Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Film Noir 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Film Noir
MGamesCook wrote:
What's the consensus on Murder, My Sweet; Lady from Shanghai; Murder by Contract.

Three of my favorites that haven't really been brought up.

I haven't seen Murder, My Sweet or Murder by Contract yet. Watched The Lady from Shanghai last summer and this is what I had to say:

Quote:
‘The Lady from Shanghai’ is a typical film noir featuring a conflicted protagonist with a shady past, who is seduced by a femme fatale and gets involved in a convoluted plot about adultery and murder. Rita Hayworth is fantastic, some individual scenes are great (such as an acerbic argument between Bannister, his wife and Grisby) and the famous ending in a maze of mirrors is simply brilliant. Still, individually great elements don’t necessarily make a great movie and ‘The Lady from Shanghai’ is decidedly less than the sum of its parts.
The relative failure of 'The Lady from Shanghai’ can be blamed on writer, producer, director and actor Orson Welles. Of course, it is true that this movie as well as all other post ‘Citizen Kane’ Hollywood movies by Welles suffered from studio interference – in this case, Welles was asked to include more glamour shots of Rita Hayworth and include a scene in which she would sing a song. However, the studio can hardly be blamed for ‘The Lady from Shanghai‘s incomprehensible plot and intrusive, flowery voiceover. I concede that convoluted and even nonsensical plots as well as extensive voiceovers are staples of the film noir style, which usually don’t bother me. But ‘The Lady from Shanghai’ makes it seem at first as if the plot truly mattered, hints at dark secrets which aren’t really there and then messes it up big time. The voiceover simply isn’t hardboiled enough and Orson Welles’s delivery makes it seem as if he was too much in love with hearing his own voice. Actually, in contrast to Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles’s acting is terrible in general. He is never believable as a tough Irish sailor and comes across as a rather smug screen presence.
Overall, ‘The Lady fro Shanghai’ isn’t bad and individual aspects make it well worth watching, but it had the potential to be great or at least very good, which it just isn’t. Above-average 6/10

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm
Director

Quote:
CRY DANGER (1951)
The Film Noir Foundation, along with our colleagues at the UCLA Film & Television Archive, recently restored this Dick Powell thriller. Powell had a special way with a wisecrack, and was also one of the most astute independent producers in the business. Cry Danger was his film all the way, and he showed off his savvy by hiring wondrous wiseacre Bill Bowers to pen the original screenplay, and giving Oscar®-winning editor Robert Parrish his first directing gig. Sure, noir is supposed to be dark and nihilistic, but a great cast spewing Bowers' dynamite dialogue proves it can be incredibly fun as well. I dedicate this showing to the late, great Nancy Mysel, who supervised the restoration of this film, a project we both savored.

just rewatched this. has some of the best noir dialogue I've heard. and great LA locations. Dick Powell in fine form. shame its not on dvd.

Quote:
People dont' mention it too often,

dunno about that, seems to be a staple of noir books, classes etc.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm
Director

the 15th Annual Festival Of Film Noir starts Friday in Hollywood.

apparently there were a couple 3-D noirs in the 50s!

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... rk-inferno

may have to check them out

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:57 pm
Assistant Director

calvero wrote:

That's the way to see films as the director meant to be seen. I wish I had a Cinema like that I probably have to travel to either Melbourne or Sydney lol

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Director

calvero wrote:

Which one you going to?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 am
Director

^I'll probably go the 3D ones on April 20 at the Aero

I last went to this festival in 2002(the 4th annual)
saw The Killers, Moonrise, Cry of the City, Pushover, File on Thelma Jordan, Criss Cross
The Egyptian has a balcony, great way to see these movies.

impressive they keep it going year after year, but some of the movies they show aren't really noir

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm
Director

Criss Cross is definitely a good one. I've spent some time at the Egyptian, especially with the Bond marathon last year. Maybe I'll see you there.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 pm
Director

^which ones in this year's festival sound good to you?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm
Director

Cry of the City, with Victor Mature, is good. I prefer it to The Killers. Killers never really comes together for me, the best thing about it is Ava Gardner. A lot of those Fox noirs used the exact same theme music. The Dark Corner, Cry of the City, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and one or two others I'm forgetting play the same tune at the beginning. The 3D ones looks good. The calendar says they're playing at the Aero.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -film-noir

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm
Director

Quote:
Duryea could make anything good.

shame he never got an Oscar nom. he's in 'Chicago Calling' which is showing at noir fest(but doesn't sound like a noir)

and its on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSpiuasp ... F0FD58A930

Quote:
An unemployed, drunken photographer (Dan Duryea) returns to his Bunker Hill apartment and is greeted by his wife and daughter who are leaving him for good. A heartbreaking odyssey transpires on the streets of downtown L.A. with a desperate Duryea, in one of his finest screen performances, attempting to save both his family and himself. Beautifully helmed by John Reinhardt with Mary Anderson, Gordon Gebert and Ross Elliott.

did you know there was a made for tv remake of Winchester '73 with Duryea?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062496/

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm
Director

Quote:
did you know there was a made for tv remake of Winchester '73 with Duryea?

I knew, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 pm