Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 am

Movies You've Had a Major Change of Heart On 
Cinematographer

Post Movies You've Had a Major Change of Heart On
As I have stated before, I thoroughly enjoyed The Place Beyond the Pines when I first saw it at TIFF last year. I thought that it was a compelling film with a fascinating narrative, excellent performances, and truly beguiling premise. However, I saw it again just a few days ago at a local screening, and I even saw it a third time just yesterday. The more I saw the film, the more I began to notice some major flaws with it. What at first seemed like a masterful work of art now seems overlong, repetitive, and even a tad too ambitious. I would originally have given The Place Beyond the Pines ***1/2, but now I am leaning towards a lower score, perhaps even as low as *1/2. I admire a film such as this, but it still seems incredibly disappointing upon second and third viewings. Perhaps when I first saw the film, I let my expectations and general level of anticipation infringe upon my objectiveness. I admire Derek Cianfrance as a director, but seeing Pines again recently truly changed my perspective on it?

Here's the question: has anyone else here ever had such an experience? Has there been a film that you originally loved, but which you now find dull, meandering, forgettable, or just plain bad? Or is it the opposite? Has there been a film that you hated at first, but which later grew on you as time went by?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 pm
Critic

Post Re: Movies You've Had a Major Change of Heart On
When I first saw Mr. Smith Goes to Washington I thought it was an utterly atrocious film. I thought it was so full of hooey, to use its own phrase, with its battle between do-gooder kids/aww-shucks Jimmy Stewart and the political machine he's opposing that I violently gave it a *1/2 star review and told everyone how bad it was.

However, I decided to show it to my AP Government students and I saw an entirely different film. Some of the flaws I noticed are still there, but it's an incredibly dark, pessimistic film. Sure the filibuster prevails, but it essentially kills Jimmy Stewart in doing so, and not before breaking his heart and corrupting his ideals at least three separate times. Now I think it's a classic.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm
Director

For me, it would be Bob Clark's Deathdream. First time I saw it I thought it was really shitty. As I sat on it, I started to like it more. For all of its rough edges, there's something to appreciate in the film.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 pm
Producer

I enjoyed Van Helsing on a dumb fun level when it first came out, then I saw later and I recognized for the pretty awful movie that it is.

Not a major change but when I first saw The Departed, I gave it 3 stars. I liked it but didn't love it. But it's one of those movies that has grown on me since and now it's definitely a 4 star movie to me and I would even consider it among Scorsese's best.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I enjoyed Van Helsing on a dumb fun level when it first came out, then I saw later and I recognized for the pretty awful movie that it is.

Not a major change but when I first saw The Departed, I gave it 3 stars. I liked it but didn't love it. But it's one of those movies that has grown on me since and now it's definitely a 4 star movie to me and I would even consider it among Scorsese's best.

For me it was the other way around with the Departed, I enjoyed it when I first saw it, but when I took a closer look at it, it didn't hold up quite as well.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
For me it was the other way around with the Departed, I enjoyed it when I first saw it, but when I took a closer look at it, it didn't hold up quite as well.

That's how it was for me. I think it's definitely one of Scorsese's better movies, but people were describing it as in league with his canonized masterpieces and I wanted that very badly to be true. After a few viewings, I just accepted it for what it is.

This doesn't happen to me so much anymore, but for quite some time when I was a teenager, I'd have to watch movies a few times before I really started to like them. Great movies, indisputably, some of which are damn near universally likable, such as The Godfather or The Sting. I attribute this to the fact that my tastes were evolving rapidly at that time, and while I was capable of appreciating movies of quality, not every aspect of that appreciation was developing at the same rate. They needed a few chances to sink in. Parts of my brain were still mired in the world of Star Wars and Jackie Chan, which are still great, but they're the Stone Age as far as my timeline of movie appreciation is concerned.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm
Cinematographer

The first one that comes to mind is Children of Men. The first time I saw it, I was pretty "meh". I wasn't that impressed. For some reason, my wife bought it at a clearance bin and there it sat for several months. When I gave it a rewatch, I was impressed at how much it improved. I now think it's pretty great.

Another good example would be The Big Lebowski. Didn't care that much about it the first time around. Weeks and even months later, I found myself quoting a lot of lines from the film. I decided to give it another go and I enjoyed it so much more. It is one of my favorite comedies now.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Off the top of my head, Lost In Translation is the big one for me. Seeing it at 13-14 years old, having only previously watched Bill Murray's more broadly comedic work, was a baffling experience, probably because at that time I wasn't considering all that much outside of the normal issues that come along with being a middle/high school student. I revisited it when I was around 20-21, when I was worrying about the lack of direction in my life, and it really hit home hard.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Thief12 wrote:
The first one that comes to mind is Children of Men. The first time I saw it, I was pretty "meh". I wasn't that impressed. For some reason, my wife bought it at a clearance bin and there it sat for several months. When I gave it a rewatch, I was impressed at how much it improved. I now think it's pretty great.

Another good example would be The Big Lebowski. Didn't care that much about it the first time around. Weeks and even months later, I found myself quoting a lot of lines from the film. I decided to give it another go and I enjoyed it so much more. It is one of my favorite comedies now.

Children of Men blew me the fuck away. It's quite incredible

And i'm almost sure this place is sick of hearing my eternal love for The Big Lebowski

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm
Producer

When i very first watched Sideways i thought it was okay.

Now i fully define it as the reason i watch films

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 pm
Gaffer

Well, I watched quite a lot of films when I probably too young and they went completely over my head. I'm pretty sure I watched films like Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver and Blade Runner when I was about nine... I remember being totally baffled by Pulp Fiction's structure; it's embarrassing, but I genuinely remember thinking, as the end credits rolled, "that was absolutely shit".

It might be slightly controversial, given that I think there has been a bit of a backlash against it, but , originally I thought The Deer Hunter was really crap; I re-watched it a few years ago and loved it - it's probably my favourite Vietnam War film.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:

I'm not sure that really counts as a major change of heart. There are lots of films that can be enjoyed as just dumb fun, but if you really think about them are crap.

0790497 wrote:
I thought The Deer Hunter was really crap; I re-watched it a few years ago and loved it - it's probably my favourite Vietnam War film.

Not like there are a lot of competitors for "Best Vietnam War Film".

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 pm
Director

Dark Knight, Basterds, Social Network, Lord of the Rings have gone in the negative direction for me.

North by Northwest, 2001 Space Odyssey to a lesser degree among classics.

Darjeeling Limited and Watchmen are two which have gone in the positive direction. I like them the more I watch them.

For the most part though, I can never get over my initial impressions.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Dark Knight, Basterds, Social Network, Lord of the Rings have gone in the negative direction for me.

Interesting. I disagree about Basterds and LOTR. Both have improved to me with time. I wasn't that crazy about The Social Network to begin with, and it has stayed that way.

Now, The Dark Knight went from an A- to a B or B- for me. The faults of the last act are just too much to overcome, and they were shadowed by Heath Ledger's impressive performance on the first view.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I was enthralled with the "experience" of watching it on IMAX, and left the theater having enjoyed it. When it came out on dvd, I tried to watch it again, and was like "this movie is pretty dogshit." Cameron, what the fuck are you doing? For the love of god, get back to your roots and make Battle Angel. I don't give a shit about Avatar 2 and 3.

Inception

I remember thinking it was awesome in the theater. Not so much when I watched it more. Of course, watching all of the youtube videos explaining all of the mistakes, things that make no sense, etc probably had something to do with it as well.

Iron Man 2

I liked it (though definitely not as much as the first). Then upon further viewings, I just realized the only thing worth watching in it is Sam Rockwell. It is really not a good movie...but I still have high hopes for Iron Man 3 (Shane Black and all).

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm
Second Unit Director

I saw Fargo in theaters when I was very young, and didn't quite get it. I liked it a lot, but didn't understand the depth of theme or the mastery of construction (it was my first Coen experience). Most of their work can be consumed that way in that it's greatness (even when it is "just" the greatness of construction) doesn't stand up and announce itself, usually.

Like some others have said, I'm hardly ever swayed by my original viewpoint. And I do think it can come down to the film to a large degree... films like Memento and The Usual Suspects have deep flaws in logic and execution, but those don't matter much as long as you buy into it while experiencing them for the first time. On the flipside, the work of someone like Ozu or Kubrick sometimes requires multiple viewings to appreciate.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:47 pm
Critic

Count me in on the The Departed being a letdown upon subsequent viewings. I think it's fairly shallow as far as Scorsese films go and would probably only give it a *** now.

dps wrote:
Not like there are a lot of competitors for "Best Vietnam War Film".

Really? I can name you five Vietnam War movies that are terrific pieces of cinema, even if Apocalypse Now is the best

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:46 pm
Director

Cinema Paradiso, although it may have to do with the version I watched. I first watched the theatrical, shorter version. At the time I thought it was mildly touching but nothing special, and I don't "get" the kiss montage that much. Would have given it 7/10. One or two years later, I found the director's cut and feel like revisiting it again. Maybe last time I wasn't in the mood for the movie's tone, but when I sat down and watched the director's cut, it really "clicked" with me. I thought the added materials are superb, adding meanings to the whole movie in retrospect. The added conflicted feelings towards Alfredo changed the whole meaning of the montage at the end of the movie from touching to really bittersweet. After that watch, it is now 10/10 and is in my top 10 for sure.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:43 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Really? I can name you five Vietnam War movies that are terrific pieces of cinema, even if Apocalypse Now is the best

Right. Pretty much any list of top Vietnam movies includes Apocalyose Now, Platoon and The Deer Hunter. Also frequently mentioned are Full Metal Jacket and The Killing Fields. A really underrated Vietnam film is The Siege Of Firebase Gloria with R Lee Ermey.

As far as one's go that I've had a major change of heart on, a recent example is Taylor Hackford's Ray. At the time I was blown away by Jamie Foxx's performance as Ray Charles. Today I see it as a fairly conventional biopic with a fantastic lead performance.

Good Will Hunting is another one. Loved it when I saw it back in 1998. Today I see it as good not great. Some very well-written scenes and dialogue. But teh movie as a whole is more conventional than I initially realized.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Right. Pretty much any list of top Vietnam movies includes Apocalyose Now, Platoon and The Deer Hunter. Also frequently mentioned are Full Metal Jacket and The Killing Fields. A really underrated Vietnam film is The Siege Of Firebase Gloria with R Lee Ermey.

I wouldn't count The Killing Fields as a Vietnam film. Terrific movie though

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm