Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 am

Roger Ebert Recently 
Cinematographer

Post Roger Ebert Recently
I don't follow Ebert's blog extensively, nor do I visit his website every day, but I just wanted to know why he's been decommissioned recently. I heard about his injury back in December, but since then, a variety of film critics (including Richard Roeper and the grossly-underrated Ignatiy Vishnevetsky) have been filling in for him. At the same time, Ebert is still fairly consistent when it comes to writing journal entries. Is he still recuperating from his injury, or do you think that he's just gotten bored with reviewing movies? I can't say I blame him, especially given the slop that comes out in the first third of every year. I am aware that he has reviewed some times lately, but I was just wondering what his plans are for the time being.

I guess that Ebert Presents At the Movies is officially over. The show aired on PBS for one year in 2011, but after that, it went on hiatus until further financial underwriting could be found for it. Either way, Ebert has said nothing substantial about it in the past 12 months, so I'm guessing that, given his recent injury, the show will just be forgotten about.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Roger Ebert Recently
I think he's still recovering from his injury, I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to review films any more. It's simply easier for him to write journal entries because that dosen't require him to physically go anywhere to do so.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm
Producer

I don't know for sure, but recuperating from his injury would preclude him from making it out to movies but would not preclude him from writing in his blog.

At this point, I can imagine only Ebert's health causing his retirement. Never boredom.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:59 pm
Cinematographer

Does it really take this long to recover? (I'm not trying to sound rude, but I was simply wondering.) What sort of injury was it again?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Does it really take this long to recover? (I'm not trying to sound rude, but I was simply wondering.) What sort of injury was it again?

He fractured one of his legs, depending on the severity of the fracture, recovery can easily take several months.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm
Producer

It was his hip.

I don't know that this has anything to do with it, but he had some bone extracted from his legs in failed attempts to reconstruct his jaw, resulting in his limited ability to walk. This could be impeding his ability to recover, and likely helped cause the injury in the first place.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Second Unit Director

His age and overall poor health certainly aren't going to help him have a speedy recovery.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 am
Cinematographer

“The ‘painful fracture’ that made it difficult for me to walk has recently been revealed to be a cancer."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 1746.story

Fuck. That's not good.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Man, healthwise, it seems like he can't catch a break these days. But it does sound like he's doing his damndest to spin shit into gold. He's not done working anytime soon.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm
Director

Variety just posted that he died

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/roger ... 200333136/

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm
Director

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1732 ... ancer.html

This news doesn't seem to have reached very many people yet. I definitely discovered many great movies through his reviews. Rest in peace :(

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:46 pm
Producer

Jesus. So strange that he revealed the true nature of his injury when he did. Maybe he knew his time was short.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:09 pm