Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Rank the "Avengers" Movies! 
Director

Post Re: Rank the "Avengers" Movies!
Quote:
I can acknowledge certain skill elements in films that I don't think have any artistic merit.

This actually explains a lot. While I understand the opposite position, skill is the main thing that matters to me; really the only thing that consistently entertains me. Skill vs. art, I see no difference.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
OtherBen wrote:
for what it's worth my girlfriend rolls her eyes at films of the ilk of transformers, just considers them films for childish little man boys. i don't think she's offended as much as she's just embarassed for anyone who actively thinks it's 'bad-ass'. but then she also is disgusted at me for not washing the dishes immediately so she's clearly highly strung.

This is pretty funny, but also makes a nice point. The "exploitative" stuff in the Transformers movies is more for the enjoyment of adolescents, or men who haven't quite made it out of adolescence, than it is for anyone else. I'm not saying women shouldn't, or don't, get offended by it, but I think it says a lot more about the dumbing down of movies and culture in general that these kinds of things need to be resorted to in the first place to either stir up interest or add enjoyment.

It's really a matter of intent and context. It isn't like Michael Bay is the first director to throw some T&A in his movies. In a high school comedy about teenagers growing up, those kinds of things have a place. I'd argue that Bay does it just to capitalize on men enjoying seeing half naked women and it has absolutely no bearing on his story or characters. That's virtually the definition of exploitative. I mean, his idea of a budding romance is Sam Witwicky seeing Megan Fox on a motorcycle showing off her ass. That's not just really poor writing, but the main reason why it comes across as exploitative to some. I really don't think anyone would get offended if there was an attempt made to actually develop a somewhat realistic relationship instead of resorting to showing T&A and having that serve as the basis for their "romance".

It screams inauthentic to anyone who's had even a slight meaningful relationship with a woman. Most people likely don't care (I personally don't, even though I agree with Shade's overall point) because they realize that stuff is aimed at a specific target audience that will enjoy it. That doesn't mean those that do get offended are wrong or their points are any less valid.

Anyway, my rankings for these movies:

1. The Avengers ***1/2
2. Thor ***

3. Everything else sucks - ** all around (haven't seen Iron Man 3 and won't be)

completely with you all the way on this one.

i am not offended by any of it, but i do watch films like transformers and try my HARDEST not to groan at any point at all the mechanics of them. and i can totally see why someone would be offended by it, but i see it more offensive as in the grand scheme of our culture and how it reflects upon a society when (to use it as an example) transformers rakes in so much cash.

but as you mentioned it's just so far down my list of priorities and just like my girlfriend, i just grimace, groan and roll my eyes and move on. like you said, anyone in a meaningful relationship would likely do the same. it's so over the top and cartoonish that i genuinely just assume everyone knows that and is in on the joke. but that's just me being an optimist.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

OtherBen wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
OtherBen wrote:
for what it's worth my girlfriend rolls her eyes at films of the ilk of transformers, just considers them films for childish little man boys. i don't think she's offended as much as she's just embarassed for anyone who actively thinks it's 'bad-ass'. but then she also is disgusted at me for not washing the dishes immediately so she's clearly highly strung.

This is pretty funny, but also makes a nice point. The "exploitative" stuff in the Transformers movies is more for the enjoyment of adolescents, or men who haven't quite made it out of adolescence, than it is for anyone else. I'm not saying women shouldn't, or don't, get offended by it, but I think it says a lot more about the dumbing down of movies and culture in general that these kinds of things need to be resorted to in the first place to either stir up interest or add enjoyment.

It's really a matter of intent and context. It isn't like Michael Bay is the first director to throw some T&A in his movies. In a high school comedy about teenagers growing up, those kinds of things have a place. I'd argue that Bay does it just to capitalize on men enjoying seeing half naked women and it has absolutely no bearing on his story or characters. That's virtually the definition of exploitative. I mean, his idea of a budding romance is Sam Witwicky seeing Megan Fox on a motorcycle showing off her ass. That's not just really poor writing, but the main reason why it comes across as exploitative to some. I really don't think anyone would get offended if there was an attempt made to actually develop a somewhat realistic relationship instead of resorting to showing T&A and having that serve as the basis for their "romance".

It screams inauthentic to anyone who's had even a slight meaningful relationship with a woman. Most people likely don't care (I personally don't, even though I agree with Shade's overall point) because they realize that stuff is aimed at a specific target audience that will enjoy it. That doesn't mean those that do get offended are wrong or their points are any less valid.

1. The Avengers ***1/2
2. Thor ***

completely with you all the way on this one.

i am not offended by any of it, but i do watch films like transformers and try my HARDEST not to groan at any point at all the mechanics of them. and i can totally see why someone would be offended by it, but i see it more offensive as in the grand scheme of our culture and how it reflects upon a society when (to use it as an example) transformers rakes in so much cash.

but as you mentioned it's just so far down my list of priorities and just like my girlfriend, i just grimace, groan and roll my eyes and move on. like you said, anyone in a meaningful relationship would likely do the same. it's so over the top and cartoonish that i genuinely just assume everyone knows that and is in on the joke. but that's just me being an optimist.

I just don't take that sort of thing seriously, I wasn't groaning or anything like that, I just shrugged and went "that's Bay for ya", though if it were me, I wouldn't have introduced Fox that way. I don't see how these films doing well reflects badly on culture though, that dosen't make any sense, Transformers has been a global phenomenon for years, is it really surprising that the movies did so well?

Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

The Avengers - 9/10
Iron Man - 9/10
Iron Man Three - 8/10
Thor - 7/10
Captain America: The First Avenger - 7/10
Iron Man 2 - 7/10
The Incredible Hulk - 7/10

Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:

1. The Avengers ***1/2
2. Thor ***

This is close to how I feel. The Avengers, Thor, and for me the first Iron Man are the best of the bunch, but I don't think any of these movies rise above three star status. I kept up with all of it through The Avengers, but now I'm officially burned out. Life's too short.

Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm
Profile WWW