Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Game of Thrones
PeachyPete wrote:
Oh, absolutely. Still, it isn't like they have that much filming to do for each thread. If we get 5 minutes an episode, that's less than an hour for the entire season. Granted, there's always stuff they film and then edit out before the final product, but it just seems like a small amount of work for the actors over the course of an entire season.

The potential payoff for that short workspan can be pretty big too, as we're seeing with Emilia Clarke as she does Breakfast at Tiffany's on Broadway and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as he gets a role in the currently-playing Oblivion as well as other work thanks to his exposure in GoT.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 pm
Second Unit Director

What an Incredible episode. In my opinion, it was the second best behind the battle at black water. This series has the chance to be the GOAT series if HBO can keep things going like they are: keep enough from the books to please those fans while at the same time changing some things for the betterment of tv.

The red wedding is absolutely going to FLOOR people. Do you all think it will happen this season, or next since they split Storm of Swords into 2 seasons?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
What an Incredible episode. In my opinion, it was the second best behind the battle at black water. This series has the chance to be the GOAT series if HBO can keep things going like they are: keep enough from the books to please those fans while at the same time changing some things for the betterment of tv.

The red wedding is absolutely going to FLOOR people. Do you all think it will happen this season, or next since they split Storm of Swords into 2 seasons?

Not to be too much of a stickler, but any mention of future plot points should be put behind the spoiler curtain, even if they stem from the books.

My opinion is that it will happen this season.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm
Director

Episode 4 was definitely a good one, and the best of the season so far.

There was something I didn't quite get though:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why did Ramsay (or whoever that is), release Theon then kill the very guards who were trying to recapture him, only to return Theon himself? I'm guessing it is back to the SAME dungeon he was already in, because Ramsay (or whoever he is) clearly says "I bought him back, he killed the guards". I'm not getting the motivation for this course of action.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:10 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why did Ramsay (or whoever that is), release Theon then kill the very guards who were trying to recapture him, only to return Theon himself? I'm guessing it is back to the SAME dungeon he was already in, because Ramsay (or whoever he is) clearly says "I bought him back, he killed the guards". I'm not getting the motivation for this course of action.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ramsay is basically a psycho, sick individual. He was just toying with Theon, making him think he escaped just to ruin his day and torture him more.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
nitrium wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ramsay is basically a psycho, sick individual. He was just toying with Theon, making him think he escaped just to ruin his day and torture him more.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There is also a possibility that Ramsay wanted to get rid of men that weren't loyal enough to him due to his bastardy, men who didn't recognize his authority as the son of Lord Bolton. He used Theon's escape to get rid of them. In A Dance With Dragons, we can see that Ramsay doesn't have a great relationship with his father, so this would be completely in character for him.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
nitrium wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There is also a possibility that Ramsay wanted to get rid of men that weren't loyal enough to him due to his bastardy, men who didn't recognize his authority as the son of Lord Bolton. He used Theon's escape to get rid of them. In A Dance With Dragons, we can see that Ramsay doesn't have a great relationship with his father, so this would be completely in character for him.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
That seems on the face of it an INCREDIBLY high risk plan (even for a psycho) given how easily he could have fucked up killing that many guards and ended up dead himself. He could have simply watched, and let the guards recapture him which was in the process of happening. Surely the guards chasing Theon wouldn't be the ONLY guards not loyal to Ramsay. There would surely be dozens more. This story thread still doesn't make sense to me - at least not how it is so far presented in the TV show.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:05 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
That seems on the face of it an INCREDIBLY high risk plan (even for a psycho) given how easily he could have fucked up killing that many guards and ended up dead himself. He could have simply watched, and let the guards recapture him which was in the process of happening. Surely the guards chasing Theon wouldn't be the ONLY guards not loyal to Ramsay. There would surely be dozens more. This story thread still doesn't make sense to me - at least not how it is so far presented in the TV show.

Yep, we'll just have to keep watching to see how they wrote it out. It could turn out that we're all wrong about who the boy is.

Aside from the last scene with Dany, there's another scene I've been watching over and over since watching the episode:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Karl (Burn Gorman) calling Craster a "daughter-fucking, wildling bastard" to get the mutiny going. When Karl closed his eyes, I knew that he was going to stir shit up, but the way he said that insult still puts shivers up my spine, and that was before he put his dagger into Craster's throat. The only thing missing was the attack of the Others from that scene in the book, but I can forgive it here.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm
Director

For those that have read the books, how much does the TV show deviate from the source material? I assume the core story is more or less untouched, but are there many glaring differences?
Also I was wondering if the books are also spaced ~1 year apart. I ask, because the children are obviously getting exactly a year older with each season. Is that consistent with the timeline in the books? Arya and Bran especially are obviously going to noticeably age as the series progresses (assuming they don't get killed off of course :lol: ).

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
For those that have read the books, how much does the TV show deviate from the source material? I assume the core story is more or less untouched, but are there many glaring differences?

From what I've seen, the differences are mainly in the interest of keeping the story within each season. If they went to the trouble of keeping all of the details in, each season would likely have to be at least 12-13 episodes rather than 10. The fact that Martin himself is helping adapt the books to screen is a great advantage, since he understands what changes to make. Some of the notable changes from the books are as follows:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The Stark children are all older in the show by at least 2 years.
- Asha Greyjoy was renamed Yara Greyjoy to avoid confusion with Osha.
- Ser Cleos Frey was replaced with Alton Lannister.
- For budget reasons, the battle scenes are not shown in detail, notably the Battle of the Green Fork or the Sacking of Astapor.

nitrium wrote:
Also I was wondering if the books are also spaced ~1 year apart. I ask, because the children are obviously getting exactly a year older with each season. Is that consistent with the timeline in the books? Arya and Bran especially are obviously going to noticeably age as the series progresses (assuming they don't get killed off of course :lol: ).

It seems to be taking place over several years. The device of having seasons last for more than a few months is a good way to keep the timeline vague, however.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 pm
Cinematographer

Things continue to move along quite nicely in the latest episode, Kissed By Fire. My thoughts after watching it:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Yes, the Red Wedding will in fact be happening this season, as the scene with Robb and Talisa discussing how he will retake the North has pretty much slapped those of us who've read the books in the face with. When I saw the titles of the episodes forthcoming, that was the main clue, as the upcoming episode The Rains of Castamere is where I see it happening.
- I laughed pretty freaking hard at the final scene when watching the smirk on Cersei's face getting wiped off after Lord Tywin orders her to marry Ser Loras (no Willas Tyrell, I guess). Lena Headey carried off the performance well of a bitch getting hoist by her own petard. That look on Cersei's face right near the very end of the episode was utterly priceless.
- It was certainly an interesting way that the writers came up with as to how Littlefinger was able to learn about the plan to marry Sansa into the Tyrell family. The scene with him and Sansa later was brilliant in highlighting how much she has to learn about playing the game, as she clearly has no idea how he's fucked her (figuratively).
- Both of the actresses playing Ygritte and Brienne have fairly nice bodies, on a non-story related note.
- The scene with Stannis and Shireen was a nice way to give his character more in the way of humanity and likely is to help set up his decision to aid the Night's Watch at the The Wall later, not to mention not having Ser Davos killed.
- Mr Coster-Waldau's performance in the bath scene with Jaime and Brienne was good stuff. I noticed the changes to the story Ser Jaime tells the Maid of Tarth as a way to more clearly explain to an audience that hasn't necessarily read the books why he decided to earn his moniker.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 am
Cinematographer

My thoughts after watching The Climb (episode 6) tonight:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Getting rid of a minor character in a way that highlights how much of an asshole (with overtones of being a serial killer) Joffrey is was a nice touch with regards to the exit of Ros (Esme Bianco). It also puts more emphasis on the role Littlefinger has played in orchestrating the events that have encompassed the entire series. Although it hasn't happened yet in the books and by extension the series, I am looking forward to seeing Littlefinger getting his overdue comeuppance.
- For the first time in a while, I've come across a change from the books that I don't think was an improvement with regards to Sansa's impending marriage to Tyrion. In the books, it came as a surprise, as Sansa was dressed up and then forced into a shotgun style quick wedding to our favorite Imp, basically a turn that showed how not being able to keep one's mouth shut could be a liability. Having her being told beforehand and then shown crying doesn't quite have the same impact for me.
- Jon got to climb a wall, which was interesting for me only for helping to establish the relationship with Ygritte that he is going to be ending in a rather emphatic way later in the series (re: putting an arrow between her breasts).
- The exchange between Olenna and Lord Tywin was one of the best scenes of dialogue in the series for me, and it's an example of a change from the books that is a definite improvement. While I wish that Garlan Tyrell hadn't been cut out, not having Willas Tyrell around is a minor change, as it seems that Loras Tyrell is the only son in that family.
- Red Wedding, here we come. It was a nice touch for them to include Lame Lothar in the negotiations scene. I also liked that the scene doesn't have any ominous overtones, which should mean that anyone who hasn't read the books should be in for the same kind of shock they experienced when Ned Stark lost his head.
- Having Melisandre meeting with Thoros and the Brotherhood Without Banners was interesting even though it never occurred in the books, at least not in ASOS. They both worship the same god whose powers have been heightened during the books, and they basically have Gendry filling the role that Edric Storm played (the royal blood that Melisandre plans to spill in order to awaken the dragons that are still on Dragonstone, according to her). Gendry fans need not worry that he's going to die, as long as they don't make a change in that regard from the books, however.
- If anyone has any doubts that The Boy having fun with Theon is in fact Ramsay Bolton/Snow, this episode should dispel them for good.

This was a slower-moving episode, but there was certainly plenty of interesting moments nonetheless.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:31 am
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
This was a slower-moving episode, but there was certainly plenty of interesting moments nonetheless.

I thought it was quite a good one. GoT is a show you watch for compelling drama, brilliant characters, and a deep complex story, not for action sequences.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
So I was counting no fewer than FOUR weddings are planned now, none of them particularly voluntary :lol: .

One thing I didn't get:
What the fuck were Lord Varys and Pycelle talking about? Obviously I missed some sort of major plot thread somewhere, 'cos that conversation flew way over my head.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I thought it was quite a good one. GoT is a show you watch for compelling drama, brilliant characters, and a deep complex story, not for action sequences.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
So I was counting no fewer than FOUR weddings are planned now, none of them particularly voluntary :lol: .

One thing I didn't get:
What the fuck were Lord Varys and Pycelle talking about? Obviously I missed some sort of major plot thread somewhere, 'cos that conversation flew way over my head.

I totally agree with regards to the quality of the show despite the lack of action sequences- in this regard, it is just like Rome, another fine HBO series and one that I recommend you check out if you haven't already done so.

As for the question you asked:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Varys and Littlefinger (not Pycelle, as he didn't appear at all this episode) were discussing how they foiled each other's plans, Varys by arranging for Sansa to marry Loras and Littlefinger by disclosing that plan to Lord Tywin who in turn arranged for Sansa to marry Tyrion along with giving Ros to Joffrey to "play with". They then went into a discussion of their motivations- Varys stated that he did it for the good of the realm (as he told Ned Stark) while Littlefinger stated that he did what he did for the sake of creating chaos. Littlefinger went on to explain that in chaos can one advance himself (calling it a "climb" in a parallel to the name of the episode). Basically, he distilled his motivation for orchestrating the events of the series: he could profit and advance himself from the turbulence that follows by playing the various factions and characters off one another. This is also what Varys alluded to two episodes ago when he told Olenna Tyrell that Littlefinger would burn the world if he could be king of the ashes. As I said, I am looking forward to seeing him get his comeuppance.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Varys and Littlefinger (not Pycelle, as he didn't appear at all this episode) were discussing how they foiled each other's plans, Varys by arranging for Sansa to marry Loras and Littlefinger by disclosing that plan to Lord Tywin who in turn arranged for Sansa to marry Tyrion along with giving Ros to Joffrey to "play with". They then went into a discussion of their motivations- Varys stated that he did it for the good of the realm (as he told Ned Stark) while Littlefinger stated that he did what he did for the sake of creating chaos. Littlefinger went on to explain that in chaos can one advance himself (calling it a "climb" in a parallel to the name of the episode). Basically, he distilled his motivation for orchestrating the events of the series: he could profit and advance himself from the turbulence that follows by playing the various factions and characters off one another. This is also what Varys alluded to two episodes ago when he told Olenna Tyrell that Littlefinger would burn the world if he could be king of the ashes. As I said, I am looking forward to seeing him get his comeuppance.

Oh I see. Yeah I meant Baelish (who actually calls him "Littlefinger" in the show?) and mixed him up with Pycelle. This show has more characters (and plot threads) than a soap opera, without the luxury of unlimited episodes. Thanks for clearing that up though. During this discussion they didn't mention any names, and I just couldn't follow what and who they were talking about.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm
Cinematographer

My thoughts after watching The Bear and the Maiden Fair last night:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Ramsay Snow is really being portrayed as one sick fucking bastard. In the books, the reader wasn't really expected to pity Theon until the fifth, but it sure looks like it is going to be happening sooner in the show.
- The only thing I wish was different about the final scene from which the title of the episode came was that Jaime toss Locke into the bear pit. That guy really needs to be killed.
- I didn't see much point in the scenes involving Tyrion and Sansa discussing their upcoming wedding with their respective companions. About the only thing I got out of it all was that Margaery is being shown to not be a maiden (virgin) before her upcoming wedding to Joffrey.
- Tywin essentially told Joffrey to get his fucking shinebox. I loved it.
- The scene with the Yunkish envoy and Dany was done fairly well, though I wish they had gotten to having her meeting with the sellsword captains as well. That is happening next episode, I guess.
- I'm starting to wonder if Robb's wife will be joining him at the Red Wedding. If she's still with him after the next episode, then we'll know that she's going to die too. However, Brynden Tully is still with them, so it's possible that he'll be escorting her back to Riverrun.
- Jon and Ygritte have it bad. It's a pity that it won't last for her.

This was another slower-moving episode with exposition, but still interesting to watch.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:14 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
My thoughts after watching The Bear and the Maiden Fair last night:
This was another slower-moving episode with exposition, but still interesting to watch.

I personally thought it was a great episode. Dany has slowly become my favourite character, and the cgi dragons are pretty well done. They're fucking fast. Dany also seems to be given the most juicy lines lately e.g.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"What happens to things that don't bend?"

I guess her over-confidence could be her eventual undoing.

Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
I personally thought it was a great episode. Dany has slowly become my favourite character, and the cgi dragons are pretty well done. They're fucking fast. Dany also seems to be given the most juicy lines lately e.g.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"What happens to things that don't bend?"

I guess her over-confidence could be her eventual undoing.

I would like to see them play up the demeanor that Dany took up when meeting with the sellsword captains at Yunkai where she kept using the line "I'm only a young girl and do not understand the ways of war, yet...." in a disarmingly smart-ass manner. Maybe it will happen in the next episode.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Cinematographer

Ok, my thoughts after watching the newest episode, Second Sons:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- One change from the books: instead of multiple sellsword companies in the service of Yunkai, they elected to have just one, and so far no Ben Plumm. I wonder if that means that Daario is the one who betrays Dany when they start filming the episodes based on A Dance With Dragons?
- Sam the Slayer!
- Joffrey the Asshole! It was a great scene with Tyrion and the boy king at the wedding feast. For that matter, the scene with Tyrion and Sansa followed by the scene after when Shae realizes that Tyrion didn't consummate the marriage were also done well.
- Gendry gets far luckier in the TV series than he ever has in the books, seriously. It was likely even worth getting leeched on the prick afterward.
- I guess there will be no subtlety in the series where it comes to the animosity between Cersei and Margaery is concerned, or between Cersei and the Tyrells in general for that matter. It was interesting that they worked the explanation behind the song "The Rains of Castamere" which had already been introduced last season, right before the next episode which will share that name.
- One thought from the previous episode: as Talisa is pregnant, I'm starting to wonder if she will in fact die at the Red Wedding after all? I'm still leaning more to the "No" side, as Brynden Tully is still with them.

This episode has helped to pick up the pace of the story a bit, as events come to a head. The next episode is the one I am really looking forward to, given a certain pivotal event that I've already alluded to is going to be taking place.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:47 am
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ok, my thoughts after watching the newest episode, Second Sons:
This episode has helped to pick up the pace of the story a bit, as events come to a head. The next episode is the one I am really looking forward to, given a certain pivotal event that I've already alluded to is going to be taking place.

I thought it was a bit of a middle of the road episode, and definitely not as good as last weeks. The scenes with Dany were the highlight (as usual), and anything with Joffrey is also consistently amusing (he will surely go down as one the most detestable characters on television).
Game of Thrones still suffers somewhat from character overload imo. A few times this episode I had the "who the hell is that guy?" moment (once was because it WAS a new character). For those not familiar with the books, you really have to pay VERY close attention to properly follow the proceedings, you need a near photographic memory for faces/names and it doesn't help that many of the characters look alike - I wonder if there such a thing as a "casual" Game of Thrones watcher?. Incidentally, the third season of Boardwalk Empire was also like this for me.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next