Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 am

EVIL DEAD 
Site Admin

Post EVIL DEAD
Click here for the review of Evil Dead

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Why does Hollywood keep thinking gore is scary? Gore is actually pretty boring if it feels gratuitious (as it usually is).

Movies like The Shining and The Exorcist have no gore and yet to this day they still frighten audiences.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
Why does Hollywood keep thinking gore is scary? Gore is actually pretty boring if it feels gratuitious (as it usually is).

Movies like The Shining and The Exorcist have no gore and yet to this day they still frighten audiences.

Well I think that's up for debate. I didn't think either of those films were "frightening" in the least, I found them both overlong and highly overrated. I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.

Some people like myself enjoy gratituos gore and don't care if it's "scary" or not, this film sounds like it will make a very nice DVD rental.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm
Director

Quote:
I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.

They're all watchable you'd say? Even Jason X? Lol. An excess of gore just for the sake of gore certainly doesn't offend me. For instance, with Peter Jackson's Dead Alive I never became offended...though I must admit by the end my stomach felt queasy.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.

They're all watchable you'd say? Even Jason X? Lol. An excess of gore just for the sake of gore certainly doesn't offend me. For instance, with Peter Jackson's Dead Alive I never became offended...though I must admit by the end my stomach felt queasy.

Jason X is actually my personal favorite film in the series. Excessive gore dosen't usually make me queasy, so Dead Alive did not bother me. Although brutal torture scenes do disturb me somewhat, and brutal rape scenes are even worse.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Jason X is actually my personal favorite film in the series.

Ha ha ha, I rated that 3/10 on imdb (I rated movies on imdb since ~2000 to keep track of what I thought of something for future reference). Well opinions differ I suppose.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 pm
Cinematographer

With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Not like they had much crediblity to begin with.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm
Producer

Hated Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead and it's sequel. Don't to expect to find this remake any better.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Hated Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead and it's sequel. Don't to expect to find this remake any better.

What did you hate about them?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 am
Producer

Everything. Overly campy movies aren't my cup of tea. And those movies were INCREDIBLY campy! They were just schlock filmmaking but it didn't even work for me in a so bad it's good kind of way. It was so bad it was bad.

I realize these movies are cult classics and a lot of people love them. And that will forever mystify me.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Everything. Overly campy movies aren't my cup of tea. And those movies were INCREDIBLY campy! They were just schlock filmmaking but it didn't even work for me in a so bad it's good kind of way. It was so bad it was bad.

I realize these movies are cult classics and a lot of people love them. And that will forever mystify me.

I don't love them like some people do. I thought they were merely OK, I don't mind campy films(though the first Evil Dead film was considerably less campy and a bit more serious then the sequels).

Here's Dustin's take on the film:
http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/e/13_evildead.htm

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:

Oh no, it's almost rotten! It's the end of the world as we know it!

*jumps out of a window*

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 am
Producer

The tomatometer never had any credibility to begin with.

And I am infinitely saddened to discover that Firefox's spellcheck, which fails to recognize so many words, is recognizing "tomatometer" as a word.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am
Producer

Lost all credibility? Since all the site is really about is placing a bunch of critics reviews, and it does as good a job of that as any other site, I don't see how it's "lost all credibility".

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
The tomatometer never had any credibility to begin with.

And I am infinitely saddened to discover that Firefox's spellcheck, which fails to recognize so many words, is recognizing "tomatometer" as a word.

The Tomatometer can be a useful tool, but failing to read any of the reviews or blurbs that it makes use of constitutes its misuse.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am
Site Admin

patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

*jumps out of a window*

EVIL DEAD's RT score was initially inflated because of how the filmmakers cannily manipulated what reviews could and couldn't be posted early. For the most part, mainstream reviewers who didn't have a face-to-face with Fede Alvarez were embargoed until April 4. So the only ones allowed to post were those who saw it at SXSW and those who interviewed the director (who, by all accounts, is charming and passionate). Mainstream reaction to this film is going to be pretty much what it is for all bloody horror films, so it will continue to drop.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

*jumps out of a window*

You're sounding kind of...butthurt. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
Lost all credibility? Since all the site is really about is placing a bunch of critics reviews, and it does as good a job of that as any other site, I don't see how it's "lost all credibility".

It compiles a score based on those reviews and peddles itself as a site from which the moviegoing public can decide what films to spend their money on, so credibility is in fact very much involved. If it didn't have the Tomatometer, you would definitely have a point.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
EVIL DEAD's RT score was initially inflated because of how the filmmakers cannily manipulated what reviews could and couldn't be posted early. For the most part, mainstream reviewers who didn't have a face-to-face with Fede Alvarez were embargoed until April 4. So the only ones allowed to post were those who saw it at SXSW and those who interviewed the director (who, by all accounts, is charming and passionate). Mainstream reaction to this film is going to be pretty much what it is for all bloody horror films, so it will continue to drop.

How to tell this? The reviews from which the early positive score was compiled came from a period between March 9 and March 18, whereas most of the rest of the reviews came starting April 2.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm