Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604 ... 787  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Leopard (1963) 3/4
I really wanted to fall in love with this film-- its visually stunning, and contains a stellar performance by Burt Lancaster. However, with all that said, I could never fully immerse my self into this film. Its pace is slow, and its context is for those who know a bit more about history than the average viewer—and that’s not a bad thing—The Leopard just never fully captured my interest. Lancaster is trying to secure the wealth and integrity for future generations of his family, but the audience is never given reason to fully care.

Ultimately The Leopard is Burt Lancaster’s film. His presence on the screen is addicting, to the point that when the narrative focuses on other supporting characters you long for his return. However Lancaster alone can’t hold up a film that is tiring to watch, and very, very hard to care for.

Pi (1998) 3.5/4
Darren Aronofsky’s first feature is extremely ambitious, and while all the parts don’t synchronize together to a satisfying whole, I can’t get over how well this film conveys obsession and paranoia.

Indie Game: The Movie (2012) 3/4
This documentary breaks a few of my cardinal rules (do we really need political bias in a film about video games? Come on.) However its examination on the pathway to success and the overall work put into a “new age art form” is captivating.

Z (1969) 4/4
This is a film about power—a power that is held so tightly that any small uprising threatens to unravel its very fabric. Director Costa-Gavras presents a country in the early 1960’s ruled by conservative elites who are war hungry, and consider any resistance to their political ideology as a threat to their very livelihood. These elites have everyone in their pockets; they essentially control all aspects of society. So when a far left movement sprouts up out of a decaying police state, these elites quietly plan a measure to silence the movement’s leader.

Z is a beautifully crafted film—one that uses tension in its first act to unsung bounds. While Z functions as partly a thriller, its political nature and themes are what elevates this film to pure greatness. This is a film before its time; Its themes on society and government control are still relevant today, and it’s methodical mystery to unlocking the inner workings of an elite group are a joy to watch unfold. Overall, Z is a near perfect film, from its allegorical beginning to its fantastic ending—this is a film that comes highly recommended.

Big thanks to JamesKunz for the recommendation!

Last edited by JackBurns on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:

Z (1969) 4/4
This is a film about power—a power that is held so tightly that any small uprising threatens to unravel its very fabric. Director Costa-Gavras presents a country in the early 1960’s ruled by conservative elites who are war hungry, and consider any resistance to their political ideology as a threat to their very livelihood. These elites have everyone in their pockets; they essentially control all aspects of society. So when a far left movement sprouts up out of a decaying police state, these elites quietly plan a measure to silence the movement’s leader.

Z is a beautifully crafted film—one that uses tension in its first act to unsung bounds. While Z functions as partly a thriller, its political nature and themes are what elevates this film to pure greatness. This is a film before its time; Its themes on society and government control are still relevant today, and it’s methodical mystery to unlocking the inner workings of an elite group are a joy to watch unfold. Overall, Z is a near perfect film, from its allegorical beginning to its fantastic ending—this is a film that comes highly recommended.

Big thanks to JamesKunz for the recommendation!

Oh, JamesKunz is very happy right now

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh, JamesKunz is very happy right now

First 4 star film since Amour. Looking forward to your thoughts on Sugar Man.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Olympus Has Fallen (2013) - 3 out of 4

I am a huge fan of action movies that get the adrenaline in my veins pumping, where I exit the theater and immediately want to snap the neck of one of my friends next to me just to release all the pent up tension in my muscles. (Obviously, I never actually do that.) Those are the kind of action films I love, and Olympus Has Fallen is one of them. With these films, it ultimately comes down to how attached I get with the primary characters and how badly I want them to kick some ass and save the day. I got very attached to Gerard Butler's Mike Banning. (Damn what I would give to have that dude's face, physique and voice.) It has a lot to do with how the film is set up in the initial few minutes which features a nice twist. That gives some emotional weight to Banning, as much as can be expected in a film like this.

I also love high-stakes films like this one. If the action, like Die Hard, involves the lives of ordinary people, then it had better be fucking awesome, like Die Hard obviously is. With films like Air Force One and this one, a lot of the badassery is built-in because of the high-profile nature of the targets involved. It is pretty easy to get involved in an attack on the White House as exhilaratingly staged as the one in Olympus Has Fallen is. (Although I doubt it would be this easy to get into the world's most secure building, I am willing to let that one slip.) Once the attack is over and the President has been taken hostage in the bunker, we all know what is coming next, Banning kicks some Korean ass and saves the world (literally!). OHF does that in a fashion where I never got time to think about it all, like the classic refrigerator films Hitchock talked about. I was in the moment for the entire duration of the film, and that is where its success lies.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Searching for Sugar Man (2012) ***1/2

I normally try to avoid using bullshit phrases like "uplifting" or "inspirational" in my movie descriptions, but this movie moved me emotionally and so it deserves those words. I am glad that I knew nothing about the movie beyond the barest possible outline while going in, as it made the climax even more emotionally satisfying.

As with almost all great documentaries, I think more of the credit goes to the story itself than the moviemaking. However, the filmmakers here do deserve credit for the way they present the story, specifically their arguably misleading but doubtlessly effective strategy of hiding
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Rodriguez
for the first half of the film. Plus the way it expands into South African cultural history was very interesting and I was very glad for it.

All in all, terrific film. Thanks Jack Burns! Our Z for Searching for Sugar Man swap was a total winner.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

I am a huge fan of action movies that get the adrenaline in my veins pumping, where I exit the theater and immediately want to snap the neck of one of my friends next to me just to release all the pent up tension in my muscles. (Obviously, I never actually do that.) Those are the kind of action films I love, and Olympus Has Fallen is one of them. With these films, it ultimately comes down to how attached I get with the primary characters and how badly I want them to kick some ass and save the day. I got very attached to Gerard Butler's Mike Banning. (Damn what I would give to have that dude's face, physique and voice.) It has a lot to do with how the film is set up in the initial few minutes which features a nice twist. That gives some emotional weight to Banning, as much as can be expected in a film like this.

I also love high-stakes films like this one. If the action, like Die Hard, involves the lives of ordinary people, then it had better be fucking awesome, like Die Hard obviously is. With films like Air Force One and this one, a lot of the badassery is built-in because of the high-profile nature of the targets involved. It is pretty easy to get involved in an attack on the White House as exhilaratingly staged as the one in Olympus Has Fallen is. (Although I doubt it would be this easy to get into the world's most secure building, I am willing to let that one slip.) Once the attack is over and the President has been taken hostage in the bunker, we all know what is coming next, Banning kicks some Korean ass and saves the world (literally!). OHF does that in a fashion where I never got time to think about it all, like the classic refrigerator films Hitchock talked about. I was in the moment for the entire duration of the film, and that is where its success lies.

Balaji, I dont want to come across as a jerk but.........

How on earth can you give this film a 3 out of 4 stars? I understand being lenient on actions films, but not on something this absurd and outlandish. Sure this film is "action", but thats ALL it is, nothing more--a huge orgy of bullets and explosions that is just as much predictable as it is sloppy.This film contradicts its self constantly, and presents a tone of seriousness that never works (IMHO) considering the sort of action that it is presenting. Not to mention its formulaic/cliche characters and weak story line ( my favorite being
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a secret service agent who has found sympathy with the Koreans, becoming a traitor to his country simply because "he lost his way")

Speaking of presentation, how can one be immersed in a film when the effects are so terribly bad that they hardly resemble anything relatively convincing of the real world? The wide long shots of Washington DC look as if they were designed in a educational version of CAD.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 am
Auteur

JackBurns wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

How on earth can you give this film a 3 out of 4 stars? I understand being lenient on actions films, but not on something this absurd and outlandish. Sure this film is "action", but thats ALL it is, nothing more--a huge orgy of bullets and explosions that is just as much predictable as it is sloppy.This film contradicts its self constantly, and presents a tone of seriousness that never works (IMHO) considering the sort of action that it is presenting. Not to mention its formulaic/cliche characters and weak story line ( my favorite being
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a secret service agent who has found sympathy with the Koreans, becoming a traitor to his country simply because "he lost his way")

Speaking of presentation, how can one be immersed in a film when the effects are so terribly bad that they hardly resemble anything relatively convincing of the real world? The wide long shots of Washington DC look as if they were designed in a educational version of CAD.

Jeez, dude relax, it's his opinion :roll: Besides JB gave it the same rating, yet you didn't seem to have an issue with him liking it.

Yeah the film is absurd and outlandish, but so what? That's hardly a bad thing, while an invaison like that would never happen in real life, that scene was still an amazing spectacle to watch. Yeah the characters were cliche, and I was kinda groaning at the "twist" as well, but I don't need three-dimensional characters to enjoy this type of film, so that didnt really bother me too much.

I don't really see how the film "contradicted" itself and I don't think it was sloppy at all, it was predictable in some parts, but there were a few things that surprised me. I loved that was an "orgy" of explosions and violence and that it didn't get bogged down too much. Perhaps you'll like White House Down better.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 am
Second Unit Director

JackBurns wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

What can I say? I just love a lot of badassery, and Olympus Has Fallen had it in spades. Cliches/weak plots/characters are never a problem for me in action films like this one. As I said earlier, it comes down to one thing and one thing only, kicking ass. As far as presentation is concerned, I enjoyed the fact that there was no shaky cam. I was able to follow who was kicking whose ass. The one thing I will grant you is the poor GFX. This is especially visible whenever there are helicopters involved, and I did notice them, but they weren't a big turn off. However, what was mildly annoying was the darkness in some of the interior scenes. At one point, my friend turned over and inquired whether the glum dark look was actually in the film or had to do with the fact that he was hung over.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

The two most recent watches for me were on TV...

Gone in 60 Seconds Caught this last night. Pretty silly and cartoonish, but not awful, awful. Just "meh". I even dozed off for a few minutes at one climatic point when Memphis (Nicolas Cage) is trying to outchase Detective Castlebeck (Delroy Lindo). Sure, it was after 12:00am, but I don't know what that says about it :D I woke up at the right moment when he's jumping a-la Dukes the Hazzard, over a bunch of cars. Grade: C or C-

Bridge to Terabithia It's probably the 3rd or 4th time I see this, but it was on TV this morning, and I had to see it again. I just love the film. So moving and heart-warming. It manages to present its magical world, but still keeping its feet on the ground. Great performances from all the cast, including the young leads, Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb. This is one that always gets me teary-eyed and this time was no exception. Aside of a couple of clumsily executed musical montages, fully recommended. Grade: A

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeez, dude relax, it's his opinion :roll: Besides JB gave it the same rating, yet you didn't seem to have an issue with him liking it.

Yeah the film is absurd and outlandish, but so what? That's hardly a bad thing, while an invaison like that would never happen in real life, that scene was still an amazing spectacle to watch. Yeah the characters were cliche, and I was kinda groaning at the "twist" as well, but I don't need three-dimensional characters to enjoy this type of film, so that didnt really bother me too much.

I don't really see how the film "contradicted" itself and I don't think it was sloppy at all, it was predictable in some parts, but there were a few things that surprised me. I loved that was an "orgy" of explosions and violence and that it didn't get bogged down too much. Perhaps you'll like White House Down better.

Oh Thanks Vexer, I wasn't aware it was his opinion...... I have a problem with JB giving this film 3 stars as well, or anyone who would give this film a passing grade for that matter.

I'm aware that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but saying that nonsensicalness is hardly a bad thing in film doesn't sit right with me. I'm with you that characters don't need to be three dimensional or heavily developed in an action film, but that doesn't excuse it from offering absolutely no substance whatsoever. I still want elements/characters grounded in a somewhat believable reality.

As for the contradictions, there are plenty:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The narrative states through Aaron Eckhart that the United States does not negotiate with terrorists, a pretty standard-solid policy practice, yet the film instantly goes against this to further its own narrative. The viewer is led to believe that Cerberus cannot be activated without three codes each held by separate leaders within the state. These codes are of ultimate importance, yet Eckhart tells each head to give up their codes because "they will never get his!" However, when the time comes the terrorists don't even need three codes (or Eckharts for that matter) because they are smart enough to figure out the third in a manner of minutes--but somehow cannot get the video/audio feeds back up when Gerald Butler and his awesomeness shuts them down. Also the methodical master mind of this ludicrous plot against the US takes himself out of the secure bunker he has successfully isolated himself in, only to walk with Melissa Leo's character. Why would a such an ingenious fellow risk such a thing? He has henchmen, why not use them to make their Melissa Leo message? It completely goes against everything the narrative has told us about this character.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
What can I say? I just love a lot of badassery, and Olympus Has Fallen had it in spades. Cliches/weak plots/characters are never a problem for me in action films like this one. As I said earlier, it comes down to one thing and one thing only, kicking ass. As far as presentation is concerned, I enjoyed the fact that there was no shaky cam. I was able to follow who was kicking whose ass. The one thing I will grant you is the poor GFX. This is especially visible whenever there are helicopters involved, and I did notice them, but they weren't a big turn off. However, what was mildly annoying was the darkness in some of the interior scenes. At one point, my friend turned over and inquired whether the glum dark look was actually in the film or had to do with the fact that he was hung over.

I'm a fan of badassery as well, I just like mine a little more believable.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:19 pm
Auteur

JackBurns wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Oh Thanks Vexer, I wasn't aware it was his opinion...... I have a problem with JB giving this film 3 stars as well, or anyone who would give this film a passing grade for that matter.

I'm aware that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but saying that nonsensicalness is hardly a bad thing in film doesn't sit right with me. I'm with you that characters don't need to be three dimensional or heavily developed in an action film, but that doesn't excuse it from offering absolutely no substance whatsoever. I still want elements/characters grounded in a somewhat believable reality.

As for the contradictions, there are plenty:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The narrative states through Aaron Eckhart that the United States does not negotiate with terrorists, a pretty standard-solid policy practice, yet the film instantly goes against this to further its own narrative. The viewer is led to believe that Cerberus cannot be activated without three codes each held by separate leaders within the state. These codes are of ultimate importance, yet Eckhart tells each head to give up their codes because "they will never get his!" However, when the time comes the terrorists don't even need three codes (or Eckharts for that matter) because they are smart enough to figure out the third in a manner of minutes--but somehow cannot get the video/audio feeds back up when Gerald Butler and his awesomeness shuts them down. Also the methodical master mind of this ludicrous plot against the US takes himself out of the secure bunker he has successfully isolated himself in, only to walk with Melissa Leo's character. Why would a such an ingenious fellow risk such a thing? He has henchmen, why not use them to make their Melissa Leo message? It completely goes against everything the narrative has told us about this character.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

I'm a fan of badassery as well, I just like mine a little more believable.

Well you could've been a little nicer about disagreeing with him, saying you "don't mean to sound like a jerk" dosen't mean you aren't acting jerkish.

Anyways those didn't seem like contraditions to me
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The president didn't want to see those people tortured for their codes, so he ordered them to give it up, he thought the code was foolproof and didn't think of the possiblity of the enemies figuring out the code themselves so that wasn't really negotiating so much as trying to avoid people dying needlessly, and I really don't see how that was "going against it's own narrative". The thing with the video feeds didn't seem like a contradiction either, I have no idea how feeds in the White house work in real life, so I have no idea if the way the movie showed them was accurate or not.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Well you could've been a little nicer about disagreeing with him, saying you "don't mean to sound like a jerk" dosen't mean you aren't acting jerkish.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The president didn't want to see those people tortured for their codes, so he ordered them to give it up, he thought the code was foolproof and didn't think of the possiblity of the enemies figuring out the code themselves so that wasn't really negotiating so much as trying to avoid people dying needlessly, and I really don't see how that was "going against it's own narrative". The thing with the video feeds didn't seem like a contradiction either, I have no idea how feeds in the White house work in real life, so I have no idea if the way the movie showed them was accurate or not.

I'm sorry Vexer, we're all big boys here, and I assume we can all handle firm disagreement nice or not. You or Balaji are welcome to bash me anytime you'd like if you disagree with me about anything.

But lets get back to our discussion:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The President didn't want to see people tortured, yet he would risk the lives of millions of people just to save one life? That's absurd-nothing is "foolproof" especially dealing with technology, most people with a form of common sense know that. Why give people who want to massacre your whole society even a slim chance to succeed, thats definitely not in the best interest of..well.. the whole country.

Again, We're presented with people who can crack a highly encrypted code that guards the nations nuclear weapons, but they can't turn the camera's back on? Really? If that's not a contradiction or an inconsistency I don't know what is. Granted, I don't know how feeds work either, but if they are that intelligent then they can surely "turn the lights back on" so to speak.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 pm
Director

Cache

Time to go against the critical grain. I did not care for this film. We are treated to a family who is being stalked by an unknown, mysterious person. Who it is we are never quite sure. We are given hints as to a possible suspect, but the film's progression rules him out. It has been said that Cache is less about the actual stalking than the guilt a man feels over past indiscretions. That may be so, but I wish that the film had been made more interesting to watch; there are many stretches of several minutes where literally nothing happens. It made the film a tough slog for me. Maybe I'll warm up to this one, but Cache left me a little chilly.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm
Auteur

JackBurns wrote:
Vexer wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I'm sorry Vexer, we're all big boys here, and I assume we can all handle firm disagreement nice or not. You or Balaji are welcome to bash me anytime you'd like if you disagree with me about anything.

But lets get back to our discussion:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The President didn't want to see people tortured, yet he would risk the lives of millions of people just to save one life? That's absurd-nothing is "foolproof" especially dealing with technology, most people with a form of common sense know that. Why give people who want to massacre your whole society even a slim chance to succeed, thats definitely not in the best interest of..well.. the whole country.

Again, We're presented with people who can crack a highly encrypted code that guards the nations nuclear weapons, but they can't turn the camera's back on? Really? If that's not a contradiction or an inconsistency I don't know what is. Granted, I don't know how feeds work either, but if they are that intelligent then they can surely "turn the lights back on" so to speak.

Well I guess I just don't pay too much attention to details like that, os it didn't really bother me.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Cache

Time to go against the critical grain. I did not care for this film. We are treated to a family who is being stalked by an unknown, mysterious person. Who it is we are never quite sure. We are given hints as to a possible suspect, but the film's progression rules him out. It has been said that Cache is less about the actual stalking than the guilt a man feels over past indiscretions. That may be so, but I wish that the film had been made more interesting to watch; there are many stretches of several minutes where literally nothing happens. It made the film a tough slog for me. Maybe I'll warm up to this one, but Cache left me a little chilly.

I wasn't a fan of it either, I got what the film was going for, but it ultimately failed to grab my attention.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 pm
Producer

Thief12 wrote:
Bridge to Terabithia It's probably the 3rd or 4th time I see this, but it was on TV this morning, and I had to see it again. I just love the film. So moving and heart-warming. It manages to present its magical world, but still keeping its feet on the ground. Great performances from all the cast, including the young leads, Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb. This is one that always gets me teary-eyed and this time was no exception. Aside of a couple of clumsily executed musical montages, fully recommended. Grade: A

I love the film, too. The end always has me in tears. AnnaSophia Robb simply glows on camera. Her character's based on a real person, too.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

I love the film, too. The end always has me in tears. AnnaSophia Robb simply glows on camera. Her character's based on a real person, too.

*Sighs* I wanted to love the movie, as I did the book, but I thought the Fantasy-ing up the movie did no favors to a story that's simply about friendship, not fantastical creatures

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

*Sighs* I wanted to love the movie, as I did the book, but I thought the Fantasy-ing up the movie did no favors to a story that's simply about friendship, not fantastical creatures

Even not being a huge fan of the book myself, I have to agree with you. The film sort missed the mark in that regard.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

I thought it was a nice way to show the children's imagination, and a way to channel the message of keeping their "minds wide open". It's the symbolism of an "outside world" and a "bigger picture" that Jess probably wouldn't have seen, if it wasn't for Leslie. Still, I will agree that the dramatic elements of the story (Jess and Leslie's friendship, his relationship with his dad) overshadow the fantasy parts, but I see that as one of the film's strengths.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

What fantasying up? The movie is about the power of imagination.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 598, 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604 ... 787  Next