Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Unsung Great Films 
Auteur

Post Re: Unsung Great Films
Gwaihir wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Edward Zwick's The Siege is a truly amazing and eerily presciient film.

Ugh, Bruce Willis (more accurately, his character and what his role in the plot is, but his performance was bad too) utterly ruins this film. The resolution is way too pat and framed in too simplistic terms just so it can have a "Hollywood ending."

Bening was off her game too. Washington and Shalhoub are fantastic as always and the tense scenes are very well done and appropriately tense, but it's impossible to take seriously when the ending drops the ball so badly.

On topic for the thread, I don't know if a Coen film qualifies as unsung, but I recommend The Man Who Wasn't There to anyone. It's not regarded as a Coen classic from what I've seen but I love it, and Tony Shalhoub is dynamite in it. Thinking about The Siege and Pain and Gain brought this one to mind, since I think Shalhoub is one of the more underrated actors working.

I agree wthat Willis's character kind of brought down the film, but he certainly didn't ruin it IMO, and the ending didn't feel very "Hollywoodish" to me at all.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:36 pm
Second Unit Director

I think Billy Ray's Shattered Glass is pretty great. A film that's genuinely about journalism as an idea, but also about real and believable characters. Hayden Christensen has a bit of a bad rep, which is mostly deserved, but he's fabulous here, and Peter Sarsgaard delivers of the great and relatively unsung performances of the 2000s. The subtleties in his work here are incredible. As a whole it's way more suspenseful and involving than the events on their surface would suggest. Billy Ray went on to make Breach, which is also really good I think and almost eerily similar in how it unfolds. But Shattered Glass is the better and more important film, which ended up in my top ten of that decade.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
I think Billy Ray's Shattered Glass is pretty great. A film that's genuinely about journalism as an idea, but also about real and believable characters. Hayden Christensen has a bit of a bad rep, which is mostly deserved, but he's fabulous here, and Peter Sarsgaard delivers of the great and relatively unsung performances of the 2000s. The subtleties in his work here are incredible. As a whole it's way more suspenseful and involving than the events on their surface would suggest. Billy Ray went on to make Breach, which is also really good I think and almost eerily similar in how it unfolds. But Shattered Glass is the better and more important film, which ended up in my top ten of that decade.

Shattered Glass is a good pick. I saw it when it came out and remember thinking it's a really excellent film.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:05 pm
Critic

Shade2 wrote:

I liked Shattered Glass so much I bought it the other month (I rarely buy movies)

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:16 pm
Second Unit Director

[/quote]
I agree wthat Willis's character kind of brought down the film, but he certainly didn't ruin it IMO, and the ending didn't feel very "Hollywoodish" to me at all.[/quote]

IIRC doesn't Willis' arrest end the terrorism? Because the only thing the U.S. did that would cause terrorists to bomb it is the unsanctioned arrest of one of their leaders. It makes him a too convenient, typical villain.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:

I agree wthat Willis's character kind of brought down the film, but he certainly didn't ruin it IMO, and the ending didn't feel very "Hollywoodish" to me at all.[/quote]

IIRC doesn't Willis' arrest end the terrorism? Because the only thing the U.S. did that would cause terrorists to bomb it is the unsanctioned arrest of one of their leaders. It makes him a too convenient, typical villain.[/quote]
It was a variety of things that ended the terrorism, not just his arrest.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I liked Shattered Glass so much I bought it the other month (I rarely buy movies)

Exact same thing for me! A $1 purchase, at that. The commentary is well worthwhile, if you're so inclined. And of course the 20/20 special is interesting.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm
Critic

Shade2 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Exact same thing for me! A $1 purchase, at that. The commentary is well worthwhile, if you're so inclined. And of course the 20/20 special is interesting.

I did watch and liked the 20/20 special. The real Glass comes across as way gayer.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 pm
Second Unit Director

I remember seeing Shattered Glass on TV and thinking it was on par with that made-for-tv movie about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs with the dude from ER. I am obviously spacing a bit here but .....

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm
Critic

mrguinness wrote:
I remember seeing Shattered Glass on TV and thinking it was on par with that made-for-tv movie about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs with the dude from ER. I am obviously spacing a bit here but .....

No man it's a terrific film. Not one of my Top 10 of the decade, but a fascinating insight into journalism that becomes almost a slow-burn thriller. Really excellent

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 pm
Director

Another one. Although I'm not sure how unsung it is, I'd put Alfonso Cuaron's Children Of Men.

A lot of critics liked it and I remember seeing it on many end of the year and a few end of the decade best of lists. But a lot of people seem to be unaware of it.

Cuaron effectively brings this dystopian future nightmare to life. He brings us inside by showing a society that's not living under rubble but has fallen apart structurally. That makes what we see frighteningly plausible.

The performances by Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine and Chjweitel Ejiofor are all great. The action sequences we see here are some of the best ones I've seen in a while. Like Pan's Labyrith from the same year, this is not a movie you watch. You experience it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Another one. Although I'm not sure how unsung it is, I'd put Alfonso Cuaron's Children Of Men.

A lot of critics liked it and I remember seeing it on many end of the year and a few end of the decade best of lists. But a lot of people seem to be unaware of it.

Cuaron effectively brings this dystopian future nightmare to life. He brings us inside by showing a society that's not living under rubble but has fallen apart structurally. That makes what we see frighteningly plausible.

The performances by Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine and Chjweitel Ejiofor are all great. The action sequences we see here are some of the best ones I've seen in a while. Like Pan's Labyrith from the same year, this is not a movie you watch. You experience it.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call that film "unsung" i've heard most critics praise it. Personally I thought it could've been better then it was(Moore's character was far too underused for my liking)

Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call that film "unsung" i've heard most critics praise it. Personally I thought it could've been better then it was(Moore's character was far too underused for my liking)

Thank goodness Vexer didn't like it, cause its a brilliant film.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm
Auteur

mrguinness wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Thank goodness Vexer didn't like it, cause its a brilliant film.
Wow, you really have a hard on for me don't you? :lol:

Anyways I I thought Children Of Men was decent, but I wasn't exactly blown away by it like most critics were.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm
Producer

Children of Men does have its weaknesses (almost entirely caused by the faux cinema verite stylings, for my part), but it's a scrappy movie with an interesting conceit behind it. It's one of those Inception-type movies where you can't dismiss it even if you find it severely flawed.

Mon May 13, 2013 8:04 pm