Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:52 pm

We All Need to Nut Up and Watch More Movies! 
Critic

Post We All Need to Nut Up and Watch More Movies!
I'm sensing forum ennui....the worst kind of ennui

Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's baseball season. But our totals for April were pathetic. I didn't crack ten. AJ didn't crack 35 (AJ operates on a different plane than the rest of us. Crunky Unke only hit 12. Blondie, that crazy son of a bitch, only hit 14. Kennyboy hit 11. So basically, we need to reach down, reestablish that, yes, we still have a pair of testicles, and watch some fucking films. Boom!

I'm not going to go all nutsack crazy on this shit (gotta prepare kids for the mothafuckin AP Government exam) but I think 15 new movies is a nice, respectable goal. May has 31 days after all.

Who's with me? WHO'S BLOODY WITH ME? I'm a goddamn movie-watcher and I'm god damn proud of it! Reelviews prevails!

Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Producer

Post Re: We All Need to Nut Up and Watch More Movies!
11's not too far out there for me... but yeah, my "to watch" list is only getting longer. Shamefully, I have not one, but two movies that I had to stop partway through and have yet to finish. Those were to be my last movies of April, but will now be the beginning of May.

It will help that my work schedule just changed and freed up my non-band evenings again. That's been a big hair in the soup ever since last summer. For my part, it hasn't really been ennui so much as a bunch of other stuff taking up my best hours.

And for most of us, it will surely help when the number of must-see theatrical releases goes up, which is right around the corner.

Unless Man of Steel is some fucked up repugnant shit, I'll probably see it a bunch of times and cheat by counting each screening individually.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm
Director

It's not about how many movies you watch, it's about how good the movies you watch are. One good movie is worth 1000 bad ones.

Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
It's not about how many movies you watch, it's about how good the movies you watch are. One good movie is worth 1000 bad ones.

True for sure, but when I watch good ones it makes me want to watch more movies. And when I get in ruts, I watch easy-to-digest unmemorable movies which are never going to blow me away, which has the consequence of making me continue to watch easy-to-digest, unmemorable movies.

There's a clear correlation for me between quantity of movies watched and quality of movies watched.

Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm
Second Unit Director

I did 19 this past month which was pretty good for me, but I'm with you James. More films!!!!

Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 pm
Assistant Director

You picked the right time to mention this. I'm jumping on board as well. Getting Netflix movies two at a time in the mail plus the free streaming through my PS3. First up, BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET. Since I'm positive JB is giving 4 stars to the third movie, I must catch up before his review is posted.

My moviegoing frequency was way down in 2010 and 2011, so I'm catching up there as well. Movies I haven't seen from those years include SHAME, TRUE GRIT, IDES OF MARCH, THE DESCENDANTS, BLACK SWAN, BURIED, EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, and TREE OF LIFE.

I did a top 10 list every year from 1999 thru 2009, but stopped in 2010 and 2011 before coming back with a vengeance in 2012. 2011 is up in the air, but I'm confident that INCEPTION will remain my fave from 2010.

Now wait for it......

Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 pm
Second Unit Director

April was a shitty month for me. Between sports taking center-stage and weather heating up like crazy here, I didn't have enough time for movies. Add to that work suddenly geared its ugly head as well. May/June will be considerably better. There won't be a lot of sports to watch since all seasons get over. Plus all the big 'uns are making their appearances which is going to be awesome. Bring it on, I say!

Thu May 02, 2013 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I had a bad April, mostly owed to moving home.

We're still not fully unpacked. But should be set for 10 this month.

Good call, Kunz. You motherfucker!!

Thu May 02, 2013 4:04 am
Auteur

I watch a lot of films aside from theatrical releases, but those are usually direct to video films that most people have not heard of.

Thu May 02, 2013 4:15 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
I had a bad April, mostly owed to moving home.

We're still not fully unpacked. But should be set for 10 this month.

Good call, Kunz. You motherfucker!!

THAT'S RIGHT! *Manly chest bump*

Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 am
Cinematographer

While I never have a good output, last month was the lowest. My only activity was to join the movie club for a round. Glad I got to see something I otherwise never would have. This month is not looking any better. Financial pressures and non-movie related family activities are chewing up my viewing opportunities.

Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Who's with me? WHO'S BLOODY WITH ME? I'm a goddamn movie-watcher and I'm god damn proud of it! Reelviews prevails!

*grabs cock and sack*

I'M FUCKING WITH YOU!

No, but really, I've been meaning to watch more. I'm really ashamed of my totals. Life and all, but that's just an excuse. I can make time. Kunzie throwing down the gauntlet motivates.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm
Gaffer

I've seen four movies this month already, and I'm starting my fifth.

Alright, ramblers. Let's get ramblin'.

Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain - 5/10
Crystal Lake Memories - 8/10
Carrie (2013) - 6/10
Eve of Destruction - 7/10
Phil Spector - 5/10

Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 pm
Second Unit Director

April was dreadful for me. May will be worse. Too much Stanley Cup Playoff action.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 am
Assistant Director

Gedmud wrote:
April was dreadful for me. May will be worse. Too much Stanley Cup Playoff action.

Go Blackhawks!!!!! (Even though I live in Maryland, I have a ton of family in Chicago and love all their teams. A second home, really)

Just caught up on both of the BEFORE movies. Wow. Love them. These are what movies about romance should be. All about dialogue and characters learning about one another. No villains whatsoever (unless you consider time to be a foe). Just like real life.

That's two movies for me thus far in May and I'm seeing IRON MAN 3 tomorrow. Hopefully my May total comes in around 20 or so.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 am
Cinematographer

Work has been hectic for me. I've been working 6 days a week, sometimes going out at 6:30am and coming home at 10:30pm, so I haven't been able to either watch films or post as frequently as I usually do. I did watch 8 films in April, which was more or less within my usual meager range of watches (one more than February).

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Classes and projects have got so much in the way. I can't even remember the last movie I watched. But now that I finished my final exam week yesterday I expect to watch more movies (I actually am going to Iron Man 3 later in the day). Another thing is that right now there are so many good TVs in every genre, and generally in my opinion the average quality is higher than what's out in theater nowadays.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 pm
Critic

Sounds like you pussies are all making excuses. Well you know who makes excuses? People who are not ostentatiously heterosexual, that's who! Go out and grab some titties and watch movies! Don't stay at home (not grabbing titties) and making excuses! RAWRRRGGGG!

Sat May 04, 2013 9:09 am
Second Unit Director

I very much appreciate your manly call to action and, hold on - zzziiip, yep, they're still there, zzzip - I can confirm that all is good and well with the testicles, but, regrettably, I can't susbcribe to your pledge of 15-movies-a-month. Actually, I'm rather proud (or relieved) that I have stopped the rot: In February and March I only saw 7 and 8 movies respectively. So 12 in April isn't all that bad for me.

That being said, there's no room for excuses when it comes to grabbing some hooters. Working regulations on sexual harassment be damned, well-endowed intern on the second floor, here I come ...

Mon May 06, 2013 8:12 am
Second Unit Director

The highlight of my April was watching Jurassic Park 3D with a lady who's probably not that interested in me. It's time for a change!!!

Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm