Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:06 pm

So, "Iron Man 3"... (SPOILER ALERT) 
Cinematographer

Post So, "Iron Man 3"... (SPOILER ALERT)
Wasn't a fan, but we can get to that later. For now, I wanted to know what others thought of the movie.

In a little while, I will write up my own thoughts on the picture, but for the time being, I am curious to hear what the general consensus concerning Iron Man 3 is among members of the ReelViews community.

Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: So, "Iron Man 3"... (SPOILER ALERT)
I saw Iron Man 3...or at least the first 85% of it. Then the power surged...then the fire alarm rang...then we were evacuated TWICE....then the fire department came....then we got readmission tickets. I don't think Iron Man 3 warrants a rewatch so soon.

Sure I probably don't deserve have an opinion on seeing 85% of it but shut up! Anyways, it's fine and there were a couple great moments like the attack on Tony's house and shockingly enough, James Badge Dale who I thought did the best acting. Sure it was all swagger but dammit, it was fun, evil swagger like uh...Stephen Lang in Avatar. But the thing that really bothered me was how it devolved into schtick. How it was all "I'm Robert Downey Jr. and I'm doing stuff! LOVE ME YOU FUCKING NERDS!" especially in Tennessee with that annoying kid.

If I HAD to, I would say it was on-par with The Incredible Hulk, very basic entertainment that kinda works but it's not something you need to see.

Sat May 04, 2013 3:08 pm
Auteur

Well I like that kind of shtick, so i'll be sure to see it.

Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Well I like that kind of shtick, so i'll be sure to see it.

Well, I want to discuss spoilers, so don't check back until you've seen the movie.

Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm
Cinematographer

I liked it (3.0/4.0) but then we got all nitpicky during the movie post-mortem at the bar. Like, how did Rebecca Hall get up to Tony's door to ring the bell....you'd think his driveway would be swarmed with press if the gate was open. And if the gate was closed, why'd Jarvis let her in? And what the hell was she doing there anyway? Presumably she was "in" on the imminent rocket attack, so that was kind of a dumb place for her to be.

Also...Tony's suit pieces get themselves from Tennessee (kid has to open the garage to let them out) to Miami in about 5 minutes? Umm...that's pretty darn fast.

Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 pm
Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Also...Tony's suit pieces get themselves from Tennessee (kid has to open the garage to let them out) to Miami in about 5 minutes? Umm...that's pretty darn fast.

This is what I meant in the reviews thread when I said there were contrivances that an 8-year-old would notice. That plus the appearance of all the JARVIS-controlled Iron Man suits right in the nick of time at the climax. The movie's story and action sequences are entertaining enough in spite of this, though.

Also, with regard to how the Mandarin was treated..... I thought it was wickedly clever. Killian talks about how he wanted to give evil a face people could easily identify as evil and how it's more satisfying to operate behind the scenes rather than out in the open. Yes, this goes waaaaaaay against the comics, but that's fine with me. The filmmakers had a point to make with this twist, and Killian is a better main bad guy than anyone from IRON MAN 2.

Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
Killian is a better main bad guy than anyone from IRON MAN 2.

Definitely. Ivan Vanko wasn't given enough screen time to be truly menacing and Justin Hammer came off as more of an arrogant schmuck than anyone truly dangerous.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm
Auteur

Having seen this film last night, I have to say i'm very satisfied with it overall, I had concern that it might have pacing issues, but to my surprise it actually went by pretty quickly, I didn't mind the stuff in Tennessee, the Tony/Harley relationship was interesting. The action really delivered the goods as well, the finale with all the suits attacking at once is one of the most incredible things i've seen on the big screen. I liked how we got to really "Know" Tony and who he his as a person, and I did not have a problem with the humor at all, I don't think it got too over-the-top. I was laughing pretty consistently, especially at the Mandarin's "reveal", which I have to say makes perfect sense, I don't know if the film would've played out as well if the Mandarin was more like he was in the comics, I heard rumors that his character was changed because Marvel was concerned that people might find his original characterization as offensive(basically due to being a walking Chinese stereotype) and also because otherwise China would've probably banned the film and the studios didn't want to miss out on profits there. I think Killian was a pretty effective villain anyways, plus the foreshadowing does make it kinda obvious where the film is headed(I.E. you see a teleprompter in the Mandarin's room, and if you closely at his side, you see that his guns are plastic replicas, plus his speech about fortune cookies being an American invention and "hollow"), all in all I would say this is easily just as good and has just as much heart as the first film.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Having seen this film last night, I have to say i'm very satisfied with it overall, I had concern that it might have pacing issues, but to my surprise it actually went by pretty quickly, I didn't mind the stuff in Tennessee, the Tony/Harley relationship was interesting. The action really delivered the goods as well, the finale with all the suits attacking at once is one of the most incredible things i've seen on the big screen. I liked how we got to really "Know" Tony and who he his as a person, and I did not have a problem with the humor at all, I don't think it got too over-the-top. I was laughing pretty consistently, especially at the Mandarin's "reveal", which I have to say makes perfect sense, I don't know if the film would've played out as well if the Mandarin was more like he was in the comics, I heard rumors that his character was changed because Marvel was concerned that people might find his original characterization as offensive(basically due to being a walking Chinese stereotype) and also because otherwise China would've probably banned the film and the studios didn't want to miss out on profits there. I think Killian was a pretty effective villain anyways, plus the foreshadowing does make it kinda obvious where the film is headed(I.E. you see a teleprompter in the Mandarin's room, and if you closely at his side, you see that his guns are plastic replicas, plus his speech about fortune cookies being an American invention and "hollow"), all in all I would say this is easily just as good and has just as much heart as the first film.

Originally, I thought that the Mandarin was a great villain for the first hour or so. Upon further consideration, I've changed my mind. He's an anti-American caricature for the first half of the movie. Then, his character is essentially ruined because Shane Black just had to include a clever, albeit unnecessary, twist.

See, I don't get all of the praise concerning the development of Tony's character. The movie foregoes any conclusion concerning his post-traumatic stress disorder, nor does his character ever display any genuine emotion. He keeps cracking jokes after Potts' apparent death (lazy executive there, too). I just don't buy into the whole "he's-narcissistic-he-doesn't-need-to-show-emotion" explanation. Seems like a cop-out.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Originally, I thought that the Mandarin was a great villain for the first hour or so. Upon further consideration, I've changed my mind. He's an anti-American caricature for the first half of the movie. Then, his character is essentially ruined because Shane Black just had to include a clever, albeit unnecessary, twist.

See, I don't get all of the praise concerning the development of Tony's character. The movie foregoes any conclusion concerning his post-traumatic stress disorder, nor does his character ever display any genuine emotion. He keeps cracking jokes after Potts' apparent death (lazy executive there, too). I just don't buy into the whole "he's-narcissistic-he-doesn't-need-to-show-emotion" explanation. Seems like a cop-out.

Well I didn't see it as "lazy" at all, I saw it as Tony trying to cover up his real feelings, it didn't feel like a cop-out to me because I sort of had the same reaction when my cousin died, I was playing a video game when my mom told me about what had happened, I didn't drop the controller in shock or anything, I just kept right on playing and my mood didn't really change at all that day, it took a few days for her death to fully sink in for me, and even when it did sink in at her funeral, I never cried over it, so Tony's characterization rang very true for me.

I thought the twist WAS very clever and I don't think the character was "ruined" in the least, if anything it was for the better, as I have to say the original characterization of the Mandarin in the comics does not sound particularly impressive as far as villains go, people compare him to the Joker, but from what i've read, he dosen't sound like he's anywhere near the same league.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:05 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I didn't see it as "lazy" at all, I saw it as Tony trying to cover up his real feelings, it didn't feel like a cop-out to me because I sort of had the same reaction when my cousin died, I was playing a video game when my mom told me about what had happened, I didn't drop the controller in shock or anything, I just kept right on playing and my mood didn't really change at all that day, it took a few days for her death to fully sink in for me, and even when it did sink in at her funeral, I never cried over it, so Tony's characterization rang very true for me.

I thought the twist WAS very clever and I don't think the character was "ruined" in the least, if anything it was for the better, as I have to say the original characterization of the Mandarin in the comics does not sound particularly impressive as far as villains go, people compare him to the Joker, but from what i've read, he dosen't sound like he's anywhere near the same league.

It didn't ring true for me at all. The first half is very character-oriented, while the second and third acts drop all of that and move on. Overall, both IM2 and IM3 are on the same plane for me.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm
Auteur

Geuss we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't think the second or thir act "dropped" anything, it was pretty consistent through out IMO.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 pm
Cinematographer

Completely disagree. Everything after the big reveal felt like a joke. Way too much humor.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Completely disagree. Everything after the big reveal felt like a joke. Way too much humor.

I say no way Jose! I loved the humor, from Tony taunting his captors, the limited edition watch, Tony's mach-42 getting flattened out of nowhere, Tony's dumbfounded reaction to Pepper being alive, Kingsley's over-the-top antics, the scenes between Harley and Tony, it just felt like it fit perfectly somehow. I'm relieved the film wasn't quite as dark as the trailer made it out to be.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

I say no way Jose! I loved the humor, from Tony taunting his captors, the limited edition watch, Tony's mach-42 getting flattened out of nowhere, Tony's dumbfounded reaction to Pepper being alive, Kingsley's over-the-top antics, the scenes between Harley and Tony, it just felt like it fit perfectly somehow. I'm relieved the film wasn't quite as dark as the trailer made it out to be.

I don't hate the twist because it detracts from the comics. I hate the twist because it's poorly executed. It could have worked, had Guy Pearce's character been well-developed. Instead, he's just another villain of the week, a wealthy geek-turned-industrialist who is angry with the world.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

I don't hate the twist because it detracts from the comics. I hate the twist because it's poorly executed. It could have worked, had Guy Pearce's character been well-developed. Instead, he's just another villain of the week, a wealthy geek-turned-industrialist who is angry with the world.

Well I thought it was well executed and thought Pierce was sufficinetly developed, his character may not be original, but I could live with that.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Well I thought it was well executed and thought Pierce was sufficinetly developed, his character may not be original, but I could live with that.

How so?

Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm
Producer

Loved Iron Man 3 and I found the twist involving the Mandarin to be rather clever and Ben Kingsley actually gives a funny performance.

If we didn't have other villains to compensate then maybe I'd be angry. But we do. Guy Pearce and ESPECIALLY James Badge Dale were awesome bad guys.

Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 am
Second Unit Director

Here are some things that don't make sense:

Tony's suits we're supposedly destroyed in the initial Mandarin attack (except the mk42 he was wearing). Why is he able to summon 30+ of them at the end? Why did he wait so long? Why didn't he immediately summon them whenever he got to tennessee? He could have had himself a brand new suit throughout the whole film. All of those suits could have rescued the falling people from air force one easily, they could have stormed the mansion before Jame's badge dale's character even blew air force one up.

And no, I won't accept, "derp, well there wouldn't be a movie had that happened." That is just sloppy writing.

Tony getting his shrapnel out at the end. The procedure could be done then, but not in Iron Man 1 or 2? I guess the studio did this to let Robert Downey Jr. end his rain as iron man and pass the torch to someone, but whatever.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I hate sloppy writing.

Wed May 08, 2013 6:11 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Here are some things that don't make sense:

Tony's suits we're supposedly destroyed in the initial Mandarin attack (except the mk42 he was wearing). Why is he able to summon 30+ of them at the end? Why did he wait so long? Why didn't he immediately summon them whenever he got to tennessee? He could have had himself a brand new suit throughout the whole film. All of those suits could have rescued the falling people from air force one easily, they could have stormed the mansion before Jame's badge dale's character even blew air force one up.

And no, I won't accept, "derp, well there wouldn't be a movie had that happened." That is just sloppy writing.

Tony getting his shrapnel out at the end. The procedure could be done then, but not in Iron Man 1 or 2? I guess the studio did this to let Robert Downey Jr. end his rain as iron man and pass the torch to someone, but whatever.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I hate sloppy writing.

I was able to overlook those details, I can offer an explanation for the schrapnel though, I think it was implied that the extremis was what allowed the procedure to be done.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am