Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610 ... 807  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ragnarok73 wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
Iron Man 3 3 1/2 stars
This is now my favourite entry in the Iron Man movie franchise! A lot of fun for the whole family. Centred solely on Iron Man/Tony Stark and with not connection with Avengers 2 although The Avengers gets briefly mentioned. As usual for Marvel films stays after the credits ends to see some extra footage (funny in this case)

Was this an advance screening you got to attend, or has the film opened in Australia?

The film opened in Australia last night as today is a public holiday

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Sound Of My Voiceans, one of whom has a tragedy in his past linked to cult obsession, infiltrate the ranks to expose her true nature.

Nice review. I think I probably liked it a bit more than you, though. The film is not that substantial, but it did stay with me for a while. Good performances from most of the cast. All around, a solid and interesting watch.

Thanks! I do agree that it is solid and interesting, but I definitely think there are better things to come for Marling. Still though, it's definitely compelling enough for an early effort.

Have you seen Arbitrage, with Richard Gere? Pretty good film, and she has a supporting, yet crucial role in it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Thief12 wrote:
Have you seen Arbitrage, with Richard Gere? Pretty good film, and she has a supporting, yet crucial role in it.

Yes, good film! She's also in a new one coming out next month called The East, which looks like it could be worth seeing.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Yes, good film! She's also in a new one coming out next month called The East, which looks like it could be worth seeing.

I really liked Arbitrage. Cracked my Top 10 last year I think

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm
Producer

Just finished watching Season of the Witch. Should have listened to everybody. It's every bit as bad as advertised. The only reason why I decided to give it a try is because there have been a couple of Nic Cage movies that got bad reviews that I enjoyed. Seeking Justice was a cool thriller IMO. But nope, not this time. This one is as bad as advertised unfortunately. And Cage continues to be the most inconsistent actor working today.

I'll generously give this 1.5 stars since the bridge scene was kind of suspenseful. But the rest of the movie was crap.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Just finished watching Season of the Witch. Should have listened to everybody. It's every bit as bad as advertised. The only reason why I decided to give it a try is because there have been a couple of Nic Cage movies that got bad reviews that I enjoyed. Seeking Justice was a cool thriller IMO. But nope, not this time. This one is as bad as advertised unfortunately. And Cage continues to be the most inconsistent actor working today.

I'll generously give this 1.5 stars since the bridge scene was kind of suspenseful. But the rest of the movie was crap.

Usually I like Cage films that get bashed by critics like Trespass and Seeking Justice, but Season was just plain bad, Cage pretty much admitted that he only did the iflm because he always wanted to play a knight, so I don't really blame him so much as I do the terrible script and direction, a better actor wouldn't have been able to redeem this film.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 am
Producer

I have to differ on Cage being an inconsistent actor. I think he's an incredibly consistent actor who appears in inconsistent movies--and I say he's consistent because he always tweaks his performance based on the grade level of the film. He's never acted in a way that wasn't utterly appropriate to the quality of the material, and he has never ever ever ever phoned in a performance.

The very thing that limits him from being considered among the great actors is the fact that his career features so much schlock, but I love him for embracing even the shittiest stuff. He doesn't act like he's above putting in the effort for a B-grade movie. When you turn up for a Cage film, you know he's going to do something entertaining at the very least, even if what you're in for is decidedly not a masterpiece.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:34 am
Producer

Well when I called him the most inconsistent actor working today, I mostly meant that his career in recent years have been very up and down in the movies themselves.

I liked the National Treasure movies, I liked Next. I like Bangkok Dangerous. I liked Seeking Justice. I liked Drive Angry. I liked Kick Ass.

But then he'll do mediocre to crap movies like Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider 2, Knowing, The Wicker Man, Trespass, Season of the Witch. I haven't seen Stolen, but it doesn't look very good either.

The only person who matches Cage for inconsistency is Halle Berry.

But I actually do think Cage's talent is inconsistent. Sometimes he's very good, sometimes he's great. Great performances from Cage include Lord of War, World Trade Center, Adaptation, Matchstick Men. He's really good in the National Treasure movies, The Weather Man, Windtalkers (an underrated movie!)

Even in some of the bad movies he'll be good. As much as I didn't like the Ghost Rider movies, I actually think Cage gives kind of a fun performance in them.

I disagree that he's never phoned in his performance. He did it Knowing. He did it in Trespass. He even looked flat out bored in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's patently clear that he didn't want to be there throughout the entire movie.

And he's pretty awful in Season of the Witch. In fact, the only person in Witch who manages to escape with their dignity intact is Ron Pearlman. Otherwise, the acting is pretty terrible all around.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:23 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I have to differ on Cage being an inconsistent actor. I think he's an incredibly consistent actor who appears in inconsistent movies--and I say he's consistent because he always tweaks his performance based on the grade level of the film. He's never acted in a way that wasn't utterly appropriate to the quality of the material, and he has never ever ever ever phoned in a performance.

The very thing that limits him from being considered among the great actors is the fact that his career features so much schlock, but I love him for embracing even the shittiest stuff. He doesn't act like he's above putting in the effort for a B-grade movie. When you turn up for a Cage film, you know he's going to do something entertaining at the very least, even if what you're in for is decidedly not a masterpiece.

While I think that Nicolas Cage is a fantastic actor in the right role, I strongly have to disagree. Of course, he has phoned in performances. The feeling of his boredom and disinetest is tangtible in movies such as 'The Sorcerer's Aprentice' or 'Season of the Witch'. I suppose you haven't seen wither of them and I advise you to simply trust me on this rather than suffering through these cinematic abominations. I don't want to feel responsible for any long-term damage resulting from the experience.

Also, he has a limited range. He is great as a downbeat man who is staring into the abyss in Birdy, Bringing out the Dead, Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation (his best performance showing his greatest range). And he is fantastic in his batshit crazy mode, for instance in WIld at Heart or most of his schlocky B-movies. Apart from that, he isn't that good - not exactly bad, but not particularly good.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am
Director

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil

This is a clever film that takes horror movie stereotypes and totally turns them on their head, and the results are great. This is more of a comedy than it is a horror film, but it's got some jumpy moments, and it is also really funny. Definitely worth watching.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm
Producer

Safe Haven

Fully expecting to hate this movie, but surprisingly, I didn't. I actually liked it. And when I first heard about the twist I thought it sounded awful, but it actually plays out fine in the movie. I don't know, maybe it's because I lost my mother almost a year ago, but the ending actually moved me. I guess I'm just a sap. :D

It gets 3 stars out of 4 from me.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 am
Critic

The Stranger (1946) ***

One of Orson Welles' lesser-known films, this film noir details investigator Edward G. Robinson's attempts to bring an ex-Nazi to justice. Notable for being the first American film to show footage of concentration camps, it has some interesting moments for a history buff (I had no idea people used the word "genocide" in 1946, for example) some smoothly-directed scenes by Welles, and enough interesting material to warrant a solid three stars.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:31 am
Second Unit Director

Oblivion (2012) 2/4

In the art world many say “There is nothing new (or original) under the sun,” and the newest film by Joseph Kosinski fully encapsulates that statement. Oblivion offers a glimpse into a world destroyed by a vague cosmic event, and that’s how it stays for the duration of the film: vague. The events that take place are explained, yet by the end of the film you may find yourself questioning many plot elements. Cruise is fine here, and brings his usual action star charisma to a film that never becomes its own entity.If you’ve seen a certain film by a certain someone, you will see all of the plot twists and turn coming from a galactic mile away. In this sense, Oblivion can’t escape itself—the viewer has seen most of this before. The third act redeems some of the vagueness that looms in the previous acts of the film, but it comes across as “too little to late.” Even though Oblivion creates a nice sci-fi atmosphere through stunning visuals and set designs, its plot seems recycled and overused. Ultimately, I had a lot of issues with this film—A wasted supporting cast (for the most part), no urgent stakes, and a plethora of chin scratching coincidences. Maybe I should be a bit more lenient to Oblivion..but I just really don't want to.

The certain someone and film I am referring to is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Duncan Jones' Moon

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) 3/4

Sandler finally puts aside his childish antics, and channels a pretty interesting/fun character to boot.There is an underlying charm to this film that raises it above a sort of dullness that seeps through at times. The strength of Punch-Drunk Love lies with Sandler and his character, and when the film cuts to focus on a odd sub plot it looses some of its luster and credibility. While this may not be among the top tier of Anderson’s work, I found it a formidable entry into his body of work.

Eames: The Architect & The Painter (2011) 2.5/4

An informative documentary about two of America’s most important and influential designers. This doc gives viewers an interesting look into some of the most influential designs made by the husband and wife duo, however this is really all the film does. I found myself longing for more personal information about the Eames—specifically their inspirations and processes for designing. The viewer is aware of issues between the couple, but we aren’t given any real insight into their lives beyond formal interviews. The film honestly never finds a happy medium between presenting the accomplishments of the Eames and the Eames themselves—creating a sort of “tug-o-war” feel to the film. One of the most interesting aspects of this film comes from the public relation jobs held by the Eames’. This area of the film examines how the Eames’ communicated with big audiences through visual imagery and design. I found this portion of the film to be extremely interesting, yet it never delved into the details much like the majority of the film. Overall, this an amusing look into the lives of the Eames’, but there is so much there and so little time to explore it.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:01 pm
Cinematographer

The Road What a bleak and depressing film. I felt a burden in my shoulders just watching it. Still, that's rather a testament to how well it was made than a jab against it. Great performances from Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, and Charlize Theron. I really loved how the film relied mostly on body language and visuals to tell its story. Little is known about what catastrophe occurred, what really is out there, but the visuals manage to tell all we need and what our characters are feeling. I'm still not sure what to think about the ending, but the film as a whole has really stayed with me since last night. Grade: A- but I can see the potential of this being higher with time.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
The Road What a bleak and depressing film. I felt a burden in my shoulders just watching it. Still, that's rather a testament to how well it was made than a jab against it. Great performances from Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, and Charlize Theron. I really loved how the film relied mostly on body language and visuals to tell its story. Little is known about what catastrophe occurred, what really is out there, but the visuals manage to tell all we need and what our characters are feeling. I'm still not sure what to think about the ending, but the film as a whole has really stayed with me since last night. Grade: A- but I can see the potential of this being higher with time.

I didn't care for it much. The periphery of the story (what little we see of it) seems fascinating, while the actual story of the man and his son seems mundane by comparison. The actions of the characters (leaving the shelter, the weird altercation with the flaregun and the arrow near the end) don't make much sense and the ending doesn't really fit, either tonally or in any logical plot universe

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:31 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

I didn't care for it much. The periphery of the story (what little we see of it) seems fascinating, while the actual story of the man and his son seems mundane by comparison. The actions of the characters (leaving the shelter, the weird altercation with the flaregun and the arrow near the end) don't make much sense and the ending doesn't really fit, either tonally or in any logical plot universe

The ending killed the film for me, because I found it to be way too preposterous. Apparently, it was faithful to the ending of the book that the film was adapted from, so I guess that's one instance in which the adaptation should have deviated from the source material. Leaving the shelter was also at best a highly questionable course of action for a couple of people struggling to find food and water in a post apocalyptic world.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:14 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Really? I thought that what set it apart from other post-apocalyptic films was its focus on the characters instead of the periphery. I mean, we've seen the US being destroyed by nukes, asteroids, aliens, and big lizards so many times that a focus on the emotional aftermath of such an event seemed like a novel approach to me.

As for the characters actions, I found them perfectly within the reality of the universe they're living. The father lives in constant fear with an ever-present sense of protection of his son, the only thing he has left. It makes perfect sense to me that what might seem like a small thing (a sound above the shelter, someone following them) would spring him from a conformity he isn't used to and back into the road again. He's used to the road, and is set on reaching someplace, anything. Him staying put and doing "nothing" before, led him to lose his wife and he doesn't want to lose his son. The boy, on the other hand, craves for some stability, some contact, which is why he wants to stay in the shelter, or why he approaches a kid he thinks is following him or embraces the old man.

I think the ending is up to interpretation. It might seem like an awkward glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak film, but I'm still trying to figure it out. I think the way it is presented might lead to alternate interpretations as to what the intentions of the man and the family in the end are.

There are also two symbols brought up near the end that I'm still trying to piece together. First, the symbolism of the road, which the Father preferred and wanted his son to follow. However, the guy in the end tells him to "keep off the road". Maybe I'm looking too hard for something, but I'm still trying to figure out that. Second, the symbolism of the fire that the father and son kept talking about. The same analogy is brought up in the end of McCarthy's other adaptation, No Country for Old Men, when the Sheriff remembers one of his dreams where his father rode past him "carryin' fire in a horn". It seems that it's a symbolism of a new birth and a desire to keep going forward and live, which the sheriff in NCFOM didn't have, and the father on The Road seemed to embrace, if only for his son.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Really? I thought that what set it apart from other post-apocalyptic films was its focus on the characters instead of the periphery. I mean, we've seen the US being destroyed by nukes, asteroids, aliens, and big lizards so many times that a focus on the emotional aftermath of such an event seemed like a novel approach to me.

Armies of cannibals ravaging the desolate wasteland for what few resources there are left.

vs.

Two dudes who walk a lot.

I'm being glib, but tell me you didn't think the best scene in the film is when they're in the basement of the farm house

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:55 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Armies of cannibals ravaging the desolate wasteland for what few resources there are left.

vs.

Two dudes who walk a lot.

I'm being glib, but tell me you didn't think the best scene in the film is when they're in the basement of the farm house

Anyone can phrase it according to how they perceived the film...

Bunch of hungry cannibals scrounging around

vs.

A grief-stricken father bent on protecting his son as they travel through a desolate wasteland

Of course, I'm just pointing out that glib brush-off goes both ways. But seriously, though, as intense as the basement scene was, I wouldn't say it was the best scene for me. Most of the scenes I would consider as "favorites" would be more introspective ones. The scene when the father dumps the wallet with the picture of his wife and hesitates to drop the wedding ring was a very powerful one. I also thought the scene AFTER they walk out of the basement, when the father almost shoots the son was another great moment. Not because of the intensity of them being discovered by the "cannibals", but for the emotional baggage it carries. That's just to name a few.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:

Anyone can phrase it according to how they perceived the film...

Bunch of hungry cannibals scrounging around

vs.

A grief-stricken father bent on protecting his son as they travel through a desolate wasteland

Yeah I'm still going to see Movie A here :)

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 604, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610 ... 807  Next