Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm

THE HOST 
Site Admin

Post THE HOST
Click here for the review of The Host

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: THE HOST
While this film dosen't look very good, somehow I have a hard time believing it's worse then the Twilight films, which were about as "fun" as having teeth pulled.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
While this film dosen't look very good, somehow I have a hard time believing it's worse then the Twilight films, which were about as "fun" as having teeth pulled.

I was not expecting this film to be as bad as it ended up being. 13% on the Tomatometer at the moment. I thought it would at least end up somewhere in the mid-to-high 30% range.

Of course, this doesn't spell the end of Saoirse Ronan's young career. She's an exceptionally talented actress, who has accomplished more in just a few years that many of her peers ever accomplish in their entire lives. There is no doubt in my end that she will recover from this disaster.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Does Saoirse Ronan have a clause in her contracts that states she has to do voiceover in all her movies? Caveat: I haven't seen Hanna (though I want to) so I don't know if that film applies.

She has a pleasant voice so it's not all bad, but that was definitely a problem with The Lovely Bones. She is a remarkable actor but she would be well-served to do a better quality production next time out. Still a fan, Saoirse, but I'm passing on this one.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 pm
Producer

I don't remember a voice-over in Hanna. Ronan was perfectly cast in that one.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:29 am
Producer

It's hard to believe that it's worse than New Moon which was godawful. If it really is that bad then it's a shame because I like the concept of the movie.

Also, truth be told, I actually liked Breaking Dawn Part 1 and 2. But they are the only Twilight movies I liked.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
It's hard to believe that it's worse than New Moon which was godawful. If it really is that bad then it's a shame because I like the concept of the movie.

Also, truth be told, I actually liked Breaking Dawn Part 1 and 2. But they are the only Twilight movies I liked.

You actually liked those? :shock: Any particular reason why? :?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 pm
Cinematographer

I just went through Stephenie Meyer's "book-ography". Unless some fool tries to adapt The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner into a film, I think that we are all safe, provided that she never publishes Midnight Sun.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It looks like Andrew Niccol is having himself an M. Night Shyamalan career collapse. That's a damn shame in my opinion. Gattaca was a great film and Niccol seemed to have a promising start.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 pm
Second Unit Director

I have not seen either this film but I have watched the first Twilight film for about 5 min before I changed the channel (it happened to be showing on TV) and vowed not to watch any of the remaining series.

That being said, according to Wikipedia, Stephanie Meyer comes from a Mormon family and continues to practice the faith. I'm curious as to whether her religious views have influenced her approach to either The Host or the Twilight series. I suppose I'm asking because she claims to be a fan of Orson Scott Card, another writer with a Mormon background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenie_Meyer

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am
Director

Whoa, deja vu. Another Twilight-esque movie, another 6th place box office finish. Love it. Hopefully all these movies bomb.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
Whoa, deja vu. Another Twilight-esque movie, another 6th place box office finish. Love it. Hopefully all these movies bomb.

It's amazing what growing out of prepubescence will do for a person's taste in films, isn't it?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
It looks like Andrew Niccol is having himself an M. Night Shyamalan career collapse. That's a damn shame in my opinion. Gattaca was a great film and Niccol seemed to have a promising start.

I thought Gattaca was just okay but I did give it credit for being at least real science fiction as compared to what we get a lot now is futuristic action vehicles that gets called science fiction for lack of a better word. After Earth,Oblivion and Star Trek 2 all appear to be that kind of animal. I miss movies like Quatermass and the Pit or something weird like Zardoz. I look at James Cameron who is wasting all his talents on Avatar sequels instead doing something like 2001 and sigh. It is unappreciated genre in movies that just seems to get lowballed projects like this made but nothing more ambitious unless it is some big director's pet passion. The only decent ones that I can remember is Inception,Never let Me Go,Source Code and the much maligned A.I.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

I thought Gattaca was just okay but I did give it credit for being at least real science fiction as compared to what we get a lot now is futuristic action vehicles that gets called science fiction for lack of a better word. After Earth,Oblivion and Star Trek 2 all appear to be that kind of animal. I miss movies like Quatermass and the Pit or something weird like Zardoz. I look at James Cameron who is wasting all his talents on Avatar sequels instead doing something like 2001 and sigh. It is unappreciated genre in movies that just seems to get lowballed projects like this made but nothing more ambitious unless it is some big director's pet passion. The only decent ones that I can remember is Inception,Never let Me Go,Source Code and the much maligned A.I.

Zardoz eh? I think that's a film most people would like to forget(especially Sean Connery) :lol:

Inception to me was a huge waste of a good premise, it was like watching someone else play a video game.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Inception to me was a huge waste of a good premise, it was like watching someone else play a video game.

I actually love watching people play video games.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I actually love watching people play video games.

I do too, but it's still less fun then actually playing the game, and I was hoping Inception's dream sequences would be more imaginative and less like something you'd see in a video game, for example, the snow fortress sequence felt very remniscent of the snow level in Modern Warfare 2, only not very exciting. Another problem is that the action scenes were not well-shot, they were done in a confusing manner, not shaky-cam like the Bourne sequels, but just having a hard time keeping track of where everyone is at, plus the scenes don't generate much suspense or tension since they're dream sequences and we know the characters cannot die during them.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 pm
Second Unit Director

They were intense because of the weight of the situation. Whether they would literally die or not didn't really matter because they needed to stay alive to succeed. Your arguments are your own though, I certainly understand if you just weren't really entertained. I loved it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
They were intense because of the weight of the situation. Whether they would literally die or not didn't really matter because they needed to stay alive to succeed. Your arguments are your own though, I certainly understand if you just weren't really entertained. I loved it.

That brings me to another issue I had, the characters were too thin for me to really care about whether they suceeded or not. Ellen Page's character for example is nothing but a mouthpiece to rattle off the rules of the dream to the audience, she has no real personality to speak of, so I found it difficult to develop any sort of attachment towards her, likewise we don't really know much about Cobb, so I didn't care much about what his fate was at the end.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm
Second Unit Director

I was content with her character just being there to challenge Cobb, which she did.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm
Director

It's been a while since I've seen Inception. I've seen it twice, loved it both times, saw no obvious problems with it, but I may need to re-visit it and plenty of other movies in light of finally scanning through Dustin Putman's archives. I doubt my opinion will seriously change, but it'll be a fun challenge to defend it.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 am