMAX was pretty and I had fun, laughed and cried a bit too. Seems Kirk & Spock will get to me sometimes no matter what as part of the Young Guard!

Last edited by mrguinness on Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri May 17, 2013 1:41 pm
Second Unit Director

PS.. Blooper alert

Wherever the hell those command chair seat belts came from...

Sulu puts his on, and then in the next shot of him he isn't wearing it, and then the subsequent shots after that, he is wearing it again.

Just for the sake of bashing :)

Fri May 17, 2013 1:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next