Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm

One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name 
Critic

Post One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Seems like it could be a fun gimmick. Try to keep them from being too obvious, and maybe we'll get some good recommendations for each other.

(J)acob's Ladder: A wonderfully atmospheric and twisty mindbender of a horror film, it somehow hasn't ascended into the horror pantheon even though it richly deserves to.
(A)natomy of a Murder: I finally found a courtroom drama that captures the inherent drama of a man on trial for his life without resorting to absurd, intelligence-insulting gimmicks. And its name is Anatomy of a Murder
(M)an Who Would Be King, The: It's a rousing adventure story that doubles as a combination ode to/satire of imperialism that works on every level. Also great score, for those who like such things.
(E)ight Men Out: A baseball movie that's good even if you don't like baseball (though I really, really do) this story of the rigged 1919 World Series is always interesting and very well cast
(S)alton Sea, The: Better than the Tarantino clone it initially appears to be, with style for days and a towering performance by Vincent D'Onofrio as the villain, it's something you won't regret watching.

(K)iss of the Spider Woman: Perfectly acted, skillfully directed, and never less than fascinating, it should easily have won Best Picture over Out of Africa.
(U)nder Suspicion [1991]: A skillful neo-noir that no one saw, Under Suspicion isn't deep but it's a fun film to puzzle out
(N)owhere in Africa: One of the oddball winners for Best Foreign Language Film, considering no one really saw it, but a wonderful story of a girl moving to and growing up in Africa.
(Z): Are there people out there who haven't seen Z yet? You must listen to me and see it! Now!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: One Movie You Recommend for Each Letter of Your Name
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

My list is exactly what you aren't looking for here. I'm not quite at a place where I can pull obscure movie titles right out of my ass. Nevertheless, these are all movies I'd recommend to people, unfortunately they've generally already gotten a recommendation from someone else.

Lemme know if you guys know any good movies starting with a Y.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm
Director

JFK
Evil Dead 2
From Hell
Friday

Waking Life
Ice Storm
Love Jones (one of my fave cinematic love stories)
Drugstore Cowboy
Empire Of The Sun
Raging Bull

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm
Director

Gedmud wrote:

Sure. Young Frankenstein.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

My list is exactly what you aren't looking for here. I'm not quite at a place where I can pull obscure movie titles right out of my ass. Nevertheless, these are all movies I'd recommend to people, unfortunately they've generally already gotten a recommendation from someone else.

You Cant Count on Me
The Year My Voice Broke
Young Adult
Young Frankenstein

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
Body of Lies
Rock, The
American Psycho
Y
Departed, The
No Country for Old Men

Gone Baby Gone
Equilibrium
Die Hard
District 9
Requiem for a Dream
Titanic

You Cant Count on Me
The Year My Voice Broke
Young Adult
Young Frankenstein

Your Friends And Neighbors

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm
Cinematographer

Adventures of Robin Hood, The - Classic Hollywood doesn't get much better than this, and Errol Flynn's giddy portrayal of the title character never fails in making me smile.
Night and the City - Probably one of the greatest noirs ever made. It's certainly high on my list.
Day of the Jackal, The - Few thrillers are as patient and absorbing as this 1973 Fred Zinnemann classic.
Re-Animator - Goofy, gloriously violent schlock, and a perennial Halloween favorite.
Elevator to the Gallows - Louis Malle's debut narrative feature, an early French New Wave classic, and just an all-around solid thriller. Miles Davis handles the score too.
Wings of Desire - I still haven't seen anything quite like Wim Wenders' hypnotic and beautiful film about two angels wandering around Berlin and serving as witnesses to the human events around them.

Repulsion - Combine the chilling paranoia of Roman Polanski with the stunning beauty of Catherine Denueve and you get this masterpiece.
Allegro Non Troppo - An Italian animation that's part Fantasia and part Luis Bunuel. Out of all the films I've chosen here, this is the one I imagine the least amount of people have seen, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Maverick - Just an all-around fun western; perfect for a night of relaxing, laugh-filled entertainment.
Secretary - A standout romance from the last decade, albeit one with a heavy helping of S&M. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are really great here.
Eyes Without A Face - One of my favorite old-school horror films, and one that has lost none of its appeal in the 50+ years since it was first released.
Yojimbo - Akira Kurosawa's samurai classic, and the film that really introduced me to foreign cinema.
Encounters at the End of the World - A Werner Herzog documentary that unfortunately seems a little overlooked in favor of the admittedly excellent Grizzly Man.
Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, The - I haven't seen this for awhile, but my memories of this 1966 comedy, about a Russian submarine accidentally running aground near a small New England town, are extremely positive. The cast includes the likes of Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, and Jonathan Winters, all at the top of their game.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
Adventures of Robin Hood, The - Classic Hollywood doesn't get much better than this, and Errol Flynn's giddy portrayal of the title character never fails in making me smile.
Night and the City - Probably one of the greatest noirs ever made. It's certainly high on my list.
Day of the Jackal, The - Few thrillers are as patient and absorbing as this 1973 Fred Zinnemann classic.
Re-Animator - Goofy, gloriously violent schlock, and a perennial Halloween favorite.
Elevator to the Gallows - Louis Malle's debut narrative feature, an early French New Wave classic, and just an all-around solid thriller. Miles Davis handles the score too.
Wings of Desire - I still haven't seen anything quite like Wim Wenders' hypnotic and beautiful film about two angels wandering around Berlin and serving as witnesses to the human events around them.

Repulsion - Combine the chilling paranoia of Roman Polanski with the stunning beauty of Catherine Denueve and you get this masterpiece.
Allegro Non Troppo - An Italian animation that's part Fantasia and part Luis Bunuel. Out of all the films I've chosen here, this is the one I imagine the least amount of people have seen, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Maverick - Just an all-around fun western; perfect for a night of relaxing, laugh-filled entertainment.
Secretary - A standout romance from the last decade, albeit one with a heavy helping of S&M. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are really great here.

Eyes Without A Face - One of my favorite old-school horror films, and one that has lost none of its appeal in the 50+ years since it was first released.
Yojimbo - Akira Kurosawa's samurai classic, and the film that really introduced me to foreign cinema.
Encounters at the End of the World - A Werner Herzog documentary that unfortunately seems a little overlooked in favor of the admittedly excellent Grizzly Man.
Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, The - I haven't seen this for awhile, but my memories of this 1966 comedy, about a Russian submarine accidentally running aground near a small New England town, are extremely positive. The cast includes the likes of Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, and Jonathan Winters, all at the top of their game.

Interesting picks here. Gotta see some of these

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm
Auteur

M-Machete
I-Island, The
C-Chill Factor
H-Hard Rain
A-Assault On Precinct 13(both versions, though I like the remake better)
E-Expendables 2
L-Losers, The

P-Punisher, The
R-Resident Evil
Y-Yes Man
M-Man Apart, A
U-Ultraviolet
L-Law Abiding Citizen
A-A-Team, The

Last edited by Vexer on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
A-Aeon Flux
B-Bad Boys 2
C-Crow, The
D-Death Race
E-Expendables 2
F-Face/Off
G-Green Hornet
H-Hard Rain
I-Island, The
J-Judge Dredd
K-Kick Ass
L-Losers, The
M-Machete
N-Ninja Assassin
O-One, The
P-Punisher, The
Q-Quantum Of Solace
R-Resident Evil
S-Smokin Aces
T-Taken
U-Ultraviolet
V-Virtuosity
W-War
X-XXX
Y-Yes Man
Z-Zero dark Thirty

Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 pm
Gaffer

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Wow Vexer that's an interesting name you have. Must be pretty easy for people to spell it though, what with the song and all

Lmao

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
A-Aeon Flux
B-Bad Boys 2
C-Crow, The
D-Death Race
E-Expendables 2
F-Face/Off
G-Green Hornet
H-Hard Rain
I-Island, The
J-Judge Dredd
K-Kick Ass
L-Losers, The
M-Machete
N-Ninja Assassin
O-One, The
P-Punisher, The
Q-Quantum Of Solace
R-Resident Evil
S-Smokin Aces
T-Taken
U-Ultraviolet
V-Virtuosity
W-War
X-XXX
Y-Yes Man
Z-Zero dark Thirty

I remember a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird thinks the alphabet is a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvhKZHAP8U

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm
Gaffer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I remember a Sesame Street episode where Big Bird thinks the alphabet is a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvhKZHAP8U

How is he able to read but not recognize the alphabet?

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm
Director

Frogster wrote:
How is he able to read but not recognize the alphabet?

Well he does have a birdbrain.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 pm
Auteur

Whoops my bad :oops: I misread the thread title and thought we were doing one film for each letter of the alphabet.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am
Second Unit Director

My choices will be the obvious ones. As I was looking up Wikipedia to find films for each of the alphabets, I realized how few films I've actually seen. Oh well, still a long way to go and a lot of great films to watch.

(B)efore Sunrise (1995) - One of the most beautiful romances, I never knew a film that follows two people having existential conversations over the course of a single night would be as good a watch as this.
(A)liens (1981) - The greatest action film ever made. Die Hard held that post for me but when I saw this, I knew that no matter how many actions films get made, they will always be in Aliens' shadow. Relentlessness has never been personified better on-screen.
(L)ord of the Rings (2001-2003) - One of the greatest trilogies of all time and a high benchmark based on which fantasy adaptations will be judged for years to come.
(A)lien (1979) - Claustrophobic horror has never been done better. It gave birth to one of the most terrifying creatures seen on film and spawned multiple series of films of varying quality.
(J)urassic Park (1993) - I vaguely remember watching this in some broken down theater and have no idea how big an impression it made on my less-than-10 year old self. But it has become a staple of Indian TV over the years and I've grown fond of it because of that memory.
(I)ruvar (1997) - Mani Ratnam's second magnum opus. The first is listed below. Together both of them have made the biggest impact on me in terms of how Indian cinema should be taken forward. I urge you to watch both of them.

(S)chindler's List (1993) - The film I consider to be the greatest English language film. Not one technical aspect is anything less than outstanding and all of them combine marvelously to make a film which touches my heart each time I watch it, or even think about it.
(I)nglourious Basterds (2009) - Token Tarantino. Pulp Fiction may forever remain his masterpiece, but Basterds aims a lot higher and achieves that aim a lot more gloriously. One of the best films of the last decade.
(V)ertigo (1958) - A total lack of films I've seen in this letter have left me recommending this Hitchcock film which I don't even think is his best of all the ones I've seen.
(A)rgo (2012) - A throwback to an era when thrills were not generated with special effects but by carefully building up an actual plot. I love this film and consider it to be the best from last year. It also made me want to make a film of my own, I have no idea why.
(R)aging Bull (1980) - Token Scorsese masterpiece. He's given three, might as well pick one which fits into a letter in my name. Nothing much to say about this that hasn't already been said.
(A)dventureland (2007) - Another great romance of the last decade. It proves that a rom-com can be memorable if stripped of all the cliches and by placing the characters in a unique setting and making them realistic and easily identifiable.
(M)ean Streets (1973) - Another Scorsese just because... One of the best street films of all time.
(A)ttack the Block (2011) - A great action/sci-fi film which was sadly overlooked by most critics. A unique setting and cast of characters made this a memorable watch.
(N)ayagan (1987) - Mani Ratnam's magnum opus and the film I consider to be the greatest I've ever seen. There are so many memories linked with watching it on TV multiple times over various stages of my life. It will forever remain my desert island film.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Conspiracy (2001)
Aliens
Robocop
LA Confidential
Once

I have a long-ass last name, so there it goes.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

J - Jarhead
E - Easy A
R - Ratatouille
E - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
M - Metropolis
Y - You Don't Mess With the Zohan is the only film I can think of that starts with Y and that I've seen but I would not recommend it.

L - Last King of Scotland
A - Adventures of Priscilla, The: Queen of the Desert
W - Watchmen
R - Rabbit Proof Fence
E - Ed Wood but seriously, my name has too many E's in it.
N - Napoleon Dynamite
C - Contact
E - Fight Club A) Because it's awsome, and B) an F is an E minus the bottom line.

R - Rashomon
E - Is it permisable to recommend films we have not seen since children? I'd put ET here then. I would give Enchanted a weak recommendation as well.
D - Dark City
L - Lord of the Rings
I - Inglorious Bastards
E - F*** the letter E
N - No Country For No Old Men

Last edited by thered47 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

A Adaptation
W Winter's Bone
F Forrest Gump

H House of Sand and Fog
A Apocalypto
N Notorious
D District 9

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm
Producer

Ignoring articles:

S-Sita Sings the Blues (A creative explosion. A film that borrows from Lotte Reiniger, Wladyslaw Starewicz, and Frédéric Back to use all styles of traditional animation to make a great film.)
Y-You're Telling Me! (Next to "The Bank Dick," my favorite W. C. Fields film.)
D-The Dreamlife of Angels (Élodie Bouchez gives one of the best acting performances of all time--and shares her award with Natacha Régnier for the same film.)
N-Naughty Marietta
E-The Eagle (the Valentino film)
Y-Yi Yi

F-Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
A-The Apartment
Y-Yankee Doodle Dandy
L-Lassie Come Home
E-Enchanted

H-The Heiress
E-Eat Drink Man Woman
N-Nashville
D-Definitely, Maybe
E- The Exterminating Angel
R-The Runaways
S-Sweetgrass
O-October Sky
N-The Notorious Betty Page

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm