Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am

So, When is 2013 Going to Get Good? 
Cinematographer

Post So, When is 2013 Going to Get Good?
I know that this is my personal opinion, but I have a feeling that many others on this forum might agree with me. Thus far, this seems like a very throwaway year. Side Effects and Stoker are the only two major releases that I have enjoyed. There are a number of festival films that I adore, ranging from The Place Beyond the Pines to Before Midnight to Ain't Them Bodies Saints and The Spectacular Now, but they have yet to be released theatrically. Likewise, there are several documentary and independent titles that I have also appreciated, such as Room 237, 56 Up, Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, and From Up on Poppy Hill.

I'll be sure to make a new thread once the first quarter of 2013 ends in a few weeks, but until then, what are your thoughts on 2013 so far, what are some of your favorite titles, and what are some of your least favorite movies?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Producer

Post Re: So, When is 2013 Going to Get Good?
I think 2013 has been pretty good so far, i've enjoyed Last Stand, Bullet To The Head, Parker, Good Day To Die Hard, Identity Thief, Stand-Up Guys, Snitch and Dead Man Down. There weren't really any 2013 films i've seen that I disliked so far.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I think 2013 has been pretty good so far, i've enjoyed Last Stand, Bullet To The Head, Parker, Good Day To Die Hard, Identity Thief, Stand-Up Guys, Snitch and Dead Man Down. There weren't really any 2013 films i've seen that I disliked so far.

Oscar season will come man, don't worry.

I don't know that the year has been much worse than any other year at this time. I know a lot of people REALLY loved The Grey, but I don't know that anything has reached those heights quite yet. I haven't seen Place Beyond the Pines but I'm very excited about it.

April gets exciting, though. At Any Price and Mud are two of my top 5 most anticipated for the year, easily. Maybe top 3 (behind the Coens). Upstream Color and To the Wonder are also very high on my list. May-August brings almost nothing I'm excited for, though... I'll see F&F 6 for humor's sake, and Pacific Rim to support Idris Elba, but after that... oy. I'm more excited about Olympus Has Fallen than any of the big summer blockbusters because I find Fuqua weirdly reliable very reliable for very mildly amusing films.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm
Producer

I too am looking forward to Olympus Has Fallen, the only real bad film Fuqua has directed was King Arthur, and I blame the screenplay moreso then him.

Also looking forward to G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Now You See It, Man Of Steel, Iron Man 3, F&F 6(which i'm more excited to see then any other film this year), Kick Ass 2, White House Down, The Heat, Getaway, 2 Guns, Oblivion, After Earth, Elysium, The Purge, Trance, Pain And Gain, Star Trek 2, The East, World War Z, Pacific Rim, RED 2, R.I.P.D., The Wolverine, Closed Circuit, Machete Kills, Prisoners, Runner Runner, Riddick, The Tomb, Sin City 2, Paranoia, Ender's Game, Oldboy, Thor: Dark World and Jack Ryan.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:19 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

You cannot know the value of a filet mignon if you only eat McDonalds cheeseburgers.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 pm
Gaffer

I'm looking forward to the Evil Dead remake more than any other film during the spring-summer period. I'm more excited for it than Iron Man 3

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:38 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

You cannot know the value of a filet mignon if you only eat McDonalds cheeseburgers.

Unless one simply dosen't like filet mignon or cheeseburgers ;)

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Unless one simply dosen't like filet mignon or cheeseburgers ;)

I'm about to give you the best movie-watching advice you'll ever get...a mentor of mine told this to me a long time ago:

In order to truly understand bad movies - what makes a good bad movie work really well and what makes a bad bad movie really terrible - it is absolutely essential to have a foundational understanding of what makes excellent cinema. This is to say that in order to understand what doesn't work about, say, a Paul W.S. Anderson film, it is imperative to know better works, like Ben-Hur or Bullitt (both dramas that contain amazing action sequences).

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm
Director

Quote:
This is to say that in order to understand what doesn't work about, say, a Paul W.S. Anderson film,

I find that the phrase "people are jerks" is sufficient to explain why his films are so hated, whether you've seen a lot of classics or not.

Considering that most people on this site find Avengers to be, if not filet mignon, then at least a solid prime rib, I don't see where the argument holds much weight. It's like saying you're more sophisticated for eating a 2.5 hour burger than I am for eating a 90 minute burger.

So far, the theme of 2013 has been: any film targeted at people over age 15, flops. People who go to the movies the most now are clearly not old enough to know anything about Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, or even Jim Carrey. Give it another couple years before nobody knows who Johnny Depp is.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm
Director

As it's been pointed out here before, Vex basically represents the mindset of the average moviegoer: that watching a movie is merely another motion you go through in your life -- something you do after having done something else, and before moving on to do yet something else. :| Alas, unlike for many of us, watching movies is not a 'religious' experience for most people. It's like me saying to my car-crazy cousin, "Cars are just things that get you where you need to go. What's the big deal?" I can only imagine his reaction. :? Of course, it does remain a bit of a mystery to me as to why someone with seemingly no inherent interest in the artistic and socially conscious sides of cinema would spend so much time here among us. :|

Anyway, back to the original topic: as I've often mentioned before, the vast majority of what comes out January through April (film festival premieres notwithstanding) is pure shit. Hell, even the summer months (May through August) aren't really that impressive anymore unless you're really into superhero movies (I'm not). :? So the last 4 months of the year remain the only genuinely reliable time to see really good movies.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:18 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:

Considering that most people on this site find Avengers to be, if not filet mignon, then at least a solid prime rib, I don't see where the argument holds much weight. It's like saying you're more sophisticated for eating a 2.5 hour burger than I am for eating a 90 minute burger.

Length has nothing to do with what makes a good film. Entertainment value does, and I've never hated a film for being entertaining. The Avengers is competently made, and I can see why people liked it. It certainly doesn't fit the definition of a "bad bad movie."

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:40 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Length has nothing to do with what makes a good film. Entertainment value does, and I've never hated a film for being entertaining. The Avengers is competently made, and I can see why people liked it. It certainly doesn't fit the definition of a "bad bad movie."

I do enjoy some "finer" films like those of Martin Scorcese, so thanks for the advice, but I am already well aware of what makes "excellent" cinema, I just don't talk about those films as often. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the more "artistic" side of cinema, I just happen to prefer watching what one would call "less demanding" films more often then most people. I spend a lot of time on here because I like being the odd man out, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if everyone on here had the same taste as me.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 pm
Director

Quote:
I do enjoy some "finer" films like those of Martin Scorcese, so thanks for the advice, but I am already well aware of what makes "excellent" cinema, I just don't talk about those films as often. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the more "artistic" side of cinema, I just happen to prefer watching what one would call "less demanding" films more often then most people. I spend a lot of time on here because I like being the odd man out, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if everyone on here had the same taste as me.

Right on.

Quote:
As it's been pointed out here before, Vex basically represents the mindset of the average moviegoer: that watching a movie is merely another motion you go through in your life

The best movies ever made speak firstly to this group of people, and secondly to the cinephiles. That's why The Godfather is a better candidate for best movie of all time than Citizen Kane or Vertigo or 2001, imo.

Quote:
Length has nothing to do with what makes a good film

Length has something to do with what makes a good film. I'm well aware that many people are as prejudiced against 90 minute action movies as I am against 160 minute event movies. What's an example of a Hollywood film that's incompetently made? As far as I can tell, modern circumstances make it nearly impossible for a budgeted movie to come out without some basic level of competence. You give any throwaway student film to a professional editor, they'll make it seem competent to some degree. There doesn't seem to be much sense of what incompetence amounts to anymore.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
What's an example of a Hollywood film that's incompetently made?

Bad Boys II comes to mind. It's the textbook definition of how not to make an action movie. There's too much editing, too much shaking the camera, and the action scenes are so frequent that you become numb eventually. Simply put, if everything is at top volume, the film cannot develop any kind of rhythm. It's a perfect example of incompetent screenwriting and direction. I will, however, concede that Bad Boys II is a masterpiece in the area of sound effects editing.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 am
Second Unit Director

And cue Vexer to defend Bad Boys II as one of the greatest action movies of all time, specifically referencing the highway chase scene as a masterpiece of action set pieces...

...cue someone else putting down Vexer's taste in movies...

...cue Vexer passive-aggressively defending his taste in movies...

...cue people defending Vexer's value to the forum...

...cue people bringing up instances of his hypocrisy on certain occasions...

...Rinse and repeat from now until the end of Reelviews...

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:13 am
Cinematographer

I think that we can all agree that Vexer has become a fixture of the ReelViews forums. If he were to leave, then it just wouldn't feel right. That being said, there are times when his taste in film causes me physical pain, but I still respect his opinion. Now, could we kindly get back to the topic at hand, rather than bashing Vexer for holding unorthodox opinions? As I have stated before, I might not always agree with him, but the two of us can at least agree that Cosmopolis is nothing less than a piece of pseudo-intellectual offal.

Before we get Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Star Trek: Into Darkness, and The Wolverine, we must wade through another month or two of mediocrity. Fortunately, there are some compelling titles here or there: The Place Beyond the Pines, Trance, and Oblivion are the few that come to mind. I was displeased with Terrence Malick's latest effort, To the Wonder, when I saw at TIFF last year, but he is directing two other new films at the moment, so one of those is bound to be good.

For the most part, South by Southwest, which I am currently attending, has served as nothing less than a recapitulation of titles that have premiered at other film festivals. It ends today, but thus far, I have been mostly pleased with what I have seen.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
What's an example of a Hollywood film that's incompetently made?

Bad Boys II comes to mind. It's the textbook definition of how not to make an action movie. There's too much editing, too much shaking the camera, and the action scenes are so frequent that you become numb eventually. Simply put, if everything is at top volume, the film cannot develop any kind of rhythm. It's a perfect example of incompetent screenwriting and direction. I will, however, concede that Bad Boys II is a masterpiece in the area of sound effects editing.

Well not for me it wasn't, normally I find films longer then two and a half hours a tough sit, but I was never bored once during Bad Boys 2, I never became "numb" to the film(though I can understand why some would). I can't wait for Bad Boys 3.

Sean-So my taste causes you "physical pain" eh? :lol:

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm
Critic

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
And queue Vexer to defend Bad Boys II as one of the greatest action movies of all time, specifically referencing the highway chase scene as a masterpiece of action set pieces...

...Queue in someone else putting down Vexer's taste in movies...

...Queue in Vexer passive-aggressively defending his taste in movies...

...Queue in people defending Vexer's value to the forum...

...Queue in people bringing up instances of his hypocrisy on certain occasions...

...Rinse and repeat from now until the end of Reelviews...

I don't think you know what the word "queue" means. I think you mean "cue"

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Well not for me it wasn't, normally I find films longer then two and a half hours a tough sit, but I was never bored once during Bad Boys 2, I never became "numb" to the film(though I can understand why some would). I can't wait for Bad Boys 3.

This sort of goes back to my first point. If Bay is the high standard for you, then you don't have much of a starting point with which to compare the very best in action cinema. As an example, if you compare Bad Boys II to the chariot race in Wyler's Ben-Hur, or any of the action sequences directed by Kurosawa,* or the car chase in The French Connection, or anything in John Woo's Hong Kong films, then it's easy to see where Bay is lacking. But without that frame of reference, you can't see it.

*I especially highlight Kurosawa, because he is one of the greatest action directors that ever lived.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:50 pm
Producer

As with most years, 2013 is largely going to be hit-or-miss (maybe mostly miss) until studios start unloading their big summer moneymakers. If anybody's disappointed with the year so far, that's to be expected.

Vexer wrote:
I spend a lot of time on here because I like being the odd man out, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if everyone on here had the same taste as me.

Likewise, the forum wouldn't be as interesting to everyone else if everybody here had generally the same experiences with movies and interpreted those experiences in generally the same way. Someone has to argue for the path less taken.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm