Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
As for Fawlty Towers, it was OK I guess, but for the most part it's just not my type of humor, I prefer sitcoms like New Girl, Cougar Town, 2 Broke Girls, Married With Children, King Of Queens, Still Standing, Grounded For Life, Yes Dear, etc.

Hello Vexer, it is nice to hear from you again,
i find it difficult to express how enamored I am with Faulty Towers
The writing, performances, setups are second to none.
To show this I offer the following as proof,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVDx-8kWZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKaQLYPf5hM&feature=endscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPunAYRhmo
I even fancy Polly.
The nearest sitcom in quality to it, would be Fraiser, Yes Minister or perhaps Big bang Theory.

I do like Cougar Town, Married With Children, King Of Queens but they are not even on the same league as Fawlty Towers.


Tue May 14, 2013 4:55 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
As for Fawlty Towers, it was OK I guess, but for the most part it's just not my type of humor, I prefer sitcoms like New Girl, Cougar Town, 2 Broke Girls, Married With Children, King Of Queens, Still Standing, Grounded For Life, Yes Dear, etc.

Hello Vexer, it is nice to hear from you again,
i find it difficult to express how enamored I am with Faulty Towers
The writing, performances, setups are second to none.
To show this I offer the following as proof,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVDx-8kWZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKaQLYPf5hM&feature=endscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPunAYRhmo
I even fancy Polly.
The nearest sitcom in quality to it, would be Fraiser, Yes Minister or perhaps Big bang Theory.

I do like Cougar Town, Married With Children, King Of Queens but they are not even on the same league as Fawlty Towers.

Frasier is OK but it lasted a bit longer then it should've, i'm also a big fan of Will And Grace(which John Cleese actually guest starred on).

Those bits you listed gave me a few mild laughs, but they didn't really blow me away.


Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Unke wrote:
Interesting thread. The first movie that comes to mind, on which I hold an opinion, which is highly unpopular in this forum, is ‘Inglorious Basterds’. I genuinely think that it is an awful movie at its core, from the idea to much of the execution, which is elevated to being quite watchable due to intermittent moments of pure genius. But it’s not a good movie at all.
Another unpopular opinion of mine: James Cameron is a technical pioneer, an expert action director and an overall competent filmmaker, but he is unimaginative and so mainstream that it hurts. If there is a choice between an original idea and a tried and trusted Hollywood cliché, Cameron always picks the latter. This is partially part of the scripts, which he chooses, but it extends to other aspects of his filmmaking.
On ‘Schindler’s List’:
Watching ‘Schindler’s List’ in the cinema was one of the most powerful and emotionally draining movie experiences I’ve had. It stunned me into silence. If someone had asked me about my opinion on it back then, I would have called it a masterpiece. I still kind of do whenever I remember the experience of watching it for the first time.
However, I watched it for a second time on TV some years later and started to think about the film rather than responding to it emotionally. And then it hit me: It is the wrong movie about the Holocaust and it could even be argued that it is in bad taste.
Now, Schindler’s List is very well-made in all aspects of moviemaking and I don’t mind repeating that it provokes a profound emotional response. But it shows the story of some 1,200 people being saved from genocide and, consequently, has a happy ending of sorts, which provides redemption for the protagonist and catharsis for the viewer, when the historically more important story - perhaps the only historically important story - is that six million Jews have been murdered on an industrial scale. I concede that the movie is historically accurate in telling a true life story as far as I can tell and that it is a story worth telling and remembering. However, ‘Schindler’s List’ has the ambition to be the definite Holocaust movie or it is at least discussed in those terms, although it focusses on the minor story of a survival of a few rather than the death of many. Further, the depiction of the (non-Jewish) German characters is decidedly uninteresting. The protagonist is a war profiteer who sees the light once he witnesses the atrocities in a concentration camp first hand and achieves redemption through saving others. His counterpart is a psychopath who kills and tortures for his personal pleasure. Again, both of the persons depicted in the film existed and their portrayal may well be accurate. But the interesting question about the Germans, who executed Hitler’s policy or who were aiding and abetting in the Holocaust, is how regular people from a culture with a long humanistic tradition could commit such atrocities or at least turn a blind eye to what was going on. ‘Schindler’s List’ doesn’t even address this topic, picking out a hero and a villain, who conform to the Hollywood mold. Finally, I would like to repeat a point made by Michael Haneke in a recent interview when he was asked about Steven Spielberg . (Haneke was very polite and trespectful in his statements on Spielberg, but you could read between the lines that he doesn’t appreciate the kinds of movies which Spielberg makes.) ‘Schindler’s List’ broke the cinematic taboo of explicitly showing what happened inside the gas chambers at Auschwitz, which looked a bit like showers. So Spielberg choses to show the Jewish victims as expecting to be led into showers and then suddenly realising what is about to happen to them. In doing so, he uses the techniques of making a suspense scene. Haneke has called this a Hollywoodisation of the Holocaust and, asked how he would film such a scene, said that he just wouldn’t. And you know what? He’s right.


First of all, I think the movie actually should be credited for its nuanced depictions of good and evil. I don't think Schindler is a Hollywood hero at all. He's a womanizer, he drinks a great deal, he's extraordinarily selfish (and self-interested) and it takes him a great deal of time to do the right thing. Meanwhile Fiennes' Goethe is a psychopath, but a fascinating one. A man learning what power really is and what power really means.

Now as to the Haneke point. One of the dominant themes (if you pardon my terribly ill-fitting word) of the Holocaust was arbitariness. If you read survivors' stories, you see this a lot. Why does Otto Frank live but Anne Frank die? Why did one group perish and one group survive? It shows up a great deal. And that's what the shower scene does. They get showers, but they could just have easily been murdered. Another group surely was. It's just luck, it's just arbitrary, as the scene depicts.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 426
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Damn looks like I'm behind in a great thread. Well here goes...

I've never quite understood what everybody else sees in The Seventh Seal. Yes there are interesting/well made scenes, however this film has always been my definition of a complete bore-fest, and remains to be the sole reason why I haven't explored any more of Bergman's work.

The same goes for Breathless. I don't care if the film has jump cuts, its still pretty dull and uninteresting.

I don't hate Quantum of Solace, though this could be biased because Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite Bond.

I'm not a fan of The Last Tango In Paris or its terrible subplot that diminishes the value of the main story.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Tue May 14, 2013 10:18 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7479
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JackBurns wrote:
Damn looks like I'm behind in a great thread. Well here goes...

I've never quite understood what everybody else sees in The Seventh Seal. Yes there are interesting/well made scenes, however this film has always been my definition of a complete bore-fest, and remains to be the sole reason why I haven't explored any more of Bergman's work.

The same goes for Breathless. I don't care if the film has jump cuts, its still pretty dull and uninteresting.

I don't hate Quantum of Solace, though this could be biased because Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite Bond.

I'm not a fan of The Last Tango In Paris or its terrible subplot that diminishes the value of the main story.


Agree on almost all of them, though the apartment scenes in Last Tango are good enough --great enough, really-- that I still can recommend it. You gotta see more Bergman though, dude. I also started with The Seventh Seal, wasn't impressed, waited awhile, and then when I finally got around to watching more I saw three **** movies from the man, and I don't give the quatro out very often.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 426
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JamesKunz wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
Damn looks like I'm behind in a great thread. Well here goes...

I've never quite understood what everybody else sees in The Seventh Seal. Yes there are interesting/well made scenes, however this film has always been my definition of a complete bore-fest, and remains to be the sole reason why I haven't explored any more of Bergman's work.

The same goes for Breathless. I don't care if the film has jump cuts, its still pretty dull and uninteresting.

I don't hate Quantum of Solace, though this could be biased because Daniel Craig is definitely my favorite Bond.

I'm not a fan of The Last Tango In Paris or its terrible subplot that diminishes the value of the main story.


Agree on almost all of them, though the apartment scenes in Last Tango are good enough --great enough, really-- that I still can recommend it. You gotta see more Bergman though, dude. I also started with The Seventh Seal, wasn't impressed, waited awhile, and then when I finally got around to watching more I saw three **** movies from the man, and I don't give the quatro out very often.


I just remember being really unsatisfied with The Last Tango In Paris. The apartment segments are the best parts of the film by far, yet everything else just seems out of place, and really took away from the grittiness of it all.

I do need to see something else of Bergmans. I have Wild Strawberries near the top of my queue actually. Recommended?

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1314
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
For me, Bergman didn't really catapult himself into the stratosphere of genius until the '60s. Nearly everything he did from "The Virgin Spring" onward is utterly brilliant (well, there are a few exceptions). "Fanny and Alexander" is one of my all-time favorite films. I'm trying to make a ritual out of watching it every holiday season (the whole first installment takes place during Christmas). I'd say skip the 3-hour theatrical version (which, while still very good, feels fragmented in parts) and go straight for the 5 1/2-hour TV version. Despite its length, not a moment ever feels extraneous.

I would also highly recommend "The Virgin Spring," "Through a Glass Darkly," "Winter Light," "The Silence," "Persona," "Shame," "Cries and Whispers," and "Autumn Sonata."


Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2234
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
moviemkr7 wrote:

-I think that Katherine Heigl has to be the worst actress in human history.


-I think that Turbulence and Fair Game are must-haves for Bad Movie Night because they're hilarious.

-I liked Deep Rising and Virus in a campy sort of way.





I think most people hate Katherine Heigl, so that's not an unpopular opinion. In fact, me liking her probably IS an unpopular opinion.

Deep Rising and Fair Game are great, guilty pleasure movies. They are a lot of fun. Virus was extremely mediocre and Turbulence was just awful. That has to contain the single worst Ray Liotta performance of all time.




Here's a couple for me:


Ang Lee's Hulk and Daredevil are two of the best super hero/comic book movies ever made IMO. Love them both!

I didn't particularly like Battlefield Earth, but I also don't think it's nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests.


Tue May 14, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
ilovemovies wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

-I think that Katherine Heigl has to be the worst actress in human history.


-I think that Turbulence and Fair Game are must-haves for Bad Movie Night because they're hilarious.

-I liked Deep Rising and Virus in a campy sort of way.





I think most people hate Katherine Heigl, so that's not an unpopular opinion. In fact, me liking her probably IS an unpopular opinion.

Deep Rising and Fair Game are great, guilty pleasure movies. They are a lot of fun. Virus was extremely mediocre and Turbulence was just awful. That has to contain the single worst Ray Liotta performance of all time.




Here's a couple for me:


Ang Lee's Hulk and Daredevil are two of the best super hero/comic book movies ever made IMO. Love them both!

I didn't particularly like Battlefield Earth, but I also don't think it's nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests.
I think Heigl is very divisive, some people like her some hate her, I like her films, here's an unorthodox opinion, I thought One For The Money was one of the most underrated films of 2012.


I too enjoyed Quantum Of Solace.

I thought both Daredevil(directors cut) and Elektra were fine films.

For me Liotta's worst performance was in "Phoenix", it was a rather mediocre crime drama, and Liotta looked utterly throughout the entire film.


Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 426
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
I too enjoyed Quantum Of Solace.


+1

I can understand why people dislike it, but I can't understand all the frothing hatred. Especially when some call it "the worst" or one of the worst Bond films.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Tue May 14, 2013 11:55 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
I think Heigl is very divisive, some people like her some hate her, I like her films, here's an unorthodox opinion, I thought One For The Money was one of the most underrated films of 2012.
"Underrated" implies that the movie was concerned good or even passable.


A few more unpopular opinions on my behalf:

I feel that J.J. Abrams still has yet to fully convince me that he is capable of handling the Star Wars mythology.

There is no tent-pole blockbuster this summer that I am dying to see. What with the end of the Harry Potter and Dark Knight trilogies, there really isn't a go-to franchise that I can look forward to every other year.

I thought that The Hunger Games improved upon the novel in certain aspects.

I think that the Justice League film is doomed to failure. There is no way that WB is getting it released by 2015.


Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I think Heigl is very divisive, some people like her some hate her, I like her films, here's an unorthodox opinion, I thought One For The Money was one of the most underrated films of 2012.
"Underrated" implies that the movie was concerned good or even passable.


A few more unpopular opinions on my behalf:

I feel that J.J. Abrams still has yet to fully convince me that he is capable of handling the Star Wars mythology.

There is no tent-pole blockbuster this summer that I am dying to see. What with the end of the Harry Potter and Dark Knight trilogies, there really isn't a go-to franchise that I can look forward to every other year.

I thought that The Hunger Games improved upon the novel in certain aspects.

I think that the Justice League film is doomed to failure. There is no way that WB is getting it released by 2015.

Well the film was based on a popular novel series, so it does have it's fans(the audience at my theater was actually clapping at the end) even though critics didn't like it, so I say it is underrated.


Anyways i'm excited for the Justice League film, I think it will get done in time and I don't think it's destined to fail in the least.

I'm super-excited to see Fast And Furious 6 and Star Trek Into Darkness, personally I thought Dark Knight Rises was a bit long in the tooth and would've benefited from a little trimming, also it had it's share of moments that came across really badly(that star spangled banner scene was shamelessly manipulative and groan inducing), plus I wasn't totally sold on Bane, he felt like a step backwards from the Joker, his ridiculous and almost unintelligible voice didn't help(seriously, his scenes were just begging for subtitles) Plus some of the political undertones rubbed me the wrong way(Sexual Chocolate said the film was "facist", I dunno if i'd go that far, but I definitely see where he's coming from)


Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 573
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Add me to the small list of people who thought that Quantum of Solace was a fine entry in the Bond franchise. In fact, those who didn't like are to me mostly peons who are too used to the old Bond formula.

Equilibrium is a highly underrated film and not just because it tried to introduce some interesting takes on martial arts with Gun Kata. Christian Bale put in a great performance as a big cog in a totalitarian machine that starts to break down once he comes off the artificial source of his adherence to the party line. Emily Watson was equally as good as the rebel who forces Bale's character to fully evaluate himself and what he has been doing in the name of peace and order.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Add me to the small list of people who thought that Quantum of Solace was a fine entry in the Bond franchise. In fact, those who didn't like are to me mostly peons who are too used to the old Bond formula.

Equilibrium is a highly underrated film and not just because it tried to introduce some interesting takes on martial arts with Gun Kata. Christian Bale put in a great performance as a big cog in a totalitarian machine that starts to break down once he comes off the artificial source of his adherence to the party line. Emily Watson was equally as good as the rebel who forces Bale's character to fully evaluate himself and what he has been doing in the name of peace and order.

Equlibrium was a great film indeed, it's a damn shame it got screwed over on it's theatrical release.


Wed May 15, 2013 1:49 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2234
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Equilibrium was awesome, but the director lost me when he decided to remake it into the horrendous Ultraviolet. One of the worst films of the past 10 years.


Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2522
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
JackBurns wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I too enjoyed Quantum Of Solace.


+1

I can understand why people dislike it, but I can't understand all the frothing hatred. Especially when some call it "the worst" or one of the worst Bond films.


QoS is actually a darn solid entry into the series. I rewatched it with fresh, objective eyes about 12 months ago and it is good through-and-through.

It's only problem is that it follows the ludicrously good (if a little overlong) Casino Royale.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 15, 2013 9:14 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2522
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Add me to the small list of people who thought that Quantum of Solace was a fine entry in the Bond franchise. In fact, those who didn't like are to me mostly peons who are too used to the old Bond formula.

Equilibrium is a highly underrated film and not just because it tried to introduce some interesting takes on martial arts with Gun Kata. Christian Bale put in a great performance as a big cog in a totalitarian machine that starts to break down once he comes off the artificial source of his adherence to the party line. Emily Watson was equally as good as the rebel who forces Bale's character to fully evaluate himself and what he has been doing in the name of peace and order.


You see, I disagree. I think the film hints at something deeper but settles for being essentially dumbed-down and shallow.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2234
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
NotHughGrant wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I too enjoyed Quantum Of Solace.


+1

I can understand why people dislike it, but I can't understand all the frothing hatred. Especially when some call it "the worst" or one of the worst Bond films.


QoS is actually a darn solid entry into the series. I rewatched it with fresh, objective eyes about 12 months ago and it is good through-and-through.

It's only problem is that it follows the ludicrously good (if a little overlong) Casino Royale.


I actually liked QOS more than Casino Royale.


Wed May 15, 2013 9:47 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Vexer wrote:
Frasier is OK but it lasted a bit longer then it should've, i'm also a big fan of Will And Grace(which John Cleese actually guest starred on).

Those bits you listed gave me a few mild laughs, but they didn't really blow me away.


Hello Vexer

I challenge you to show me any bits in any sitcom that do blow you away.


Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1746
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Jennifer Lawrence is a shitty actress with no range. I've never liked her in anything, and she didn't deserve the Oscar.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr