Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
EVIL DEAD 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post EVIL DEAD
Click here for the review of Evil Dead

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!


Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 192
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Why does Hollywood keep thinking gore is scary? Gore is actually pretty boring if it feels gratuitious (as it usually is).

Movies like The Shining and The Exorcist have no gore and yet to this day they still frighten audiences.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
ck100 wrote:
Why does Hollywood keep thinking gore is scary? Gore is actually pretty boring if it feels gratuitious (as it usually is).

Movies like The Shining and The Exorcist have no gore and yet to this day they still frighten audiences.

Well I think that's up for debate. I didn't think either of those films were "frightening" in the least, I found them both overlong and highly overrated. I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.

Some people like myself enjoy gratituos gore and don't care if it's "scary" or not, this film sounds like it will make a very nice DVD rental.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1602
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Quote:
I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.


They're all watchable you'd say? Even Jason X? Lol. An excess of gore just for the sake of gore certainly doesn't offend me. For instance, with Peter Jackson's Dead Alive I never became offended...though I must admit by the end my stomach felt queasy.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
I'll gladly watch any one of the Friday the 13th films over them any day of the week.


They're all watchable you'd say? Even Jason X? Lol. An excess of gore just for the sake of gore certainly doesn't offend me. For instance, with Peter Jackson's Dead Alive I never became offended...though I must admit by the end my stomach felt queasy.

Jason X is actually my personal favorite film in the series. Excessive gore dosen't usually make me queasy, so Dead Alive did not bother me. Although brutal torture scenes do disturb me somewhat, and brutal rape scenes are even worse.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 796
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Vexer wrote:
Jason X is actually my personal favorite film in the series.

Ha ha ha, I rated that 3/10 on imdb (I rated movies on imdb since ~2000 to keep track of what I thought of something for future reference). Well opinions differ I suppose.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 533
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Ragnarok73 wrote:
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:

Not like they had much crediblity to begin with.


Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Hated Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead and it's sequel. Don't to expect to find this remake any better.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
ilovemovies wrote:
Hated Sam Raimi's original Evil Dead and it's sequel. Don't to expect to find this remake any better.

What did you hate about them?


Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Everything. Overly campy movies aren't my cup of tea. And those movies were INCREDIBLY campy! They were just schlock filmmaking but it didn't even work for me in a so bad it's good kind of way. It was so bad it was bad.

I realize these movies are cult classics and a lot of people love them. And that will forever mystify me.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
ilovemovies wrote:
Everything. Overly campy movies aren't my cup of tea. And those movies were INCREDIBLY campy! They were just schlock filmmaking but it didn't even work for me in a so bad it's good kind of way. It was so bad it was bad.

I realize these movies are cult classics and a lot of people love them. And that will forever mystify me.

I don't love them like some people do. I thought they were merely OK, I don't mind campy films(though the first Evil Dead film was considerably less campy and a bit more serious then the sequels).

Here's Dustin's take on the film:
http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/e/13_evildead.htm


Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 418
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Ragnarok73 wrote:
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:


Oh no, it's almost rotten! It's the end of the world as we know it!

*jumps out of a window*


Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
The tomatometer never had any credibility to begin with.


And I am infinitely saddened to discover that Firefox's spellcheck, which fails to recognize so many words, is recognizing "tomatometer" as a word.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Lost all credibility? Since all the site is really about is placing a bunch of critics reviews, and it does as good a job of that as any other site, I don't see how it's "lost all credibility".


Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
Ken wrote:
The tomatometer never had any credibility to begin with.


And I am infinitely saddened to discover that Firefox's spellcheck, which fails to recognize so many words, is recognizing "tomatometer" as a word.

The Tomatometer can be a useful tool, but failing to read any of the reviews or blurbs that it makes use of constitutes its misuse.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3118
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:


Oh no, it's almost rotten! It's the end of the world as we know it!

*jumps out of a window*


EVIL DEAD's RT score was initially inflated because of how the filmmakers cannily manipulated what reviews could and couldn't be posted early. For the most part, mainstream reviewers who didn't have a face-to-face with Fede Alvarez were embargoed until April 4. So the only ones allowed to post were those who saw it at SXSW and those who interviewed the director (who, by all accounts, is charming and passionate). Mainstream reaction to this film is going to be pretty much what it is for all bloody horror films, so it will continue to drop.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 533
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
patrick wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
With the inclusion of more reviews (including JB's), this film has dropped to a grand rating of 57% among top critics and 66% overall, making a lie out of the premature consensus.

Way to bolster your credibility, RT....

<*slow clap*> :roll:


Oh no, it's almost rotten! It's the end of the world as we know it!

*jumps out of a window*

You're sounding kind of...butthurt. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 533
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
ilovemovies wrote:
Lost all credibility? Since all the site is really about is placing a bunch of critics reviews, and it does as good a job of that as any other site, I don't see how it's "lost all credibility".

It compiles a score based on those reviews and peddles itself as a site from which the moviegoing public can decide what films to spend their money on, so credibility is in fact very much involved. If it didn't have the Tomatometer, you would definitely have a point.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 533
Post Re: EVIL DEAD
James Berardinelli wrote:
EVIL DEAD's RT score was initially inflated because of how the filmmakers cannily manipulated what reviews could and couldn't be posted early. For the most part, mainstream reviewers who didn't have a face-to-face with Fede Alvarez were embargoed until April 4. So the only ones allowed to post were those who saw it at SXSW and those who interviewed the director (who, by all accounts, is charming and passionate). Mainstream reaction to this film is going to be pretty much what it is for all bloody horror films, so it will continue to drop.

How to tell this? The reviews from which the early positive score was compiled came from a period between March 9 and March 18, whereas most of the rest of the reviews came starting April 2.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr