Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 am

The MTV Movie Awards 
Cinematographer

Post The MTV Movie Awards
MTV presents the single dumbest awards show on the planet, and that includes the Grammys, the Emmys, the Oscars, the Tonys, and any awards show that has to do with country music.

This is just for fun. What are your thoughts on the nominations?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm
Auteur

Post Re: The MTV Movie Awards
I wouldn't call it the dumbest awards show, not by a mile(worst for me is the Razzies).

The noms are pretty decent, it's surprising to see Ted nominated for best picture though.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I wouldn't call it the dumbest awards show, not by a mile(worst for me is the Razzies).

The noms are pretty decent, it's surprising to see Ted nominated for best picture though.

This is the same awards show that routinely nominates Twilight movies for Best Picture. Ted is much better, even though it certainly isn't one of 2012's best film.

This year, it looks as if MTV wants to be taken seriously. Only one Twilight nom. What MTV does not realize is that no one will ever take them seriously as the arbiters of great cinema.

Last edited by Sean on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm
Director

MTV Is a joke. They lost me when they forgot that the M stood for music.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

This is the same awards show that routinely nominates Twilight movies for Best Picture. Ted is much better, even though it certainly isn't one of 2012's best film.

This year, it looks as if MTV wants to be taken seriously. Only one Twilight nom. What MTV does not realize is that no one will even take them seriously as the arbiters of great cinema.

I forgot about them nominating Twilight, still better then the Razzies though.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 pm
Producer

This year's crop of nominees though ain't too bad. Surprisingly, Twilight got, I believe just 1 nomination.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 am
Producer

MTV is absolutely brilliant. Back in the day, they convinced people that 24 hours per day of glorified commercials for new music releases were as much a form of entertainment as music itself--that it was hip to watch nothing but advertisements being promoted as content.

Now that they have actual content (as abominable as it is), they have people convinced that back in the day was a golden age. Not only do they have people wishing for less content and more advertisements, but whenever they deliver anything that purports to recapture the programming of that time period, even for just an hour-long block, viewers jump on it like a dog running for dinner scraps and proclaim how great it is.

Imagine any other network or form of entertainment getting away with this.

A version of HBO that only shows movie trailers, 24/7. A TV channel that only shows commercials for new TV shows. Hell, a channel that's nothing but pretty celebrities reading the back covers of new books. It's almost absurd. MTV was the ultimate corporate racket, because they never forced anyone to sit through ads to get to the shows. They were like Tom Sawyer getting the other kids to paint the fence.

The MTV Awards is about as close as MTV is going to get to recapturing this glorious era of 24 hour corporate paid programming.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:30 am
Director

Ken wrote:
MTV is absolutely brilliant. Back in the day, they convinced people that 24 hours per day of glorified commercials for new music releases were as much a form of entertainment as music itself--that it was hip to watch nothing but advertisements being promoted as content.

And in the process may have done more damage to music than anything else in history.

The first music video I saw was the one for Dire Straits Money For Nothing. The video was one of the defining ones of music videos yet the song mocked the hell out of the form.

While I may have watched MTV back in the 80s and 90s and did more or less jump ship when they dropped entertaining vacuosness for non-entertaining vacuosness I think I always more or less realized it was always primarily style over substance. It was until later that I realized that it damn near killed music as a legitimate art-form by making it almost mandatory that style be as important if not moreso than substance. And MTV in some ways pioneered the reality TV shows that clutter TV nowadays and set the stage for American Idol, a crime they will have to answer for on judgment day.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 am
Second Unit Director

I don’t know if you consider radio to be active advertisement for music sales, or if you yell at kids to get off your lawn, but there was a time when MTV was the newest, freshest medium available. It gave another dimension to music and allowed the listener to see the performer without going to a concert. Not only did it open doors of expression for the artists and allow them to tell a tale, perhaps offering a window into WTF they were thinking when they came up with the song, It created a new category of filmmaker. I’m not sure of how many current directors cut their teeth on music videos, but I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the influence they’ve had on what we watch today.
As far as a new awards show, there almost as many out there as there are popularity ratings/lists. I see this awards show as a people’s choice award for the MTV viewing market. Compare this to, say, the IMDB top XXX list. It is a compilation of current popularity rankings based on the feedback of those people who would go to their website and vote. It is why you see Citizen Kane at the top of one list and Dark Night at the top of another. I won’t disparage their list or awards show (well, in my head I will) but I will say I’m not a target demographic.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ken wrote:

And in the process may have done more damage to music than anything else in history.

The first music video I saw was the one for Dire Straits Money For Nothing. The video was one of the defining ones of music videos yet the song mocked the hell out of the form.

While I may have watched MTV back in the 80s and 90s and did more or less jump ship when they dropped entertaining vacuosness for non-entertaining vacuosness I think I always more or less realized it was always primarily style over substance. It was until later that I realized that it damn near killed music as a legitimate art-form by making it almost mandatory that style be as important if not moreso than substance. And MTV in some ways pioneered the reality TV shows that clutter TV nowadays and set the stage for American Idol, a crime they will have to answer for on judgment day.

Well I dunno if i'd go that far, COPS was actually what started the reality show craze I believe. Like it or not, MTV did help a lot of artists get exposure that they otherwise may have never had.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ken wrote:

Well I dunno if i'd go that far, COPS was actually what started the reality show craze I believe. Like it or not, MTV did help a lot of artists get exposure that they otherwise may have never had.

If you want to get technical, Candid Camera was the birth of reality TV. The Big Brother series brought the format to homes like Ford brought cars.

The performers on MTV also had greater latitude to do performances they couldn't replicate in a live concert or studio audience-type setting. With overdubbing and one musican playing several instruments in a piece, the only way you could "see" many of these performances.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 pm
Producer

Awf Hand wrote:
I don’t know if you consider radio to be active advertisement for music sales,
It is, but much of that is the result of radio losing its place as our primary medium of experiencing art and entertainment.

Quote:
or if you yell at kids to get off your lawn,
The things I yell at the kids who trespass on my property are neither here nor there.

Quote:
but there was a time when MTV was the newest, freshest medium available. It gave another dimension to music and allowed the listener to see the performer without going to a concert.
Television programmers prior to MTV were not utterly without vision. They realized the potential for bringing musical programming to the viewers. There were numerous television shows that featured live performers, including The Ed Sullivan Show and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. There were also movies of full-length live concerts, many of which had theatrical runs. MTV's contribution to performance-oriented televised music was the removal of the live element, the introduction of lip-synching to the studio cut (or at least the removal of the stigma of doing so), and allowing us a slow-motion close-up of David Lee Roth's groin during his famous high kicks.

Quote:
Not only did it open doors of expression for the artists and allow them to tell a tale, perhaps offering a window into WTF they were thinking when they came up with the song,
I would wager that for every music video that actually accomplished these purposes, there's a dozen where it's a woman being sprayed with a firehose filled with whipped cream or some guy with spandex and gigantic hair playing a grand piano on a beach. I will also remind you that the fact that a video might have narrative or insight into behavior does not change whether or not that video effectively functions as a television commercial.

Quote:
It created a new category of filmmaker. I’m not sure of how many current directors cut their teeth on music videos, but I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the influence they’ve had on what we watch today.
A lot of today's directors cut their teeth on television commercials. The influence, such as it is, is largely the same.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 pm
Cinematographer

I will only watch the MTV Movie Awards to see what the new teaser for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire looks like. It's always good to be ahead of the next crazy teen craze.

Honestly, though. Some of these categories are borderline insipid. Jamie Foxx for Best Actor? Foxx gave a fine performance in Django Unchained, but it wasn't on the same level as, say, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, or even Samuel L. Jackson. The same goes for Ben Affleck. Great director, "meh" actor.

Say what you will about the Oscars, but the MTV Movie Awards honestly make them look credible.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
I will only watch the MTV Movie Awards to see what the new teaser for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire looks like. It's always good to be ahead of the next crazy teen craze.

Honestly, though. Some of these categories are borderline insipid. Jamie Foxx for Best Actor? Foxx gave a fine performance in Django Unchained, but it wasn't on the same level as, say, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, or even Samuel L. Jackson. The same goes for Ben Affleck. Great director, "meh" actor.

Say what you will about the Oscars, but the MTV Movie Awards honestly make them look credible.

It's not like the MTV Movie Awards always had a reputation of being the People's movie award show....oh wait

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Quote:
It created a new category of filmmaker. I’m not sure of how many current directors cut their teeth on music videos, but I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the influence they’ve had on what we watch today.

A lot of today's directors cut their teeth on television commercials. The influence, such as it is, is largely the same.

It varies. On one hand you have David Fincher, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, The Hughes Brothers and a few others. Those guys understand how to tell a story. They used music videos as a way of honing their skills while finding their voices.

On the other hand, there are many directors who come from music videos and commercials and many of them qualify for the label of "Best second unit director in America". To quote Karyn Kusama:

Quote:
The problem with music videos is that first and foremost you're working in an environment where you're selling a product, ultimately. And I think that gets problematic because, with my brief experience in the studio system, it's so important to insulate yourself from those concerns. And if you know from the beginning that you can't insulate yourself, it infects you.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ken wrote:
Quote:

It varies. On one hand you have David Fincher, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, The Hughes Brothers and a few others. Those guys understand how to tell a story. They used music videos as a way of honing their skills while finding their voices.

On the other hand, there are many directors who come from music videos and commercials and many of them qualify for the label of "Best second unit director in America". To quote Karyn Kusama:

I still think this is being simplistic and cynical. By extension, wouldn't the viewing of anything you can buy be an advertisement for that product or artwork? I mean until you actually own it, you're just being manipulated to buy it right?

Quote:
The problem with music videos is that first and foremost you're working in an environment where you're selling a product, ultimately. And I think that gets problematic because, with my brief experience in the studio system, it's so important to insulate yourself from those concerns. And if you know from the beginning that you can't insulate yourself, it infects you.

The difference that I'm seeing is product vs promotion. I had always viewed music videos as a product and wasn't induced to buy anything any more than I would be via radio -if anything, moreso influenced to buy after radio play, as it was only the sound. At the time when MTV was running videos, there was no way you own the video, only the music and the music detached from the video was only part of the product.
Ultimately, marketers want you to buy everything and anything they sell. Under this model, people who purchase tatoos are walking advertisements for an artist or shop, and haven't bought a "product".

So what is product and what is promotion?

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 am
Director

Worth reading is a book called I Want My MTV. It details the first ten years of MTV, and is amazingly informative.

The early days of MTV were excellent. Some of the videos were very innovative, and the channel did do a lot to help the popularity of New Wave in the United States. Keeping in mind that the first real music videos were made in the 1950s, that the format managed to go so long without being commercialized is what is astounding.

MTV started to go downhill when Viacom bought it. That's when it became the cliched hair band and tits channel. But before then...I liked it a lot.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:32 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Worth reading is a book called I Want My MTV. It details the first ten years of MTV, and is amazingly informative.

The early days of MTV were excellent. Some of the videos were very innovative, and the channel did do a lot to help the popularity of New Wave in the United States. Keeping in mind that the first real music videos were made in the 1950s, that the format managed to go so long without being commercialized is what is astounding.

MTV started to go downhill when Viacom bought it. That's when it became the cliched hair band and tits channel. But before then...I liked it a lot.

I'll freely admit to loving hair metal bands. For most people, the downfall of MTV was when they abruptly cancelled Headbanger's Ball for no apparent reason.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:37 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
MTV Is a joke. They lost me when they forgot that the M stood for music.

Granted, if you think about it, music videos were always kind of a gimmick anyways. Still, they were more watchable than the shit they air now. :|

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I'll freely admit to loving hair metal bands. For most people, the downfall of MTV was when they abruptly cancelled Headbanger's Ball for no apparent reason.

So Riki Rachman agreeing with fans that the current state of metal in the early 90's was absolute crap and accidentally sending a letter to the fan saying that to a MTV Exec which angered them isn't a good reason?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:02 am