Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:51 am

Poll #2: Number of Theatrical Movies Per Year 

On average, how many movies do you see per year in theaters?
Zero 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
1-5 25%  25%  [ 21 ]
6-20 38%  38%  [ 32 ]
21-51 19%  19%  [ 16 ]
52 (one per week) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
53-100 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
101-200 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
201+ 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 84

Poll #2: Number of Theatrical Movies Per Year 
Site Admin

Post Poll #2: Number of Theatrical Movies Per Year
The Number of Movies Per Year Poll

So, how many movies do you see theatrically per year (on average)? Comments are welcome.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Weekly Poll (March 29-April 4) - The # of movies poll
there was a time when I saw 3 movies a week (lasted one year). From there it went to one a week (over 50), and now its even movies, or then those to which i have to take my child. But DVDs is a different matter (how about that question in a poll as well?)

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:28 pm
DVDs? Too many count.

Theatrically, I only go to films that I absolutely feel like I can't miss. Everything else is either for social purposes, or extreme boredom.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:38 pm
I don't go out to theaters much unless I think it's going to be mind-blowingly awesome or with friends.

TV and DVD's on the other hand....

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:39 pm
I cast my vote in the 101-200 range. I see just about everything that hits theaters; I'm up to 30 this year, so far.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 pm
you wrote on average, thats why i picked 1-5. cuz ive seen like 20-30 movies in theaters in my whole life, yes. but in the past 2-3 years, zero. maybe they have magic pop corn by now, i dont even know.
im a dvd and tv guy.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 pm
My average is pretty meager...maybe 2 or 3 per year in theaters, but I'm still in school so that's my excuse. And anyway, I usually rent DVD's whenever I want to watch a film.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 pm
Going to the theater, at this point, requires too much planning to do any more frequently than once every two weeks -- maximum. DVD has been great... I never purchased into the "but you've got to see it in theaters" line, really. Iron Man was what it was on DVD or in the theater.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 am
Having spent over $2,000 on a fantastic flat screen, I cannot/would not step foot in a theater unless we're talking about a LOTR type film or something that absolutely necessitates a theater experience. It's less cramped and you don't get kicked in the back this way, or have to pay 40 dollars for a ticket, Junior Mints, popcorn and a soda.... :geek:

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 am
6-20 is a pretty large range, it doesn't surprise me that most people fall into that category. It may have been more interesting to split it into 3 categories.

I go about 10-15 times myself. Like everyone else, I watch a ton of stuff on dvd.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:14 pm
Yeah, the "theater experience" nowadays is quite overrated. Not only do you have to deal with ridiculously high prices on seemingly everything, but you have to deal with the additional encumbrances of loud, disrespectful largely teenaged patrons and sticky, unmopped floors. I know this is gonna sound cheesy as hell but DVD is the way to be! Ha, ha, ha!

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 pm
My theatrical attendence has gone down significantly from 4 or 5 years ago. Back then, I used to watch almost every major movie that came out, so I was probably up to over 100 a year. Then a couple of years ago, I pretty much stopped going to theatres unless it was a movie I really wanted to see. I've started going back but I'll never get back up to 100 per year.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm
I see between 50 and 100. I got around 67 for 2007 and while I haven't tallied 2008, I imagine it's around 90. I doubt I broke 100. I just don't have enough money.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:58 am
I was at 100 per year for years and have dropped off radically over the last two years

Bad experiences at the theater combined with nice home theater

Rob

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:40 am
Off the top of my head I think I probably see around 12-15 movies a year in theaters, and another 5-10 on DVD before that year's Oscars. This year I was lower, mostly due to my usual movie buddy moving out of the state.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 am
2 or 3 for the kids...depending on the releases. We definitely do not miss the Pixar release of the year.

Then 2 to 5 out with my wife. Hoping to watch Adventureland this weekend with her.

The real reason I don't go out to theaters...too many teenagers. Being the high school teacher, I hate bumping into my students outside of the classroom.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm
I try to see at least two movies theatrically per month. But there’s not always something playing that I would consider worth the effort. And like almost everyone else here, most of what I see is viewed on DVD.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:31 pm
Well, before I picked up the whole film reviewing thing, I would see between 30-50 movies per year at the cinema. Since venturing into film criticism however, I tend to see 3-4 every week now, which leaves me drained and unable to watch much DVDs. I probably watch one or two films at home per month now, along with 15 odd at the theatre. It fluctuates with my usual waxing and waning of atrophy I guess.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:33 pm
I still manage about 120-130 per year at the actual theatre, There are times when I go nearly everyday (during spring break, or winter break) but mostly on the weekends, but If I drive to the theatre I tend to see 2-3 in a row, and start in the morning around 10 am and finish up around 3-5 that afternoon either on a Saturday or Sunday, If I go with my spouse, it is 1 and 1 only! I will go back the next day and see 2.

When I was younger in my 20's before my daughter was born, it was nothing to see 5 in a single weekend day in two different theatres across the street from each other. Of course this was back when they didn't schedule times to get the maximum number of shows after 5 pm. I could start at a 11 show, 1, 3, 5, and have them all at the lower prices, now, it is a max of 3 at the cheaper prices.

Cheers,
Wade

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Producer

Post Re: Poll #2: Number of Theatrical Movies Per Year
On average I went with 101-200. But I've only seen 5 this year so far (My Bloody Valentine, Fast & Furious, Duplicity, Knowing and Watchmen) this year. But I hope to catch up. Especially during the summer. Can't wait for Star Trek and Terminator Salvation!

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:12 pm