Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm

EVIL DEAD 
Producer

Post Re: EVIL DEAD
James Berardinelli wrote:
EVIL DEAD's RT score was initially inflated because of how the filmmakers cannily manipulated what reviews could and couldn't be posted early. For the most part, mainstream reviewers who didn't have a face-to-face with Fede Alvarez were embargoed until April 4. So the only ones allowed to post were those who saw it at SXSW and those who interviewed the director (who, by all accounts, is charming and passionate).

Some critics, such as the late, great Roger Ebert, would view this as a conflict of interest and refuse to review the film.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
You're sounding kind of...butthurt. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Can't we all just get along?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:33 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Some critics, such as the late, great Roger Ebert, would view this as a conflict of interest and refuse to review the film.

If only all critics had his integrity. Another of the good ones has left this world, unfortunately.

Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
You're sounding kind of...butthurt. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Can't we all just get along?

A little drama keeps this place lively. :D

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Does anyone really use the Rotten Tomatoes score to make a decision whether to go to see something or not? Do they even listen to individual reviews with any given movie? Some movies like Twilight is review and Tomato scoreproof. Then you have anomalies like the success of the terrible G.I. Joe and the total failure of the much superior Dredd that makes me think most people see trailers and ads then go yes or no. Reviews are handy if your not going to see something but still want to feel like you saw it or read afterwards to see if other people agreed with what you liked and hated.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:59 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Does anyone really use the Rotten Tomatoes score to make a decision whether to go to see something or not? Do they even listen to individual reviews with any given movie? Some movies like Twilight is review and Tomato scoreproof. Then you have anomalies like the success of the terrible G.I. Joe and the total failure of the much superior Dredd that makes me think most people see trailers and ads then go yes or no. Reviews are handy if your not going to see something but still want to feel like you saw it or read afterwards to see if other people agreed with what you liked and hated.

I sure as hell don't use RT to gauge whether or not a film is worth seeing. I see films that look appealing to me regardless of how high/low the score is.

Dredd's failure was caused by a number of things, for one thing the 3-D, while somewhat visually impressive, probably alienated some of the potential audience due to the very limited number of 2-D screenings availible, so to see the film you were pretty much forced into paying a surcharge, that combined with the increasing backlash of 3-D irritated people like myself, G.I. Joe on the other hand had plenty of 2-D screenings availible to choose from, and they were in fact at a more convenient time then the 3-D screenings. I believe if there were more 2-D screenings availible for Dredd or if it wasn't in 3-D period, that it may have succeeded more.

Another reason for it's failure is that it had the misfortune of coming out the very same week as End Of Watch, another R-rated film which stole most of Dredd's audience(releasing two R-rated films in the same weekend is generally not a good idea), and it benefited from having a name actor in Jake Gyllenhal, whereas Dredd didn't really have any famous names to get people's attention.

Also, from what I heard, Dredd was poorly advertised in some markets(though I saw plenty of ads for it where I live) some people didn't even know it was coming out as it wasn't screened for critics in some markets.

Lastly, people were mostly familiar with Dredd through the Stallone film, as the comic book is not very-well known in the U.S., (though the film did manage to get #1 at the box-office in the U.K.) and they didn't believe the new Dredd film was going to be any better then that one, so they stayed away as a result.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:14 pm
Director

I have to say, Vex, very insightful on Dredd there. I especially agree with your last point. The stink of the Stallone film still hasn't worn off...it was that bad.

As for Evil Dead, I may go see it. I haven't seen a horror movie in the theater in a while. Now and then I feel like it.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:50 pm
Director

Rottentomatoes certainly manipulates things to a sometimes scary extent. It isn't very difficult to manipulate how many and which reviews get posted for a specific movie. For instance, Argo has a 96%, Taken 2 a 21%. But Taken 2's tomatometer is comprised of 161 reviews. Argo's: 259 reviews. I'm pretty much 100% certain that if you looked around the internet for 100 more reviews of Taken 2, you could find enough positives to boost the meter considerably, perhaps even to a fresh rating. If Argo acquired an extra 50 reviews, all negative (they do exist), it's meter would go down considerably. Then imagine if Argo had only been allowed 160 reviews, and a third of those had been gleaned from negative opinions on the film. You could do this for any film. No new release is univerally liked by everyone. The powers that be on that site do what they have to do to make sure the movies end up with around what they think they ought to have.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm
Director

As much as something like Evil Dead's early and wrong consensus showed that some of the staff at RT may be inclined to love some stuff a little too much, to suggest a conspiracy is pretty absurd, and most probably born out of your love of Taken 2 more than rational thinking. RT doesn't include every reviews and bloggers in the world or it will pretty much be a mess of a site. They have their own number of reviewers to which they base the tomatoes from. Taken 2 has less reviews because its audience target don't include much of the usual reviewers at RT, so some reviewers might not muster up enough interest to go and see it.

If the power that be at RT can do anything they like, someone like Armond White would be gone from their usual reviews a long, long time ago. As it is, he was not longer there because he didn't write for New York Press anymore, and his new publication is just not considered in the RT roster.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 pm
Director

I never put much stock in RT. There's no foolproof formula for it.

As far as this remake of Evil Dead goes, not interested. I liked the original although I thought Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness were better. This one looks and sounds like a gore bore remake much like the 2004 Dawn Of The Dead.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I never put much stock in RT. There's no foolproof formula for it.

As far as this remake of Evil Dead goes, not interested. I liked the original although I thought Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness were better. This one looks and sounds like a gore bore remake much like the 2004 Dawn Of The Dead.

I loved the Dawn Of The Dead remake, so this sounds right up my alley.

Here's a non-professional review of the film for a change of pace:
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/reviews/evil-dead-03

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm
Cinematographer

I often agree with the Tomatometer, but I also take the time to read individual reviews from my pantheon of film critics. There are quite a few people whom I look to in order to see if a film might interest me. These critics include(d) the late Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, Peter Travers, Christy Lemire, James Berardinelli, Michael Phillips, A.O. Scott, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, Shaun Munro, and Mark Kermode. The last two are from the United Kingdom, and it's always interesting to see what titles receive earlier or later releases there. For instance, while the months between January and April are considered a cinematic wasteland stateside, they are the equivalent of Oscar season across the pond. Lots of great titles get releases then, along with a few bad titles. Last week, for example, Dark Skies opened there.

Rotten Tomatoes can be a useful directory, as well as a powerful tool, so long as you use it correctly. The site's forums are also quite interesting. (Many of them also have games centered on guessing Tomatometer scores, which is a weekly ritual of mine, as Vexer and Pedro and a few others can testify.)

Anyway, it looks like we'll be getting more of the same rubbish until the summer movie season kicks off in a few weeks. Iron Man 3 looks promising, although in the time until then, Oblivion should fill the void. I will also admit that I am interested in seeing Pain & Gain, even though Michael Bay is a lost cause for me. There are also a lot of "forgettables" to look forward to until then: 42, Scary Movie 5, and The Big Wedding.

Back on topic. I agree with Roeper on this one. Another needless remake that insists on bombarding the audience with blood and guts and gore instead of a compelling narrative. Horror has always been my least favorite genre, but I did love Cabin in the Woods last year.

Vexer, what are your thoughts on the Scary Movie franchise? Outside of Airplane! and a few Mel Brooks movies, spoof comedies have always struck me as uninspired and usually less whimsical than painful. You gave the fifth movie a fairly high prediction, so I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
I often agree with the Tomatometer, but I also take the time to read individual reviews from my pantheon of film critics. There are quite a few people whom I look to in order to see if a film might interest me. These critics include(d) the late Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, Peter Travers, Christy Lemire, James Berardinelli, Michael Phillips, A.O. Scott, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, Shaun Munro, and Mark Kermode. The last two are from the United Kingdom, and it's always interesting to see what titles receive earlier or later releases there. For instance, while the months between January and April are considered a cinematic wasteland stateside, they are the equivalent of Oscar season across the pond. Lots of great titles get releases then, along with a few bad titles. Last week, for example, Dark Skies opened there.

Rotten Tomatoes can be a useful directory, as well as a powerful tool, so long as you use it correctly. The site's forums are also quite interesting. (Many of them also have games centered on guessing Tomatometer scores, which is a weekly ritual of mine, as Vexer and Pedro and a few others can testify.)

Anyway, it looks like we'll be getting more of the same rubbish until the summer movie season kicks off in a few weeks. Iron Man 3 looks promising, although in the time until then, Oblivion should fill the void. I will also admit that I am interested in seeing Pain & Gain, even though Michael Bay is a lost cause for me. There are also a lot of "forgettables" to look forward to until then: 42, Scary Movie 5, and The Big Wedding.

Back on topic. I agree with Roeper on this one. Another needless remake that insists on bombarding the audience with blood and guts and gore instead of a compelling narrative. Horror has always been my least favorite genre, but I did love Cabin in the Woods last year.

Vexer, what are your thoughts on the Scary Movie franchise? Outside of Airplane! and a few Mel Brooks movies, spoof comedies have always struck me as uninspired and usually less whimsical than painful. You gave the fifth movie a fairly high prediction, so I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

I think the Scary Movie series is pretty funny overall, though I prefer the first two, parts 3 and 4 were hit and miss humor wise, part 5 looks like an improvement overall. I generally like spoof films, though I will confess to finding Blazing Saddles a bit overrated, I can see why some people find them lazy, though I personally don't care as long s they make me laugh. Horror was the first genre I ever got into, so i've always had a soft spot for it, musicals are my least favorite genre, as I find pretty much all of them to be mediocre at best, Repo was the only one I really found tolerable, and even it had some glaring issues.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 pm
Producer

Saw this today. All of the characters range from barely better than useless (main lunkhead, main lunkhead's sister) to useless (main lunkhead's girlfriend, other hotter girl) to worse than useless (the idiot with the glasses and the long hair). A far cry from the original series, where we could count on at least one competent hero. I said it before, and my suspicions are confirmed: Evil Dead without Ash is like Christmas without presents.

And why call it Evil Dead at all? Aside from the book, the camera in the woods, and a few scattered moments here and there, this feels nothing like an Evil Dead movie and everything like a generic, schlocky horror movie about kids getting possessed by some evil plague and cutting each other to pieces. I ordinarily abhor horror franchises that rely on fanservice, but Evil Dead could have used a little more of it at least to unite it with the previous titles in the series.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Saw this today. All of the characters range from barely better than useless (main lunkhead, main lunkhead's sister) to useless (main lunkhead's girlfriend, other hotter girl) to worse than useless (the idiot with the glasses and the long hair). A far cry from the original series, where we could count on at least one competent hero. I said it before, and my suspicions are confirmed: Evil Dead without Ash is like Christmas without presents.

And why call it Evil Dead at all? Aside from the book, the camera in the woods, and a few scattered moments here and there, this feels nothing like an Evil Dead movie and everything like a generic, schlocky horror movie about kids getting possessed by some evil plague and cutting each other to pieces. I ordinarily abhor horror franchises that rely on fanservice, but Evil Dead could have used a little more of it at least to unite it with the previous titles in the series.

So there was no camp value in this film, as with the original, I take it? The filmmaker actually took the material seriously?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
The filmmaker actually took the material seriously?

.....yep. I don't think there's one (intentional) attempt at humor in the whole thing.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
So there was no camp value in this film, as with the original, I take it? The filmmaker actually took the material seriously?

It's a matter of definition. "Seriously" as in "without a sense of humor", pretty much. "Seriously" as in "as a way of creating entertainment that might enchant people and maybe even enrich their lives", not so much.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am
Producer

Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell are making a new Army of Darkness movie, which will presumably star Bruce Campbell for more than two god damn seconds.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:59 am