Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

Episode #10: A Host of Possibilities 
Cinematographer

Post Episode #10: A Host of Possibilities
The godawful first quarter of the 2013 movie season draws to a close this week, as James turns in reviews for The Place Beyond the Pines, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and The Host.

1. The Place Beyond the Pines - ***1/2
This might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I honestly hope that James gives his first ***1/2 rating of the year to director Derek Cianfrance's (Blue Valentine - ***1/2) second feature. The cast, which includes Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes, Rose Byrne, and Ray Liotta, is impressive to say the least, and having seen the film at TIFF last year, I can attest to its brilliance. Some critics have criticized the film's narrative and drawn-out length, yet I still think that James will look through these mild flaws and give Pines a glowing recommendation. I hope he does. The Place Beyond the Pines joins Side Effects, Stoker, and 56 Up as one of the few standouts in this otherwise dismal 2013. Three and a half stars out of four for The Place Beyond the Pines. I hope.

2. G.I. Joe: Retaliation - **
Why this film exists, I have no idea. Nonetheless, after being pushed back from its original summertime release date, G.I. Joe: Retaliation joins 2013's nearly endless list of forgettable titles. Granted, I have yet to see, but still. Does anyone honestly think that this movie will actually be good? Sure, Channing Tatum might be less annoying than he was four years ago, but the film itself looks like another brainless thriller (read: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra). This time, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson stars as Roadblock, while Bruce Willis joins the mix as General Joe Colton. Surprising, all four of the film's early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are "Fresh", but does that really mean much? I expect that James will hand out the same grade to this one as he did to the original. Two stars out of four for G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

3. The Host - **1/2
From the director of The Truman Show (***) comes the latest adaptation of a Stephenie Meyer novel. Saoirse Ronan (Hannah - ***1/2) plays Melanie Stryder, whose body is possessed by a parasitic alien known as a "soul". Eventually, this leech thingy goes ga-ga for Stryder's family, and the two set off to save her loved ones. Yes, I got this plot summary off of Wikipedia. I read the book about five years, and the only thing that I can recall about it is its general awfulness. I'm fairly confident that James will give this film **1/2, the same rating he assigned to three out of the five Twilight movies and the recent Beautiful Creatures. We'll see. Two and a half stars out of four for The Host.

Last week, James didn't review The Croods, so that title won't count. I was off, once again, on two out of the week's three releases. I got Admission right, but I was off on Olympus Has Fallen by an entire point. I also concentrated on my hatred of Spring Breakers when I predicted James' review and ended up being off by a half-point. Another poor week.

No one came with an original title for this week's thread, so I have no choice but to up the ante. Whoever can come with a really good one for next week's thread will receive one point in place of a poor prediction. How does this work? Let's say that Vexer comes up with a creative title that I like for the thread. However, Vexer's predictions for the week are as follows:

1. The Place Beyond the Pines - *** (Actual: ***1/2)
2. G.I. Joe: Retaliation - *** (Actual: **)
3. The Host - ** (Actual: **1/2)

Vexer's worst prediction would be the one he made for G.I. Joe, given the one-point difference. Rather than take off a point from his score, I would reward Vex with one point. However, his other poor predictions will still count. As a result, he will lose a half-point for Pines, gain a full point for Joe, and lose a half-point for Host. The one point will only replace his worst prediction.

So, set forth and create a great title for next week's thread. Don't forget to check the leaderboard for the latest scores, and as always, tune in next week, when we predict James' numbers for Trance, The Evil Dead, and 56 Up (again).

Last edited by Sean on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:23 pm
Producer

Post Re: Week #13: A Host of Possibilities
I am very excited to see Retaliation, it dosen't look "brainless" to me at all, it looks really fun. I was SOOOO pissed when it got delayed last year, so i'm grateful to finally be able to see it next week.

Place Beyond The Pines-***
G.I. Joe Retaliation-**1/2
The Host-**

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I am very excited to see Retaliation, it dosen't look "brainless" to me at all, it looks really fun. I was SOOOO pissed when it got delayed last year, so i'm grateful to finally be able to see it next week.

The Host-**

So, no title suggestion?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Place Beyond The Pines-***1/2
The Host-**1/2

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:00 pm
Producer

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The Host-**

So, no title suggestion?

Whoops, overlooked that part. How about "Tranced Into Submission"?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 pm
Cinematographer

Place Beyond The Pines: 3.5 (it does sounds a bit rambling/unfocussed, maybe a bit like A River Runs Through It???, 3 wouldn't surprise me)
G.I. Joe Retaliation: 2.5 (early word is that it is better than the first one, for what that's worth)
The Host: 2.5 (well, it's meant to be be better than Twilight).

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm
Second Unit Director

The Place Beyond the Pines - ***1/2
G.I. 2 - **
The Host - **

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:12 am
Cinematographer

The Place Beyond The Pines: ***
G.I. Joe 2 - *1/2
The Host - **1/2

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Place Beyond the Pines-- ***1/2
GI Joe 2-- **
The Host-- **1/2

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

The Place Beyond the Pines - ***
G.I Joe: Retaliation - **1/2
The Host - **1/2

Title: 56 Evil Trances

Last edited by sunshineisles2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

The Place Beyond the Pines - 3.0
GI Joe 2 - 2.0
The Host - 2.0

Title: The Evil Dead Up Again

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 pm
Director

The Place Beyond the Pines: *** 1/2