Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This year...I'm watching every Star Trek 
Producer

Post Re: This year...I'm watching every Star Trek
Aw, I LOVE First Contact! My second favorite after Wrath of Khan!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
In addition, the scenes set on earth had no urgency at all.

But the Earth scenes had some good humor as opposed to the stupidity of Final Froniter. For instance:

Quote:
Dr. Zefram Cochrane: I've gotta take a leak.
Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: Leak? I'm not detecting any leak.
Dr. Zefram Cochrane: Don't you people from the future ever pee?

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Star Trek: First Contact (1996) **1/2

Since I've been watching these films, I've generally agreed with the critical consensus. Even numbered better, Wrath of Khan really good, Final Frontier pretty bad, etc. However, I'm not with everyone on First Contact. I found that there were effective moments, but some major issues. The plot switches back and forth between a light-hearted time travel romp and an Alien-esque action plot in a way I found disjointed. In addition, the scenes set on earth had no urgency at all. It's not like Back to the Future where they have to work really hard to make sure a certain event happens -- in this movie they just need to sit back, watch history unfurl, and make some humorous observations. The whole plot could have been cut.

As much as I really liked First Contact, I do gotta admit that:

A. It's pretty much a Schwarzengger movie IN SPACE!
B. Jonathan Frakes really, really, really, really, really, really sucked in front of the camera in this one.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Since I've been watching these films, I've generally agreed with the critical consensus. Even numbered better, Wrath of Khan really good, Final Frontier pretty bad, etc. However, I'm not with everyone on First Contact. I found that there were effective moments, but some major issues. The plot switches back and forth between a light-hearted time travel romp and an Alien-esque action plot in a way I found disjointed. In addition, the scenes set on earth had no urgency at all. It's not like Back to the Future where they have to work really hard to make sure a certain event happens -- in this movie they just need to sit back, watch history unfurl, and make some humorous observations. The whole plot could have been cut.

Very well observed. My main problem with First Contact is how it changes the character of Cpt. Picard. In the TV series, he was a careful und thoughtful leader and would delegate tasks to his capable staff, as you should as a captain. From First Contact on, the movies portray him as a run-of-the-mill action hero. I concede that a TV series is a better format than a feature film to handle a large cast and have them led by a captain who acts more like a diplomat, but the TV show's Captain Picard was an interesting and somewhat fresh character whereas the movie Captain Picard is an inferior Captain Kirk-clone.

Another pet peeve of mine: I really dislike these Hollywood characters - call them "Armageddon Astronauts" -, who act irresponsibly at all times/ are irredeemable drunks/ allround crackpots/ dangerous lunatics, but still manage to complete the technically or scientifically most extraordinary and challenging tasks, such as, in this case, building an engine for faster-than-light spacetravel. Surely, a good education, a knowledge of the scientific method and basic engineering standards and a tiny bit of professionalism wouldn't have made the character less plausible, would they?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:16 pm
Producer

I will go to bat for Picard's behavior in First Contact, at least where the Borg are concerned. One of his most human moments in the show is when he gets into a brawl with his brother in the vinyard back home--very, very uncharacteristic for the cool-headed Jean Luc Picard. It is following this fight that he breaks down and first admits just how much anger he felt toward the Borg and how suppressing those feelings in order to do his duty was coloring his behavior. It's rather one-dimensional to characterize Picard as cool and diplomatic. Those are things he needs to be for the sake of his job, but there's much more to him than that.

As for the rest of the movie, it does feel like a padded, big budget TV episode, doesn't it? A damn good TV episode, but a padded one nevertheless.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I will go to bat for Picard's behavior in First Contact, at least where the Borg are concerned. One of his most human moments in the show is when he gets into a brawl with his brother in the vinyard back home--very, very uncharacteristic for the cool-headed Jean Luc Picard. It is following this fight that he breaks down and first admits just how much anger he felt toward the Borg and how suppressing those feelings in order to do his duty was coloring his behavior. It's rather one-dimensional to characterize Picard as cool and diplomatic. Those are things he needs to be for the sake of his job, but there's much more to him than that.

As for the rest of the movie, it does feel like a padded, big budget TV episode, doesn't it? A damn good TV episode, but a padded one nevertheless.

Agreed, Picard would've been a rather boring character if he was professional all the time, I like that type of "angry" charaterization.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:05 pm
Producer

Patrick Stewart is always awesome, but he was especially awesome in First Contact. The scene between him and Alfre Woodard in his ready room is one of the best scenes of the movie!

"They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must drawn here! This far, no farther! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"

8-)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm
Director

Quote:
Then we cut to the TNG cast, who aren't introduced at all to a neophyte audience unfamiliar with the television show.

have you thought about checking out any of the show? I recommend 'The Best of Both Worlds,' which First Contact makes reference to.

Quote:
In 2008, Empire magazine rated Star Trek: The Next Generation 37th on their list of "The 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time" and cited "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" as the show's best episode.[5] The episode was ranked #36 on TV Guide's list of "TV's Top 100 Episodes of All Time".[6] The two-episode arc ranked second in Entertainment Weekly's list of top 10 Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm
Producer

My favorites are (1) The Wrath of Khan (2) First Contact and (3) The Undiscovered Country. #4 is "The Voyage Home", but it isn't close to those three. "The Search for Spock" isn't that bad, except (a) they had to replace Kirstie Alley, who had an incredible screen presence in "The Wrath of Khan," and (b) they trashed the whole idea of the Genesis project. The hopeful themes of "The Wrath of Khan" are birth and rejuvenation. (Which Khan, with his obsessive focus on past wrongs, can't participate in--except, in an unanticipated manner, even he does.)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

But then there'd have been no James Cromwell. He was fantastic! So were Alice Krige and Alfre Woodard. Best guest cast ever for a Trek movie. I disagree about the lack of urgency; they brought the best and brightest engineers down to repair the Phoenix. Including Barclay! They also violated the Temporal Prime Directive because they didn't think he could be convinced in time otherwise. YMMV I guess.

Unke wrote:
Another pet peeve of mine: I really dislike these Hollywood characters - call them "Armageddon Astronauts" -, who act irresponsibly at all times/ are irredeemable drunks/ allround crackpots/ dangerous lunatics, but still manage to complete the technically or scientifically most extraordinary and challenging tasks, such as, in this case, building an engine for faster-than-light spacetravel. Surely, a good education, a knowledge of the scientific method and basic engineering standards and a tiny bit of professionalism wouldn't have made the character less plausible, would they?

Didn't bother me in this case. For one, Cromwell sold that the drinking was his coping mechanism but that he was intelligent otherwise, for another, the world had just been to the brink of annihilation in World War III. His alcohol abuse probably worsened because of the widespread devastation and death. Besides he was easily old enough to have had a good education before WWIII.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:12 am
Critic

Star Trek: Insurrection(1998) **1/2

This one was solid but unspectacular. I still don't feel that the TNG crew has ever really been developed for me as someone who hasn't ever seen an episode of the show, and in fact Insurrection feels a great deal like an episode of a show I stumbled onto. There are a couple guest stars, plotlines that need to be wrapped up by the end of the episode to return everything to normal, and a lack of cinematicness. That said, it's a pleasant two hour episode, with some laughs to be had and a zippy storyline. So, all things considered, 2.5 seems right.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

This one was solid but unspectacular. I still don't feel that the TNG crew has ever really been developed for me as someone who hasn't ever seen an episode of the show, and in fact Insurrection feels a great deal like an episode of a show I stumbled onto. There are a couple guest stars, plotlines that need to be wrapped up by the end of the episode to return everything to normal, and a lack of cinematicness. That said, it's a pleasant two hour episode, with some laughs to be had and a zippy storyline. So, all things considered, 2.5 seems right.

I envy you, because not having watched the TV show would likely have made watching that abortion a bit more bearable for me.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:41 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I envy you, because not having watched the TV show would likely have made watching that abortion a bit more bearable for me.

Even the cast members didn't seem to like it, Marina Sirtis admitted to falling asleep at the premiere, I thought it was OK but forgettable. Nemesis is actually my favorite Trek film to be honest.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Even the cast members didn't seem to like it, Marina Sirtis admitted to falling asleep at the premiere, I thought it was OK but forgettable. Nemesis is actually my favorite Trek film to be honest.

Well I'll see Nemesis fairly soon to wrap everything up before Into Darkness comes out.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:54 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

The thing is, there have been a number of TNG double episodes - one about a Klingon civil war and one about the attack of the Borg come to mind - which had a near-cinematic quality and are utterly captivating (for Star Trek fans, naturally). It really is indefensible to make a Star Trek movie and come up with something like 'Insurrection', which wouldn't even make for a particularly memorable episode.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am
Cinematographer

Unke wrote:
The thing is, there have been a number of TNG double episodes - one about a Klingon civil war and one about the attack of the Borg come to mind - which had a near-cinematic quality and are utterly captivating (for Star Trek fans, naturally). It really is indefensible to make a Star Trek movie and come up with something like 'Insurrection', which wouldn't even make for a particularly memorable episode.

Time for Harry Plinkett to come to the rescue again.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Unke wrote:

Time for Harry Plinkett to come to the rescue again.

Ugh, Red Letter Media sucks.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm
Producer

Guess I'm the only one who loved Insurrection. I'm probably the only one who loved Nemesis as well.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Guess I'm the only one who loved Insurrection. I'm probably the only one who loved Nemesis as well.

I found Insurrection to be decent, my main issue was the gigantic plot hole involving the main villains(which the studio execs actually pointed out, only to get completely ignored by the director)

I too loved Nemesis, it's my favorite Trek film.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I found Insurrection to be decent, my main issue was the gigantic plot hole involving the main villains(which the studio execs actually pointed out, only to get completely ignored by the director)

I too loved Nemesis, it's my favorite Trek film.

What's the plot hole?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next