Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Director

Post The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
And I'll start. I think Jules And Jim is an overrated film. Perhaps it's due to the passage of time, but I don't find the object of Jules' and Jim's mutual affection to be a free spirit; she's a selfish cock-tease. It's been very hard for me to warm to the film because I find one of its central characters so repulsive. Truffaut has, however, made other films that are vastly superior.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 pm
Producer

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
I might as well copy and paste every post I made in the Cabin In The Woods thread.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:31 pm
Cinematographer

I hate Iron Man 3 with a fiery passion. I think that it's on the same level as Iron Man 2, and last week, I was desperately hoping that more and more critics would join my side. Each time the Tomatometer slipped a notch or two, I applauded.

Don't get me wrong: I will gladly give the movie a second chance. But I'm not fond of it at the moment, and I look forward to the day when more people agree with me. Granted, Iron Man 3 isn't a critical masterpiece, and disliking it isn't really that much of an unpopular opinion. But still. Aside from RDJ, Iron Man 3 is ultimately on the same level as Spider-Man 3.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm
Critic

The Godfather Part II is handsomely mounted, but utterly unnecessary. The entire arc was told in the first film and the sequel is as gratuitous and irrelevant as Saw VI or any other naked cash grab

Thu May 09, 2013 5:28 pm
Director

Interesting. Seems like this can be a really fun thread. Which of Truffaut's films do you prefer? I like what Jules and Jim is trying to do. It's like an attack on the mantra, "make love, not war" because love is war. Overall, it's a film about weakness and how infidelity is a manifestation of weakness. Jules is the only one who can grow out of it.

I like Godfather 2, but it doesn't have the thrust of the first one. It has some cool mind games though regarding the Hyman Roth plot. The last hour does take a while to unwind.

I have mixed feelings about Lawrence of Arabia. Doctor Zhivago is pretty much somnambulant, which Lawrence is not. Lawrence is handsomely mounted too, but I'd like to hear an argument for just exactly why it needs to be 3.5 hours. And the structure tends to be disappointing for me. The first half is the stuff of grand adventure, while the second half is a lot of political discourse. After a while it just stops escalating.

Thu May 09, 2013 6:25 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Lawrence of Arabia. Doctor Zhivago is pretty much somnambulant, which Lawrence is not. Lawrence is handsomely mounted too, but I'd like to hear an argument for just exactly why it needs to be 3.5 hours. And the structure tends to be disappointing for me. The first half is the stuff of grand adventure, while the second half is a lot of political discourse. After a while it just stops escalating.

I have similar feelings. The escalation idea is an interesting one. I feel like film fans are generally a little forgiving toward older films in this regard, in that we forgive a bit of a slow build up because the culture at the time didn't demand a fast one. I'm a fan of genuinely slow-burn stuff, but sometimes there's just no burn at all -- the full cut of Wages of Fear still doesn't do it for me. Same for Larry of A. It makes the same point several times in the second half and never really goes anywhere with it.

Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm
Director

To me, Bridge on the River Kwai is a masterpiece of slow burning; maybe even the very best example I can think of. But Lawrence comes dangerously close to the other thing; no-burn. And yeah, there's nowhere left to go after a certain point. Agreed.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm
Auteur

Alright!

There are some films on the IMDB 100 worst list that I enjoy more then some of the ones on the top 250 list.

I think most of the Coens films are overrated and I consider Blood Simple to be their best.

I think Fincher is a very hit and miss director, and I would sooner watch Alien 3 then Se7en, Zodiac or Benjamin Button.

I think Tim Burton has gone downhill since Sleepy Hollow.

I'm dumbfounded by Johnny Depp's popularity

I think Hugh Grant is a one-dimensional and mediocre actor.

I like Godfather part 3 better then part 2

I think the Dark Knight trilogy is overrated as is Inception.

I found Spider Man 3 to be quite enjoyable, so I don't see Iron Man 3 being compared to it as a bad thing.

I like many "rotten" films on RT(i'm talking 0-20%) better then some highly rated "fresh" films

I like Transformers 3 better then Avengers

I like some of Tyler Perry's films

I thought "We Need To Talk About Kevin" was a pretentious piece of garbage.

I don't really care for the Monty Python films

Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm
Director

I actually agree with Vexer that Fincher is hit and miss. Every other film he does seems to be great, while in between he makes work that is passable.

Great Fincher: Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network

Passable Fincher: Alien 3, The Game, Panic Room, Benjamin Button, Dragon Tattoo

And finally, here's another unpopular opinion: Breakfast At Tiffany's is shit, and it doesn't deserve the "classic" status hung on it.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I actually agree with Vexer that Fincher is hit and miss. Every other film he does seems to be great, while in between he makes work that is passable.

Great Fincher: Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network

Passable Fincher: Alien 3, The Game, Panic Room, Benjamin Button, Dragon Tattoo

And finally, here's another unpopular opinion: Breakfast At Tiffany's is shit, and it doesn't deserve the "classic" status hung on it.

Agreed on Tiffany's, I simply cannot watch it without cringing at Mickey Rooney's scenes, it's jaw-droppingly offensive.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:17 pm
Critic

While we're on Fincher, let me just come right out and state that Fight Club is pandering bullshit, and I can't believe anyone who's not a 18 year old boy can take it seriously

Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm
Director

The Star Wars prequels are one of a few thing I agree with the critics more than the general public's hatefest. In fact, I think the third one is a tad low when I saw its rottentomatoes score (80%. I personally would grade it aroun 85).

Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
The Star Wars prequels are one of a few thing I agree with the critics more than the general public's hatefest. In fact, I think the third one is a tad low when I saw its rottentomatoes score (80%. I personally would grade it aroun 85).

Me too, I like the prequels and think the hatred towars George Lucas is way overblown.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

Regardless of how I feel about the Star Wars prequels, your understanding of RT's methodology is lacking. The 80% just refers to what percentage of critics viewed it positively. It's not an indicator of the film's merit, it's just what percentage gave it a thumbs up. Saying "I would personally grade it around 85%" is not relevant.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm
Producer

I love Fincher but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bored me to death.

So did Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Letters From Iwo Jima.

Though far from perfect, I still nonetheless enjoyed Gigli. And Daredevil. And Paycheck. And Surviving Christmas. Hence why I've always felt Ben to be underrated, though not anymore since people love the guy again.

I enjoy a lot of movies from "hacks" like Brett Ratner, Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin, Paul WS Anderson, McG. Not saying they are master filmmakers, but they are at the very least competent craftsmen.

Waterworld and The Postman, two of Kevin Costner's most notorious movies, I LOVE them both!

Citizen Kane is thematically compelling, but I was never emotionally engaged by it therefore isn't the masterpiece everyone claims it to be and most definitely isn't the greatest movie of all time.

Raging Bull, likewise, is also a movie I admire but not love.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm
Director

The English Patient is a bloated borefest. In fact, of Minghella's output, the only film I can say I unequivocally liked is Cold Mountain.

The Matrix is an entertaining popcorn film. But nothing more.

The SIxth Sense is too overly dependent on its ending and when you take that out of the equation, there's nothing left. I liked Shymalan's follow-up Unbreakable a lot better.

Gone With The Wind is overpraised to high heaven.

I like Oliver Stone a lot. But the only passable movie he's made since Nixon is Savages.

Although I don't think this one is that unpopular here I must say that The Help is a soap opera albeit one with some very good acting.

Juno is an easy film to admire. But hard to love.

Titanic is fantastic technically. But the script, acting and dialogue leave a lot to be desired. That goes double for Avatar.

Crash defenders need to acknowledge that no it was NOT the best picture of 2005. Crash bashers need to acknowledge that it worked well in what it set out to do. It was not on the level of Do The Right Thing as a film about race relations or Magnolia as a hyperlink film. But it was pretty good for what it was.

Ang Lee has made TWO great films: The Ice Storm and Crouchign Tiger Hidden Dragon. The rest range from good to passable.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm
Assistant Director

I ranked Dreamgirls as the best movie of 2006 over The Departed and Pan's Labyrinth, which were right behind it. I stand by that decision today.

Ditto for the Star Wars prequels. Enjoy them all very much.

The Prestige's position as #68 on IMDB's Top 250 is dumbfounding. One of the most lame twists in recent memory.

Mulholland Drive is mad overrated. Designed not to make any sense whatsoever and most critics fell for it.

Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I love Fincher but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bored me to death.

So did Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Letters From Iwo Jima.

Though far from perfect, I still nonetheless enjoyed Gigli. And Daredevil. And Paycheck. And Surviving Christmas. Hence why I've always felt Ben to be underrated, though not anymore since people love the guy again.

I enjoy a lot of movies from "hacks" like Brett Ratner, Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin, Paul WS Anderson, McG. Not saying they are master filmmakers, but they are at the very least competent craftsmen.

Waterworld and The Postman, two of Kevin Costner's most notorious movies, I LOVE them both!

Citizen Kane is thematically compelling, but I was never emotionally engaged by it therefore isn't the masterpiece everyone claims it to be and most definitely isn't the greatest movie of all time.

Raging Bull, likewise, is also a movie I admire but not love.

I agree with most of your points, though I personally liked Dragon Tattoo, though I will admit it definitely had some pacing issues, I don't think it would've hurt anything if it was 30 minutes shorter(same with Zodiac)

I find Pauly Shore and Rob Scheneider to be funny, I like Sandler's later films better then his early ones.

I enjoy most of Uwe Boll's films and most films based on video games

I would rather watch widely hated films like Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever and the Rollerball remake over many Oscar nominated films.

I like the Scary Movie sequels, including part 5.

I enjoyed the Halloween remake and sequel. Also liked the NOES and Evil Dead remakes.

I don't think Superbad is a very funny movie, and I think Hangover is a bit overrated.

I do not like The Lord Of The Rings films period.

Not a big David Lynch fan, Inland Empire was one of the worst pieces of crap i've ever seen, also I tried watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me last night and I was struggling not to fall asleep, the story was not very compelling and the ending was just one big WTF moment after another and I just completely stopped caring by that point.

I always thought Tony Scott was a better director then Ridley.

Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 pm
Second Unit Director

The Star Wars prequals did not in fact rape my childhood. I found them to be entertaining, well crafted, and each one to be better overall than RotJ.

Eyes Wide Shut was one of the least worthwhile film experiences I have ever had. Cannot hold a candle to other films from 1999, such as The Phantom Menace.

I thought Suckerpunch was a flawed but somewhat worthwhile film. I think I might have read maybe one review where the reviewer didn't say it sucked completely or listed it as one of the worst films of the year.

The Ang Lee version if Hulk wasn't that bad.

Speaking of Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge over the River Kwai, it was not the plots per se that held my attention, but simply watching the characters develope and react to their situations. I felt they were perfectly paced for the material. I don't know about anyone else but two classics that I saw recently were Ben Hur and House of Bamboo. Now those were two really boring movies with flat characters. I don't know what peoples opinion here of those films are, or modern consesus but jees were those films boring as hell. It's been awhile since I saw it, but ditto Spartacus.
-Jeremy

Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I didn't hate Ang Lee's Hulk film, but I was confused by it, ultimately it was just average for me.

One superhero film that I don't think deserves all the hate it gets is Catwoman

Also thought X Men 3 was a worthy sequel, did not care for First Class though, not sure if the latter is "unpopular" (also not really looking forward to Days Of Future Past)

I hated High Fidelity and as a whole have never been that impressed with John Cusack.

I thought Movie 43 was pretty funny.

I like most of Eddie Murphy's films from the 2000s onward.

I think the Transformers films and Battleship are superior to Avatar.

Die Another Day is one of my favorite Bond films, I also kinda liked Denise Richards in World Is Not Enough.

I enjoy critically lambasted sequels like The Whole Ten Yards.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next