Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
RIP Roger Ebert 
Auteur

Post Re: RIP Roger Ebert
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
calvero wrote:
didn't JB have a reelviews on him a while back? about how helpful he was in his becoming a critic?
anyone have that link?

is The Host the last movie Ebert reviewed?

Yes. And yes, The Host was the last Ebert review.

Jeez, hardly a fitting end to such an amazing career. I may disagreed with Ebert on a number of occasions, but he had a unique style that will be sorely missed.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 pm
Critic

Great reading all these comments.

My list of "People Who I've Never Met Whose Death Would Actually Upset Me" just went from 1 to 0.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm
Director

I remember a quote from Billy Bob Thornton in 1992 - "John Wayne used to be my hero, but now its Siskel & Ebert"

a lot of the younger posters probably don't realize how powerful they were, they helped so many films(like One False Move) reach a wider audience. and essentially helped someone like Thornton have a career.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm
Assistant Director

And as already pointed out it really looks like The Host is the last film he saw (reviewed). That just seems wrong.

Last edited by nitrium on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't think it's overstating to say that Ebert made film criticism into what it is today. Simply watching a movie and stating liked/didn't-like became inadequate after Ebert's entry into the profession. He created an art form nearly as big as the movies he was watching at a time when the excitement of moving pictures was no longer enough. They needed to express and he could explain how they expressed in a way that became as anticipated as the movies themselves. Who didn't look forward to reading his review on a new release and who would sometimes feel a little sad if he hadn't reviewed a film you hoped to see?
I read his older reviews both online and in books and whether we agreed or not, he always challenged me to think about and view movies in a way that differed from my first impressions.

I will miss his contributions to films more than any star I can think of.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:52 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
And as already pointed out it really looks like The Host is the last film he saw (reviewed). That just seems wrong.

There was a small article in the paper this morning about his cancer returning and how he was planning to keep reviewing movies, only he was going to scale back his work. As he put it, "Now I'm only going to review the movies that I want to review." Too bad he didn't get the chance and, indeed, went out on a sour note.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:

I agree. Truly unfortunate.

Ebert will sorely be missed. Despite the extensive news coverage concerning his death, I doubt that anyone will miss Ebert as much as the film fan community. (Aside from Chaz and his closest friends, of course.)

JamesKunz wrote:
Great reading all these comments.

My list of "People Who I've Never Met Whose Death Would Actually Upset Me" just went from 1 to 0.

Words cannot express how much I agree with this statement. I was originally indifferent to his death, but in the past few hours, I have truly begun to realize just how profound an influence he had on my life.

Part of me wishes that this was all a late April Fools' joke, and that Ebert is just waiting to write a new tweet.

I wonder how this will impact the biopic Scorsese was planning to direct about Ebert's life.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm
Director

Sean wrote:
I wonder how this will impact the biopic Scorsese was planning to direct about Ebert's life.

A few years ago Ebert wrote a book about Scorsese. It was prety good.

Like I said elsewhere. It was through reading his "Movie Companion" books that I learned how to think about film critically. From there I began to understand film theory and film history.

There may have been times where I strongly disagreed with him (Fight Club, Blue Velvet, Fast Times At Ridgemont High). But he always backed his viewpoint up.

Now he's gone and there's a massive hole in the world of film analysis. Who's gonna take his place? Michael Medved? I think not.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 am
Cinematographer

One of the best tributes I've read so far, from the Onion:

Quote:
Calling the overall human experience “poignant,” “thought-provoking,” and a “complete tour de force,” film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as “an audacious and thrilling triumph.” “While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,” said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes “a mess in places,” it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. “At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.” Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was “a little on the long side,” it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

It is very difficult to quantify what Roger Ebert meant to the filmbuff community. For many, like me, he was the Baptist. When I was in the beginning stages of cinephilia, I usually disliked reading him because he came across as elitist. But then he was also the only person I read who really challenged me to look at films as something more than meaningless entertainment. The more I began to get into films, the more I realized that the problem was not that he was elitist, but that I had to expand my horizons. It is fair to say that I wouldn't be the filmbuff I am now without Roger Ebert.

But his personal contributions have been more important than his filmi ones in recent memory. His blogs about his battle with cancer have been inspirational on a personal front for me. Anytime I would think my life was difficult and read his blog, it would feel like a slap in the face. He was so charming and endearing even when he lost his ability to speak. To have that amount of optimism in the face of such difficulty was something else altogether. Even in the news yesterday, he sounded so confident, "Now I'm only going to review the movies that I want to review." I personally believe anybody who thinks they have been dealt bad cards should read his blog and that all of his recent posts should be archived for reading somewhere on the Internet, or better yet immortalized as a book.

I just started reading Scorsese by Ebert and have realized that there is no other director/critic relationship quite like theirs. There will be no other human being like Roger Ebert. He will be sorely missed and that is an understatement.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Producer

nitrium wrote:

According to the excellent Jim Emerson, the last movie Ebert wrote a review of is To The Wonder.

The Host just has the irrelevant distinction of being his last review to be published during his lifetime.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 am
Producer

There would have been something horribly ironic about "The Host" being the last review of a cancer victim.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am
Second Unit Director

Found this somewhere. It brought a smile to my face.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

I'm. Not. Crying. :)
Ken wrote:
nitrium wrote:

According to the excellent Jim Emerson, the last movie Ebert wrote a review of is To The Wonder.

The Host just has the irrelevant distinction of being his last review to be published during his lifetime.

Perfect. The Tree of Life was one of his favorite films, after all.

For old times sake, I present this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkwVz_jK3gA. Simply hilarious.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:06 am
Cinematographer

Does anyone know if a site exists where we can see all of Siskel and Ebert and Roeper's videos? Ever since ABC took down the At the Movies website, I have had to resort to searching YouTube for old clips.

Furthermore, is there a directory which lists all of Ebert's written reviews?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

Damn, that made me tear up.

I'm originally from Chicago and grew up with Siskel and Ebert. As much as I will miss his reviews, I think I may miss his blog even more. After losing my mother to cancer, his writings were an inspiration to me. On his fight with his various ailments, and on the many other subjects he wrote about, always eloquently and often brilliant.

I can't even begin to describe my feelings right now.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
calvero wrote:
didn't JB have a reelviews on him a while back? about how helpful he was in his becoming a critic?
anyone have that link?

is The Host the last movie Ebert reviewed?

Yes. And yes, The Host was the last Ebert review.

Jeez, hardly a fitting end to such an amazing career. I may disagreed with Ebert on a number of occasions, but he had a unique style that will be sorely missed.

I don't know if it's just people and wishful thinking, but I heard rumors that Ebert had written a review of the new Terrence Malick film, but it hasn't been published online yet. That would be a much better ending to a wonderful career.

----
And btw, did anyone catch this cartoon? It's kind of like the one above me.

Attachments:
saved-you-the-aisle-seat-roger-ebert-comic.jpg
saved-you-the-aisle-seat-roger-ebert-comic.jpg [ 50.03 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm truly saddened by Roger Ebert's passing. When I was a kid, my parents purchased a big thick book chock full of Roger's reviews (it was the size of a phone book!). I DEVOURED it. So I absolutely credit him with helping to foster my love for the cinema.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm
Director

The recommendations I remember most fondly which came directly from him were The Night of the Hunter and La Dolce Vita, two of the first entries in his great movies series. And great films they are.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm
Director

Damn, I didn't even read his stuff that often, but these cartoons are just... :cry:

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next