Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:22 am

Oblivion (2013) 
Cinematographer

Post Oblivion (2013)
So, what do you think this one is going to be about?

I have always been of the mindset that Tom Cruise is a gifted, albeit lazy actor. Still, this looks like a really compelling sci-fi movie. I might be wrong, but I am kind of looking forward to it.

Anyone else care to share? :D

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:35 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Oblivion (2013)
I wouldn't call him lazy(though one actor who I do think has gotten lazy over the past decade or so is Johnny Depp), anyways this film looks a pretty good sci-fi romp.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
I have always been of the mindset that Tom Cruise is a gifted, albeit lazy actor.

I actually have a tremendous amount of respect for the effort Tom Cruise puts into ALL his roles. The guy gives it everything, even in the action movies he does just to earn a paycheck.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:15 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Sean wrote:
I have always been of the mindset that Tom Cruise is a gifted, albeit lazy actor.

I actually have a tremendous amount of respect for the effort Tom Cruise puts into ALL his roles. The guy gives it everything, even in the action movies he does just to earn a paycheck.

Agreed, even in lousy films like Vanilla Sky, I can't help but admire his acting.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm
Director

I agree. Tom Cruise is a gifted actor. I wish he would take on more serious, dramatic projects, because he has proven he can play those roles very, very well.

And Vex, no actor frustrates me more than Johnny Depp. He is IMMENSELY talented. But he pisses it away on dopey movies.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I agree. Tom Cruise is a gifted actor. I wish he would take on more serious, dramatic projects, because he has proven he can play those roles very, very well.

And Vex, no actor frustrates me more than Johnny Depp. He is IMMENSELY talented. But he pisses it away on dopey movies.

Too bad audiences are eating it up, Lone Ranger looks to be more of the same crap, the last film of his that I actually liked was The Tourist, and that had more to do with Jolie(I like almost everything she's done) then it did with Depp.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ha. The Tourist.

Yeah. Thank god he made that.

I admit I haven't bothered to check out Oblivion, but the advertisements basically being:

TOM CRUISE

Dressed in white, holding a gun.

Starring in a movie

Called Oblivion.

Just kind of make me shrug. Is it about the problems that arise from cleaning white futuristic clothing/armour in a post-apocalyptic world? Who knows? Probably somebody. Not me though.

Maybe this is the sequel to Jack Reacher, where the world has gone to crap. But he hasn’t aged, due to aliens that killed his family but cursed him with eternal life. What he doesn’t know is that he’s actually an alien himself.

Yeah, that’s probably it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 am
Cinematographer

I'm mildly excited for this one despite it looking like yet another cautionary Humans Have Destroyed The Earth film. It looks like it could be the Tom Cruise action version of Wall-E, which wouldn't necessarily be an awful thing. I like Tom Cruise a lot, actually. I think he's genuinely talented and he's one of the very few huge movie stars that seems to get that he's a huge movie star. He can play a straight movie star and is able to switch into something different in a movie like Knight and Day where he's essentially playing a parody of himself. He's also shown some real acting chops early in his career and in stuff like Magnolia and Jerry McGuire.

The director made the pretty spectacular Gears of War "Mad World" commercial, but his only film is the Tron sequel. The only part I saw of that movie was the CGI young Jeff Bridges which made me laugh hysterically and turn the movie off. I really have no idea if he's a good or bad choice for the material. Hopefully he doesn't try to use a CGI version of a 20 year old Tom Cruise.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
I'm mildly excited for this one despite it looking like yet another cautionary Humans Have Destroyed The Earth film. It looks like it could be the Tom Cruise action version of Wall-E, which wouldn't necessarily be an awful thing. I like Tom Cruise a lot, actually. I think he's genuinely talented and he's one of the very few huge movie stars that seems to get that he's a huge movie star. He can play a straight movie star and is able to switch into something different in a movie like Knight and Day where he's essentially playing a parody of himself. He's also shown some real acting chops early in his career and in stuff like Magnolia and Jerry McGuire.

The director made the pretty spectacular Gears of War "Mad World" commercial, but his only film is the Tron sequel. The only part I saw of that movie was the CGI young Jeff Bridges which made me laugh hysterically and turn the movie off. I really have no idea if he's a good or bad choice for the material. Hopefully he doesn't try to use a CGI version of a 20 year old Tom Cruise.

I thought that CGI was actually pretty impressive, so I think he's a good choice.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I thought that CGI was actually pretty impressive, so I think he's a good choice.

Judging from the stringent criteria you used in nominating the next Bond director, basing whether or not a director is a good choice on how effectively he used a CGI face of an older, well known actor seems about right.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Judging from the stringent criteria you used in nominating the next Bond director, basing whether or not a director is a good choice on how effectively he used a CGI face of an older, well known actor seems about right.
He's not my first choice, but I was impressed by how he showcased the cyber world of Tron, so i'm sure he could do the same for Earth in Oblivion.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:30 pm
Director

Oblivion looks awesome. I generally lap up sci-fi, so it's easily one of my more anticipated movies of this year.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm
Cinematographer

It's not Cruise's acting that bothers me. It's the way that he tosses aside compelling roles in favor of a quick paycheck. I get that he's been out of it the past few years, given all of the tabloid-fueled vitriol directed towards him, along with all of that Scientology stuff. At the same time, I think that he could make a comeback and choose some really challenging parts. Sure, his career might be on the decline, but he could do more to actually improve his image, couldn't he?

Let's take a look at the guy's filmography these past few years. Other than the fifth Mission: Impossible and Tropic Thunder, he really hasn't impressed me. Rock of Ages was nostalgic, but insipid. Jack Reacher was uninspired and by-the-numbers. Knight & Day was one of my least favorite movies of 2010. Valkyrie was just a dull historical drama. Cruise has starred in some truly mesmerizing films: Collateral, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, The Color of Money, and Risky Business. He's also worked with a variety of great directors: Michael Mann, Stanley Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Brad Bird, Rob Reiner, Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Singer. But I just feel as if he abandons his talent half the time in favor of dumb blockbusters that do nothing for me.

Last edited by Sean on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
It's not Cruise's acting that bothers me. It's the way that he tosses aside compelling roles in favor of a quick paycheck. I get that he's been out of it the past few years, given all of the tabloid-fueled vitriol directed towards him, along with all of that Scientology stuff. At the same time, I think that he could make a comeback and choose some really challenging parts. Sure, his career might be on the decline, but he could do more to actually improve his image, couldn't he?

Let's take a look at the guy's filmography these past few years. Other than the fifth Mission: Impossible and Tropic Thunder, he really hasn't impressed me. Rock of Ages was nostalgic, but insipid. Jack Reacher was uninspired and by-the-numbers. Knight & Day was one of my least favorite movies of 2010. Valkyrie was just a dull historical drama. Cruise has starred in some truly mesmerizing films: Collateral, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, The Color of Money, and Risky Business. He's also worked with a variety of great directors: Michael Mann, Stanley Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Brad Bird, Rob Reiner, Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Singer. But I just feel as if abandons his talent half the time in favor of dumb blockbusters that do nothing for me.

Well everyone has their own definition of what "compelling" is, and for all we know Cruise finds these types of films compelling(I know I do), if I were Cruise, i'd certainly have no problem doing films like Oblivion. I enjoyed Knight And Day and Jack Reacher, didn't care much for Valkyrie, not really a fan of musicals so I wouldn't be able to properly judge something like Rock Of Ages(though I'd certainly rather sit through it then say West Side Story)

Considering how succesful Ghost Protocol and Jack Reacher were, I wouldn't say his career has been on the "decline", even if people aren't too crazy about him as a person, his films still do sell tickets pretty well.

BTW, what are some roles Crusie turned down that you saw as "compelling"?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Let's take a look at the guy's filmography these past few years. Other than the fifth Mission: Impossible and Tropic Thunder, he really hasn't impressed me. Rock of Ages was nostalgic, but insipid. Jack Reacher was uninspired and by-the-numbers. Knight & Day was one of my least favorite movies of 2010. Valkyrie was just a dull historical drama. Cruise has starred in some truly mesmerizing films: Collateral, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, The Color of Money, and Risky Business. He's also worked with a variety of great directors: Michael Mann, Stanley Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Brad Bird, Rob Reiner, Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Singer. But I just feel as if abandons his talent half the time in favor of dumb blockbusters that do nothing for me.

Well everyone has their own definition of what "compelling" is, and for all we know Cruise finds these types of films compelling(I know I do), if I were Cruise, i'd certainly have no problem doing films like Oblivion. I enjoyed Knight And Day and Jack Reacher, didn't care much for Valkyrie, not really a fan of musicals so I wouldn't be able to properly judge something like Rock Of Ages(though I'd certainly rather sit through it then say West Side Story)

Considering how succesful Ghost Protocol and Jack Reacher were, I wouldn't say his career has been on the "decline", even if people aren't too crazy about him as a person, his films still do sell tickets pretty well.

No movies come to mind. It's the fact that he goes for simplistic films over more challenging roles that bothers me.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

No movies come to mind. It's the fact that he goes for simplistic films over more challenging roles that bothers me.

If none come to mind, then how do you know he just isn't getting offers for what you'd consider to be "compelling" roles? Anyways it dosen't bother me, at he least he dosen't play the same character in every single film like Johnny Depp has seemingly been doing for the past 15 years or so, that really annoys me because Depp used to prove that was a versatile character actor, now it seems like all he does is play some variation of "crazy", Lone Ranger looks like more of the same garbage.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:50 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:

I forgot about that advertisment. That was the best video game ad I've ever seen. I used to watch it all the time, just for the chills.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

I forgot about that advertisment. That was the best video game ad I've ever seen. I used to watch it all the time, just for the chills.

I vaguely remember that, it hinted at a very different game then the one we got. For me the most stunning video game ad was the trailer for Dead Island.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
at he least he dosen't play the same character in every single film like Johnny Depp has seemingly been doing for the past 15 years or so,

Hahahaa. I know Depp has a habit of playing a certain kind of character. But I think you might just

perhaps

I don't know

be exaggerating

just a smidge

maybe?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
Vexer wrote:
at he least he dosen't play the same character in every single film like Johnny Depp has seemingly been doing for the past 15 years or so,

Hahahaa. I know Depp has a habit of playing a certain kind of character. But I think you might just

perhaps

I don't know

be exaggerating

just a smidge

maybe?
All I know is Depp has been wasting his potential since the 2000s, Dark Shadows was by far his absolute worst performance, i'm talking Robert Pattinson bad.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am