Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Rank the "Avengers" Movies! 
Cinematographer

Post Rank the "Avengers" Movies!
1. Marvel's The Avengers - ***1/2
A perfect conclusion to Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Heartfelt, exhilarating, and just plain fun, Marvel's The Avengers is Transformers with a brain. One of last summer's few entertaining blockbusters. Not a masterpiece, but still brilliant.

2. Iron Man - ***1/2
The best of the standalone Avengers movies. Robert Downey, Jr. delivers one of the best performances as a comic-book hero ever put on film, while Jeff Bridges is excellent as Obadiah Stane. Simple and straightforward, with a great sense of realism. One of 2008's best films.

3. Thor - ***
My expectations for Thor: The Dark World are much lower than they were for Iron Man 3. Unfair perhaps, but Thor 2 has a lot less to build on. Regardless, Thor is still a humorous, somewhat low-key, comic-book film. Fine direction from Kenneth Branagh, with plenty of lore to compensate for its narrative's shortcomings.

4. Captain America: The First Avenger - ***
Not as imaginative as Thor, with a much weaker villain. Still, Cap Am is a pulpy spectacle, with a great old-fashioned feel to it. It's nothing substantial, and it certainly isn't as good as Thor, but it's still an excellent final addition to Phase One. Great tie-in to The Avengers.

5. The Incredible Hulk - **1/2
Feels seriously disconnected from the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Nothing memorable here, other than a fine performance by Edward Norton. The final action sequence drags on forever, but the narrative elements are interesting enough.

6. Iron Man 3 - *1/2
Better than Iron Man 2 just because of the promising, albeit not superlative, first act. One clever plot twist spoils everything. Everything else with it is a comedy. Lousy villains and an apparent death scene also make this a weak start to Phase Two and a poor way to kick off the 2013 summer movie season.

7. Iron Man 2 - *1/2
The Avengers franchise with the most returns includes one of the best opening installments of any comic-book series ever. It also consists of two incredibly disappointing sequels. This feature-length advertisement for The Avengers is a dull ride, with a convoluted plot and a serious action deficit.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Rank the "Avengers" Movies!
For me Captain America was the weakest, action scenes were aneamic and unexciting, villains were pretty lame, Anthony Mackie's performance was the only thing that really stood out in an otherwise bland film. Though I have to say the upcoming sequel sounds considerably better. Either Avengers or the first Iron Man would be my fave.

Last edited by Vexer on Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:48 pm
Critic

Of the ones I've seen:

The Avengers: ***
Thor: **1/2
Iron Man: **
Iron Man 2: **
Captain America: **

Really not doing much for me, are they?

Mon May 06, 2013 4:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Iron Man - 8/10
Captain America - 8/10
Avengers - 8/10
Thor - 7/10
Iron Man 2 - 7/10
Incredible Hulk - 7/10
Iron Man 3 - 7/10

Though Hulk and Iron Man 3 are very low 7's. Avengers is a low 8. Iron Man and Captain America are the same.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm
Director

1. Thor
2. Incredible Hulk
3. Iron Man
4. Iron Man 2
5. Captain America
6. The Avengers

Quote:
Marvel's The Avengers is Transformers with a brain

Correction. Transformers without a style.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:21 pm
Auteur

I don't really see how Avengers is any smarter then the Transformers films.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
1. Thor
2. Incredible Hulk
3. Iron Man
4. Iron Man 2
5. Captain America
6. The Avengers

Quote:
Marvel's The Avengers is Transformers with a brain

Correction. Transformers without a style.

Michael Bay has no style.
Vexer wrote:
I don't really see how Avengers is any smarter then the Transformers films.

It has heart, its characters are much more developed, and it isn't afraid to trade in some explosions for a compelling human story.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm
Auteur

I think the Transformers films have "heart" to them as well though, I found them pretty compelling story-wise. Ironic that Avengers borrows from Transformers(the cube is very similar to the Allspark, the battle against the aliens is somehwhat reminiscent of the final battle in Chicago in Dark Of The Moon).

Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 pm
Director

Quote:

Yes he does.

Quote:
and it isn't afraid to trade in some explosions for a compelling human story.

Hmmm...actually it is afraid to do that exact thing :roll:

Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Yes he does.

Quote:

Two words: Coulsen's. Death. Very unexpected, yet fairly touching. Regardless of The Avengers' level of human emotion, one cannot possibly argue that Transformers does a better job developing its characters.

As for Michael Bay, his style (if that is what we decide to call it) is abhorrent. Jingoism, mixed with some misogyny and a really bad sense of humor.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Yes he does.

Quote:

Two words: Coulsen's. Death. Very unexpected, yet fairly touching. Regardless of The Avengers' level of human emotion, one cannot possibly argue that Transformers does a better job developing its characters.

As for Michael Bay, his style (if that is what we decide to call it) is abhorrent. Jingoism, mixed with some misogyny and a really bad sense of humor.

I dunno, I thought his death came across as more then a bit contrived, it felt like it was only done because Joss Whedon just HAD to shoehorn in his tradition of killing off-beloved characters for no real reason. I strongly disagree about Bay's style being "misgonyst", I don't see where your basis for that is. Saying one "cannot possibly argue" is a rather ignorant and arrogant statement to make, i'm perfectly fine with his jingosim even if I don't agree with everything he says and I happen to like his sense of humor.

Last edited by Vexer on Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Out of ****

1. Avengers - ****
2. Iron Man - ***1/2
3. Thor - ***1/2 I really want to put this one #2. I love it more each time I see it, and I'm more excited for Thor 2 than any non-Star Trek blockbuster this year. The top 3 here are really great movies.
4. Iron Man 3 - ***
5. Iron Man 2 - **1/2
6. Captain America - **1/2
7. Incredible Hulk - *1/2 Boy oh boy is this movie bad. Every thing even related to the Military is over-the-top, hilariously bad. And I'm not sure that's the worst thing about the movie.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I strongly disagree about Bay's style being "misgonyst", I don't see where your basis for that is

I don't think The Avengers or any of the Transformers are good movies, but...

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Or the first scenes with Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in the third one. Or you know, any other time he films a young woman. He's certainly not the only one in his industry doing this, but it doesn't make it any less slimey or sleazy.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 pm
Assistant Director

I've been a bit apathic to all the recent comic book films. I mean, I've seen Nolan's Batman films, Raimi's Spider-Man films, Singer's X-Men... but none of these recent films interest me. I saw Iron Man and, although I more or less liked it, I didn't care for it enough to watch the others. That's the only one I've seen and it probably gets a B from me.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I strongly disagree about Bay's style being "misgonyst", I don't see where your basis for that is

I don't think The Avengers or any of the Transformers are good movies, but...

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Or the first scenes with Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in the third one. Or you know, any other time he films a young woman. He's certainly not the only one in his industry doing this, but it doesn't make it any less slimey or sleazy.

So by your basis, pretty much every horror film ever made is misogynist. I still don't see how Bay is any more misogynist then any other director :? For me, eye-candy does not automatically equal misogynist, for me misogyny would be making all the female characters complete idiots or something like that, but that's not the case
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Mikeala is pretty smart and is considerably calmer in the face of danger then Sam, she's no damsel that's for sure, and while Carly sort of is in the third film, she's also smart enough to manipulate Megatron into foregoing his allegiance with Sentinel Prime and attacking him

Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
So by your basis, pretty much every horror film ever made is misogynist. I still don't see how Bay is any more misogynist then any other director :? For me, eye-candy does not automatically equal misogynist, for me misogyny would be making all the female characters complete idiots or something like that, but that's not the case
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Mikeala is pretty smart and is considerably calmer in the face of danger then Sam, she's no damsel that's for sure, and while Carly sort of is in the third film, she's also smart enough to manipulate Megatron into foregoing his allegiance with Sentinel Prime and attacking him

Well, yeah.

I don’t watch many modern horror movies, but most of the older horror movies I’ve seen were rife with misogyny. I’m not going to argue against what people enjoy, but if you don’t find at least some horror tropes problematic, I don’t know what to say.

And yes; introducing your leading lady as eye candy is kind of problematic. There’s no reason why someone would straddle a bike like that beyond giving dudes boners. Bay is introducing her not as a person, but as a set of tits and an ass. I’m glad she’s given agency within the plot, but I don’t think that really rectifies that.

Honestly Vex, you’re a pretty progressive dude, and I’m not snapping at you for enjoying those movies. Like what you like, but I’m fully aware that there are movies, songs and games and that I love that promote attitudes that are homophobic or sexist or are problematic in a whole bunch of other ways. Being able to recognise that is important.

Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm
Auteur

AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Well, yeah.

I don’t watch many modern horror movies, but most of the older horror movies I’ve seen were rife with misogyny. I’m not going to argue against what people enjoy, but if you don’t find at least some horror tropes problematic, I don’t know what to say.

And yes; introducing your leading lady as eye candy is kind of problematic. There’s no reason why someone would straddle a bike like that beyond giving dudes boners. Bay is introducing her not as a person, but as a set of tits and an ass. I’m glad she’s given agency within the plot, but I don’t think that really rectifies that.

Honestly Vex, you’re a pretty progressive dude, and I’m not snapping at you for enjoying those movies. Like what you like, but I’m fully aware that there are movies, songs and games and that I love that promote attitudes that are homophobic or sexist or are problematic in a whole bunch of other ways. Being able to recognise that is important.

But the thing is most slasher films have a final girl who ultimately defeats the killer, which tends to offset the misogyny(at least for me anyways). I'm not saying the genre dosen't have it's problems, i'm just saying that sometimes people are too eager to label things as misogynist among other things with no little to back up their examples(like Anita Sarkeesian and her video game tropes, I admire what she's trying to do and think the attacks she got from people are bullshit, but some of her examples lack crediblity and she comes off as ignorant at times), personally i'd be interested to know if women really consider Michael Bay or his films misogynist(personally I find Titanic more misogynist). Yeah the intro is a bit shameless, but I don't believe that alone makes the film "misogynist". Whether a film promotes "homophobic" "sexist" or "problematic" is a matter of ones opinion(most of the time anyways), sure there are films I personally find offensive(like the Jackass films), but I recognize that not everyone will feel the same way. I'm curious to know which films, songs and games you believe qualify as such.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 pm
Director

I like the first Transformers well enough (the second one, however, swore me off the third one altogether), but these comparisons are depressing.

Anyway, ranking them (my list is very similar to bones, I noticed)..

1. The Avengers (3.5/4.0) - Before going in this movie, I wondered if Whedon was going to be overwhelmed by the universe like Jon Favreau finally did in Iron Man 2. But although this is the least Whedon-y of his works, all his important characteristics are in check: gang dynamics, the dialogue, brutally sudden and heartfelt death, and his feminist streak with beefing up Black Widow role. All of these help contribute to one of the most fun films of last year.
2. Iron Man (3.0/4.0)
3. Thor (3.0/4.0) - Choosing Kenneth Branagh as the director for this is a masterstroke.
4. Iron Man 3 (3.0/4.0) - The most distinct Marvel movie, with the director's style in full effort.
5. Iron Man 2 (3.0/4.0)
6. The Incredible Hulk (3.0/4.0) - I enjoy this as a mindless fun.
7. Captain America (2.5/4.0) - This has the chance to be one of the top-tier Marvel Phase One movies. The origin story is solid and unique, almost on par with Iron Man, the love story is welll crafted enough, and the cast is strong all around. But the very bland direction and blatant lead-in ending dragged it down considerably.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:56 pm
Director

Never watched the entire Incredible Hulk. Enjoyed what I did see, but never got around to the rest. Maybe I'll "Nut Up" and watch the rest as part of my May movie binge. As for the rest.......

The Avengers- ***1/2
Iron Man- ***1/2
Thor- ***1/2
Iron Man 3- ***
Captain America- ***
Iron Man 2- ***

All in all, Marvel has done a very good job with this universe of heroes.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I still don't see how Bay is any more misogynist then any other director

Plenty of directors don't feel the need to include "eye candy." The term "eye candy" in this context is misogynist almost by definition -- at the very least, it's objectification. It's saying, "Hey! Look at this flesh! Look at these breasts and buttocks! They fit into our current cultural definition of beauty and are AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!!"

There's nothing wrong with observing or acknowledging beauty, but that's not what Bay (or the many, many other filmmakers like him) are doing. I'll readily admit that I'm in general more conservative in this area, but it does indeed come across as childish and silly to me. As AJR pointed out, most horror films qualify for this.

Any morality or issue aside, it's just lame and unconfident filmmaking. A tense scene shouldn't require a young lady be prancing around in her skivvies. A big action film shouldn't even desire to bother with scenes like Bay throws into Transformers. It's aiming for the lowest possible striking point.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm