Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616 ... 801  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Auteur

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Syd Henderson wrote:
Butler's okay in Nim's Island, which is really Abigail Breslin and Jodie Foster's film. But when he plays a romantic lead, you want a restraining order.

Yeah, he wasn't too impressive in The Ugly Truth, still like him better then Hugh Grant though.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Who's a pedophile?

David Warner (Henry Niles). He might even be the most disturbing aspect of the movie.

She's not remotely prepubescent, so he's not a pedophile. He's also clearly retarded and doesn't understand his attraction to her, not to mention she initiates the relationship. Pedophile is becoming one of those words like "fascist" and "rape" that needs to be put behind glass saying "Break only in case of emergency"

Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 am
Critic

Mud (2012) ***1/2

I had a choice between Mud and the Place Behind the Pines and I can't say I'm regretting it, though I no doubt would have liked the latter too (and hope to see it). Mud is a very interesting film, with echoes of Huckleberry Finn and Shane set in a modern age, and I'd be very surprised if I see 10 better films than it by the end of the year. Go see it!

Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 am
Director

Quote:
She's not remotely prepubescent, so he's not a pedophile. He's also clearly retarded and doesn't understand his attraction to her, not to mention she initiates the relationship. Pedophile is becoming one of those words like "fascist" and "rape" that needs to be put behind glass saying "Break only in case of emergency"

Well there was clearly some concern about his interaction with younger girls prior to the incident. Maybe it was just the villagers being bullies, but they implied that there was some past history. "He's been hanging around the young girls again" and so forth.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:40 pm
Assistant Director

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1827487/
This is a deliberately slow paced Turkish drama, clocking in at 2:30. The photography, especially at night, is simply stunning. The acting is of a consistently high calibre and the dialogue is at times almost Tarantino-isk with lots of irreverent chatter. The majority of the film revolves around the police, together with a prosecutor and medical examiner, taking two suspects around the Anatolian countryside at night in order to find their murder victim (which they had previously confessed to) - the problem is they can't quite remember where they buried the body.
It's probably somewhat too long (20 minutes shorter would have ensured it doesn't wear out it's welcome), and the ending comes on suddenly and doesn't offer much in the way of resolution. Nonetheless, it's well worth checking out if you love beautiful scenery and don't mind the subtitles.
8/10.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 pm
Producer

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: Hideko Takamine plays Keiko (affectionally nicknamed "Mama"), a bar hostess who, at the age of thirty, is nearing the point where her looks will start to fade and she's facing the necessity of either marrying a client or starting her own bar. Since she's still devoted to her late husband, starting her own bar seems the better option, but it's difficult to get the money and she has to beg her clients while other financial problems keep coming up.

This is an excellent movie by Mikio Naruse which is a bit weaker toward the end when plot mechanics get in the way, but that's a quibble. Hideko Takamine, who I'd previously only seen in The Human Condition: A Soldier's Story (and promptly forgot I had), is wonderful, and the movie is full of great supporting performances by the likes of Masayuki Mori, Daisuke Kato, Tatsuya Nakadai, Reiko Dan and Keiko Awaji. Naruse has a considerably different directing style than Mizoguchi, with more cutting and camera movement. The movie isn't quite as strong on cinematography as Mizoguchi, but I think Naruse's a bit better with actors. Or maybe it's because he has Takamine as his leading lady. (8.5 of 10)

Edit: Watching it with commentary on, I notice Naruse doesn't actually move the camera much, it's that the editing makes it seem like he does.

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm
Director

Quote:
Upstream Color (2013) ???

Caught this in the Music Box in Chicago, and it makes Primer look positively simple. Long stretches without dialogue, utterly baffling scenes...gotta go read about this one

this just came out on dvd

Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 pm
Second Unit Director

The Great Gatsby
Ignore the naysayers, this is an incredible film. It's been a long time since I read the book, but it left zero impression on me at the time, so I can't comment on accuracy, but as a film, it works almost perfectly. There are a few flaws, such as the opening sequences which I felt were horribly structured and edited, in addition to over relying on voice over. But once Gatsby's been introduced, things settle down and the film finds it's rhythm.

As far as I'm concerned this is a dream cast for this film with out a bad performance. DiCaprio was a perfect choice to play Gatsby. However, whoever was playing Daisy was a little weak, but I blame the story. I don't think you could get away with creating such a prominent female character today so lacking in agency and autonomy. There's a scene later on where the male characters talk at length about her feelings and she doesn't say a damn thing for quite some time. Jordan was a far more interesting character in this regard. We get several scenes where we get to hear her thoughts and no one was even chasing after her.

So outside of the opening sequences, which could have been extended a bit, this a fantastic experience. I saw it in 2D and it worked fine in that format. JB said he felt that the filmmakers might have been restricted by the pg13 rating, so between that and the choppy nature of the opening sequences, I couldn't help but wonder if there was an extended cut out there. I would be interested in seeing that.

Three and a half out of Four stars.

Sun May 12, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Very slow moving, and at times confusing (this is what happens when you compress a six-hour miniseries into a two hour window), but well worth the effort. Gary Oldman is brilliant as always; calculating coldness personified. I was only vaguely familiar with the story, so I definitely found the narrative unpredictable. The ending and resolution of the mystery does not disappoint. This isn't one of my 2011 "catch-up" titles I'll remember with much detail, but in the moment, it's solid cerebral entertainment.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:53 am
Assistant Director

KWRoss wrote:
Very slow moving, and at times confusing (this is what happens when you compress a six-hour miniseries into a two hour window), but well worth the effort. Gary Oldman is brilliant as always; calculating coldness personified. I was only vaguely familiar with the story, so I definitely found the narrative unpredictable. The ending and resolution of the mystery does not disappoint. This isn't one of my 2011 "catch-up" titles I'll remember with much detail, but in the moment, it's solid cerebral entertainment.

I found this film almost impossible to follow (and I was trying). Once I lost track of what was happening, the film became insanely boring. I almost stopped watching it for this reason. I'd recommend TTS for people familiar with the source material only, and definitely NOT for the casual viewer.

Mon May 13, 2013 1:17 am
Director

nitrium wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I found this film almost impossible to follow (and I was trying). Once I lost track of what was happening, the film became insanely boring. I almost stopped watching it for this reason. I'd recommend TTS for people familiar with the source material only, and definitely NOT for the casual viewer.

That's perfectly okay. It's definitely not for everyone. Had I seen it in my late teens or early twenties, I probably would've been exactly on the same wavelength as you. At age 29 with more of an appreciation for patience, I enjoyed it more. Of course, I know a few older people who disliked it for the same reason. As for me, I wouldn't mind watching it again sometime to pick up on what I missed.

JamesKunz wrote:
Mud (2012) ***/12

I had a choice between Mud and the Place Behind the Pines and I can't say I'm regretting it, though I no doubt would have liked the latter too (and hope to see it). Mud is a very interesting film, with echoes of Huckleberry Finn and Shane set in a modern age, and I'd be very surprised if I see 10 better films than it by the end of the year. Go see it!

Three stars divided by 12? That's an interesting rating system you have there, buddy. ;)

But I agree wholeheartedly. I saw it today, and it works as both a coming of age story and as a slow-burn thriller. You definitely feel for the poor kid and how he's the only idealist in a community where everyone else is a little screwed up. And McCounaghey is the man. I wish he had done more of roles like this one and Killer Joe earlier in his career and less of those stupid rom-coms.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 pm
Producer

Les Enfants Terrible: Yes they're terrible all right, and I was hoping they'd get hit by a truck. A Cocteau/Melville collaboration with a particularly annoying voice-over by Cocteau, and two leads who seem to be in different movies. Nicole Stephane can certainly chew the scenery and Edouard Dermithe is mostly just there or being annoying. (5.5 of 10 and I'm being generous.)

Edit: Stephane was 27 at the time and Dermithe was 25, and they both look ten years older than the parts they're playing.

Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 am
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Les Enfants Terrible: Yes they're terrible all right

The guy in my profile pic would probably agree, although in his case it's a different "terrible children." ;)

Continuing my May movie binge....

The Cabin in the Woods

I'm not much of a horror fan, but I understand the common cliches of the genre. This movie was awesome. It's a "have your cake and eat it too" kind of experience; it satirizes the genre while simultaneously existing as a card-carrying member of it. And I'd say it does a better job than Scream in that respect. I'm not sure how much of it was intended to be funny, but I laughed my ass off a lot, even during the killing scenes and the all-out mayhem of the final 20 minutes. And I like the fact that the movie ends with the Ancient Ones rising up and presumably destroying the world. Nice to have a genre movie like this just go ahead and let the bad guys win once in a while.

Yeah, I know, that's a spoiler. But the movie came out over a year ago. Statute of limitations is over. :)

Tue May 14, 2013 11:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Pain & Gain (2013) 2.5/4

I didn’t think the most recent Michael Bay film was going to be better than Shane Black’s Iron Man 3, but lately I don’t even question things anymore. Overall I found Pain & Gain to be a pretty good amount of fun. Bay’s message of the American Dream may not be revolutionary but it still works to some degree. The message isn’t meaningful, and in all honestly I don’t think it’s trying to be. Bay simply gives us stupid characters that think they deserve more, and he allows us to watch them go about their shenanigans. Pain & Gain may be a little more than what you expect, but that’s about it.

Upstream Color (2013) 3.5/4

This is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences that I’ve had in filmdom this year. Watching Upstream Color is difficult, yet at the same time it’s completely transfixing—demanding the upmost attention from the viewer. It’s hard to fully discern what exactly the film is about. It surely focuses on human connection, and different aspects of love and loss. There are a lot of questions that lurk around the film, most of which that deal with the logic of it all. There are definitely some issues here and there. I can’t say this is a perfect film, but I’m a sucker for ambition.

The Woman Who Wasn’t There (TV)(2012) 2.5/4

The title demolishes any real sense of mystery to this documentary. You know where it’s going, even if you don’t have any prior knowledge to the events. The film feels like it’s building to a big reveal, but it can’t. The viewer already knows what it’s going to say. This aspect brings the film down a notch in my book, however the information given through this doc is somewhat interesting—I only wish it would have examined “The Woman” more closely, because ultimately I still knew little about the films main interest. Even with all the complaints, The Woman Who Wasn’t There is a pretty simple watch, and it boasts some great hand drawn stills that serve as solid reenactments.

The Great Gatsby (2013) 2.5/4

There’s a line in the film where Jay Gatsby asks Nick Carraway “Do you think this is too much?” where Carraway replies, “ I think it’s what you want.” This exchange sums up my feelings about the film in a way. Luhrmann plunges the story of a mysterious man into a visual wonderland, and it never feels like it’s for the better. This visual style smoothers the film in some regard, and any small glimpses of emotion or characterization are completely washed away. Luhrmann adds to the visual element of the film by backing it with a thumping soundtrack of modern day musicians. At times the soundtrack can be a bit overwhelming, making the dialogue hard to hear. The soundtrack isn’t always consistent for that matter. It’s constantly evident within the first half of the film, but by the time the third act begins it almost vanishes. The film is partly saved by its performances, although I can’t say I found any of them to be exceptional. Ultimately, I couldn’t find an emotional hook in a clearly emotional story. Luhrmann gives viewers a truly interesting setting, but with this he creates a story that becomes extremely hollow.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 pm
Producer

Out of the Past is a good film noir that a lot of people rank among the best. I wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly an essential noir with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas both falling prey to Jane Greer, playing a quintessentially fatal femme fatale. Look at her face in the fight at the cabin where she's feeling hot from blood lust. Directed by Jacques Tourneur, whose films are always worth watching. (7.5 of 10)

Wed May 15, 2013 1:36 am
Cinematographer

JackBurns wrote:
The Great Gatsby (2013) 2.5/4

There’s a line in the film where Jay Gatsby asks Nick Carraway “Do you think this is too much?” where Carraway replies, “ I think it’s what you want.” This exchange sums up my feelings about the film in a way. Luhrmann plunges the story of a mysterious man into a visual wonderland, and it never feels like it’s for the better. This visual style smoothers the film in some regard, and any small glimpses of emotion or characterization are completely washed away. Luhrmann adds to the visual element of the film by backing it with a thumping soundtrack of modern day musicians. At times the soundtrack can be a bit overwhelming, making the dialogue hard to hear. The soundtrack isn’t always consistent for that matter. It’s constantly evident within the first half of the film, but by the time the third act begins it almost vanishes. The film is partly saved by its performances, although I can’t say I found any of them to be exceptional. Ultimately, I couldn’t find an emotional hook in a clearly emotional story. Luhrmann gives viewers a truly interesting setting, but with this he creates a story that becomes extremely hollow.

Ah yes, Baz Luhrman. There isn't enough crystal meth and speed in the world to allow me to watch another of his films with anything other than a desire to put a 5 million CC needle full of Valium into him and squeeze the plunger.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 am
Second Unit Director

The Spy who came in from the Cold (1965)
Based on the novel by John Le Carré (which I haven't read), 'The Spy who came in from the Cold' is about a burnt-out British secret service agent (Richard Burton) in Cold War-era Berlin, who suffers a series of failures and is recalled back to London. The head of MI6, Control, seemingly demotes him, sending the spy into further depression and alcoholism and ultimately provoking him to defect, which is an elaborate ruse to get at the head of East German intelligence.
Oh dear, I should have really loved this film. It is an intelligent, realistic spy thriller with a cynical edge. It has crisp black and white cinematography, which is very effective particularly in the early scenes set at Berlin's Checkpoint Charlie. It is character-based and well-acted (Richard Burton is great playing a burnt-out alcoholic, although, in the light of his biography, that probably wasn't much of a stretch.) Its bleak ending is the consequence of what has gone on before (rather than the tacked-on happy endings marring many mainstream movies). Yet, it took me three sessions to watch this film, because I fell asleep each time. There is a moment when the movie becomes very talky (once the East German spies start to interrogate the apparent defector) and that's when I couldn't escape Morpheus embrace. It's a good movie, but its sleep-inducing qualities keep it from being very good or a masterpiece. 7/10

Killers (2013)
Ashton Kutcher is a CIA agent who marries the unsuspecting Katherine Heigl. Soon, both are targeted by assassins.
If you want to test your retching reflex, 'Killers' is the movie for you. Unlikebale leads, a by-the-numbers plot, no fun and hideously filmed action scenes make this a very bad movie. 2/10 (Note: I only watched about half of it; life's too short to watch 'Killers'.)

Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold (1975)
It doesn't seem logical that a 6 feet 2 African-American model, who dresses in garish 70ies fashion - one dress is the clothing equivalent of a disco ball -, should be chosen to go undercover in Hong Kong in order to bust a narcotics ring, but that's what Cleopatra Jones (Tamara Dobson) does with a vengenace and questionable Kung Fu skills. Do you think that the "Mrs. Big" of the organisation - a sword-wielding lesbian Gwei Lo running a casino in Macao - stands a chance?
If you are searching for a cheesy 70ies exploitation flick in order to get a few good laughs out of it, look no further. 'Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold' is a hoot if you are in the right frame of mind (i.e. heavily intoxicated). I particularly liked how some of Cleo's local assistants are announced as motorcycling specialists and still manage to fall off their bikes very frequently. You rarely see this type of incompetence in movie car (or motorbike) chases. Suffice it to say that by all normal standards, this isn't a good film at all. Since the bad and the so-bad-it's-good entertainment factor cancel each other out, I'll rate this as a mediocre 5/10

Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 am
Producer

Unke wrote:
Killers (2013)
Ashton Kutcher is a CIA agent... Katherine Heigl.

I can't believe you bothered to break the seal on this one in the first place. Some movies are like bees: they have readily-visible cues that warn you to stay away.

Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Unke wrote:
Killers (2013)

I can't believe you bothered to break the seal on this one in the first place. Some movies are like bees: they have readily-visible cues that warn you to stay away.

My excuse is that I had to iron some shirts and there was nothing else on the telly. Once I was finished with the shirts, I happily switched off the TV to clean the bathroom ...

Wed May 15, 2013 7:10 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
Unke wrote:
Killers (2013)

:lol: :lol:

Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616 ... 801  Next