Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

THE BIG WEDDING 
Site Admin

Post THE BIG WEDDING
Click here for the review of The Big Wedding

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: THE BIG WEDDING
Heh, wasn't expecting you to review this one. Anyways it looks OK but i'll hold of seeing it until it hits DVD.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm
Cinematographer

They decided to open this against a Michael Bay film, so they must not really give a shit about making money on it.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
They decided to open this against a Michael Bay film, so they must not really give a shit about making money on it.

That statement sounds like your probably not married. Most of my male friends have wives who will be making them watch this this weekend and they can only wish they could go to a Micheal Bay movie. It is pretty good counterprogramming. Pain and Gain will go younger and male while Big Wedding will skew older and female. Will it win the weekend? Not likely given there is no promotion for this movie compared the trailers and ads for Pain and Gain but the box office projections for Pain and Gain is only 20 mil so there is almost no expectations for this movie either. It will be interesting if they can beat that mark.

Last edited by oakenshield32 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:29 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

That statement sounds like your probably not married. I have male friends who's wives will be making them watch this this weekend and they can only wish they could go to a Micheal Bay movie. It it pretty good counterprogramming. Pain and Gain will go younger and male while Big Wedding will skew older and female. Will it win the weekend? No likely but if they do 20 or 25 mil they will probably be more than happy.

Right, and they probably figure since it's not one of Bay's tentpole film they don't have to worry about losing too much.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Great tweet for this review, James. Did you think you would ever recommend a Bay movie over another for weekend viewing options?

As for box office, boxofficemojo.com stated that one issue with the box office this weekend is that Iron Man 3 and "the official" kickoff of the summer movie season is next week, so moviegoers may opt to stay home and wait for the major tentpoles to spend their money.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Director

I don't think anyone expected JB to review this one. I know the reasoning for skipping a lot of really bad looking movies like Movie 43, A Haunted House, and so on, but his strongly negative reviews are always a lot of fun to read. :D

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:02 pm
Second Unit Director

It's a post-Knocked Up comedy starring Katherine Heigl. Were you really expecting something good?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

That statement sounds like your probably not married. Most of my male friends have wives who will be making them watch this this weekend and they can only wish they could go to a Micheal Bay movie. It is pretty good counterprogramming. Pain and Gain will go younger and male while Big Wedding will skew older and female. Will it win the weekend? Not likely given there is no promotion for this movie compared the trailers and ads for Pain and Gain but the box office projections for Pain and Gain is only 20 mil so there is almost no expectations for this movie either. It will be interesting if they can beat that mark.

I guess we'll see after this weekend.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
It's a post-Knocked Up comedy starring Katherine Heigl. Were you really expecting something good?

It's an ensemble film, so she's not really the "star", and ironically her performance seems to be the one thing some critics actually did have good things to say about.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Since when has a woman ever "made" her husband go to the movies together? ;)

All kidding aside, Gwaihir may have a point with respect to the quote from boxofficemojo -- with Iron Man 3 coming out next week and many potential moviegoers opting to stay out of the theatres, it is unlikely that either Pain and Gain or the Big Wedding will make much of an impact on the box office.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

It's an ensemble film, so she's not really the "star", and ironically her performance seems to be the one thing some critics actually did have good things to say about.

Your friend, Dustin Putman, honestly has the funniest blurb for this movie featured on Rotten Tomatoes. Here it is:

Quote:
Lines such as, "Who do you have to lynch for a Cosmo around here?" pass for a version of humor that only a Mississippi slave owner in 1858 would likely find funny.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 am
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Your friend, Dustin Putman, honestly has the funniest blurb for this movie featured on Rotten Tomatoes. Here it is:

Quote:
Lines such as, "Who do you have to lynch for a Cosmo around here?" pass for a version of humor that only a Mississippi slave owner in 1858 would likely find funny.

Yeah, Dustin's a little sensitive towards stuff like that, he called out the Twilight films for "setting women's rights back 50 years" I have a bit of a dark sense of humor, so I find stuff like that funny in a screwed-up kind of way.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Yeah, Dustin's a little sensitive towards stuff like that, he called out the Twilight films for "setting women's rights back 50 years" I have a bit of a dark sense of humor, so I find stuff like that funny in a screwed-up kind of way.

The Twilight movies setting feminism back several decades? That's actually a widespread criticism. Nothing outisde the box about it at all. Thank God that series is over. Although if I had a choice, gun to my head, about whether to watch a Twilight movie or The Big Wedding, hmmmmmm.....

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The Twilight movies setting feminism back several decades? That's actually a widespread criticism. Nothing outisde the box about it at all. Thank God that series is over. Although if I had a choice, gun to my head, about whether to watch a Twilight movie or The Big Wedding, hmmmmmm.....

I know, and I agree with that critcism. I'd definitely choose this film over Twilight though.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I guess we'll see after this weekend.

$7.5 million as of today. I dunno, I guess for a rom-com, this is "successful" in terms of revenue? Pain and Gain sits at $20 million, so perhaps more guys were able to drag their wives or G/F's to see it rather than vice versa for The Big Wedding.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 pm
Gaffer

I went to the movies to see this with some friends (they picked the movie) and of course James is right it sucks. It is the very definition of underachiever. No one really tries and the whole thing looks like some sort of half baked acting seminar that was put on by famous actors at a lake resort paid to act in the movie for the sake of the audience. The name of the class would have been "Half-Hearted shitty movies 220."
I will say this. I was surprised how good Susan Sarandon looked in this. I don't know if she has had work done recently but for a 66 year old woman she looked positively radiant. Diane Keaton - on the other hand - looked every day night and vacation day of her 66 years and then some.
I really did seem like the actors were putting in no effort whatsoever. They didn't even look like they wanted to be there and judging from the final movie, I am not surprised it that was the case.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
$7.5 million as of today. I dunno, I guess for a rom-com, this is "successful" in terms of revenue? Pain and Gain sits at $20 million, so perhaps more guys were able to drag their wives or G/F's to see it rather than vice versa for The Big Wedding.

Those low numbers kind of say to me that a lot of married people stayed home to watch VOD, played golf or went shopping at Home Depot for honeytodo list projects while teens and twenty somethings more or less ignored both movies waiting for Ironman 3. The average per theater bears this out as Pain and Gain was $6100 per theater while Oblivion last week made $9800 per theater. I will say though just wait till you do get married. My one acquaintance has not seen a Tom Cruise movie in 15 years as his wife dislikes Cruise that much his movies are off limits..

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 am