Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Carrie (2013) 
Director

Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Quote:
The website that I read the news has an interesting comment that given the climax, March might still be too soon after the school shooting.

Not to mention the tragedy in Brazil, which is the reason I assumed initially.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
The website that I read the news has an interesting comment that given the climax, March might still be too soon after the school shooting.

Not to mention the tragedy in Brazil, which is the reason I assumed initially.

I never even knew about that nightclub fire until now, somehow I doubt that's the reason for the delay. I think it's more because March just isn't a very good month to release horror films, the studio probably didn't want to risk this film flopping like Grindhouse did when it got released in March.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 pm
Producer

The director is Kimberly Peirce, who has only directed two feature films before, but they were Boys Don't Cry and Stop-Loss. I don't know why she isn't more prolific.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm
Director

Quote:
Moretz has dismissed rumors that her upcoming horror remake, "Carrie," is in trouble following a delay, saying the movie was pushed back to add "more intense" scenes.

Moretz plays the role of the telepathic teenager in a new adaptation of the Stephen King novel, opposite Julianne Moore as her on-screen mother. "Carrie" had been set to hit theaters in March, but the release was pushed back until October.

Moretz says the reshoots will make the film well worth the wait. She tells Fangoria magazine, "We prolonged a couple of scenes ... to make it even deeper. It wasn't about cutting anything out or trying to edit around things; it was about adding more to make the movie scarier and more intense. ... We actually prolonged the film. We did some reshoots and added three extra scenes with Julianne and I to make the movie even deeper and darker."

Moretz also reveals the film will be very different from the 1976 version starring Sissy Spacek in the title role, even comparing it to Natalie Portman's Oscar-winning ballet thriller, "Black Swan." She adds, "The script is totally different from the [original]. It's more like the book. It's a more 'Black Swan' version -- it messes with your mind. You'll see things, and you don't know if you've seen them."

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=822625

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:33 pm
Producer

I saw a preview of this a week or so ago. It looked promising, especially with Chloe Grace Moritz in the lead.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I saw a preview of this a week or so ago. It looked promising, especially with Chloe Grace Moritz in the lead.

I think that Chloe Grace Moritz is going to the the next big star.
She has 10 films coming out it the next 2 years .
I hope she does not burn out and do a Lindsey Lohan.
She could rival Ellen Page.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:01 am
Auteur

p604 wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I think that Chloe Grace Moritz is going to the the next big star.
She has 10 films coming out it the next 2 years .
I hope she does not burn out and do a Lindsey Lohan.
She could rival Ellen Page.

Speaking of Lindsay, she's actually doing pretty well right now, she has a documentary series coming up and she just finished filming a role for the series finale of Eastbound And Down.

As for Moretz, Kick Ass 2 showed that she was good at playing a troubled high-school student, some scenes almost seemed like a preview for Carrie.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Speaking of Lindsay, she's actually doing pretty well right now, she has a documentary series coming up and she just finished filming a role for the series finale of Eastbound And Down.

As for Moretz, Kick Ass 2 showed that she was good at playing a troubled high-school student, some scenes almost seemed like a preview for Carrie.

Before she got into her issues with substance abuse, I thought that Lohan was going to have a great career, because she is a talented actress. It's not too late, perhaps, as Robert Downey Jr demonstrated when he kicked his own issues and went on to revive his career. I think that Lindsay has a long road ahead of her, however.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm
Director

I read the New York Times article behind the making of The Canyons, which I also have seen, and it's almost bizarre how a dramatization of the making of this movie might be even more interesting than the actual movie itself. Also wonder how anyone would want to work with her after that. Don't really care for the movie, but Paul Schrader comes off almost a saint after the article.

I follow a few celebrities on instagram, with Chloe Grace Moritz one of them. What really strikes me is for someone so young who play a lot of dark, complicated roles (and play them really well), she really comes off as a normal, well-adjusted teen. And her interview after Jim Carrey bowed out of promoting Kick-Ass 2 is really well said. I think she will be one of the few cases who's transitioned into adult acting careers successfully.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
I read the New York Times article behind the making of The Canyons, which I also have seen, and it's almost bizarre how a dramatization of the making of this movie might be even more interesting than the actual movie itself. Also wonder how anyone would want to work with her after that. Don't really care for the movie, but Paul Schrader comes off almost a saint after the article.

I follow a few celebrities on instagram, with Chloe Grace Moritz one of them. What really strikes me is for someone so young who play a lot of dark, complicated roles (and play them really well), she really comes off as a normal, well-adjusted teen. And her interview after Jim Carrey bowed out of promoting Kick-Ass 2 is really well said. I think she will be one of the few cases who's transitioned into adult acting careers successfully.

To be fair there have been lots of cases of stars making trouble behind-the-scenes that were a lot worse(it's pretty tame compared to the craziness behind say "The Island Of Dr. Moreau" remake), and according to Schrader, Lohan was nowhere near the most troubled person he had to work with, he said the one actor who gave him more trouble then anyone else in his whole career was actually Richard Pryor. In spite of everything that happened, he never regretted casting her in the film and said he couldn't imagine anyone else doing the role.

Speaking of Carrey, i'm wondering if his comments will make him a pariah in Hollywood, sabotaging your own film is something that tends to be frowned upon, he could potentially get sued over something like that, making him less desireable for producers to cast him.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:19 pm
Director

I'm going to reserve judgment until October, but I wonder if Moretzis the right actress to play Carrie. If you read the novel, it's pretty clear that Carrie is not naturally pretty. Moretz is, and the previews make her look pretty. Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but I'm just not sure.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I'm going to reserve judgment until October, but I wonder if Moretzis the right actress to play Carrie. If you read the novel, it's pretty clear that Carrie is not naturally pretty. Moretz is, and the previews make her look pretty. Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but I'm just not sure.

As I recall, the novel implied more that Carrie *could* be pretty but wasn't because of the way her mother forced her to dress (no make-up and frumpy clothing). I don't think it would be that hard to accept Miss Moretz as Carrie if she did something as simple as not applying makeup and wearing her hair in a bun.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:43 pm
Director

I doubt she'll top the natural plainness of Sissy Spacek. Julianne Moore seems like an uneasy fit as well. There's no way Travolta and Nancy Allen will be topped either. This one looks professionally made, but seriously what's the point of redoing a classic like this? It's not a particularly "scary" story anyway, and it's far from King's best. Probably not even in the top half of his work. Also, since Moretz is under 18, we can be sure that the shocking opening shower scene has been censored out. Yet another example of prudishness from today's Hollywood.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
This one looks professionally made, but seriously what's the point of redoing a classic like this?

What's the point of redoing any films? Money.

There's an interesting article I found on Cracked.com that was speculating on why 2015 could be the worst year ever for movies. Granted, this is a humor site, but the reasons listed aren't all that far-fetched when you think about them.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 pm
Director

Quote:
There is simply a limit to how many movies people will watch in a year.

Yes! Thank God for this line. I love movies, but would never expect more than 10 or 12 really good ones in a year, give or take.

Also thank heaven for that Star Wars graph. I'd put good money on that line going down considerably further in 2015.

Quote:
Last year's The Hobbit -- a film with the exact same fan base -- had a budget that was 250 percent higher (resulting in much worse looking effects, somehow)

Lol

You know, that brings up a crucial point. Are studio execs currently trying to hide the fact that they don't know what they're doing? Perhaps they had success for a while but now are faltering? I think the person who wrote this article would make a more competent exec than many current ones. Oh, they know how to market. The problem is, that's about the only thing they know how to do. What I suspect they don't know how to do: manage production costs, for one. They don't know how to allocate money. Some of them probably scratch their heads staring at a replay of Chronicle all day, wondering how the hell Trank managed to do that for 15 mil and thinking "if I had made this it would have been 90 million." Like a lot of their consumers, these people simply don't know how NOT to spend too much money. A smart producer knows how to read between the lines, which is why For Your Eyes Only was given a lower budget than the massively-successful Moonraker, for instance. That's another decision that might have these execs scratching their heads. Today's execs would wonder why Roger Moore didn't go to Mars next. Even on the small level, it's a problem. 20 mil is a lot for The Conjuring, it easily could have been made for under 10.

I think the people in charge now don't really know movies or necessarily watch a lot of movies. If the average exec browsed the Great Movies section of this forum, he/she wouldn't know what most of those movies were. I have to admit, I had a professor once who was unable to recognize the music from Schindler's List when somebody played it. It's ridiculous. But this is the industry right now. It's bad. The wrong people are in power; people who don't care.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:10 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Well everyone has a different standard for what they consider "beautiful" and besides, I don't think it would go over to well if producers said Carrie had to be unattractive, I think that would end up sending the wrong message.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Well everyone has a different standard for what they consider "beautiful" and besides, I don't think it would go over to well if producers said Carrie had to be unattractive, I think that would end up sending the wrong message.

It would make it more faithful to the novel though.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:16 pm
Director

I, too, would not recognize Schindler's List music if played to me, and the movie's in my top 10. For me at least, it's not a movie to be rewatched often, if ever (I watched it 2 times, four or five years apart I think), so some of the technical aspects might not be stuck in your head. (Another story if your professor's teaching in fields relevant to this stuff though)

As for Carrie, Moritz is certainly not someone usually thought to be a high school outcast, but if her performance is good enough to convey that her upbringing makes her mannerisms off-putting to other teenagers, it will not be a problem.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

It would make it more faithful to the novel though.

Well as you said in regards to The Shining, it isn't always necessary for a film to remain true to the novel in order to work, and besides there are some things in novels which just do not translate well to the screen, and IMO this would be one of them. I don't think it's possible to make Carrie "ugly" unless you had Moretz put on a ton of makeup and gain weight like Charlize Theron did for "Monster", and oh boy would there be a ton of unfortunate implications if that did happen(basically it would send the message that "bad things only happen to you if you're ugly" or something like that) I think this is one instance where the film will be better by deviating away from the novel.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 pm
Director

Quote:
As for Carrie, Moritz is certainly not someone usually thought to be a high school outcast, but if her performance is good enough to convey that her upbringing makes her mannerisms off-putting to other teenagers, it will not be a problem.

I just don't think acting works that way, in my experience. Spacek was literally born to play that part. It's not just about the performance, it's about the casting. No actor is able to play any and every role. From what I see in the trailer, I don't buy it.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:26 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next