Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:37 am

Taxes 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Taxes
Unke wrote:
Sorry, just cannot resist ...

I concede that I don't know much about the tax system in the United States, but as someone who works in the field of taxes professionally, I find the amount of misinformation and sheer ignorance expressed in many posts in this thread ... amusing. I mean, why even discuss a topic at length if you actually don't have a clue about it?

Did you read the original topic? I asked people for there thoughts on taxes and the proper structure. If most people in this thread are ignorant, why don't you enlighten us.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am
Producer

Post Re: Taxes
Johnny Larue wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Quote:
One last thought on corporate taxes: what incentive, if ever, do major corporations over here have when they enjoy about a 10% corporate tax rate in countries such as Ireland, Switzerland, etc? There are office buildings over there, with hundreds of offices, of different companies. Google has one office in the building, and 1 person on the phone in that office. However, that is where their corporate "headquarters" are, and they file corporate taxes in that country. This saves them tens of billions a year. We have to change our tax structure, or such companies will never bring that money back over here

Welcome to race to the bottom. Over the coming years expect to see friendly governments fighting to undercut each other and lure wealth creators back with lower taxes.

It should be noted that this is not just an internaional phenomonon. Here in the US, individual states continue to try and incentivize companies to move from one state to another via tax policy, grants and outright bribery. And at the local level, community will happily screw over community. Locally a few years ago, our city of Milwaukee officials crowed about having the global headquarters of Manpower Staffing moving in to the city. Never mind that the old HQ was in the suburb of Glendale about 8 miles away. Net impact to the metropolitan job market and economy (outside of building a fancy new HQ and shuttering the old one): zero.

It's an issue because the wealthy find it easier to diversify their assets and pay taxes in preferable tax-domains. Leaving the plebs to pay the taxes that fund the infrastructure to support the rich. I don't know how much of a problem this is in the US, but it's a bit of an issue here.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 am