Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Easton, MD
Post One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Seems like it could be a fun gimmick. Try to keep them from being too obvious, and maybe we'll get some good recommendations for each other.


(J)acob's Ladder: A wonderfully atmospheric and twisty mindbender of a horror film, it somehow hasn't ascended into the horror pantheon even though it richly deserves to.
(A)natomy of a Murder: I finally found a courtroom drama that captures the inherent drama of a man on trial for his life without resorting to absurd, intelligence-insulting gimmicks. And its name is Anatomy of a Murder
(M)an Who Would Be King, The: It's a rousing adventure story that doubles as a combination ode to/satire of imperialism that works on every level. Also great score, for those who like such things.
(E)ight Men Out: A baseball movie that's good even if you don't like baseball (though I really, really do) this story of the rigged 1919 World Series is always interesting and very well cast
(S)alton Sea, The: Better than the Tarantino clone it initially appears to be, with style for days and a towering performance by Vincent D'Onofrio as the villain, it's something you won't regret watching.

(K)iss of the Spider Woman: Perfectly acted, skillfully directed, and never less than fascinating, it should easily have won Best Picture over Out of Africa.
(U)nder Suspicion [1991]: A skillful neo-noir that no one saw, Under Suspicion isn't deep but it's a fun film to puzzle out
(N)owhere in Africa: One of the oddball winners for Best Foreign Language Film, considering no one really saw it, but a wonderful story of a girl moving to and growing up in Africa.
(Z): Are there people out there who haven't seen Z yet? You must listen to me and see it! Now!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 355
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

My list is exactly what you aren't looking for here. I'm not quite at a place where I can pull obscure movie titles right out of my ass. Nevertheless, these are all movies I'd recommend to people, unfortunately they've generally already gotten a recommendation from someone else.

Lemme know if you guys know any good movies starting with a Y.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1517
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
JFK
Evil Dead 2
From Hell
Friday

Waking Life
Ice Storm
Love Jones (one of my fave cinematic love stories)
Drugstore Cowboy
Empire Of The Sun
Raging Bull

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1517
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Gedmud wrote:
Lemme know if you guys know any good movies starting with a Y.


Sure. Young Frankenstein.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Gedmud wrote:
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

My list is exactly what you aren't looking for here. I'm not quite at a place where I can pull obscure movie titles right out of my ass. Nevertheless, these are all movies I'd recommend to people, unfortunately they've generally already gotten a recommendation from someone else.

Lemme know if you guys know any good movies starting with a Y.


You Cant Count on Me
The Year My Voice Broke
Young Adult
Young Frankenstein

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1517
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
JamesKunz wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

My list is exactly what you aren't looking for here. I'm not quite at a place where I can pull obscure movie titles right out of my ass. Nevertheless, these are all movies I'd recommend to people, unfortunately they've generally already gotten a recommendation from someone else.

Lemme know if you guys know any good movies starting with a Y.


You Cant Count on Me
The Year My Voice Broke
Young Adult
Young Frankenstein


Your Friends And Neighbors

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 639
Location: The Desert
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Adventures of Robin Hood, The - Classic Hollywood doesn't get much better than this, and Errol Flynn's giddy portrayal of the title character never fails in making me smile.
Night and the City - Probably one of the greatest noirs ever made. It's certainly high on my list.
Day of the Jackal, The - Few thrillers are as patient and absorbing as this 1973 Fred Zinnemann classic.
Re-Animator - Goofy, gloriously violent schlock, and a perennial Halloween favorite.
Elevator to the Gallows - Louis Malle's debut narrative feature, an early French New Wave classic, and just an all-around solid thriller. Miles Davis handles the score too.
Wings of Desire - I still haven't seen anything quite like Wim Wenders' hypnotic and beautiful film about two angels wandering around Berlin and serving as witnesses to the human events around them.

Repulsion - Combine the chilling paranoia of Roman Polanski with the stunning beauty of Catherine Denueve and you get this masterpiece.
Allegro Non Troppo - An Italian animation that's part Fantasia and part Luis Bunuel. Out of all the films I've chosen here, this is the one I imagine the least amount of people have seen, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Maverick - Just an all-around fun western; perfect for a night of relaxing, laugh-filled entertainment.
Secretary - A standout romance from the last decade, albeit one with a heavy helping of S&M. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are really great here.
Eyes Without A Face - One of my favorite old-school horror films, and one that has lost none of its appeal in the 50+ years since it was first released.
Yojimbo - Akira Kurosawa's samurai classic, and the film that really introduced me to foreign cinema.
Encounters at the End of the World - A Werner Herzog documentary that unfortunately seems a little overlooked in favor of the admittedly excellent Grizzly Man.
Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, The - I haven't seen this for awhile, but my memories of this 1966 comedy, about a Russian submarine accidentally running aground near a small New England town, are extremely positive. The cast includes the likes of Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, and Jonathan Winters, all at the top of their game.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Blonde Almond wrote:
Adventures of Robin Hood, The - Classic Hollywood doesn't get much better than this, and Errol Flynn's giddy portrayal of the title character never fails in making me smile.
Night and the City - Probably one of the greatest noirs ever made. It's certainly high on my list.
Day of the Jackal, The - Few thrillers are as patient and absorbing as this 1973 Fred Zinnemann classic.
Re-Animator - Goofy, gloriously violent schlock, and a perennial Halloween favorite.
Elevator to the Gallows - Louis Malle's debut narrative feature, an early French New Wave classic, and just an all-around solid thriller. Miles Davis handles the score too.
Wings of Desire - I still haven't seen anything quite like Wim Wenders' hypnotic and beautiful film about two angels wandering around Berlin and serving as witnesses to the human events around them.

Repulsion - Combine the chilling paranoia of Roman Polanski with the stunning beauty of Catherine Denueve and you get this masterpiece.
Allegro Non Troppo - An Italian animation that's part Fantasia and part Luis Bunuel. Out of all the films I've chosen here, this is the one I imagine the least amount of people have seen, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Maverick - Just an all-around fun western; perfect for a night of relaxing, laugh-filled entertainment.
Secretary - A standout romance from the last decade, albeit one with a heavy helping of S&M. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are really great here.

Eyes Without A Face - One of my favorite old-school horror films, and one that has lost none of its appeal in the 50+ years since it was first released.
Yojimbo - Akira Kurosawa's samurai classic, and the film that really introduced me to foreign cinema.
Encounters at the End of the World - A Werner Herzog documentary that unfortunately seems a little overlooked in favor of the admittedly excellent Grizzly Man.
Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, The - I haven't seen this for awhile, but my memories of this 1966 comedy, about a Russian submarine accidentally running aground near a small New England town, are extremely positive. The cast includes the likes of Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, and Jonathan Winters, all at the top of their game.


Interesting picks here. Gotta see some of these

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3348
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
M-Machete
I-Island, The
C-Chill Factor
H-Hard Rain
A-Assault On Precinct 13(both versions, though I like the remake better)
E-Expendables 2
L-Losers, The

P-Punisher, The
R-Resident Evil
Y-Yes Man
M-Man Apart, A
U-Ultraviolet
L-Law Abiding Citizen
A-A-Team, The


Last edited by Vexer on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Vexer wrote:
A-Aeon Flux
B-Bad Boys 2
C-Crow, The
D-Death Race
E-Expendables 2
F-Face/Off
G-Green Hornet
H-Hard Rain
I-Island, The
J-Judge Dredd
K-Kick Ass
L-Losers, The
M-Machete
N-Ninja Assassin
O-One, The
P-Punisher, The
Q-Quantum Of Solace
R-Resident Evil
S-Smokin Aces
T-Taken
U-Ultraviolet
V-Virtuosity
W-War
X-XXX
Y-Yes Man
Z-Zero dark Thirty


Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 31
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:


Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all


Lmao


Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1517
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
A-Aeon Flux
B-Bad Boys 2
C-Crow, The
D-Death Race
E-Expendables 2
F-Face/Off
G-Green Hornet
H-Hard Rain
I-Island, The
J-Judge Dredd
K-Kick Ass
L-Losers, The
M-Machete
N-Ninja Assassin
O-One, The
P-Punisher, The
Q-Quantum Of Solace
R-Resident Evil
S-Smokin Aces
T-Taken
U-Ultraviolet
V-Virtuosity
W-War
X-XXX
Y-Yes Man
Z-Zero dark Thirty


Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all


I remember a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird thinks the alphabet is a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvhKZHAP8U

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 31
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:


Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all


I remember a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird thinks the alphabet is a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvhKZHAP8U


How is he able to read but not recognize the alphabet?


Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1517
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Frogster wrote:
How is he able to read but not recognize the alphabet?


Well he does have a birdbrain.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3348
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Whoops my bad :oops: I misread the thread title and thought we were doing one film for each letter of the alphabet.


Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
My choices will be the obvious ones. As I was looking up Wikipedia to find films for each of the alphabets, I realized how few films I've actually seen. Oh well, still a long way to go and a lot of great films to watch.

(B)efore Sunrise (1995) - One of the most beautiful romances, I never knew a film that follows two people having existential conversations over the course of a single night would be as good a watch as this.
(A)liens (1981) - The greatest action film ever made. Die Hard held that post for me but when I saw this, I knew that no matter how many actions films get made, they will always be in Aliens' shadow. Relentlessness has never been personified better on-screen.
(L)ord of the Rings (2001-2003) - One of the greatest trilogies of all time and a high benchmark based on which fantasy adaptations will be judged for years to come.
(A)lien (1979) - Claustrophobic horror has never been done better. It gave birth to one of the most terrifying creatures seen on film and spawned multiple series of films of varying quality.
(J)urassic Park (1993) - I vaguely remember watching this in some broken down theater and have no idea how big an impression it made on my less-than-10 year old self. But it has become a staple of Indian TV over the years and I've grown fond of it because of that memory.
(I)ruvar (1997) - Mani Ratnam's second magnum opus. The first is listed below. Together both of them have made the biggest impact on me in terms of how Indian cinema should be taken forward. I urge you to watch both of them.

(S)chindler's List (1993) - The film I consider to be the greatest English language film. Not one technical aspect is anything less than outstanding and all of them combine marvelously to make a film which touches my heart each time I watch it, or even think about it.
(I)nglourious Basterds (2009) - Token Tarantino. Pulp Fiction may forever remain his masterpiece, but Basterds aims a lot higher and achieves that aim a lot more gloriously. One of the best films of the last decade.
(V)ertigo (1958) - A total lack of films I've seen in this letter have left me recommending this Hitchcock film which I don't even think is his best of all the ones I've seen.
(A)rgo (2012) - A throwback to an era when thrills were not generated with special effects but by carefully building up an actual plot. I love this film and consider it to be the best from last year. It also made me want to make a film of my own, I have no idea why.
(R)aging Bull (1980) - Token Scorsese masterpiece. He's given three, might as well pick one which fits into a letter in my name. Nothing much to say about this that hasn't already been said.
(A)dventureland (2007) - Another great romance of the last decade. It proves that a rom-com can be memorable if stripped of all the cliches and by placing the characters in a unique setting and making them realistic and easily identifiable.
(M)ean Streets (1973) - Another Scorsese just because... One of the best street films of all time.
(A)ttack the Block (2011) - A great action/sci-fi film which was sadly overlooked by most critics. A unique setting and cast of characters made this a memorable watch.
(N)ayagan (1987) - Mani Ratnam's magnum opus and the film I consider to be the greatest I've ever seen. There are so many memories linked with watching it on TV multiple times over various stages of my life. It will forever remain my desert island film.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Conspiracy (2001)
Aliens
Robocop
LA Confidential
Once


I have a long-ass last name, so there it goes.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 249
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
J - Jarhead
E - Easy A
R - Ratatouille
E - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
M - Metropolis
Y - You Don't Mess With the Zohan is the only film I can think of that starts with Y and that I've seen but I would not recommend it.

L - Last King of Scotland
A - Adventures of Priscilla, The: Queen of the Desert
W - Watchmen
R - Rabbit Proof Fence
E - Ed Wood but seriously, my name has too many E's in it.
N - Napoleon Dynamite
C - Contact
E - Fight Club A) Because it's awsome, and B) an F is an E minus the bottom line.

R - Rashomon
E - Is it permisable to recommend films we have not seen since children? I'd put ET here then. I would give Enchanted a weak recommendation as well.
D - Dark City
L - Lord of the Rings
I - Inglorious Bastards
E - F*** the letter E
N - No Country For No Old Men

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Last edited by thered47 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 226
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
A Adaptation
W Winter's Bone
F Forrest Gump

H House of Sand and Fog
A Apocalypto
N Notorious
D District 9

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2012
Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Ignoring articles:

S-Sita Sings the Blues (A creative explosion. A film that borrows from Lotte Reiniger, Wladyslaw Starewicz, and Frédéric Back to use all styles of traditional animation to make a great film.)
Y-You're Telling Me! (Next to "The Bank Dick," my favorite W. C. Fields film.)
D-The Dreamlife of Angels (Élodie Bouchez gives one of the best acting performances of all time--and shares her award with Natacha Régnier for the same film.)
N-Naughty Marietta
E-The Eagle (the Valentino film)
Y-Yi Yi

F-Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
A-The Apartment
Y-Yankee Doodle Dandy
L-Lassie Come Home
E-Enchanted


H-The Heiress
E-Eat Drink Man Woman
N-Nashville
D-Definitely, Maybe
E- The Exterminating Angel
R-The Runaways
S-Sweetgrass
O-October Sky
N-The Notorious Betty Page

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Last edited by Syd Henderson on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.



Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: patrick, Pedro and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr