Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Oblivion (2013) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Oblivion (2013)
AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:
at he least he dosen't play the same character in every single film like Johnny Depp has seemingly been doing for the past 15 years or so,

Hahahaa. I know Depp has a habit of playing a certain kind of character. But I think you might just

perhaps

I don't know

be exaggerating

just a smidge
maybe?

:shock:
Captain Jack Sparrow, Sweeney Todd, Willy Wonka, Voice of Rango, John Dillinger, Mad Hatter, Blow, Imaginarium, Fear and Loathing... Sounding pretty typecast to me. :roll:

Back on topic, why the April release for Oblivion? If this is on mar with Minority Report, shouldn't it deserve a bigger weekend for release?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am
Cinematographer

Awf Hand wrote:
Back on topic, why the April release for Oblivion? If this is on mar with Minority Report, shouldn't it deserve a bigger weekend for release?

My guess would be in order to avoid direct competition with the slew of other sci-fi/action films, not to mention other blockbusters, being released later in the summer. May has Star Trek (and Iron Man 3 to a lesser extent), June has After Earth (and Man of Steel and World War Z to lesser extents), July has Pacific Rim (and The Wolverine), and early August (late August is traditionally another studio dumping ground) has Elysium.

The mid April release date seems like a way to separate it from the usually poor January-March releases and to give it a head start on the blockbuster season. The hope is probably that folks excited for those other sci-fi movies will go see it to get an early fix.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 am
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:
at he least he dosen't play the same character in every single film like Johnny Depp has seemingly been doing for the past 15 years or so,

Hahahaa. I know Depp has a habit of playing a certain kind of character. But I think you might just

perhaps

I don't know

be exaggerating

just a smidge
maybe?

Captain Jack Sparrow, Sweeney Todd, Willy Wonka, Voice of Rango, John Dillinger, Mad Hatter, Blow, Imaginarium, Fear and Loathing... Sounding pretty typecast to me. :roll:

It was originally supposed to come out on June 10th, but it got moved up to April precisely because the studio has so much confidence in it, essentially they want the film to kick off the summer season early.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 pm
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:

perhaps

I don't know

be exaggerating

just a smidge
maybe?

Well I didn't say he was typecast, just that he seems to approach every character he plays almost exactly the same way, honestly I don't see much differences between his characters in Pirates, Alice or Dark Shadows, it just feels like he's going through the motions.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
It was originally supposed to come out on June 10th, but it got moved up to April precisely because the studio has so much confidence in it, essentially they want the film to kick off the summer season early.

Do you have a source for that?

PeachyPete wrote:
The mid April release date seems like a way to separate it from the usually poor January-March releases and to give it a head start on the blockbuster season. The hope is probably that folks excited for those other sci-fi movies will go see it to get an early fix

Because this seems right to me. Tom Cruise doesn't sell a movie anymore on his own. I think they're smart to put it there so it doesn't get buried under the other films Petey mentioned, but I don't see any reason to believe they're confident in it... if so, why not put it May 10th (Great Gatsby, Peeples) or May 31st (The Purge)? Truth is they're not confident at all and they know they'll get buried under the repeat-business of the bigger films once they're out. Some early good word-of-mouth is their only chance.

Also, while I agree that Depp has played the same character for most of the past decade or so, isn't Vex an avowed Jason Statham fan? Talk about a one-note actor.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Do you have a source for that?

PeachyPete wrote:
The mid April release date seems like a way to separate it from the usually poor January-March releases and to give it a head start on the blockbuster season. The hope is probably that folks excited for those other sci-fi movies will go see it to get an early fix

Because this seems right to me. Tom Cruise doesn't sell a movie anymore on his own. I think they're smart to put it there so it doesn't get buried under the other films Petey mentioned, but I don't see any reason to believe they're confident in it... if so, why not put it May 10th (Great Gatsby, Peeples) or May 31st (The Purge)? Truth is they're not confident at all and they know they'll get buried under the repeat-business of the bigger films once they're out. Some early good word-of-mouth is their only chance.

Also, while I agree that Depp has played the same character for most of the past decade or so, isn't Vex an avowed Jason Statham fan? Talk about a one-note actor.

His performances in The Bank Job, Blitz and London say otherwise, for me the difference with Statham is that he has played that type of role from the very beginning of his career, so we don't know for sure if he ISN'T capable of playing broader roles, he just dosen't usually seek them out, I don't have a problem with an actor playing similar roles as long as they do it well, which Statham does IMO. Depp annoys me because he showed so much promise and now he just seems to be content to put in the bare minimum of effort, knowing audiences will eat it up, my problem with Depp isn't just that he plays very similar characters, my problem is that he does not do it well, I find most of his characters to be very dull and one-dimensional, Jack Sparrow in particular, there's nothing funny or entertaining about him, he's just an annoying druken idiot.

here's the source BTW:http://www.slashfilm.com/joseph-kosinskis-tom-cruise-vehicle-oblivion-moves-april-2013/ I don't think the studios are "worried" about the film at all.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
here's the source BTW

Nothing there says they moved it "precisely because the studio has so much confidence in it." That's a huge inference being made -- it could very well be the opposite, that it sucks and that they're just hoping to replicate what Fast Five did.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm
Director

Quote:
Tom Cruise's new sci-fi actioner Oblivion debuted in most of the world outside of North America this weekend and delivered strong results with an estimated $61.1M from 7,444 theaters in 52 international markets, ranking number one in 48 of them. Leading the way were Russia with $8.6M (a new career record for Cruise), the United Kingdom with $7.9M, and Korea with $4.1M. The futuristic thriller invades North America and seven overseas markets next weekend and is expected to rule the domestic box office.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm
Gaffer

I (that is me, Ed...I sometimes post here about basketball) just came back from seeing this. It's worth a look, but it's nothing I'd rush out to see. Unfortunately the film has very few, if any, original ideas. It borrows liberally from a bunch of science fiction movies and has much in common with 2001, Alien, The Matrix, Independence Day, Moon etc (not to say that all of these are wholly original to begin with). Honestly, I think this would have been a better picture with another lead actor. Some of the early scenes in particular feel like they've been tweaked to turn this into more of a Tom Cruise star vehicle.

Which does not make this a bad picture. There's a thoughtful film inside here...somewhere and it's actually less action-heavy than I anticipated. In fact, the Tom Cruisey first half is pretty damn good. So the visuals are pretty (sometimes really), the sound is good, the story is occasionally engaging and Tom Cruise runs (when does he not?).

I'd still recommend it for sci-fi fans though. There's enough to keep you interested.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 pm