Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:04 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
Click here for the review of The Place Beyond the Pines

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!


Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2066
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
Looking forward to this. Great cast, most o the reviews have been good to great. There have been some so-so reviews, but generally speaking it appears to be very much liked or loved by critics. Movie is suppose to open wider on April 12th. Hopefully it'll come out near me then.


Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:49 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3304
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
Looks like one of those films that would be better if it was 20 minutes shorter, maybe i'll see it on DVD, but i'm not buying into the hype most critics are giving it, though surprisingly, the Sun Times only gave gave it a 1.5:http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130327/REVIEWS/130329982


Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 584
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
ilovemovies wrote:
Looking forward to this. Great cast, most o the reviews have been good to great. There have been some so-so reviews, but generally speaking it appears to be very much liked or loved by critics. Movie is suppose to open wider on April 12th. Hopefully it'll come out near me then.

When I first saw Pines at TIFF last year, I found it mysteriously beautiful and esoteric. Now, re-watching it for a second and even third time, I find it far too ambitious, overlong, excessively bleak, and even disappointing. Certainly one of the year's biggest duds for me. Perhaps my excitement concerning the talent behind the film overshadowed my ability to formulate an objective opinion. It happens.


Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am
Posts: 17
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
Vexer wrote:
Looks like one of those films that would be better if it was 20 minutes shorter, maybe i'll see it on DVD, but i'm not buying into the hype most critics are giving it, though surprisingly, the Sun Times only gave gave it a 1.5:http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130327/REVIEWS/130329982


Roe peers review is four stars. Not sure who Simon Abraham is. Never seen his reviews before.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:14 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
jaminator wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Looks like one of those films that would be better if it was 20 minutes shorter, maybe i'll see it on DVD, but i'm not buying into the hype most critics are giving it, though surprisingly, the Sun Times only gave gave it a 1.5:http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130327/REVIEWS/130329982


Roe peers review is four stars. Not sure who Simon Abraham is. Never seen his reviews before.


Obviously a film that divides critics. I found it to be flawed but generally compelling. Felt similarly about the movie I saw last night, DISCONNECTED.


Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 967
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
Vexer wrote:
Looks like one of those films that would be better if it was 20 minutes shorter, maybe i'll see it on DVD, but i'm not buying into the hype most critics are giving it, though surprisingly, the Sun Times only gave gave it a 1.5:http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130327/REVIEWS/130329982


How exactly can you tell if a movie should be shorter without having actually seen it?

At any rate, I saw it today and thought it was excellent. The "coincidence" JB mentioned in the movie's third act is noticeable, but it didn't bother me as much as some. In fact I was riveted during that portion of the movie, just itching to see what would happen when all the secrets about the characters' connections were revealed. I love the themes here about how the sons ultimately pay for the fathers' sins and how drama begets drama. It isn't fair, but that's life. And Bradley Cooper has come such a long way as an actor. If this movie was released late in the year, he might be up for another Oscar nod.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1509
Post Re: THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
***1/2

Saw this today. Last night I re-watched Clint Eastwood's classic Mystic River. While different in story and other matters, both films touch on one of the same themes: that the past can come back to haunt you. And in a very dark way.

Of the two main characters, Cooper's is more developed. But we learn just enough about Gosling's to understand him and his motivations.

In some ways, the first two acts are set up for the theme about the past and how the sins of the fathers are passed on to the children. The first two hint, the third brings it out into the open.

If Blue Valentine was the story of a couple who got married too young and paid a heavy price for it, The Place Beyond The Pines is a story of people caught in a cycle they can't break free from because of things that happened in the past. As Bruce Springsteen (who's song "Dancing In The Dark" is featured in this film) once sang "You inherit the sins/you inherit the flames". This movie is a direct statement of that theme. It definitely takes a piece out of you. Don't know if I'll ever watch this again. But I'm glad I saw it.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr