Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 pm

The New RogerEbert.com 
Cinematographer

Post The New RogerEbert.com
I kind of loved the old look of the site. The new format is a tad bit too neat for my taste. There was something really awe-inspiring about the simplicity of the old version of RogerEbert.com. Everything now looks too neat and in its place.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: The New RogerEbert.com
I think whenever there are major changes to a well-established site, there's always going to be a little period of re-adjustment. With that said, however, I love the new look, and it seems to have made some major improvements to the old version. The "In Memorium" section is incredible by itself, but the search options have also been greatly improved. For example, I tried searching for Solaris, and it brought up both Ebert's original and Great Movies reviews of the Tarkovsky version, as well as his thoughts on the Soderbergh remake, all in the blink of an eye and with pictures to clearly delineate between the different articles. That alone is a dramatic improvement over the old site.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I was just on there looking to see if he had a review of Les Diaboliques. It took a couple of tries, but I looked up all his reviews of films from the early fifties, and found it and a couple of other films I've seen recently.

There are some errors when you pull up the zero star films. It looks like films where the star rating is missing also come up. He certainly didn't give "The Rundown" a zero-star rating; he loved it and gave it ***1/2 and was pushing the Rock as Schwarzenegger's successor. Apparently the review is just not up yet. I doubt he gave "Let's Do It Again" or Paul Mazursky's "Tempest" zero stars either.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm
Second Unit Director

I didn't like the old site too much. It used colors that were not to my liking, and the font size was very small for modern widescreen monitors. The new site fixes both those issues. I love black on white. It's the golden standard for a reason: it quite simply works and is an absolute joy to read. The 16px font size is fast becoming the standard for content based websites. Monitors are not going to grow smaller and smaller sizes just make the readers squint a lot harder. (James B and David Bordwell both use 16px as well.) The font size is also dynamic based on screen resolution which is a great design choice. On my office monitor, it comes to 13/14px, whereas at home it is 16px. Perfect! Plus, I love the thumbnails accompanying the review. It is a largely superficial detail but is great to look at.

The new site also gets mobile versions which was a complaint I had with the old site. Now I can devour Ebert's old reviews and any new content the other people come up with from anywhere. Search Indexing also seems to be a lot better in the newer site. There's demarcation by author name which was the plan obviously. It also searches the entire website including Scanners plus whatever other blogs that are going to come up in the future. I am not sure about the purpose of The Ebert Club right now. Without Ebert himself, I will wait and see what the rest of the folks do to make it special.

There are still a lot of quirks and oddities to be ironed out, as Syd Henderson pointed out. But that's always the case with any website re-design. I also would prefer the paragraphs to be spaced out a little better. As it is right now, they're a bit too close right now which makes the flow of reading a lot harder. But still, I love the new look.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

I liked the old site better, it looked more compact and succinct, the new one isn't bad, but it looks too generic for my taste.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 am