Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 pm

So, "Iron Man 3"... (SPOILER ALERT) 
Cinematographer

Post Re: So, "Iron Man 3"... (SPOILER ALERT)
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Here are some things that don't make sense:

Tony's suits we're supposedly destroyed in the initial Mandarin attack (except the mk42 he was wearing). Why is he able to summon 30+ of them at the end? Why did he wait so long? Why didn't he immediately summon them whenever he got to tennessee? He could have had himself a brand new suit throughout the whole film. All of those suits could have rescued the falling people from air force one easily, they could have stormed the mansion before Jame's badge dale's character even blew air force one up.

And no, I won't accept, "derp, well there wouldn't be a movie had that happened." That is just sloppy writing.

Tony getting his shrapnel out at the end. The procedure could be done then, but not in Iron Man 1 or 2? I guess the studio did this to let Robert Downey Jr. end his rain as iron man and pass the torch to someone, but whatever.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I hate sloppy writing.

If it weren't for Robert Downey, Jr., this movie would be getting pummeled by critics. It just goes to show how much he manages to elevate this material. But let's be serious: this isn't a great movie. It certainly doesn't measure up to the original Iron Man.

Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Tony's suits we're supposedly destroyed in the initial Mandarin attack (except the mk42 he was wearing). Why is he able to summon 30+ of them at the end? Why did he wait so long? Why didn't he immediately summon them whenever he got to tennessee? He could have had himself a brand new suit throughout the whole film. All of those suits could have rescued the falling people from air force one easily, they could have stormed the mansion before Jame's badge dale's character even blew air force one up.

And no, I won't accept, "derp, well there wouldn't be a movie had that happened." That is just sloppy writing.

Tony getting his shrapnel out at the end. The procedure could be done then, but not in Iron Man 1 or 2? I guess the studio did this to let Robert Downey Jr. end his rain as iron man and pass the torch to someone, but whatever.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I hate sloppy writing.

If it weren't for Robert Downey, Jr., this movie would be getting pummeled by critics. It just goes to show how much he manages to elevate this material. But let's be serious: this isn't a great movie. It certainly doesn't measure up to the original Iron Man.
Well for some of us it was a great movie. It may not measure up to the original, but IMO it's a better film then Captain America and Thor.

Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Well for some of us it was a great movie. It may not measure up to the original, but IMO it's a better film then Captain America and Thor.

I understand, but I still think that far too many people are being lenient on it. I just hope that Thor 2 is much more compelling. It has much smaller shoes to fill (unfair, I know, but so the world goes), and the trailers make the movie seem very epic in terms of scale. Then again, the same argument could be made for Iron Man 3's promos.

Well, hopefully, Loki won't be a washed-up actor this time around.

Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm
Director

Quote:
If it weren't for Robert Downey, Jr., this movie would be getting pummeled by critics.

Downey Jr. as Tony Stark must be the biggest star-driven box office draw in movie history, right? Captain Jack Sparrow was one thing, but this is just unprecedented.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I understand, but I still think that far too many people are being lenient on it. I just hope that Thor 2 is much more compelling. It has much smaller shoes to fill (unfair, I know, but so the world goes), and the trailers make the movie seem very epic in terms of scale. Then again, the same argument could be made for Iron Man 3's promos.

Well, hopefully, Loki won't be a washed-up actor this time around.

Honestly i'm not really that enthused for Thor 2,
the trailers didn't really impress me much, so I might just wait until that one hits DVD before seeing it.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
the trailers didn't really impress me much, so I might just wait until that one hits DVD before seeing it.

During the trailers for IRON MAN 3, I thought a lot of these second installments-- THOR 2, HUNGER GAMES- CATCHING FIRE and STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS-- have a lot of potential. With the origins over with, we can get down to the nitty gritty with a dramatic, Empire Strikes Back-esque story. Or so I hope.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:32 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

During the trailers for IRON MAN 3, I thought a lot of these second installments-- THOR 2, HUNGER GAMES- CATCHING FIRE and STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS-- have a lot of potential. With the origins over with, we can get down to the nitty gritty with a dramatic, Empire Strikes Back-esque story. Or so I hope.

I hope thats the case with Star Trek 2, going to see that one with my mom.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 pm
Producer

Sean wrote:
But let's be serious: this isn't a great movie. It certainly doesn't measure up to the original Iron Man.

How can you ask us to be serious, then say something as hilarious as "this isn't a great movie" without any irony or sarcasm? Is there anybody on Planet Earth who expected this to be anything more than an entertaining diversion?

Know what else isn't a great movie? Almost every movie ever made. Including the first Iron Man.

Most of these modern superhero movies fall within a very narrow dynamic range of quality. Perhaps some of them are awesome and some of them suck strictly in relation to each other, but otherwise there's not much differentiation. They're mostly pretty good.

---

In other news, this movie theater manager thought he would enliven a screening of Iron Man 3 by hiring actors to pose as armed gunmen and storm the theater.

No, that is not an Onion article.

Sun May 12, 2013 2:37 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Sean wrote:
But let's be serious: this isn't a great movie. It certainly doesn't measure up to the original Iron Man.

How can you ask us to be serious, then say something as hilarious as "this isn't a great movie" without any irony or sarcasm? Is there anybody on Planet Earth who expected this to be anything more than an entertaining diversion?

Know what else isn't a great movie? Almost every movie ever made. Including the first Iron Man.

Most of these modern superhero movies fall within a very narrow dynamic range of quality. Perhaps some of them are awesome and some of them suck strictly in relation to each other, but otherwise there's not much differentiation. They're mostly pretty good.

---

In other news, this movie theater manager thought he would enliven a screening of Iron Man 3 by hiring actors to pose as armed gunmen and storm the theater.

No, that is not an Onion article.

I'm simply saying that this latest installment does not generate a valid argument for continuing this franchise. The first Iron Man was not great in the sense that it was one of the best movies ever made; it was just a terrific comic-book movie. The same should be said about Iron Man 3, but sadly, it simply cannot be.

Sun May 12, 2013 3:11 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

The suits were hidden in a vault beneath the lowest level of his Malibu house and were likely older models that he created and put away due in part to his anxiety issue. I think that the small army of suits wasn't brought into play sooner *MAYBE* because Tony wanted to wait until he actually knew where the President had been taken before bringing out the big guns.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

They could have fixed it with one line about how the technology in medicine had progressed to the point where Tony's shrapnel could now be removed safely. Oh well, it wasn't enough of a distraction for me, and neither were any of the other holes which to me were fairly small.

Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 pm
Cinematographer

The words "poor taste" (given last year's tragedy in Aurora, CO) and "idiocy" get tossed around a lot, but in this case...

If this manager still has a job, I'd be surprised. What a fucking moron.

Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 pm