Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 am

So, When is 2013 Going to Get Good? 
Director

Post Re: So, When is 2013 Going to Get Good?
I haven't presumed anything, it's a fact that most of the superhero films last year made several top 10 lists on this site. Wasn't talking about Sean in particular.

Even if I am prejudiced in the opposite direction, that doesn't change the point. It's not big budgets I have a problem with. I'm pumped for Man of Steel. It's the obvious disconnect I'm seeing between the director of an event movie and the action sequences in an event movie. This has never been a problem with Snyder, so there's no reason to assume it will be this time. But does anyone on here really believe that the action in Avengers represents Joss Whedon's singular vision? It feels to me more like getting a coke from the vending machine. Action as prepackaged product, provided by Marvel incorporated. Bullet to the Head's action may seem low key in comparison, but it certainly doesn't feel like a corporate product.

The action in Resident Evil is Anderson's singular vision, like it or not. And he put his sweat into crafting those sequences, shot by shot. That's what I enjoy watching. Characters, developed or not, are not real. But Anderson's hard work IS real, it's a tangible thing. People on here may not be hateful toward lower budget action flicks, but the way people are describing Bullet to the Head as forgettable just proves the prejudice. Forgettable in terms of production - yeah, that I agree with. But I'm the kind of guy who watches my favorite movies over and over again, pretty much infinitely and pretty consistently. So the way I'd judge Bullet would be more like, is the action still entertaining after multiple viewings, do the performances retain their energy, etc. Bullet holds up extremely well in that regard.

Out of the Past is pretty forgettable after one viewing. But it resonates.

One last thing I'd assert is that Looper is not really an action movie. It's a sci-fi concept thriller which happens to include some shooting, but it doesn't build itself on action sequences. It doesn't showcase action. Nothing wrong with that, Rian Johnson can do what he wants. But it's not even trying to be much of an action movie, so why defend it as such.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Bullet to the Head's action may seem low key in comparison, but it certainly doesn't feel like a corporate product...The action in Resident Evil is Anderson's singular vision, like it or not. And he put his sweat into crafting those sequences, shot by shot. That's what I enjoy watching. Characters, developed or not, are not real. But Anderson's hard work IS real, it's a tangible thing...People on here may not be hateful toward lower budget action flicks, but the way people are describing Bullet to the Head as forgettable just proves the prejudice.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Bullet to the Head's action may seem low key in comparison, but it certainly doesn't feel like a corporate product...The action in Resident Evil is Anderson's singular vision, like it or not. And he put his sweat into crafting those sequences, shot by shot. That's what I enjoy watching. Characters, developed or not, are not real. But Anderson's hard work IS real, it's a tangible thing...People on here may not be hateful toward lower budget action flicks, but the way people are describing Bullet to the Head as forgettable just proves the prejudice.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think perhaps you made the right decision here.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm
Director

Quote:
I would like to point out that, having seen all of Paul W.S. Anderson's films, I can safely say that he is a bumbling neanderthal.

Yet you still watched all of them? Even I haven't seen all his movies, and I'm a fan.

It is my personal belief that "Walter Hill can do better" is not a valid criticism from anyone. Most people have never seen a Walter Hill movie, or if they have, don't remember or can't recall his name, or wouldn't connect Bullet to a movie they saw 30 years ago anyway. I heard his name for the first time 6 months ago; he's one of the more obscure talents of his generation. The point being, someone who isn't familiar with Hill would probably find Bullet a lot fresher than you do. I showed it to someone who hadn't seen any Hill, he said he thought the style was off the chain and unusually energetic. That's the only perspective I care about. Movies make money off of people like him, not off people like us. None of us are even close to being "average" moviegoers, not even Vexer, the average moviegoer doesn't see as many movies as he does, not even 1/10th as many as he does. I feel the need to remember that most moviewatchers are not like you or me. I think about that when I judge a movie.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:27 am
Director

Quote:
I heard his name for the first time 6 months ago; he's one of the more obscure talents of his generation.

seriously? maybe he's obscure to your generation, but not mine. his movies did pretty well(and he wrote Alien, I would have thought you would have heard of him from that alone)

The rest of your post is odd, guess you can excuse any weak effort of any director by saying 'its a good movie if you haven't seen any of their other movies.'

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I too am looking forward to Olympus Has Fallen, the only real bad film Fuqua has directed was King Arthur, and I blame the screenplay moreso then him.

After seeing Olympus Has Fallen I find myself thinking about Fuqua's wok. In some ways his main counterpart is F Gary Gray. Both got their start in music videos and both tend to make genre pics that for the most part rise above the conventional. Both have misfired on occasion (Fuqua wit King Arthur, Gray with A Man Apart although studio meddling with both films also contributed to that). But on the whole, while not auteurs, they're both good examples of directors for hire who manage to go above and beyond.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I find myself thinking about Fuqua's wok

But what kind does he use?

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I feel like I've enjoyed Fuqua's style much more than Gray's, but I think it's a pretty fair comparasin.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:56 pm
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I too am looking forward to Olympus Has Fallen, the only real bad film Fuqua has directed was King Arthur, and I blame the screenplay moreso then him.

After seeing Olympus Has Fallen I find myself thinking about Fuqua's wok. In some ways his main counterpart is F Gary Gray. Both got their start in music videos and both tend to make genre pics that for the most part rise above the conventional. Both have misfired on occasion (Fuqua wit King Arthur, Gray with A Man Apart although studio meddling with both films also contributed to that). But on the whole, while not auteurs, they're both good examples of directors for hire who manage to go above and beyond.

I thought A Man Apart was pretty good, wasn't really that big on "Be Cool" though.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 pm
Gaffer

2103 will get good when Evil Dead gets released

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Django McClane wrote:

90 years?! Lame!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 pm
Second Unit Director

How do I describe 2013 so far.......?

Meh.

That said, there are films later this year that I'll be checking out, like Star Trek: Into Darkness and possibly Iron Man 3 (I didn't like the 2nd film, so this one has to be spectacular to pique my interest). Otherwise, it looks like 2013 is another year where my primary sources of entertainment are gaming and television (just over a week until Game of Thrones season 3 starts).

As for the whole "taste in films" line of conversation: just accept that each of us will have differing tastes in films, though there are some that many of converge on in opinion. I don't bother Vex about his taste because I respect his right to his own opinion no matter how much it differs from mine. That doesn't mean that I won't argue with him on film topics, however.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
How do I describe 2013 so far.......?

Meh.

That said, there are films later this year that I'll be checking out, like Star Trek: Into Darkness and possibly Iron Man 3 (I didn't like the 2nd film, so this one has to be spectacular to pique my interest). Otherwise, it looks like 2013 is another year where my primary sources of entertainment are gaming and television (just over a week until Game of Thrones season 3 starts).

As for the whole "taste in films" line of conversation: just accept that each of us will have differing tastes in films, though there are some that many of converge on in opinion. I don't bother Vex about his taste because I respect his right to his own opinion no matter how much it differs from mine. That doesn't mean that I won't argue with him on film topics, however.

That's cool, I don't mind the the occasional argument :mrgreen:

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:44 am
Gaffer

patrick wrote:
Django McClane wrote:

90 years?! Lame!

I meant 2013 haha

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:07 pm
Director

Quote:
guess you can excuse any weak effort of any director by saying 'its a good movie if you haven't seen any of their other movies.'

I'm just trying to imagine Hill's own mindset, I feel it's something close to that. It figures that any director eventually becomes tired of trying to measure up to himself.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 am
Gaffer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
guess you can excuse any weak effort of any director by saying 'its a good movie if you haven't seen any of their other movies.'

I'm just trying to imagine Hill's own mindset, I feel it's something close to that. It figures that any director eventually becomes tired of trying to measure up to himself.

Unless you're Tarantino

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm
Director

Quote:
Unless you're Tarantino

Can't argue with that.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
(just over a week until Game of Thrones season 3 starts).

I hope you're not too attached to anybody.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 am
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
(just over a week until Game of Thrones season 3 starts).

I hope you're not too attached to anybody.

There are no minor characters to whom I'm deeply invested in, if that's who you're referring to. As far as major character demises: having read the books, I already have a pretty good idea as to whose funerals to prepare for this season. ;)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm