Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 428
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Since I made my list, there have been a few changes in numbers, but the only significant one is Peter Jackson having cracked the 10 movie threshold:

Alfred Hitchcock - 31
Steven Spielberg - 18
Woody Allen - 16
Martin Scorcese - 15
Coen Brothers - 14
Ridley Scott - 14
Clint Eastwood - 13
Tony Scott - 12
Anthony Mann - 11
John Carpenter - 11
Harald Reinl - 11
Fritz Lang - 11 (counting Die Nibelungen as two movies and having struck two movies from the list, which I am not sure about having seen)
Roman Polanski - 10
John Huston - 10
Tim Burton - 10
Oliver Stone - 10
Brian de Palma - 10
Richard Donner - 10
Stanley Kubrick - 10
John Woo - 10
Peter Jackson - 10 (counting The Lord of the Rings as three separate movies)

Notable mentions:

9 movies
Michael Mann, Howard Hawks, Werner Herzog, Billy Wilder, Wolfgang Petersen

8 movies
Michael Bay, Sam Raimi, David Fincher, Francis Ford Coppola, Robert Zemeckis, George A. Romero, Terry Gilliam (not counting the Python Films), John McTiernan, Roland Emmerich, Peter Hyams, Blake Edwards


Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
This list is still incomplete regarding directors. I know I have a lot of catching up to do before I can call myself a true film buff (or is it connaisseur?).

Anyway, here is my first list (more complete soon to come). I took the liberty including four important directors of which I watched less than 10 movies (this thread helped me find my weak spots and do something about it - thanks Jimmy K. !):

Here we go - I only included movies (theatrical releases only) which I really saw at least once with full attention all the way through:

A. Hitchcock (25): The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Suspicion, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train, I Confess, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, The Trouble with Harry, The Man who knew too Much, The Wrong Man, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, Family Plot.

S. Spielberg (21): The Sugarland Express, Jaws, Close Encounters, 1941, Raiders, Indy 2, Indy 3, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Always, Hook, Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, Munich, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, A.I., Minority Report, Indy 4, Adventures of TinTin.

Ridley Scott (12): Alien, Blade Runner (all versions), Legend, Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, 1492 Conquest..., Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven, Prometheus.

Clint Eastwood (12): Bronco Billy, Honkytonk Man, Sudden Impact, Pale Rider, Unforgiven, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, Space Cowboys, Mystic River, Million Dollar baby, Flags of our Fathers, Gran Torino.,

M. Scorsese (11): Taxi Driver, New York New York, The Color of Money, Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Casino, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo.

Brian DePalma (11): Sisters, Obsession, Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, Mission: Impossible, Snake Eyes, Mission to Mars, The Black Dahlia.

Robert Zemeckis (10): Romancing the Stone, Back to the Future, W. F. Roger Rabbit, Back TTF 2, Back TTF 3, Death becomes her, Forrest Gump, Contact, Cast Away, The Polar Express.

Ron Howard (10): Night Shift, Splash, Cocoon, Willow, Parenthood, Backdraft, Far and Away, Apollo 13, Ransom, The DaVinci Code.
...........................
Mel Brooks (9): The Producers, The Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History of the World, Spaceballs, Robin Hood - Men in Tights.

Stanley Kubrick (9): Lolita, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001…, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut.

Fr. Ford Coppola (9): The Godfather, The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now, The Cotton Club, Peggy Sue got Married, Gardens of Stone, Tucker, The Godfather III, Dracula.

Woody Allen (6): Bananas, Everything you always wanted...:, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Sweet and Lowdown, Match Point, Midnight in Paris.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Threeperf35 wrote:
This list is still incomplete regarding directors. I know I have a lot of catching up to do before I can call myself a true film buff (or is it connaisseur?).

Anyway, here is my first list (more complete soon to come). I took the liberty including four important directors of which I watched less than 10 movies (this thread helped me find my weak spots and do something about it - thanks Jimmy K. !):

Here we go - I only included movies (theatrical releases only) which I really saw at least once with full attention all the way through:

A. Hitchcock (25): The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Suspicion, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train, I Confess, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, The Trouble with Harry, The Man who knew too Much, The Wrong Man, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, Family Plot.

S. Spielberg (21): The Sugarland Express, Jaws, Close Encounters, 1941, Raiders, Indy 2, Indy 3, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Always, Hook, Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, Munich, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, A.I., Minority Report, Indy 4, Adventures of TinTin.

Ridley Scott (12): Alien, Blade Runner (all versions), Legend, Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, 1492 Conquest..., Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven, Prometheus.

Clint Eastwood (12): Bronco Billy, Honkytonk Man, Sudden Impact, Pale Rider, Unforgiven, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, Space Cowboys, Mystic River, Million Dollar baby, Flags of our Fathers, Gran Torino.,

M. Scorsese (11): Taxi Driver, New York New York, The Color of Money, Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Casino, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo.

Brian DePalma (11): Sisters, Obsession, Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, Mission: Impossible, Snake Eyes, Mission to Mars, The Black Dahlia.

Robert Zemeckis (10): Romancing the Stone, Back to the Future, W. F. Roger Rabbit, Back TTF 2, Back TTF 3, Death becomes her, Forrest Gump, Contact, Cast Away, The Polar Express.

Ron Howard (10): Night Shift, Splash, Cocoon, Willow, Parenthood, Backdraft, Far and Away, Apollo 13, Ransom, The DaVinci Code.
...........................
Mel Brooks (9): The Producers, The Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History of the World, Spaceballs, Robin Hood - Men in Tights.

Stanley Kubrick (9): Lolita, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001…, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut.

Fr. Ford Coppola (9): The Godfather, The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now, The Cotton Club, Peggy Sue got Married, Gardens of Stone, Tucker, The Godfather III, Dracula.

Woody Allen (6): Bananas, Everything you always wanted...:, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Sweet and Lowdown, Match Point, Midnight in Paris.


Glad to hear it's motivating you. Meanwhile I was forced to realize, on account of this list, that I had seen NINE films by Chris Columbus

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2102
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Lang's caught up with Scorsese with 15 each, thanks to Fury and the Joan Bennett Film Festival (Man Hunt, The Woman in the Window and Scarlet Street). Her fourth Lang. The Secret Beyond the Door, is hard to find and apparently not as good.

Hitchcock's next in sight with 18, but I may have to check out Sabotage so I can stop confusing it with Saboteur.

EDIT: And now Lang's passed Scorsese.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2102
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Bringing it up to date
23 Steven Spielberg (24 if you count Duel)
23 Woody Allen (including What's Up Tiger Lily?)
19 Alfred Hitchcock
Fritz Lang (counting "Die Niebelungen" as two movies)
17 Martin Scorsese (counting "No Direction Home")
13 Joel & Ethan Coen (+.05 for their section of Paris Je T'Aime)
Tim Burton
Blake Edwards
Akira Kurosawa
Ridley Scott
Robert Zemeckis
12 Clint Eastwood
Buster Keaton
Ernst Lubitsch
11 Ron Howard
George Cukor
Howard Hawks
Hayao Miyazaki
10 John Ford
F. W. Murnau
Herbert Ross
William Wellman
Billy Wilder

George Cukor's the new addition with Camille. I'm not counting his brief stint on The Wizard of Oz since he didn't shoot any scenes.
(6/21/13) Add David Copperfield for Cukor.
(7/18/13) Add The Bad Sleep Well for Kurosawa (7/19/13) Add Sanshiro Sugata.
(10/26/13) Add Human Desire and (12/24) The Return of Frank James to Lang.
(11/24/13) And Manhattan Murder Mystery for Woody Allen.
Add (12/30/13) The Wolf of Wall Street and (12/31/13 - 1/2/14) No Direction Home for Scorsese. The latter was actually shown on TV but it feels like a regular release and I'm sure it's been shown that way. I'm counting it as one long movie presented in two parts.
(2/28/14) Add "The Wind Rises" for Hayao Miyazaki.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Last edited by Syd Henderson on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 am, edited 12 times in total.



Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1298
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Syd Henderson wrote:
Bringing it up to date
23 Steven Spielberg (24 if you count Duel)

Considering "Duel" did get a theatrical release in parts of Europe, I'd say it definitely counts.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
That's a rather academic distinction if you ask me.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Ken wrote:
That's a rather academic distinction if you ask me.


Duel's a movie as far as I'm concerned.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1481
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Quote:
The Secret Beyond the Door, is hard to find and apparently not as good.


you can watch it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4-fMo08lk


Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 775
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Thief12 wrote:
Steven Spielberg (18)
Martin Scorsese (10)
Clint Eastwood (10)
Coen Bros. (10)
Oliver Stone (10)
Steven Soderbergh (10)
Richard Donner (10)

A lot of 9's and 8's, but more than 10? just those, that I can think of.


Well, I've watched several Hitchcock's, so that bumps him into the 10+ group for me.

Alfred Hitchcock (12): The Lodger, The Ring, Easy Virtue, The Manxman, Suspicion, Rope, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Thief12 wrote:


Well, I've watched several Hitchcock's, so that bumps him into the 10+ group for me.


We don't abuse apostrophes around these parts, pardner

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 428
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Some time has passed since I last posted in this thread. The numbers have changed a little again:

Alfred Hitchcock - 31
Steven Spielberg - 18
Woody Allen - 16
Martin Scorsese - 16
Coen Brothers - 14
Ridley Scott - 14
Tony Scott - 14
Clint Eastwood - 13
Anthony Mann - 11
John Carpenter - 11
Harald Reinl - 11
Fritz Lang - 11 (counting Die Nibelungen as two movies)
Oliver Stone - 11
Roman Polanski - 10
John Huston - 10
Tim Burton - 10
Brian de Palma - 10
Richard Donner - 10
Stanley Kubrick - 10
John Woo - 10
Peter Jackson - 10 (counting The Lord of the Rings as three movies)
Sam Raimi - 10

Notable mentions:

9 movies
Michael Mann, Howard Hawks, Werner Herzog, Billy Wilder, Wolfgang Petersen

8 movies
Michael Bay, David Fincher, Francis Ford Coppola, Robert Zemeckis, George A. Romero, Terry Gilliam (not counting the Python Films), John McTiernan, Roland Emmerich, Peter Hyams, Blake Edwards, Quentin Tarantino (counting Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 as two movies), David Lynch, Wong Kar-Wai


Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:13 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr