Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Assistant Director

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Well *takes some air*

I hated Transformers even as basic, mindless fun. Easily one of the worst films I've seen in recent years.

I found The Matrix to be a film with all style and little to no substance, and badly acted to boot. I can slightly enjoy some action moments, and Hugo Weaving's performance, but that's about it. And the sequels are even worse.

I've enjoyed most of Roland Emmerich's films, with the exception of Independence Day, which I can barely stand. I even enjoyed 10,000 BC.

I think The Blair Witch Project is one of the most brilliant and effective experiments in filmmaking.

Borderline disliked Rescue Dawn. Surprisingly, Christian Bale was awful in it while Steve zahn was pretty darn good.

I really didn't care for The Seventh Seal.

I enjoyed 28 Weeks Later considerably more than 28 Days Later.

Although I love Alien, I think Aliens is way better than it. I also think Alien3 is an effective sequel, despite all its flaws. Alien Resurrection also has some things going for it, if taken as a single film. As a sequel, it mostly sucks.

I thought Superman Returns was pretty good.

The Terminator is better than Terminator 2. And Terminator 3 is either equal, or maybe even superior in some aspects, to T2. I also thought Terminator Salvation was decent.

I haven't seen M. Night Shyamalan's last three films, but I think The Sixth Sense is his weakest film and The Village is his best. The latter is probably my favorite film of that year.

Overall, I don't care that much for Scorsese's films. I like them, but that's about it.

My body is ready.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I suppose I should add that I adored Superman Returns to the list of unpopular opinions, since those who like it here seem to hedger their opinion a bit on how much they like it.
-Jeremy

Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I've never liked [i]High [Noon/i] and Gary Cooper looks like he's suffering from hemorrhoids, which he was.

I'm also not a fan of "The Grapes of Wrath" but I prefer "Pinocchio" and "The Philadelphia Story" to "Rebecca."

Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 pm
Director

A lot of people consider Independence Day to be a bad movie. I consider it to be so bad that it's actually pretty awesome. Plus, it's got Will Smith saying "Welcome to Earf," and you can't beat that.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm
Assistant Director

-I think Michelle Williams is an okay actress but has NO screen presence.

-I love Anaconda, Speed Racer, and think that Tommy Boy is one of cinema's finest and funniest comedies (and it's a great pick me up).

-I'm not a big fan of Laurence Olivier.

-Everyone knows my utter hatred for Wes Anderson

-I thought Fight Club was interesting but ultimately overlong and not worth one's time.

-I think Jason Bateman is long past his prime and has long since become insufferable.

-I think that Paul Walker, while not an amazing actor, gets a hell of a lot more flak than he deserves.

-Luke Wilson comes across as a mediocre actor who I can imagine going on and on about the subtleties of his character when his "character" is really a lame sounding board for jokes that would have been funny had they been delivered by someone else.

-I think that Vincent D'Onofrio is a decent actor, but every time I saw Van Goren on CI I wanted to put an ax through the TV

-I'm not a violent person, but I had to see "Ghost World" twice, and each time I was constantly wishing Enid would run into Leatherface. Or preferably, Jigsaw.

-I too like Independence Day, National Treasure, and Congo

-I love everything James Cameron has ever done (on more than a technical level), except The Abyss, which was an interesting misfire (but still good).

-I think Raiders of the Lost ark is fun, but overrated. And Temple of Doom is the best of the original 3. And I loved Crystal Skulls.

-I love the Star Wars prequels.

-I think Cube is an abortion of a movie, and May is crap.

-I think that All About Eve and The Philadelphia Story are overrated.

-I hated My Super Ex-Girlfriend and The Family Stone.

More to come soon as I read more posts to jog my memory.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Captain America is as good...maybe slightly better than Iron Man.

The Spirit is a legitimately good movie hated by idiots who wanted every dark since The Dark Knight came out.

The only good Mad Max movie is Beyond Thunderdome...and even calling it good is pushing it.

Tim Burton is not worth defending and hasn't been since Sleepy Hollow.

Pan's Labyrinth is just OK....like every other Guillermo Del Toro movie

The first half of The Happening is a wonderful apocalyptic thriller...the other half, however, *shudders*

My favorite of the Star Wars OT is New Hope

I found the Halloween remake to be just as good as the original....and the original wasn't that good anyways.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunter is a wonderful parody of the darker and edgier fairy tales that's been creeping up lately.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Captain America is as good...maybe slightly better than Iron Man.

The Spirit is a legitimately good movie hated by idiots who wanted every dark since The Dark Knight came out.

The only good Mad Max movie is Beyond Thunderdome...and even calling it good is pushing it.

Tim Burton is not worth defending and hasn't been since Sleepy Hollow.

Pan's Labyrinth is just OK....like every other Guillermo Del Toro movie

The first half of The Happening is a wonderful apocalyptic thriller...the other half, however, *shudders*

My favorite of the Star Wars OT is New Hope

I found the Halloween remake to be just as good as the original....and the original wasn't that good anyways.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunter is a wonderful parody of the darker and edgier fairy tales that's been creeping up lately.
I think The Happening's second half is pretty funny and enjoyable, speaking of M Night, I thought Sixth Sense was an overrated piece of garbage, Unbreakable was mediocre at best, Signs was inredibly stupid and had one of the worst twist endings of all time.

The Ring was a poor remake and not scary in the least.

The first Saw film was hardly any better then the sequels and the twist was very predictable

I didn't hate The Spirit, I just found it to be too much style and not enough substance(plus the terrible dialogue didn't help)

Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 pm
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
-I think Michelle Williams is an okay actress but has NO screen presence.

-I love Anaconda, Speed Racer, and think that Tommy Boy is one of cinema's finest and funniest comedies (and it's a great pick me up).

-I'm not a big fan of Laurence Olivier.

-Everyone knows my utter hatred for Wes Anderson

-I thought Fight Club was interesting but ultimately overlong and not worth one's time.

-I think Jason Bateman is long past his prime and has long since become insufferable.

-I think that Paul Walker, while not an amazing actor, gets a hell of a lot more flak than he deserves.

-Luke Wilson comes across as a mediocre actor who I can imagine going on and on about the subtleties of his character when his "character" is really a lame sounding board for jokes that would have been funny had they been delivered by someone else.

-I think that Vincent D'Onofrio is a decent actor, but every time I saw Van Goren on CI I wanted to put an ax through the TV

-I'm not a violent person, but I had to see "Ghost World" twice, and each time I was constantly wishing Enid would run into Leatherface. Or preferably, Jigsaw.

-I too like Independence Day, National Treasure, and Congo

-I love everything James Cameron has ever done (on more than a technical level), except The Abyss, which was an interesting misfire (but still good).

-I think Raiders of the Lost ark is fun, but overrated. And Temple of Doom is the best of the original 3. And I loved Crystal Skulls.

-I love the Star Wars prequels.

-I think Cube is an abortion of a movie, and May is crap.

-I think that All About Eve and The Philadelphia Story are overrated.

-I hated My Super Ex-Girlfriend and The Family Stone.

More to come soon as I read more posts to jog my memory.

Super Ex has a 39% on RT, so that's not really all that "unpopular" of an opinion.

Not really a big Indiana Jones fan

Speaking of Bateman, i'm probably the only person who actually liked Teen Wolf Too.

Titanic is a cinematic abortion of a film that should've never been made

I don't think Hilary Swank is that great of an actress, Million Dollar Baby was a mediocre film that didn't deserve to win an Oscar, honestly I prefered Next Karate Kid over that film :lol:

The Usual Suspects is not a clever or memorable film

The Aviator was a lousy biopic, Shutter Island was a complete mess, The Departed was good but not spectacular.

I too enjoyed Gigli, also thought Phantoms was pretty good.

I think Ghosts Of Mars is one of John Carpenter's better films.

I think Hills Have Eyes Part 2(the sequel to the remake) is a pretty damn good film.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm
Director

Earlier I stated that I find Unbreakable to be better than The Sixth Sense. I also enjoy the much maligned The Village more.

Demolition Man is a very funny parody of dystopian future sci-fi movies.

Good Will Hunting is good not great and the basic story is more conventional than some people seem to realize. Also, Robin Williams was pretty pro forma in that movie and should not have beaten Burt Reynolds at the Oscars.

Moulin Rouge is way better than Chicago, Across The Universe, Mamma Mia and Rock Of Ages.

The Rock is Michael Bay's best movie.

Dazed And Confused is the best high school movie of all-time.

Boogie Nights was the best movie of 1997 (I know most people pick The Sweet Hereafter and it's good).

I generally prefer Richard Linklater's work over Steven Sodervergh's. I find it to be edgier, more genuinely challenging and less journeyman than a lot of his recent stuff.

Sean wrote:
8. Dreamgirls and Les Mis are dreadful musicals

While I liked Dreamgirls enough to include it on my best of 2006 list, in some ways I feel it did get a tad overpraised at the time. Les Miserables was a letdown. While we're on the subject I actually liked Idlewild better than Dreamgirls.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Earlier I stated that I find Unbreakable to be better than The Sixth Sense. I also enjoy the much maligned The Village more.

Demolition Man is a very funny parody of dystopian future sci-fi movies.

Good Will Hunting is good not great and the basic story is more conventional than some people seem to realize. Also, Robin Williams was pretty pro forma in that movie and should not have beaten Burt Reynolds at the Oscars.

Moulin Rouge is way better than Chicago, Across The Universe, Mamma Mia and Rock Of Ages.

The Rock is Michael Bay's best movie.

Dazed And Confused is the best high school movie of all-time.

Boogie Nights was the best movie of 1997 (I know most people pick The Sweet Hereafter and it's good).

I generally prefer Richard Linklater's work over Steven Sodervergh's. I find it to be edgier, more genuinely challenging and less journeyman than a lot of his recent stuff.

Sean wrote:
8. Dreamgirls and Les Mis are dreadful musicals

While I liked Dreamgirls enough to include it on my best of 2006 list, in some ways I feel it did get a tad overpraised at the time. Les Miserables was a letdown. While we're on the subject I actually liked Idlewild better than Dreamgirls.

I find Soderbergh to be rather hit and miss, Side Effects was throughly mediocre and had very predictable twists, Magic Mike was half-assed and unremerkable in every way, Contagion was just dull and uninvolving, I think Haywire is one of this best films.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 pm
Assistant Director

-The Rock is the quintessential action thriller of the past 50 years. And yes, I think it's eons better than Die Hard.

-The only thing The Sixth Sense had going for it was a few shocks and the end twist (which surprise me, but I didn't care).

-The Departed is good, but not Scorcese's best. Overall, Blood Diamond impressed me more that year.

-I think that Meryl Streep is a brilliant actress, but she had a few unconvincing moments in "Doubt"

-"Schindler's List" is an amazing movie, but still a teeny bit overrated

-I think that "The Net" and "The Peacemaker" are both excellent thrillers.

-I think Jurassic Park is a classic film that deserves to be on the list of any top films.

-I think that Spirited Away is the finest animated film ever made.

-I think that The Exorcist is lame and not the least bit scary.

-I think that there are movies that are far scarier than Halloween.

-I have yet to see a good movie by Curtis Hanson

-I thought Noomi Rapace was overrated in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"...she was just a punker in leather with piercings and a weird hairstyle. She was better in the second, but Rooney Mara got the character better.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by moviemkr7 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
-The Rock is the quintessential action thriller of the past 50 years. And yes, I think it's eons better than Die Hard.

-The only thing The Sixth Sense had going for it was a few shocks and the end twist (which surprise me, but I didn't care).

-The Departed is good, but not Scorcese's best. Overall, Blood Diamond impressed me more that year.

-I think that Meryl Streep is a brilliant actress, but she had a few unconvincing moments in "Doubt"

-"Schindler's List" is an amazing movie, but still a teeny bit overrated

-I think that "The Net" and "The Peacemaker" are both excellent thrillers.
Agreed on Net And Peacemaker, Reindeer Games is also a great thriller.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 am
Producer

I think at least a dozen Bond movies are better than Raiders of the Lost Ark. At least.

I think Die Hard is overlong and overrated. If anything, I enjoyed John Moore's movie more.

I love Mission to Mars and hate Scarface.

I think Kubrick's best film is Barry Lyndon, by far.

I think McCabe and Mrs. Miller is overrated Altman and mostly a bore.

I really like Truffaut and Godard, but cannot stand Demy.

Douglas Sirk and Nicholas Ray are both way overrated by auteurists. I enjoy Bigger Than Life, but not on any level I can take seriously.

I used to have a great appreciation for Carl Dreyer, but at some point I lost it and have never been able to get it back.

Sergio Leone: seriously, people need to get over this guy. Good Bad and Ugly is the only movie of his that I found remotely watchable. And then, just barely.

Scorsese isn't a great storyteller.

I prefer War of the Worlds to Jurassic Park.

I think the first Terminator has aged terribly, and the second one is too long.

I couldn't stand the first Lethal Weapon. Shut the second one off halfway and never finished it.

I'm on the fence with Godfather 2.

De Palma and Anthony Mann are probably the only directors whose films I'd watch in an extended marathon. They're the only two I think of as having great bodies of work as opposed to individually great works. I'm always looking for another director who fits that bill, and I'm always disappointed.

That felt good.

Sat May 11, 2013 5:22 am
Director

I understand how rottentomatoes scoring goes. I realize while typing the first post that it can be interpreted like that, but I just wanted a numerical reference so I just went with it. (And now thinking back I should have said "have it pegged as being in" instead of "grade it around")

Sat May 11, 2013 6:27 am
Assistant Director

Ok, let's look back and see what I agree with...

Vexer wrote:
I think Tim Burton has gone downhill since Sleepy Hollow.

I like Godfather part 3 better then part 2

I think the Dark Knight trilogy is overrated as is Inception.

I found Spider Man 3 to be quite enjoyable, so I don't see Iron Man 3 being compared to it as a bad thing.

I don't think the Burton one is that unpopular. A lot of people agree with you.

I like The Godfather Part III more than most, but I would still put it a tad below the first two. Still, I think it's a very powerful film burdened by the expectations of the first two.

I agree with the Dark Knight trilogy. Not bad films, but not the masterpieces that people claim them to be. And like I said in my post, Nolan's weakest films.

I remember enjoying Spider-Man 3 in theaters. The more I think about it, the less I like it, but that's because it saddens me that it had potential to be so much better.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
While we're on Fincher, let me just come right out and state that Fight Club is pandering bullshit, and I can't believe anyone who's not a 18 year old boy can take it seriously

That's a common criticism, but I think the film is successful in carrying its message. Also, the comment about "18 year old boys" is also pretty common regarding the film, but I do think it has much deeper substance than those people acknowledge.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Director

A few more.

I alwasy preferred the New German Cinema over the French New Wave. Give me Herzog and Werner Fassbender over Godard anyday.

Terrence Malick's work is easier to admire than love.

The Sound Of Music is an overlong piece of piffle.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is nowhere near as hilarious as a lot of people seem to think it is.

While I love Tarantino, I maintain that the greatest American filmmaker to emerge from that era is Paul Thomas Anderson.

Kevin Smith's two best films are Clerks and Dogma. Chasing Amy follows closely. After that, there's a drop-off in overal quality.

Aside from maybe The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Judd Apatow's films are like after-school specials with dick jokes.

I always get the sense that Todd Phillips is trying to be the next John Landis and not succeeding.

Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 am
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
The English Patient is a bloated borefest. In fact, of Minghella's output, the only film I can say I unequivocally liked is Cold Mountain.

The Matrix is an entertaining popcorn film. But nothing more.

The SIxth Sense is too overly dependent on its ending and when you take that out of the equation, there's nothing left. I liked Shymalan's follow-up Unbreakable a lot better.

Titanic is fantastic technically. But the script, acting and dialogue leave a lot to be desired. That goes double for Avatar.

Crash defenders need to acknowledge that no it was NOT the best picture of 2005. Crash bashers need to acknowledge that it worked well in what it set out to do. It was not on the level of Do The Right Thing as a film about race relations or Magnolia as a hyperlink film. But it was pretty good for what it was.

Ang Lee has made TWO great films: The Ice Storm and Crouchign Tiger Hidden Dragon. The rest range from good to passable.

I agree with the first three. I even mentioned The Matrix and Shyamalan in my post. About Titanic, I love it. I can acknowledge that the script is weak, but dammit, it works. Plus, I've been obsessed with the story of the Titanic since I was a kid, so Cameron's attention to detail was a plus for me.

I might as well have added to my post that I liked Crash quite a bit, or that I didn't like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon that much.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
I have yet to see a good movie by Curtis Hanson

His only undisputed materpiece is LA Confidential. It's easy to forget that before that, the bulk of his output was primarily B movies. The Had That Rocks The Crasle I doubt would go on anyone's best list. Even The River WIld, which had a great performance from Meryl Streep, was constrained by its genre limitations.

Since then he's done WOnder Boys (goo overall but uneven), 8 Mile (which I liked at the time. But now prefer Hustle And Flow), In Her Shoes (haven't seen), Lucky You (haven't seen), Too Big To Fail (Good. But Margin Call covered the same territory better) and CHasing Mavericks (haven't seen).

Basically Hanson is a genre filmmaker who has on occasion triumphed over the limitations of the genre. In some ways, he's a lesser known Jonathan Demme.

Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Sat May 11, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:10 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
A few more.

I alwasy preferred the New German Cinema over the French New Wave. Give me Truffaut and Werner Fassbender over Godard anyday.

Aside from maybe The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Judd Apatow's films are like after-school specials with dick jokes.

Truffaut is French New Wave.

Agreed about Apatow. Haven't seen one yet that's really impressed me

Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next