Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Movies that SHOULD have been better than they actually were 
Producer

Post Re: Movies that SHOULD have been better than they actually were
The last two Harry Potter films. What had a good run as a diverting, if aesthetically unremarkable series, ended with two completely unwatchable entries which were meant to be climactic. The decision to split the final book was entirely to blame. Both of these films move so slowly that they almost seem to be going backwards. After these travesties, I refuse to give Hobbit a chance.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 pm
Director

I like the last Harry Potter movie a lot.

Anger Management seemed to have the right premise and the right actors to make a really funny movie, but it's one of those movies executively produced by Adam Sandler, which is always a danger sign. So it's annoying rather than funny, Nicholson does his shtick again, and the end is really lazy.

Hancock has a good idea: what if Superman was a flaming a***ole, and runs with it for half the movie, but then peters out.

Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm
Critic

KWRoss wrote:
The Village-- I didn't think there would be a twist to rival Signs in all its awfulness, but man was I wrong. After this epic fail, I never saw another one of M. Night Shyamalan's movies. I'll give After Earth a shot since it looks different from his usual fare, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Prestige-- Christopher Nolan's only misfire. Again, the twist here was something a grade-schooler might find clever (he had a twin brother the entire time!), but for the rest of us, it's worth a patented "Patrick Stewart facepalm."

Agree with The Prestige, but never got the hate for the Village. I think it's a clever little Twilight Zone of a movie

Mon May 13, 2013 4:50 pm
Producer

Syd Henderson wrote:
Hancock has a good idea: what if Superman was a flaming a***ole, and runs with it for half the movie, but then peters out.

Superman has his moments.

Mon May 13, 2013 4:51 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
The last two Harry Potter films. What had a good run as a diverting, if aesthetically unremarkable series, ended with two completely unwatchable entries which were meant to be climactic. The decision to split the final book was entirely to blame. Both of these films move so slowly that they almost seem to be going backwards. After these travesties, I refuse to give Hobbit a chance.

Really? Deathly Hallows - Part 2 and Prisoner of Azkaban are easily the best in the series, and the final entry in the franchise is a thrill ride. "Entirely unwatchable" seems like a very strong opinion, and I don't think that it is a valid critique of the last two movies. I mean, the last film is only two hours long.

Mon May 13, 2013 5:52 pm
Producer

Quote:
Really? Deathly Hallows - Part 2 and Prisoner of Azkaban are easily the best in the series, and the final entry in the franchise is a thrill ride. "Entirely unwatchable" seems like a very strong opinion, and I don't think that it is a valid critique of the last two movies. I mean, the last film is only two hours long.

The way HP7 Part 2 is directed just kills me. Two hours may be shorter than the other films, but it still manages to stretch the material far beyond its capacity. The pacing is static and after a certain point it's like "enough already, just end it." Actually, I think Rowling deserves a lot of the blame. The material she provided in that last book doesn't hold up to the phrase "thrill ride." Not for me, anyway. More like obligation. I think Goblet of Fire is brilliant; the narrative high point of the series. But after that it seems like Rowling lost her ability to outsmart her readers. Much of the plot in the last three books seems derivative in a way that suggests fan fiction. And the horcrux plot is random and has no clever component to it at all. Overall, Deathly Hallows just doesn't have momentum. The opening robbery of the bank, for instance, just feels obligatory and unnecessary.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 pm
Director

Honestly, while I generally liked all 8 (or 7.5 depending on how you count them) Harry Potter movies, I can't say I ever felt a genuine investment in them, unlike the Middle-Earth saga, or, hell, even The Chronicles of Narnia. :? They were see-it-once'ers for me. And, perhaps worse, because of them, the Dark Is Rising saga will likely never be adapted for the big screen (granted, they tried adapting the eponymous second book, but the filmmakers basically turned it into watered-down HP :evil: ).

Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 pm
Cinematographer

While we're on the subject of acclaimed fantasy novels being translated over to film, the film adaptation of The Golden Compass had the potential to be great. But by the time the first part of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy hit the screen, all of the sharp edges and thought-provoking subject matter of the novel had been airbrushed out of existence.

Last edited by Blonde Almond on Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
While we're on the subject of acclaimed fantasy novels being translated over to film, the film adaptation of The Golden Compass had the potential to be great. But by the time the first part of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy hit the screen, all of the sharp edges and thought-provoking subject matter had been airbrushed out of existence.

Good call there.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm
Director

Oh boy, The Golden Compass. One of my most disappointed theatrical experience, along with Spiderman 3. I'm all for creative, different choices when it comes to adaptation, but when it's so obvious that the director/screenwriter is trying to appeal to the widest and youngest base, it's just disgusting. I can live with the slightly vanilla version of the story for the majority of the film, but when they forced a happy ending by cutting back the story before they got to the real ending (even though they filmed parts of it already!), it just rendered the whole story pointless and incomplete.

Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
Oh boy, The Golden Compass. One of my most disappointed theatrical experience, along with Spiderman 3. I'm all for creative, different choices when it comes to adaptation, but when it's so obvious that the director/screenwriter is trying to appeal to the widest and youngest base, it's just disgusting. I can live with the slightly vanilla version of the story for the majority of the film, but when they forced a happy ending by cutting back the story before they got to the real ending (even though they filmed parts of it already!), it just rendered the whole story pointless and incomplete.

Actually the director wanted to stay true to the source materials and the original filmed ending was considerably darker then what we got, but New Line didn't like it, so they chopped off at least 30 minutes worth of film in order to broaden the appeal of it, but don't expect to see the cut material anytime soon, according to the director, it would need at least 2 million dollars worth of FX shots to be watchable.

Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 am
Producer

Syd Henderson wrote:

Yeah, the first half of the movie is great. But unfortunately, it turns to crap when

[Reveal] Spoiler:
we find out that Charlize Theron's character is from the same planet as Hancock and has his abilities and all.

Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 am
Director

Chronicles of Riddick
After Pitch Black (which imo was pretty good), you'd think the much, much (like 3x as much) higher budget follow up would be better in every way imaginable. But instead we got a weird mess, with lots of politics and a bunch of stuff about destiny with Riddick being the chosen one. And Dame Judy Dench was in it. WTF?
Hopefully this years follow up (Riddick http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/), will reboot this promising franchise - the budget has certainly been pared back (which in this case might actually be a good thing).

Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 am
Cinematographer

I feel the same way about The Chronicles of Riddick. One of my friends feels the opposite, having seen Chronicles first and then Pitch Black. It seems bizarre to follow a horror movie with an action movie, but due to that total shift, it may be that the viewing order so sets up the expectation that it is not easily overcome.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am
Auteur

CasualDad wrote:
I feel the same way about The Chronicles of Riddick. One of my friends feels the opposite, having seen Chronicles first and then Pitch Black. It seems bizarre to follow a horror movie with an action movie, but due to that total shift, it may be that the viewing order so sets up the expectation that it is not easily overcome.

I personally liked Chronicles better myself, did you see the directors cut of the film?

Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

I personally liked Chronicles better myself, did you see the directors cut of the film?

I have not seen the director's cut. I like "The Chronicle of Riddick" quite a bit, but was thrown off by the shift to action from the horror of "Pitch Black". Nothing wrong with that shift, I just wasn't mentally prepared for it when I viewed the movie. Overall, I prefer a good horror movie to a good action movie. Just checked and IMDB doesn't list horror as a genre associated with "Pitch Black", but it certainly struck me as pretty much a straight up horror film. Since Pitch wasn't exactly an event movie when released, I had high hopes that the creators of Chronicles were going to build upon the first movie and create an epic horror. They made a pretty exciting action flick, but my inability to view it objectively left me wanting something else.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:21 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

The way HP7 Part 2 is directed just kills me. Two hours may be shorter than the other films, but it still manages to stretch the material far beyond its capacity. The pacing is static and after a certain point it's like "enough already, just end it." Actually, I think Rowling deserves a lot of the blame. The material she provided in that last book doesn't hold up to the phrase "thrill ride." Not for me, anyway. More like obligation. I think Goblet of Fire is brilliant; the narrative high point of the series. But after that it seems like Rowling lost her ability to outsmart her readers. Much of the plot in the last three books seems derivative in a way that suggests fan fiction. And the horcrux plot is random and has no clever component to it at all. Overall, Deathly Hallows just doesn't have momentum. The opening robbery of the bank, for instance, just feels obligatory and unnecessary.

I actually think that Rowling's writing became much more mature as the story developed. Everything after Prisoner of Azkaban (in terms of the books) and Chamber of Secrets (in terms of movies) felt much darker and more daring than anything in previous installments of the series.

Speaking of The Chronicles of Narnia, does anyone else think that those films were a total mess? Granted, Lion, Witch, Wardrobe wasn't entirely bad, but everything after that felt like a watered-down version of The Lord of the Rings for the below-12 crowd. Such a waste of perfectly good source material. I don't even want to think about how a future installment in the series might be handled.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:27 pm
Director

One I mentioned recently was Les Enfants Terribles, the Cocteau/Melville collaboration (which to be fair, is highly regarded by a lot of people). To me, it's a potentially fascinating story ruined by the miscasting of the brother-sister pair (the actors look (and are) ten years older than the teenagers they're playing) and an annoying narration by Cocteau.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

I actually think that Rowling's writing became much more mature as the story developed. Everything after Prisoner of Azkaban (in terms of the books) and Chamber of Secrets (in terms of movies) felt much darker and more daring than anything in previous installments of the series.

Speaking of The Chronicles of Narnia, does anyone else think that those films were a total mess? Granted, Lion, Witch, Wardrobe wasn't entirely bad, but everything after that felt like a watered-down version of The Lord of the Rings for the below-12 crowd. Such a waste of perfectly good source material. I don't even want to think about how a future installment in the series might be handled.
I found the Narnia films to be a mess, I thought Golden Compass was considerably better then they were.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 pm
Auteur

CasualDad wrote:
Vexer wrote:
CasualDad wrote:

I have not seen the director's cut. I like "The Chronicle of Riddick" quite a bit, but was thrown off by the shift to action from the horror of "Pitch Black". Nothing wrong with that shift, I just wasn't mentally prepared for it when I viewed the movie. Overall, I prefer a good horror movie to a good action movie. Just checked and IMDB doesn't list horror as a genre associated with "Pitch Black", but it certainly struck me as pretty much a straight up horror film. Since Pitch wasn't exactly an event movie when released, I had high hopes that the creators of Chronicles were going to build upon the first movie and create an epic horror. They made a pretty exciting action flick, but my inability to view it objectively left me wanting something else.

You should definitely check out the directors cut as it adds more to the story, I actually saw Chronicles before Pitch Black, so maybe that's why I like it more.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next