Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie. 
Auteur

Post Re: Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie.
Jeff Wilder wrote:
http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/michael-bay-apologizes-for-armageddon.html?mid=imdb

Surpriserd that Armageddon is the film he'd apologize for. Pearl Harbor he owes us an apology for. Armageddon was far from great. But it was way better than prety much anything Bay's done since.

Personally I found Armageddon to be his weakest film, so I can see why he'd apologize for it. Bad Boys 2 remains my favorite film of his.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/michael-bay-apologizes-for-armageddon.html?mid=imdb

Surpriserd that Armageddon is the film he'd apologize for. Pearl Harbor he owes us an apology for. Armageddon was far from great. But it was way better than prety much anything Bay's done since.

Personally I found Armageddon to be his weakest film, so I can see why he'd apologize for it. Bad Boys 2 remains my favorite film of his.

The Rock is definitely my favorite of his.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

The Rock is definitely my favorite of his.

I'll take The Island. Hell I own that one.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm
Auteur

Island is my second favorite, The Rock is my third, after that it's Dark Of The Moon, the first TF film, Revenge Of The Fallen, Pearl Harbor and lastly Armageddon. Of all the films produced by his company Platinum Dunes, the Hitcher remake would be my favorite.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 am
Producer

I liked The Island for the first 2/3rd's of the movie. But then I felt the movie got really dumb in the 3rd act. I don't know, I guess it's no dumber than any other Michael Bay movie, but it was just really noticeable this time around.

I thought Bay ruled in the 90's. Loved Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon. But his movies became more uneven in the 2000's. I enjoyed Pearl Harbor as a guilty pleasure, but taken as a serious movie and it's kind of bad. It's just too silly to be taken too seriously. Especially when you have Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett playing chicken with the Japanese.

Bad Boys 2 was enjoyable but it was severely bloated. I guess all of Bay's movies are, except for the first Bad Boys (the only movie of his that is about 2 hours, everything else is much longer). But this was the first time where it was very noticeable to me. It needed to be cut by a good 30 to 45 minutes.

I've already talked about the Island. And then came Transformers. Everybody loved the first one, except me. It's easily the worst one IMO. Horrendous dialog. And shaky cam mixed with Bay's love of the quickcut made for such a incomprehensible movie to actually watch.

I actually thought Transformers 2 and 3 were an improvement on the first one. The second film was still so-so because of the stupid attempts at humor and the overly convoluted story. But the action was entertaining, although the shaky cam was still problem. It was not, however a problem with Transformers 3. Shooting in 3D actually FORCED Michael Bay to actually have focus on a shot for more than 2 seconds at a time and even better, no more shaky cam. It made for what was easily the most clearest of the Transformers movies, and the movie was more enjoyable to boot. The only downside to the movie was that Shai Lebouf's character was rather whiny. And while it was kind of understandable why he was whiny, it's not a trait you want for the "hero" of a movie.

My grades for all Michael Bay movies:

Bad Boys: B
The Rock: B+
Armageddon: B+

Pearl Harbor: B-
Bad Boys 2: B-
The Island: C+
Transformers: C
Transformers 2: C+
Transformers 3: B

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 am
Director

For me, this is a clear one. Sam Raimi for Spiderman 3. I mean What. The. Hell.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 am
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:

Eh, I liked it well enough, to be fair the studio forced him to include Venom in the film against his wishes and he tried to make the best of it.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Eh, I liked it well enough, to be fair the studio forced him to include Venom in the film against his wishes and he tried to make the best of it.

Somehow I'm less than surprised. You really are Mr. Contrarian it seems.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Somehow I'm less than surprised. You really are Mr. Contrarian it seems.

For me to Mr. Contrarian, I would actually have to like the Twilight films.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 am
Producer

Spider-Man 3 is better than Spider-Man 2. The main flaw of Spider-Man 3 is there is too much going on. Too many characters, too many stories, etc. But there are still elements of the movie I liked. Also, admittedly, emo Peter didn't work, at all. The dancing scene was awful. Also, I like Tobey Maguire, but the can not cry convincingly. The scene where he cries when Mary Jane is forced to break up with him is hilariously awful. There are other problems with the movie but most of them stem from too much going going on. It's still an entertaining movie though. Good action. The one sub plot that works because they actually accorded it enough time (although I still wanted more) is James Franco's arc. I thought his story was for the most part well handled.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
For me to Mr. Contrarian, I would actually have to like the Twilight films.

Damn. Touche. Can't think of a comeback for that one.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Spider-Man 3 is better than Spider-Man 2. The main flaw of Spider-Man 3 is there is too much going on. Too many characters, too many stories, etc. But there are still elements of the movie I liked. Also, admittedly, emo Peter didn't work, at all. The dancing scene was awful. Also, I like Tobey Maguire, but the can not cry convincingly. The scene where he cries when Mary Jane is forced to break up with him is hilariously awful. There are other problems with the movie but most of them stem from too much going going on. It's still an entertaining movie though. Good action. The one sub plot that works because they actually accorded it enough time (although I still wanted more) is James Franco's arc. I thought his story was for the most part well handled.

Spiderman 3 is unwatchable. The second films displays a few of the confused traits that would later dominate and destroy the truly dreadful third.

Spiderman follows The Matrix template. Excellent first; flawed but not without redeeming feature second; freefall third.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm
Producer

I always thought that if the villain subplot of Spider-Man 2 were grafted onto the heroic arc and romantic subplot of the first Spider-Man, we'd have a truly excellent representation of the character.

Alas, both films are imperfect, so I'm actually glad that the controversial reboot is giving us another chance at an ultimate Spider-Man movie.

Uh, for the comic book followers, no pun intended.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:36 am
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
patrick wrote:
Bet you a dollar that those problems still appear on the Blu-Ray but even more magnified. I'm sure a great movie with that story exists....it's not Heaven's Gate. It never was Heaven's Gate. It will never be Heaven's Gate. Give up now, life is too short...especially yours old man ;) ;) ;)

Well then I'll keep the BluRay as a collector's item. After all it is an important part of cinema history -good or bad. I'll try again to work my way trough it, so at least I can talk about that flick. Yeah, life is too short, especially when you find yourself "on the other end" - the "middle part" (say: age 20 through 40, give or take) passes in a split second, blink and you miss it. Trust me.
I have already seen enough to say "Heaven's Gate" is a bad movie. Having seen the 2002 documentrary, I come to the conclusion that Michael Cimino not only became a megalomaniac and fell in love with his own work (he did have talent and it should have prevented him from that great a disaster) - I have the feeling that he was also (to put it mildly) under the influence of certain substances which led him to such a ridiculously hard and redundant working schedule and being self-centered. Add to that the completely unnecessary inclusion of totally unnecessary scenes and bad editing which favor "beautiful" camera angles and image compositions and sacrifice narrative thrust. A true artist needs to know when to let go off a single idea in favor of the big picture. Hanging on to that "beautiful shot" just because it took so long to make it, is immature. I will have to see the remaining two thirds (in acceptable quality please). And in the end my opinion will probably be: "yeah, sorry, I made that one (good) movie - that movie was "The Deer Hunter"....
Please stay tuned - I will post in "last movie you watched"

Did you ever finish watching this one? I haven't seen a follow-up in the "last movie you watched" thread.

My memory is that the murky appearance and poor sound mix you complained about on the DVD version were among the complaints directed at the movie at the time of its release, so they weren't artifacts of the process of putting it on DVD, but deliberate choices make my Micheal Cimino, so they not going to be corrected on the Bul-Ray edition. But my memory could be faulty on that point, so I was kind of interested to hear if the Blu-Ray was better (of course, it could be that these elements were there to start with, but were even worse on the DVD).

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 pm