Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
RIP Roger Ebert 
Producer

Post Re: RIP Roger Ebert
sunshineisles2 wrote:
I don't know if it's just people and wishful thinking, but I heard rumors that Ebert had written a review of the new Terrence Malick film, but it hasn't been published online yet. That would be a much better ending to a wonderful career.

It's not a rumor; Jim Emerson mentions it in his obituary. He also mentions a couple of other reviews that haven't been published, but doesn't say what they are to.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:18 am
Director

Yeah, I read somewhere that To The Wonder is his last review (or one of his last reviews) that he submitted, and he gives it 3.5 stars I think. Apart from the fitting circumstance of it being a Terrence Malick film (and he really liked it), the film's title alone is just perfect and beautiful for his last review to go out on.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am
Second Unit Director

Over the past two days I've been doing nothing but reading all the great memories people have been sharing about Roger Ebert. The best ones have already been collected into one single page on RogerEbert.com. One piece, by Linda Holmnes, in particular, I found said something perfectly for me:

"There's always been Roger Ebert. And when I read that he had died Thursday, that's what caught in my throat. Not just sadness, but bafflement. I don't understand. There's always been Roger Ebert.

This will be the first night in my life I go to bed and he's not out there thinking about movies. And perhaps it's an odd description of sadness, but: It's weird.

By the time I was born, he was already a writer, and by the time I could process the idea of criticism, he already was a columnist and had a TV show with Gene Siskel — then called Sneak Previews — on public television, which I watched with my parents. There was always, always, always Roger Ebert."

That is the difficulty a lot of us are faced with right now. Long before I began watching films (or was even born), Roger Ebert was a titan in reviewing them. When I started watching films, he was there to guide me through cinephilia. When I began to consider myself a cinephile, Ebert was the one voice (along with JamesB) I always looked to read. Now suddenly, he's not there to review the next film I intend to see. It is an uneasy feeling which is going to take quite some time to get used to.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
sunshineisles2 wrote:
I don't know if it's just people and wishful thinking, but I heard rumors that Ebert had written a review of the new Terrence Malick film, but it hasn't been published online yet. That would be a much better ending to a wonderful career.

It's not a rumor; Jim Emerson mentions it in his obituary. He also mentions a couple of other reviews that haven't been published, but doesn't say what they are to.

Ah, yes, now I see. Thank god he didn't go out with "The Host"

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
"There's always been Roger Ebert. And when I read that he had died Thursday, that's what caught in my throat. Not just sadness, but bafflement. I don't understand. There's always been Roger Ebert.

This thought hit me a few hours after I heard the news, when I was driving home from work. We now live in a world without Roger Ebert. Most of us have never done with that. For movie fans, he truly did seem ever-present.

I noticed earlier that his death is one of the items in Wikipedia's front page "in the news" sidebar. That's fascinating, because Wikipedia generally doesn't include celebrity deaths in that box and keeps only a handful of major world news events in rotation. That's a cool measure of Ebert's importance.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Roger Ebert: Remaking My Voice (TED Talk)

Some of you might've seen this already, but I just came across this right now and felt I had to share it. I already had multiple lumps in my throat but watching that video definitely brought them to my eyes. Seeing Ebert and his wife Chaz in that video is a reminder of how difficult it must've been during those times, despite all of Ebert's optimism in his blogs, and how they soldiered along as a couple through them.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Alas... Roger Ebert's review of "To the Wonder"
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130406/REVIEWS/130409984

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I think his scale hit me when I read a review of Cool Hand Luke, that had actually been written by him at the time of release in 1967.

I was just assuming it was some kind of retrospect, until I saw the date stamp at the bottom.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 am
Second Unit Director

It appears that Roger Ebert will be afforded a rather high honor. One typically given to the funerals of dead soldiers. A select honor one might say.

For his progressive views on gay rights, Roger Ebert's funeral will be picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church.

Rest in peace Ebert, you obviously did well.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

thered47 wrote:
It appears that Roger Ebert will be afforded a rather high honor. One typically given to the funerals of dead soldiers. A select honor one might say.

For his progressive views on gay rights, Roger Ebert's funeral will be picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church.

Can't we just call them a hate group and move on?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm
Director

Sean wrote:
thered47 wrote:

Here's an idea. When one of them dies, let's picket their funeral with signs saying "God REALLY hates intelrant bigots".

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Sean wrote:
thered47 wrote:

Here's an idea. When one of them dies, let's picket their funeral with signs saying "God REALLY hates intelrant bigots".

I remember hearing about that one guy who was found with a bunch of weapons who had planned to murder several members of the WBC, part of me wishes that he had succeeded, cause that's one massacre I doubt too many people would be upset over.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm
Back really on topic: I think Roger Ebert had the writing skills to inform people about the background and "family tree" of a movie without ever sounding preachy or lecturing. He came up with stuff in the middle of a review such as: (non verbatim) "we don't know but we suppose that whe won't die within the next ten minutes otherwise life would be unmanageable" - just awesome. All the praise isn't enough.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm
Producer

I love his review of Sideways. He completely got it, and saw it the same way i did!

I felt like a more literate version of me had written it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 am
Director

Last word on the WBBs (Westboro Baprtist Bigots).

Attachments:
File comment: Imagine this being used as a picket sign at their funerals.
Westboro.JPG
Westboro.JPG [ 10.17 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599
Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 am
Second Unit Director

Personally I think the best way to deal with westboro would be to convince any media to at least not photograph or video tape them and have aby counter protest consist of a large number of people walk past them talking about the weather. Unfortunately the just ignore them approach would require the cooperation of too many people to really be effective.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Treat them like exactly what they are: pathetic losers whose only means of getting attention is to goad people. They're the YouTube commenters of the world. Don't assault them and don't engage them in conversation. There's nothing anybody can say or do in this regard that won't be handing them exactly what they want.

(Plus, while I can't substantiate this with evidence, I've heard that one of their primary sources of funding is lawsuit winnings from all the times their members have been physically assaulted. Let's try to avoid this.)

As Jeremy pointed out, it's asking a bit much to ask everybody to simply ignore these people, considering that they're the equivalent to drunk college students talking loudly in a library while everybody else is trying to study. If you must acknowledge them, then you must refuse to take them seriously. Furthermore, treat them as an object of satire. Drive the wind from their sails by making it so that nobody else can take them seriously either.

The best handling of any large-scale WBB picketing group that I know of occurred at San Diego Comic-Con a few years ago.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Treat them like exactly what they are: pathetic losers whose only means of getting attention is to goad people. They're the YouTube commenters of the world. Don't assault them and don't engage them in conversation. There's nothing anybody can say or do in this regard that won't be handing them exactly what they want.

(Plus, while I can't substantiate this with evidence, I've heard that one of their primary sources of funding is lawsuit winnings from all the times their members have been physically assaulted. Let's try to avoid this.)

As Jeremy pointed out, it's asking a bit much to ask everybody to simply ignore these people, considering that they're the equivalent to drunk college students talking loudly in a library while everybody else is trying to study. If you must acknowledge them, then you must refuse to take them seriously. Furthermore, treat them as an object of satire. Drive the wind from their sails by making it so that nobody else can take them seriously either.

The best handling of any large-scale WBB picketing group that I know of occurred at San Diego Comic-Con a few years ago.

True, though some Youtube commenters are actually quite intelligent, but you definitely can't say the same thing about any members of the WBC.

A more apt comparison would be commenters on gossip sites like TMZ, there's no intelligent lifeforms anywhere on there, I treat them as a complete joke, as you should do for the WBC.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

The new look site is very cool indeed: http://www.rogerebert.com/

:cry:

Anyways, I'll probably visit it a lot to check out a lot of the old stuff/Great Movies. The new writers are good and I may also read them from time to time.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I had a debate with someone on YouTube over Terrence Malick's movies. Just a few comments in, he calls me pretentious for defending his work. Typical.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next