Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:58 am

The First Four-Star Movie of 2013 
Producer

Post Re: The First Four-Star Movie of 2013
BrianB wrote:
Obviously, Before Midnight is the most likely candidate, but I really hope it's The Great Gatsby.

It doesn't seem like anyone has seen Gatsby yet. But I do harbor hope that it's good and popular so that there's even the slightest chance of pulling back from the cultural infantilization that is the superhero genre. Luhrmann's style is decadent. The material is about decadence. Could be a good match. Could easily just be very stupid though. Here's hoping.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
BrianB wrote:
Obviously, Before Midnight is the most likely candidate, but I really hope it's The Great Gatsby.

It doesn't seem like anyone has seen Gatsby yet. But I do harbor hope that it's good and popular so that there's even the slightest chance of pulling back from the cultural infantilization that is the superhero genre. Luhrmann's style is decadent. The material is about decadence. Could be a good match. Could easily just be very stupid though. Here's hoping.

"Cultural infantilization"? Really? Sure, some comic-book movies are godawful, and the constant rebooting and remaking and "sequeling" of popular titles is frustrating, but the superhero genre is certainly not to blame.

I would much rather put up with dozens of uninspired comic-book movies over enduring Hollywood's new habit of taking great works of literature and turning them into sappy melodramas for younger generations. Then again, both types of film-making denigrate great works of literature, so I'm not even sure about that.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm
Producer

Quote:
I would much rather put up with dozens of uninspired comic-book movies over enduring Hollywood's new habit of taking great works of literature and turning them into sappy melodramas for younger generations. Then again, both types of film-making denigrate great works of literature, so I'm not even sure about that.

The difference, for me, is that comic books were never of much literary value to begin with. Sure, Hollywood may do some butchering regarding true literary classics, but their basic, original substance remains. Despite Tom Hooper's limitations, Les Miserables retains something of what it originally was. For an older example, Dorian Gray of 1945. Directorially, that movie's a drag, but Oscar Wilde's story remains mostly intact. I'm definitely a fan of the Gatsby book, and there hasn't been a definitive adaptation of it to date, so I'll remain mildly optimistic about this new movie even though my doubts are strong. As for current trends in the superhero genre, it just reminds me of what Kael said in her essay 45 years ago:

Quote:
The serious art look may be the latest fashion in expensive trash. All that “art” may be what prevents pictures like these from being enjoyable trash; they’re not honestly crummy, they’re very fancy and they take their crummy ideas seriously.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread. But I think the topic is pretty conclusive. I'm sure it's Before Midnight.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 pm
Director

I reached out to JB via twitter and guessed BEFORE MIDNIGHT. He's responded to me before (one time when I correctly guessed the movie he saw with the worst 3D ever, and another time when I thought he was being hacked when it was actually his 3-year-old son hitting the tweet button on an Ipad app). His silence here speaks volumes.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 pm
Gaffer

MGamesCook wrote:

Well I guess that's that. Before Midnight it is.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

The material is about decadence in that said decadence is an empty, hollow way to live life. From what I've seen of the trailer and Luhrmann's previous films, I'm not so sure that's something he's going to grasp. Luhrmann's decadent style seems more about indulgence than anything resembling criticism.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Guys, let's be real here...it's Pain and Gain. I mean, when has Michael Bay ever made anything other than a 4 star film???

My thoughts exactly. It has to be Pain and Gain. Certainly looks like a 4-star effort to me!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 am
Director

When I first read the brief sypnosis of Pain and Gain, I thought it looks right up Bay's alley... until I read the long but very compelling true-story article on which it is based on. Now I'm not surprised why one of the victim was offended by the seemingly comedic Bay treatment. For me personally, such an increasingly absurd, violent and mind-boggling turn of events in that story sounds like it would be perfect match for the Coen brothers.

For the four star movie being most likely Before Midnight, as if my anticipation couldn't get any higher...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
When I first read the brief sypnosis of Pain and Gain, I thought it looks right up Bay's alley... until I read the long but very compelling true-story article on which it is based on. Now I'm not surprised why one of the victim was offended by the seemingly comedic Bay treatment. For me personally, such an increasingly absurd, violent and mind-boggling turn of events in that story sounds like it would be perfect match for the Coen brothers.

For the four star movie being most likely Before Midnight, as if my anticipation couldn't get any higher...

Eh, i'm not really bothered by Bay changing a few details of the story for the film, I don't blame people for being offended, but that dosen't necessarily mean the story can't be made as a comedy, some of the "comedic" stuff in the film, like the characters dressing up as ninjas and kidnapping a guy in a parking lot, actually did happen in real life. So there's plenty of material to work with there.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

The difference, for me, is that comic books were never of much literary value to begin with. Sure, Hollywood may do some butchering regarding true literary classics, but their basic, original substance remains. Despite Tom Hooper's limitations, Les Miserables retains something of what it originally was. For an older example, Dorian Gray of 1945. Directorially, that movie's a drag, but Oscar Wilde's story remains mostly intact. I'm definitely a fan of the Gatsby book, and there hasn't been a definitive adaptation of it to date, so I'll remain mildly optimistic about this new movie even though my doubts are strong. As for current trends in the superhero genre, it just reminds me of what Kael said in her essay 45 years ago:

Quote:
The serious art look may be the latest fashion in expensive trash. All that “art” may be what prevents pictures like these from being enjoyable trash; they’re not honestly crummy, they’re very fancy and they take their crummy ideas seriously.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread. But I think the topic is pretty conclusive. I'm sure it's Before Midnight.

Yeah, you do this quite often. ;)

It's Before Midnight. Over and out.
PeachyPete wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

The material is about decadence in that said decadence is an empty, hollow way to live life. From what I've seen of the trailer and Luhrmann's previous films, I'm not so sure that's something he's going to grasp. Luhrmann's decadent style seems more about indulgence than anything resembling criticism.

I cannot stand Baz Luhrmann's films, and this version of The Great Gatsby reminds me of last year's Les Mis. Not good.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm
Gaffer

I'm sticking with 56 Up.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 pm
Director

gkanchan wrote:
I'm sticking with 56 Up.

Who knows, maybe it could be both. They're both long-awaited chapters in series that JB loves.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 pm
Director

I think the new Star Trek movie, but maybe it's What Maizie Knew

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 am