Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
The Descent has a brilliant first two-thirds but just about everything after the creatures start attacking is not on the same level.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Director

KWRoss wrote:
I ranked Dreamgirls as the best movie of 2006 over The Departed and Pan's Labyrinth, which were right behind it. I stand by that decision today.

That one made my best of the year list. But not ahead of The Departed, Children Of Men and Pan's Labyrinth which ocupied the top three spots. But I also liked Idlewild, the other musical of 2006.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
I ranked Dreamgirls as the best movie of 2006 over The Departed and Pan's Labyrinth, which were right behind it. I stand by that decision today.

That one made my best of the year list. But not ahead of The Departed, Children Of Men and Pan's Labyrinth which ocupied the top three spots. But I also liked Idlewild, the other musical of 2006.

Speaking of musicals, I HATE most of them, musicals have always been my least favorite movie genre, I especially hate Chicago, Sound Of Music and West Side Story, quite honestly, I would sooner watch the High School Musical films then any of those.

Dreamgirls was one of the more tolerable ones though, I wasn't too impressed by the musical numbers(Beyonce's horrible acting didn't help), but Eddie Murphy's performance was what kept me going, so that's something.

Inception is overrated and was not very clever or imaginative, most of the dream sequences felt like they were ripped straight out of video games like Modern Warfare and I did not find the story compelling in the least.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 am
Producer

I think the word "overrated" is bullshit. And I think that praising a film for being "technically" good but falling short in other areas is self-contradictory. An area in which a movie falls short is a technical weakness by definition. It would be more apt to say that a movie's technique has mixed results, impressing in some areas and not others.

Inception is better than I initially thought... but it still has a lot of problems.

And people who compare Nolan to Hitchcock really, really need to stop.

JamesKunz wrote:
While we're on Fincher, let me just come right out and state that Fight Club is pandering bullshit, and I can't believe anyone who's not a 18 year old boy can take it seriously

I take it hilariously.

Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 am
Director

Quote:
The Star Wars prequels are one of a few thing I agree with the critics more than the general public's hatefest. In fact, I think the third one is a tad low when I saw its rottentomatoes score (80%. I personally would grade it aroun 85).

I agree, though they're not great to sit through. Their "blockbuster padding" is just as bad as any Nolan, Bay, Marvel, Cameron. But they tend to have some good scenes, especially the third one. I think Ian McDirmid as Palpatine is still exceptional. They're all better than Return of the Jedi. And they didn't have much to live up to for me. I'm not a huge fan of the original anyway. Empire is great though.

Quote:
Also thought X Men 3 was a worthy sequel, did not care for First Class though, not sure if the latter is "unpopular" (also not really looking forward to Days Of Future Past)

I think the Transformers films and Battleship are superior to Avatar.

The Ang Lee version if Hulk wasn't that bad.

The Prestige's position as #68 on IMDB's Top 250 is dumbfounding. One of the most lame twists in recent memory.

I agree with all these.

Quote:
I enjoy a lot of movies from "hacks" like Brett Ratner, Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin, Paul WS Anderson, McG.

Agreed. In addition to my enthusiasm for W.S. Anderson, I thoroughly enjoyed X-Men 3, The Day After Tomorrow, and Terminator Salvation.

Quote:
I think most of the Coens films are overrated and I consider Blood Simple to be their best.

Fargo, No Country, and Serious Man are all among my favorite movies. I also really like True Grit. The ones I find to be not great are Barton Fink, Big Lebowski, and O Brother Where Art Thou.

Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 am
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
The Descent has a brilliant first two-thirds but just about everything after the creatures start attacking is not on the same level.

But the final third has the sequence where

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sarah and Juno are the only two left alive and Sarah plunges her axe into Juno's leg, leaving her to certain death. But as the crawlers start swarming around, Juno pulls out the axe and hoists it, ready to go down swinging

Fucking love that moment. So badass, and true to her character. Also, the ending is perfect. The *real* ending, that is

Fri May 10, 2013 6:25 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Lost in Translation did absolutely nothing for me (ScarJo notwithstanding), and I normally LOVE movies like that.

Scent of a Woman was a horrible, horrible film and Al Pacino should return his Oscar immediately.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am
Cinematographer

Waterworld was good
Spiderman 3 was pretty good
Michael Bay's movies are generally entertaining
Batman Begins didn't do much for me
The Hangover sucks bananas
Wall-e is a worthwhile movie, but bored me for long stretches of time
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is, by far, Ang Lee's worst movie
The Star Wars prequels are very, very good
After watching four of them, I'll never be tempted to watch another Aronosky film. Same for Woody Allen. Both have made something I liked once, but the odds seem overwhelming that I won't.
I appreciate De Niro and other high profile actors joining in on commodity movies even though I sometimes don't like the end product.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am
Cinematographer

I liked the original Star Wars trilogy, but I don't think any of them are great movies. They're fun, though.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 am
MunichMan wrote:
Scent of a Woman was a horrible, horrible film and Al Pacino should return his Oscar immediately.

Hoo-haa!!! Agreed 100%. I would go as far as saying that Al Pacino is not a great actor at all. He has no nuance. For me he is a one trick pony as he basically does the same schtick in all his movies: changing from "menacing, about to explode" to "actually exploding into yelling and grandstanding". He even got worse and worse. In the 70s and 80s he was at least still able to add a little "tired and washed up". Any stand up comedian who does Al Pacino knows this.

This might be very unpopular: I think Marlon Brando was never a great actor. I never saw him doing anything else than sucking the life out of all other co-actors and even the movie he is in, by being full of himself. He was lucky to appear at the right time with his then modern heavy-handed anti-hero/method acting thing - and having many "followers", some good (such as: Paul Newman, who added some much needed humor and ease), some bad (read my lips: such as James Dean who utterly lacked the screen presence).

Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

But the final third has the sequence where

[url]Sarah and Juno are the only two left alive and Sarah plunges her axe into Juno's leg, leaving her to certain death. But as the crawlers start swarming around, Juno pulls out the axe and hoists it, ready to go down swinging[/url]

Fucking love that moment. So badass, and true to her character. Also, the ending is perfect. The *real* ending, that is

You accidentally put in the URL tag instead of the spoiler tag.

BTW, I liked the U.S. versions ending better and I thought the sequel was actually pretty good(though the ending in that one was kinda weak)

Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm
Cinematographer

Well, I'm a boring person, so I don't really have any particularly unpopular opinions. I wholeheartedly disagree on Godfather Part II. Then again, it is one of my top ten favorite movies.

Now for the fun part:

1. I hate everything that Baz Luhrmann has ever made. Period. Great visuals. Horrible storytelling.

2. Lost in Translation is one of the best movies of 2004. That being said, every film Sofia Coppola has made since then belongs in a refuse bin.

3. The Place Beyond the Pines meandered between so-close and masterpiece so many times. In the end, it's a passable mess.

4. Superman Returns was one of the least exciting experiences I've ever had at the movies.

5. The Amazing Spider-Man might just be worse than Spider-Man 3. Actually, it is.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Well, I'm a boring person, so I don't really have any particularly unpopular opinions. I wholeheartedly disagree on Godfather Part II. Then again, it is one of my top ten favorite movies.

Now for the fun part:

1. I hate everything that Baz Luhrmann has ever made. Period. Great visuals. Horrible storytelling.

2. Lost in Translation is one of the best movies of 2004. That being said, every film Sofia Coppola has made since then belongs in a refuse bin.

3. The Place Beyond the Pines meandered between so-close and masterpiece so many times. In the end, it's a passable mess.

4. Superman Returns was one of the least exciting experiences I've ever had at the movies.

5. The Amazing Spider-Man might just be worse than Spider-Man 3. Actually, it is.

I thought "Somewhere" was a much better film then Lost In Translation("Lip Your Stocking"? WTF was Coppola thinking writing a line like that? :roll: )

Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Now for the fun part:

I thought "Somewhere" was a much better film then Lost In Translation("Lip Your Stocking"? WTF was Coppola thinking writing a line like that? :roll: )

Whereas I thought that it was about as much fun as reading end credits. Actually, that was one of the movie's highlights.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm
Producer

Sean wrote:

This isn't an unpopular opinion. Round up any gang of irritable nerds (most of them, really) and they'll say the same thing.

I can see why it got the reception that it did, but it's still better than it's generally given credit for.

CasualDad wrote:
The Hangover sucks bananas

And there's going to be a third one! How many times can the same gang of idiots go on a vacation and completely obliterate their memories?

Actually, now that I think about it, that's a common scenario. But that's not an excuse for making the same movie thrice.

Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 pm
Auteur

I would rather watch Superman 3 or 4 then "Returns"

Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm
Producer

When was the last time you watched any of those movies?

Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm
Cinematographer

Superman Returns is nowhere near as bad as the last two titles starring Christopher Reeve.

The fact of the matter is that comic-book movies like Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, and The Dark Knight have all had managed to juggle complex moral and political themes while still remaining intriguing. Superman Returns is really existential, but it's also a snooze. It's the very antithesis to Batman Begins.

Still, the movie has a 76% on the Tomatometer, so I consider it an unpopular opinion.

6. Prometheus is one of the silliest sci-fi movies in recent memory.

7. The third Mad Max movie is utter garbage.

8. Dreamgirls and Les Mis are dreadful musicals.

9. Denzel Washington's directorial debut, The Great Debaters, is one of the least interesting, most predictable pieces of Oscar bait I have ever seen.

10. Fiddler on the Roof is oh-so-boring.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm
Producer

Attack of the Clones has an overall fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It would still not be an unpopular opinion by any stretch of the imagination to say you didn't like it.

Superman Returns should have committed one way or the other--either go for the moody self-doubting story or the action-packed heroes vs. villains story. The fact that it tried to do both meant that neither side built up enough steam to win people over.

I commend its bravery for trying to look at a different side of the character and I condemn its cowardice for hedging. I'm still glad it got made and it deserves its spot on my shelf.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Superman Returns is nowhere near as bad as the last two titles starring Christopher Reeve.

The fact of the matter is that comic-book movies like Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, and The Dark Knight have all had managed to juggle complex moral and political themes while still remaining intriguing. Superman Returns is really existential, but it's also a snooze. It's the very antithesis to Batman Begins.

Still, the movie has a 76% on the Tomatometer, so I consider it an unpopular opinion.

6. Prometheus is one of the silliest sci-fi movies in recent memory.

7. The third Mad Max movie is utter garbage.

8. Dreamgirls and Les Mis are dreadful musicals.

9. Denzel Washington's directorial debut, The Great Debaters, is one of the least interesting, most predictable pieces of Oscar bait I have ever seen.

10. Fiddler on the Roof is oh-so-boring.

I thought most people disliked Beyond Thunderdome(i'm not one of them).

Agreed on Promotheus, that film had way too many plot holes. Personally I find Resurrection and the AVP films to be superior.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next