Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601 ... 787  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Zodiac (2007)

I've been meaning to watch this for the past 5 years, and finally got around to it on Saturday night.

I've heard it described as Fincher's masterpiece. I suppose it's easy to draw that conclusion. Like all Fincher films, it looks sublime. Actually, Zodiac looks more than sublime. Much of it is quite breathtaking. The story doesn't quite do it justice however. It's by no means bad - just fleeting between good and quite pedestrian.

I think my problem is that as a bit of a true crime addict, I don't find the Zodiac as much of an endering mystery as many others do. He's blown out of proportion by the childish use of symbolism and the fact that he has (owed to chance as much as anything else) remained a case unsolved.

A worthwhile film.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 am
Cinematographer

I'm a Fincher fan, and Zodiac is my second favorite film of his. I've always been impressed by the way Fincher builds the plot evoking in us the same obsession as Graysmith. And that's the thing, the film is not about the Zodiac Killer, but about the effect he had on this three individuals, namely Graysmith.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Critic

I found the first half of Zodiac terrific, but the movie really suffered in the second. We have to resort to the nagging wife cliche in lieu of character development, a creepy man's basement in lieu of actual tension, and of course an ending that can't resolve anything. The AV Club's #3 movie of the decade and I just didn't see it.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am
Producer

Fincher should have gone with the Alan Moore Solution To Telling Stories About Unsolved Murders tm.

1. Make shit up.
2. Freely admit that your shit is made up.
3. Make the fact that the shit is made up an integral part of the story.
4. Show the murderer from square one so that nobody in the audience cares about solving the murders.

I do think Zodiac is a terrific movie, but I have to wonder if its popular status as Fincher's masterpiece might come from him backing off from his earlier, more "MTV" style and going for something a little more stately. It's more respectable and less likely to inspire backlash, which also means that it's safer.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am
Cinematographer

The Ten Commandments (1956)

It has been at least 10 years since I watched Cecil B. Demille's blockbuster on the life of Moses. I recently picked it up on a Blu-Ray double bill with Ben-Hur for 15 bucks and I must say, the movie looks fantastic in Blu. The release is spread across 2 discs with the introduction by Demille, Overture, Intermission and Exit Music cards left in tact. I must say that having seen this movie many, many times growing up on network television, it surprised me how many of the "iconic scenes" associated with the film are contained in the final 90 minutes of this 3.5 hour epic. And yet I was still very familiar with the first 2 hours of procedings, though things do drag a bit. Guess I was paying attention in my youth. The grand scale of the film is really its selling point, with many special effects holding up very well, and others, not so much (especially some of the rear projection stuff).

While many liberties are taken with the established biblical story, that's not necessarily a negative. How many other movies based on "best selling books" have taken similar license? I would rate the overall product pretty highly but I am a sucker for "grand scale" and this also amped up my own personal nostalgia factor. My wife, who had never seen the movie, remarked during the Exodus from Egypt and the thousands are on the march, "That's not CGI." Impressive indeed. If anything would be a major negative for me, it would be that the film's last half hour is a bit disjointed from the rest of the picture and at times feels rushed and out of place. And in that the movie kind of ends on a lower note than what preceded it. Happy Passover everyone! 3.5 / 4.0

Oz The Great And Powerful (2013)

Sam Raimi's prequel shares some broad brushstrokes with his earlier Army Of Darkness, a personal favorite, of 20 years ago. The overall story was fine, but predictable in parts. The land of Oz looks better than in the original, but it's a more cynical place and not quite as "magical". That may have as much to do with the times the 2 movies were made in as much as the nature of the heroes in each. At 2 hours the running time was just about right and I didn't have any major issues with the performances. Oz The Great And Powerful won't have the longevity of the original, but it is still a noble effort at expanding the mythology. 3.0 / 4.0

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)

Overall enjoyed this story of a reporter and his 2 interns who go to investigate a crackpot in Washington state who places a classified ad looking for a sidekick to join him in a time traveling adventure. "Must bring own weapons." As the team gets closer to learning more about this nut's plans, they also begin to recognize what the march of time means to themselves, both in terms of what they've lost in the past, what it means to live in the present, and what they can do to shape their futures. It's a brisk 86 minutes which is just about right for the story to hit all of its marks. 3.0 / 4.0

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am
Second Unit Director

Argo (2012)
This year’s Best Picture-winner at the Oscars is an espionage thriller based on the so-called „Canadian Caper“, a covert rescue mission during the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979/1980.
There’s no need to delve into a movie as recent and high-profile as ‘Argo’. It appears to be critical consensus that ‘Argo’ is a very good movie and I have little to add to that. I was particularly impressed by the convincing period detail, the pacing, the understated comedy, some of the performances (Alan Arkin, John Goodman) and the way director Ben Affleck creates suspense at the end of the movie. Speaking of Ben Affleck, as the director and star of the movie, it must have been tempting to make his character more heroic. It is remarkable that he has resisted this temptation and underplays the character. Affleck lets the other actors shine when he’s on screen at lets the plot take centre stage. Well done. I've read that the historical accuracy of 'Argo' has been questioned, but the basic facts seem to be correct and, while the movie may indeed embellish the role of the CIA to the detriment of the role of the Canadian government, deviations from history are covered by dramatic license, in my opinon. 8/10

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
Argo (2012)
This year’s Best Picture-winner at the Oscars is an espionage thriller based on the so-called „Canadian Caper“, a covert rescue mission during the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979/1980.
There’s no need to delve into a movie as recent and high-profile as ‘Argo’. It appears to be critical consensus that ‘Argo’ is a very good movie and I have little to add to that. I was particularly impressed by the convincing period detail, the pacing, the understated comedy, some of the performances (Alan Arkin, John Goodman) and the way director Ben Affleck creates suspense at the end of the movie. Speaking of Ben Affleck, as the director and star of the movie, it must have been tempting to make his character more heroic. It is remarkable that he has resisted this temptation and underplays the character. Affleck lets the other actors shine when he’s on screen at lets the plot take centre stage. Well done. I've read that the historical accuracy of 'Argo' has been questioned, but the basic facts seem to be correct and, while the movie may indeed embellish the role of the CIA to the detriment of the role of the Canadian government, deviations from history are covered by dramatic license, in my opinon. 8/10

I liked the movie too. I don't have a problem downplaying the Canadians' roles (well, not too much of a problem at least) but I do take issue just from a cinematic standpoint about how overdone the climax was. Police cars on the runway...really?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
Argo (2012)
... I've read that the historical accuracy of 'Argo' has been questioned, but the basic facts seem to be correct and, while the movie may indeed embellish the role of the CIA to the detriment of the role of the Canadian government, deviations from history are covered by dramatic license, in my opinon. 8/10

I liked the movie too. I don't have a problem downplaying the Canadians' roles (well, not too much of a problem at least) but I do take issue just from a cinematic standpoint about how overdone the climax was. Police cars on the runway...really?

Yes, that's true, particularly because the movie portrayed the revolutionaries as not having control over many institutions of the state so the sudden involvement of police cars didn't strike the right chord. Quite apart from the "action movie-ness" of this scene. Still, this one misstep didn't impair my overall enjoyment of 'Argo'.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Zodiac... Fincher's masterpiece? ...really? I always felt it was one of his weaker efforts. Social Network, Fight Club, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button are all leagues ahead of it. The only weaker effort of his that I've seen would be Alien 3.
-Jeremy

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Anaconda 1997 Last night I had 1.5 hours carved from my life. It could’ve been worse. The movie was on TV for 2 hours and I found something else to do (dishes) before suffering through the whole thing. There was nothing else on even remotely worth watching. Jon Voight, J-Lo, Erik Stoltz, Owen Wilson, Ice-Cube (actually a pretty decent cast) venture off in to the Amazon where they encounter a giant snake. Carnage ensues. Jon Voight is just freaking bizarre in this role. He’s like half pirate, half hillbilly, half mad scientist, half Aussie-hunter-guy-from-Jurassic Park . That adds up to about 2.5x more of JV than I could stand. Why does he have an accent again?
This thing couldn’t have been filmed as anything more than a B-Movie or perhaps even a C-movie (Is there such a thing?) offering. Maybe I needed to be drunk for it to work. 20 years after Jaws, the formula should be in place. My recommendation is that if you’re dating a girl and she owns a copy of Anaconda, you need to take evasive action.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Zodiac... Fincher's masterpiece? ...really? I always felt it was one of his weaker efforts. Social Network, Fight Club, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button are all leagues ahead of it. The only weaker effort of his that I've seen would be Alien 3.
-Jeremy

Next to Benjamin Button, I found Zodiac to be Fincher's weakest film, it was too long and poorly paced and I found it difficult to really care about the characters. I honestly would take Alien 3 over that film any day of the week.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm
Director

thered47 wrote:
-Jeremy

I'd rank Seven and FIght Club ahead of Zodiac. But I'd rank it third on his overall list ahead of SN and GWTDT, slightly ahead of Panic Room and The Game and WAY ahead of Benjamin Button and Alien 3.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm
Cinematographer

thered47 wrote:
-Jeremy

To each his own. I would put all of those below Zodiac. Most notably, Social Network and Benjamin Button have been his weakest efforts for me.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Ken wrote:
Fincher should have gone with the Alan Moore Solution To Telling Stories About Unsolved Murders tm.

1. Make shit up.
2. Freely admit that your shit is made up.
3. Make the fact that the shit is made up an integral part of the story.

The problem with this is that I'm pretty sure Authur Leigh Allen did it.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 am
Producer

Maybe he did. You could still build a lovely work of speculative fiction around him, though, notwithstanding his position as the most likely suspect. All you'd have to do is place emotional honesty and artistic invention at the same level of importance as the known facts.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 am
Director

Heathers

Man, I forgot how dark this movie was. For those unawares, it's about a high school where suicide becomes the "in" thing, but in reality, it's just a pair of students committing murders. Oh, and it is a comedy. I'm surprised this ever got the green light; there's no way in hell it would get made today.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Heathers

Man, I forgot how dark this movie was. For those unawares, it's about a high school where suicide becomes the "in" thing, but in reality, it's just a pair of students committing murders. Oh, and it is a comedy. I'm surprised this ever got the green light; there's no way in hell it would get made today.

Yeah, that sure was one surreal film, i'm surprised it even got greenlit back then. The film is rather unrealistic in several aspects, for example, the one guy that fires a gun filled with blanks in a cafeteria and barely gets any sort of punishment for it, even back then you'd think he would've gotten expelled or suspended at the very least for doing something like that.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 pm
Director

Argo

Not bad, not quite the rowsing crowd pleaser that it pretends to be. Certain aspects of the story feel rushed, like the development of the fake movie. Others feel obligatory, like the unrealistic obstacle of Kyle Chandler cancelling the mission at the last minute. Affleck pushes the celebratory exhalation almost as far as Peter Jackson did with Return of the King, but it really doesn't feel earned here. As a whole, the film left me hollow and indifferent, though it was definitely entertaining while I watched it. A little like a good TV movie, especially the acting, but that point's been mentioned so many times I feel silly bringing it up now. Affleck doesn't have a visual style or aesthetic ambition. But still, okay movie.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
ArgoAffleck doesn't have a visual style or aesthetic ambition. But still, okay movie.

I'm with you that it's an okay movie and not much more than that, but I don't think a lack of visual aesthetic goals is quite fair. Maybe he fails at them, but I feel like he clearly (as has been pointed out) aimed for a distinct All the President's Men/Parallax View aesthetic (with some "homage" shots from the former included). Again, maybe he failed miserably, but I think the ambition was pretty clearly there.

I saw Olympus Has Fallen. It was alright, and that's about all I can muster about it. It was nifty to see a film so distinctly 90s in its approach (right down to the American flag behind the opening title and the repeated drumline tension-builder), but it plays as a lost 90s action film that didn't particularly deserve to not be lost. I don't think people are making a bit enough deal about how awful the cinematography is... shot by Conrad W. Hall (apparently no relation to the late great Conrad L. Hall), it's needlessly way too dark for large stretches, and even the "lighted" scenes are oddly overcast (and not in a stylistic way). It took me out of the film several times. Still, nice to see Johnny Tran has stepped up his bad-guy ways and Butler does nail the accent (although he's whispering our shouting most of the time, which makes it immeasurably easier). If you're into this sort of thing I wouldn't totally discourage you from seeing it, but given the relatively enthusiastic praise it got in certain circles leading up to my viewing of it, I was a tad let down.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:23 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
ArgoAffleck doesn't have a visual style or aesthetic ambition. But still, okay movie.

I'm with you that it's an okay movie and not much more than that, but I don't think a lack of visual aesthetic goals is quite fair. Maybe he fails at them, but I feel like he clearly (as has been pointed out) aimed for a distinct All the President's Men/Parallax View aesthetic (with some "homage" shots from the former included). Again, maybe he failed miserably, but I think the ambition was pretty clearly there.

I saw Olympus Has Fallen. It was alright, and that's about all I can muster about it. It was nifty to see a film so distinctly 90s in its approach (right down to the American flag behind the opening title and the repeated drumline tension-builder), but it plays as a lost 90s action film that didn't particularly deserve to not be lost. I don't think people are making a bit enough deal about how awful the cinematography is... shot by Conrad W. Hall (apparently no relation to the late great Conrad L. Hall), it's needlessly way too dark for large stretches, and even the "lighted" scenes are oddly overcast (and not in a stylistic way). It took me out of the film several times. Still, nice to see Johnny Tran has stepped up his bad-guy ways and Butler does nail the accent (although he's whispering our shouting most of the time, which makes it immeasurably easier). If you're into this sort of thing I wouldn't totally discourage you from seeing it, but given the relatively enthusiastic praise it got in certain circles leading up to my viewing of it, I was a tad let down.

I'll admit the film did get a tad dark at times, but I still wouldn't call the cinematography "awful" by any means.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15734 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601 ... 787  Next