Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:12 pm

This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 29, 2013 
Cinematographer

Post This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 29, 2013
Great news on the Rotten front. I told Doug Norrie, the writer of the original This Rotten Week column on Cinema Blend, about our contest, and he wants to take part. We'll start him off with the average of our scores, and I'll add on points each week beginning next week. If we predict the Tomatometer score for movie that he overlooks, I'll either tack on our total average to his score or ask him myself for his thoughts.

Now, without any further ado, here is this week's edition of This Rotten Week. As the first quarter of 2013 comes to a close, we predict the Tomatometer scores for G.I. Joe: Retaliation, The Host, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, The Place Beyond the Pines, and Room 237.

1. G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 58%
I will admit that I was originally not enamored with G.I. Joe: Retaliation, but based on the Tomatometer score thus far, perhaps I was wrong. For the most part, this looks like a tremendous improvement over the original, featuring a cast that includes "The Rock", Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis. Accounting for the fact that the Tomatometer score will probably go down as the week progresses, I still think that most critics will regard this sequel as nothing more than a big-budget popcorn flick. I'm not sure if it will stay "fresh", but it probably won't end up entirely "rotten" either. I'll stick to the middle of the road. 58% for G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

2. The Host - 37%
This is one of the week's hardest films to predict, although I still believe that it will end up on the far-left side of the Tomatometer. The cast is impressive, featuring stars such as William Hurt and Diane Kruger, as well as up-and-comers Saoirse Ronan and Max Irons. Just a month ago, Jeremy Irons, father to Max, starred in the lackluster Beautiful Creatures, another adaptation of a YA novel. This time, Stephanie Meyers' work is making the transition to the big screen, and the result looks very "meh". It lacks the "fangirl"-isms of the Twilight films and looks very forgettable when looked upon as an entry in the science fiction genre. In the end, I think that critics will agree. 37% for The Host.

3. Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor - 19%
If you could issue pink slips to five directors working today, who would you choose? I have a feeling that the majority of us would place Tyler Perry somewhere on our lists. Outside of a supporting role in Star Trek and his directorial outlier of I Can Do Bad All By Myself, Perry is one of the most hated filmmakers of the modern era. His films are idiotic, his characters are stereotypical, his writing is risible, his direction is sloppy, and most of his projects are either ridiculous, contrived, despicable, or a combination of the three. Nonetheless, Perry's films, especially the ones in which he cross-dresses as the infamous Madea, make millions at the box office. This time, Perry explores the world of marriage counselors and, apparently, their confessions. He has tasked an abhorrent reality television star whose name is unworthy of mention in this article with the herculean task of acting. The result will probably be a disaster. 19% for Temptation: Confessions of a Really Long Title, and I'm being generous.

P.S. Vexer, if you are reading this, what are your thoughts on Tyler Perry? Just curious.

4. The Place Beyond the Pines - 81%
I have already gone on at great length about my admiration for The Place Beyond the Pines before, so I might as well cut to the chase and describe how I think this film will do. Director Derek Cianfrance's (Blue Valentine - 88%) second major feature is a story about sons and fathers, fate and consequence, choices and destiny. Ryan Gosling, who is quickly becoming one of his generation's finest actors, plays a motorcyclist and reluctant criminal whose life story becomes intertwined with that of cop Bradley Cooper. What follows is one of the year's better films. 81% for The Place Beyond the Pines.

5. Room 237 - 90%
This was just a fun pick on my part. Room 237 is a documentary all about the various conspiracy theories based on Stanley Kubrick's masterful The Shining. Clever, intelligent, and brimming with wit, it is one of the year's more enjoyable cinematic endeavors, as documentarian Rodney Ascher interviews numerous individuals who discuss the hidden themes and messages behind the film. Very entertaining watch. 90% for Room 237.

Another up-and-down week for the Rotten Watch. My prediction for The Sapphires was spot-on, although I generously will not give myself a 100% deduction for guessing it correctly. (The score really didn't change over the course of the week.) Admission (Predicted: 51%) ended up with a 44%, lower than I thought it would, while The Croods (Predicted: 71%) fell in at 64%, for another solid prediction. Meanwhile, Olympus Has Fallen (Predicted: 39%) was just out of range with a 51%. I hated the movie, although I know that everyone else on here thoroughly enjoyed it. So, grab your pitchforks and your torches, my friends. It's time to lynch a heretic.

Since the first quarter of 2013 is over, I want to know what your favorite movie of the year has been so far. Furthermore, I will offer everyone on here a 10% deduction if they offer up their thoughts on this competition, as well as any suggestions for improvements. How do you think I've been running it so far?

Next week, we predict the Tomatometer numbers for Jurassic Park: An IMAX 3D Experience, Evil Dead, and Trance. See you then.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm
Auteur

Post Re: This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 29, 2013
Personally, I don't agree with Perry being one of the most hated filmmakers, at least not on the level of say Uwe Boll, as his films do make quite a bit of money, so obviously enough people like him even if he is very divisive even in his own community. I think he's made some good films(i'll admit, I laughed out loud at the trailer for Peeples) and some average to mediocre ones, though he definitely needs to retire Madea already.

G.I. Joe Retaliation-59%
The Host-45%
Temptation-36%
Place Beyond the Pines-70%
Room 237-80%

Favorite movie of the year so far? That's a tough one, I guess i'd have to say Olympus was my favorite so far.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

G.I. Joe Retaliation-52%
The Host-41%
Temptation-26%
Place Beyond the Pines-83%
Room 237-93%

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 pm
Producer

I haven't seen a single Tyler Perry movie. A few of them look okay, but still haven't seen them. I did see Alex Cross and it was surprisingly decent and Tyler Perry was actually OKAY in the movie. I don't know how he is as a director, but he's competent enough actor.

I think the thing that always turned me off from him was the Madea character. With a couple of exceptions, men in drag is not funny to me.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation: 61%
The Hose: 58%
Temptation: 21%
Place Beyond the Pines: 80%
Room 237: 92%

What the hell was Tyler Perry thinking when he cast Kim Kardashian in his movie anyway?!!!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:57 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I haven't seen a single Tyler Perry movie. A few of them look okay, but still haven't seen them. I did see Alex Cross and it was surprisingly decent and Tyler Perry was actually OKAY in the movie. I don't know how he is as a director, but he's competent enough actor.

I think the thing that always turned me off from him was the Madea character. With a couple of exceptions, men in drag is not funny to me.

What the hell was Tyler Perry thinking when he cast Kim Kardashian in his movie anyway?!!!

Eh, i'm different to Kim, so I don't really have a problem with casting her, at the very least, she can't be as bad of an actress as Beyonce.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 pm
Cinematographer

With a handful of exceptions, models, singers, athletes, and anyone associated with Twilight should stop acting immediately.

I think that Gary Oldman covers all of the bases in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaWo-BlBjs.
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Eh, i'm different to Kim, so I don't really have a problem with casting her, at the very least, she can't be as bad of an actress as Beyonce.

Either way, talentless people should stay out of movies.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
With a handful of exceptions, models, singers, athletes, and anyone associated with Twilight should stop acting immediately.

I think that Gary Oldman covers all of the bases in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaWo-BlBjs.
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Either way, talentless people should stay out of movies.

Kristen Stewart is actually a pretty good actress outside the Twilight series(especially in The Runaways).

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm
Cinematographer

G.I. Joe: Retaliation: 35%
The Host: 63%
Temptation: 15%
Place Beyond the Pines:77%
Room 237: 87%

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

There are actually a lot of good actors in the Twilight movies. Anna Kendrick earned a well deserved Oscar nomination for her work in Up in the Air. Many of the adult actors are solid actors. Especially Billy Burke.

I also agree with Vexer that Kristen Stewart is a good actress outside of the Twilight movies. Actually, I don't even hate Rob Pattinson as much as I use to. I thought he was OKAY in Water for Elephants.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 pm
Second Unit Director

G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 40
The Host - 40
Temptation - 20
Place Beyond the Pines - 80
Room 237 - 80

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am
Cinematographer

Please make sure to post your predictions sometime before Tuesday. (I think that I will make this the official rule from now on.) It becomes much easier to predict a film's final Tomatometer score later on in the week.

Perhaps I should have stated this differently: none of the main stars from the Twilight films should pursue a career in acting. As for K-Stew (did I really just write that?), I really need to see her give a terrific performance before I actually decide that she is a great actress.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:24 pm
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Please make sure to post your predictions sometime before Tuesday. (I think that I will make this the official rule from now on.) It becomes much easier to predict a film's final Tomatometer score later on in the week.

Perhaps I should have stated this differently: none of the main stars from the Twilight films should pursue a career in acting. As for K-Stew (did I really just write that?), I really need to see her give a terrific performance before I actually decide that she is a great actress.

Did you ever see The Runaways?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Sean wrote:

Did you ever see The Runaways?

I did, and I found it very "meh". I enjoyed Adventureland, however.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 pm