Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 pm

House of Cards 
Cinematographer

Post House of Cards
Netflix subscribers could be in for a treat this weekend, which sees the release of all 13 episodes of the first season of House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. Not only does it look like a terrific updating of the original British series, which is pretty damn terrific in its own right, but it's also the first experiment from Netflix with producing original programming (new episodes of Arrested Development will follow in only a few months' time).

For anyone who may be on the fence about checking it out, the first two hours are directed by David Fincher, who also executive produced the series.

Here's a review from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... s/1880835/

And a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6wytrQo-UE

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: House of Cards
Quote:
Netflix subscribers could be in for a treat this weekend, which sees the release of all 13 episodes of the first season

that's a surprising decision, releasing all 13 at once.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 pm
Cinematographer

Has anyone watched this yet? Is it any good?

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Netflix subscribers could be in for a treat this weekend, which sees the release of all 13 episodes of the first season

that's a surprising decision, releasing all 13 at once.

What would be the advantage of releasing them separately? They aren't charging for individual episodes or anything. They want people to watch the show, and giving them access to all 13 at once probably entices them a bit more than releasing them weekly or whatever.

I guess they're embracing the idea that their streaming service works really well for TV shows. I use it more for catching up on shows I've missed than I do movies at this point.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Has anyone watched this yet? Is it any good?

Despite creating the thread, I haven't watched anything past the first 30 minutes yet. That has more to do with just general business in the last couple of weeks than anything related to quality though. From what I've seen, it looks like a faithful re-imagining of the original British series, which by itself was really great entertainment.

PeachyPete wrote:
What would be the advantage of releasing them separately? They aren't charging for individual episodes or anything. They want people to watch the show, and giving them access to all 13 at once probably entices them a bit more than releasing them weekly or whatever.

I guess they're embracing the idea that their streaming service works really well for TV shows. I use it more for catching up on shows I've missed than I do movies at this point.

They're using the same release model for their future programs too. Apparently there is an Eli Roth-produced horror/thriller show due in April, and Arrested Development is coming back in May.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I watched it and thought it was awesome. Kevin Spacey is perfect for this type of role, and all of the supporting characters are top notch as well. Every episode, Spacey's character breaks the 4th wall to talk to the audience, but it works as he is always describing political strategy, jargon, etc. I think it actually helps.

Apparently, Netflix dropped $100 million on the first 2 seasons, so at least we get one more. Finally, as a viewer, I love that one can watch all 13 episodes back to back. I did a marathon session over a weekend (when I was sick in bed). From a financial standpoint, however, it doesn't make any since. Somebody could just watch them all during a free trial. I know that netlix is hoping that that program will draw the viewer into more of netflix programming (in the future) and titles, but we shall see if this model works or not.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 am
Director

was wondering if it would get a dvd release

Quote:
"House of Cards" may be upending the way viewers watch television by releasing all of its episodes in one binge-friendly gulp, but Netflix's series will have a rather conventional afterlife.

The glossy, 13-episode political thriller will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on June 11, according to Home Media Magazine, which noted that the series is available for pre-sale on Amazon. The discs will be distributed by Sony Pictures.

The Blu-ray set will sell for $$65.99, and the DVD set will retail for $55.99. The show premiered all of its episodes on Feb. 1 on Netflix's streaming service, but the company says it will not release ratings.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm
Cinematographer

Just finished watching the series and it was pretty darn good. I am under the assumption that due to the delivery mechanism, the Emmy's wouldn't touch it, though Spacey and Wright give outstanding performances. I like that all episodes were released at once, even though I waited until May to start watching. I did not really "binge watch", but watched 2 episodes at a time over a 1.5 week span.

I liked the political maneuvering of the series and Spacey was very good when he had to break the 4th wall and speak directly to the audience about Francis' thoughts, impressions and plans. A lot of times I would break out laughing when in the middle of a scene Spacey would just stop, and glance to the audience with a look as if to say about another character, "Really? I have to put up with THIS guy's bullshit?" Very funny.

If I'd knock it on anything it's that the show meandered a bit around episodes 8-10, and Francis really takes some tough actions that seemed a bit over the top. Tony Soprano could get away with this kind of thing, but I think the Francis character was a bit extreme on the Machiavellian front there. Oh...and Spacey's Southern drawl was generally consistent, but did slip here and there a bit.

Otherwise, looking forward to Season 2 if they follow through on it.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:03 am
Cinematographer

Just finished watching the British version of the series from the early 1990's on Netflix. I must say that the UK version is a much more briskly moving story. Ian Richardson's Francis Urquhart is a delicious anti-hero as he spins his webs to advance his career and ideals. Missing is the meandering subplots involving his wife; she's there, but in a much more diminished capacity compared to the US version. While not a carbon copy, both versions follow certain milestone events in Francis' life. But what takes Kevin Spacey's Francis Underwood to almost achieve in 13 episodes only takes UK's Francis to fully achieve in 4.

In a political brawl I think that Urquhart (UK) would take down Underwood (US); Urquhart never loses a political fight like Underwood does and is less a slave to chance than Underwood has been during their respective reigns to date.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 pm
Cinematographer

Just finished Season 2 of this. It was pretty good. A little more focused than the first season with fewer stray plotlines. Not "no stray plotlines"....but fewer. Through 2 seasons, Francis in this version has got to the same political level that Francis in the UK version did (although he took 18 more episodes to do it; 13 episode seasons vs 4 episode seasons). If Netflix produces a 3rd season, I wonder if it will end the way the 3rd season of the UK version did, which ended the series altogether. There's not much more for Frank Underwood to do and he has some much deserved comeuppance due.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm
Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Just finished Season 2 of this. It was pretty good. A little more focused than the first season with fewer stray plotlines. Not "no stray plotlines"....but fewer. Through 2 seasons, Francis in this version has got to the same political level that Francis in the UK version did (although he took 18 more episodes to do it; 13 episode seasons vs 4 episode seasons). If Netflix produces a 3rd season, I wonder if it will end the way the 3rd season of the UK version did, which ended the series altogether. There's not much more for Frank Underwood to do and he has some much deserved comeuppance due.

I've just finished the first season. Thought it was just ok - not the ground breaking show its being billed as in some circles. Will probably watch season 2 when it becomes available here though, 'cos it it is well acted and slickly produced and has generally good pacing. I'm not familiar with the British original, so don't know where the story is heading; if I had I doubt I'd bother with this one.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm