Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 812  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Cheesy LA Confidential on par with Chinatown? Danny Devito and all?

I mean, Chinatown's a Top 25 type film, and LA Confidential's a Top 50 type film, but LA Confidential is a phenomenal film. I can't imagine finding something written by Ellroy to be "cheesy," and DeVito is perfect as Sid Hudgens

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:45 pm
Cinematographer

Flight 2.5/4

Flight is a middling take on an individual dealing with alcoholism that could have been improved in almost every conceivable way. Except for perhaps Denzel.

The opening plane crash sequence is very well done. Denzel Washington's character, the pilot Whip Whitaker, saves the lives of almost everyone on board, despite (and perhaps because of) being sloshed. So it was surprising when it turned out that all Flight was about was alcoholism. Didn't they make this movie like 10 times in the '90s?

I think Flight could have been much stronger if there had been some tension with the characters around Whip. For the most part, drama comes from seeing if Whip can hold things together long enough. This could have been fine, but we are introduced to a recovering druggie love interest and his over-the-top drug dealer. Nothing really happens with either one. I was super excited when John Goodman showed up; I don't know why they didn't use him more.

There were a lot of religious references. People kept showing up who would talk about God without really explaining anything. It felt out of place.

Speaking of which, the soundtrack was awful. It's like they realized they needed to add some songs, but rather than putting any effort into music research, they just reused every single overplayed movie song they had. Not only was it cliche, but in many cases it was actually distracting.

Overall, if you want to watch Flight, just watch the opening and the hearing at the end. Literally everything else is filler.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 pm
Assistant Director

darthyoshi wrote:
Flight 2.5/4

Flight is a middling take on an individual dealing with alcoholism that could have been improved in almost every conceivable way. Except for perhaps Denzel.

The opening plane crash sequence is very well done. Denzel Washington's character, the pilot Whip Whitaker, saves the lives of almost everyone on board, despite (and perhaps because of) being sloshed. So it was surprising when it turned out that all Flight was about was alcoholism. Didn't they make this movie like 10 times in the '90s?

I think Flight could have been much stronger if there had been some tension with the characters around Whip. For the most part, drama comes from seeing if Whip can hold things together long enough. This could have been fine, but we are introduced to a recovering druggie love interest and his over-the-top drug dealer. Nothing really happens with either one. I was super excited when John Goodman showed up; I don't know why they didn't use him more.

There were a lot of religious references. People kept showing up who would talk about God without really explaining anything. It felt out of place.

Speaking of which, the soundtrack was awful. It's like they realized they needed to add some songs, but rather than putting any effort into music research, they just reused every single overplayed movie song they had. Not only was it cliche, but in many cases it was actually distracting.

Overall, if you want to watch Flight, just watch the opening and the hearing at the end. Literally everything else is filler.

I probably agree on the grade, but I thought the John Goodman character was completely distracting. Particularly his last intervention. That scene at the hotel was so awkwardly handled that it completely took me out of the film. I do agree about the love interest. Her character was unnecessary.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Gate of Flesh

Another Seijun Suzuki yarn set among his usual cast of petty criminals, prostitutes and lowlifes. Not spectacular, but it has a strong ending.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 pm
Cinematographer

Thief12 wrote:
I probably agree on the grade, but I thought the John Goodman character was completely distracting. Particularly his last intervention. That scene at the hotel was so awkwardly handled that it completely took me out of the film. I do agree about the love interest. Her character was unnecessary.

I agree that the way he was used was distracting. I think if he had been more of a major character and had been developed more, he would have been much better. As he is, he kind of just ruins the flow of things. Just like the random Rolling Stones.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:37 pm
Critic

darthyoshi wrote:
Just like the random Rolling Stones.

It's not random at all. If anything, it's thuddingly obvious how not random it is -- he's a character who's bad and tempts the main character, so Sympathy for the Devil plays!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 pm
Producer

I must say that I’m incredibly intrigued about Holy Motors now. I'd never even heard of it until a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall it getting any exposure over here at all.

It’s zoomed right to the top of my next rental list.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 am
Director

A Good Day to Die Hard

Bullet to the Head is a dead to rights good movie, with excellent dialogue, good acting, a solid plot, etc. John Moore's action offering is not quite that. It's a campy father-son movie with a budget bigger than the plot deserves. BUT parts of it have a real visceral punch; they add up to a fun theater-going experience, for me at least. I have a strange experience with a movie like this; I think to myself, it's kind of a bad movie, but I had fun. Then I see an overrated summer tentpole, realize what a bad movie actually is, and then I don't know. Speaking of which

One thought about Holy Motors:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
many have remarked that it's a metaphor for current cinematic downfalls; one thing to notice is that Lavant drifts continuously between what may be various random movie scenarios. But the key here is that they're all bad movies. The cheesy dying old man, the trashy violence with the throat cutting, the hackneyed musical number, etc. All cliches, but Lavant invests each role with earnestness, and not sarcasm. Could that be what this film is championing? Also the final Edith Scob moment, a reprise of Eyes Without a Face, which is almost as trashy as films get.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 am
Cinematographer

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Didn't Kieslowski already make a movie titled Red?

Seriously though, this movie is complete crap. It features a scene within where the titular Kevin plays video games with his father while screaming, "die!" repeatedly. It's probably the single worst scene in filmdom since Gabourey Sidibe stole a bucket of chicken. It's these kinds of simpleminded observations played as serious as possible that make these films self-important nonsense.

I appreciate the choice to frame the material around a nonlinear narrative, as it makes the point that kids like Kevin don't just pop up out of nowhere, nor can their horrific actions be traced back to one specific incident or moment. That alone, however, isn't terribly insightful or enough to justify a movie whose premise is solid, but whose execution leaves everything to be desired. No cliche is left unturned, as director Lynne Ramsey takes us on a journey of one heavy-handed, trite observation after another. I'm surprised Kevin wasn't wearing a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and doing meth.

Tiny Furniture

Lena Dunham's film, made for $50,000, does a good job of disguising itself as yet another mid-20s life crisis film, depsite being about how artists are constantly on display on some level, and how that inevitable has negative consequences on whatever "real life" is supposed to be. A good, interesting movie even if it never approaches "very good" and focuses a bit too much on the hackneyed quarter-life crisis plot line.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:20 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:

Seriously though, this movie is complete crap. It features a scene within where the titular Kevin plays video games with his father while screaming, "die!" repeatedly. It's probably the single worst scene in filmdom since Gabourey Sidibe stole a bucket of chicken. It's these kinds of simpleminded observations played as serious as possible that make these films self-important nonsense.

I appreciate the choice to frame the material around a nonlinear narrative, as it makes the point that kids like Kevin don't just pop up out of nowhere, nor can their horrific actions be traced back to one specific incident or moment. That alone, however, isn't terribly insightful or enough to justify a movie whose premise is solid, but whose execution leaves everything to be desired. No cliche is left unturned, as director Lynne Ramsey takes us on a journey of one heavy-handed, trite observation after another. I'm surprised Kevin wasn't wearing a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and doing meth.

I fully respect the notion that each person's taste will be different. That said, I do want to address just a couple of points in your review above. First, the scene involving Kevin playing video games does feature a younger version of said character, so yelling something like "Die!" isn't a huge stretch. It would be more of a stretch if the young Kevin were to yell something like, "This violent video game is causing me to harbor thoughts of homicide in real-life! Eventually, these thoughts could grow to encompass all of humanity and my family!!". If the objection to the scene was that it makes his character arc too obvious- well, the entire premise has been made fairly open to the viewer, so it's not like this was some sort of spoiler moment.

As for that very last sentence: as you yourself noted, the film wasn't trying to point fingers at any one cause. Wouldn't having the titular character wear a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and/or do drugs be doing exactly that?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I fully respect the notion that each person's taste will be different. That said, I do want to address just a couple of points in your review above. First, the scene involving Kevin playing video games does feature a younger version of said character, so yelling something like "Die!" isn't a huge stretch. It would be more of a stretch if the young Kevin were to yell something like, "This violent video game is causing me to harbor thoughts of homicide in real-life! Eventually, these thoughts could grow to encompass all of humanity and my family!!". If the objection to the scene was that it makes his character arc too obvious- well, the entire premise has been made fairly open to the viewer, so it's not like this was some sort of spoiler moment.

My issue isn't with the plausibility of the scene, but more the heavy-handedness of it. At this point using video games as one of the (many) reasons someone like Kevin comes to be just felt silly.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
As for that very last sentence: as you yourself noted, the film wasn't trying to point fingers at any one cause. Wouldn't having the titular character wear a Marilyn Manson t-shirt and/or do drugs be doing exactly that?

That was a sarcastic joke. It would have been the ultimate trite observation to do so, and since I felt the movie was full of trite observations, I poked a little fun.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:02 pm
Director

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

A documentary about the world's greatest sushi chef, and he's a fascinating man. Sushi by itself probably would not have made an interesting film, but by focusing on Jiro, his mastery of his craft, and showing the master at work, this is a really interesting documentary, and not just for people who like food...although I admit I wanted to try some of that sushi by the time it was over.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

My issue isn't with the plausibility of the scene, but more the heavy-handedness of it. At this point using video games as one of the (many) reasons someone like Kevin comes to be just felt silly.

Ragnarok73 wrote:

That was a sarcastic joke. It would have been the ultimate trite observation to do so, and since I felt the movie was full of trite observations, I poked a little fun.
I agree with you on Kevin, I hate the movie so much, it's downright insensitive in how it handles the subject matter. Blatantly implying that violent video games turned him into a killer(or at least contributed to it) is incredily asinine and illogical, not to mention irresponsible. Also, Ezra Miller's performance was just awful, he was not at all convincing as a cold-blooded killer.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I thought that the scene was more about foreshadowing what Kevin was going to be doing to his father, especially when contrasted with his behavior in later years around him (playing the good son to the father while expressing disdain for the mother). The father chose to take his son at face value rather than seeing the darkness within him, and he paid the price.

PeachyPete wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

The film made a lot of obvious points and references, but as the overall theme is one of ambiguity (re: "What went wrong?"), this is a forgivable quirk for me.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I agree with you on Kevin, I hate the movie so much, it's downright insensitive in how it handles the subject matter. Blatantly implying that violent video games turned him into a killer(or at least contributed to it) is incredily asinine and illogical, not to mention irresponsible. Also, Ezra Miller's performance was just awful, he was not at all convincing as a cold-blooded killer.

The film wasn't implying that any one cause created the monster. The entire theme of the film is in the attempt by the mother to try to figure out what went wrong as she reflects on Kevin's life up to the tragedy.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:57 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The film wasn't implying that any one cause created the monster. The entire theme of the film is in the attempt by the mother to try to figure out what went wrong as she reflects on Kevin's life up to the tragedy.

I know, but the way the scene was presented was so heavy-handed and over-the-top that it felt like the screenwriters were saying that they really do believe that violent video games contribute to people going on rampages.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Blatantly implying that violent video games turned him into a killer(or at least contributed to it) is incredily asinine and illogical, not to mention irresponsible.

How exactly is it irresponsible? I can sorta-kinda get the other accusations even though I don't agree with them, but irresponsible? I am not sure where you are coming from with that.

Certainly violent video games don't produce a killer on their own. But to say that they play no role into contributing to someone's state of mind, or swaying an already fraying mind, or dulling the senses to death... there's a case to be made for some of that. And the bottom line is we just don't know, one way or another, the affects of video games on the body and brain because it's just too early in their life. To be clear: I'm not saying there's any sort of straight line between a violent video game and a murderer. But to say they couldn't have possibly played a role is as silly as saying they definitely did.

PeachyPete wrote:
Tiny Furniture

Lena Dunham's film, made for $50,000, does a good job of disguising itself as yet another mid-20s life crisis film, depsite being about how artists are constantly on display on some level, and how that inevitable has negative consequences on whatever "real life" is supposed to be. A good, interesting movie even if it never approaches "very good" and focuses a bit too much on the hackneyed quarter-life crisis plot line.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

So so glad you feel this way. Dunham's stuff virtually defines Good, but Not Great and everyone needs to calm down and be okay with that. Bloggers acting like she's the perfect artistic spawn of Tina Fey/Gilda Radner/Sex and the City/Indieness are the bane of my current existence.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I thought that the scene was more about foreshadowing what Kevin was going to be doing to his father, especially when contrasted with his behavior in later years around him (playing the good son to the father while expressing disdain for the mother). The father chose to take his son at face value rather than seeing the darkness within him, and he paid the price.

Fair enough, and I'd agree that the purpose of the scene is at least two-fold - bringing up another possibility of what could have influenced Kevin and foreshadowing what would happen with the father. I just don't like the way the video game angle was presented. It's become such a cliche topic to discuss at this point, that I don't see the value in even bringing up the point that Kevin possibly could have been influenced by violent video games. Regardless of how I, or anyone, feels on the issue, it's such a common topic that it's inclusion bordered on unintentional parody for me. There had to be a better way to foreshadow those events.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
The film made a lot of obvious points and references, but as the overall theme is one of ambiguity (re: "What went wrong?"), this is a forgivable quirk for me.

Agreed on the overall theme. It's a movie that poses a lot of questions about how something like this happens, or how someone like Kevin is able to grow into who he becomes without some kind of parental intervention.

My initial write-up was probably too harsh, because my main beef with the film is that I don't find that idea that "this is a complex situation with many possible reasons" all that valuable. Removed from the intial shock of situations like these and the accompanying need to place blame, I think that's a conclusion most rational people can come to. The movie's attempts at characterization fell mostly flat, so it was more of an intellectual experience for me, and one that I didn't find rewarding. It's a noble idea, noble effort, but still something I feel is a complete failure as a film.

I'll also say that Berardinelli's line in his review, "In the ongoing debate between genetics and environment, Ramsay is an advocate for the former" is a pretty surprising reading of the film. It makes me question whether or not he really got what Ramsey was going for. The film places blame everywhere, including on the parents, and absolutely doesn't advocate either one over the other. If anything, the film meshes environment and genetics together and says there's no way of telling what the root cause is. Just because the kid doesn't grow up abused or poor doesn't mean his parents did a good job. Werid guy, that Berardinelli, thinking that Swinton's Eva is "an attentive mother".

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
So so glad you feel this way. Dunham's stuff virtually defines Good, but Not Great and everyone needs to calm down and be okay with that. Bloggers acting like she's the perfect artistic spawn of Tina Fey/Gilda Radner/Sex and the City/Indieness are the bane of my current existence.

I'd really love to know what got Mike Woodson so excited in that gif. Did Melo finally complete a correct defensive rotation? Did JR Smith not jack a contested 3 with 19 seconds left on the shot clock? Did Raymond Felton eat a salad? The possibilites are endless here, and I'm genuinely intrigued.

As for Dunham, I haven't seen any of her HBO show, and Tiny Furniture is my only experience with anything she's written. She's sort of the cool, almost hipsterish, but with mainstream appeal artist right now. Also, she's a feminist from NY. Those things combined make me unsurprised that people are falling all over themselves to annoint her as the Next Great Female Artist. I'll have to check out Girls before I come to any real conclusions on her as a writer. I appreciate anyone how's willing to put themselves out there like she does in Tiny Furniture, but that alone doesn't make you a great writer or artist.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:

Sorry to chip in with a remark, which may sound condescending even though it isn’t meant to be, but I believe that you may have completely misunderstood ‘We need to talk about Kevin’. When I watched the movie, which I liked a great deal although it is a little heavy-handed at times (the use of symbolic colour, for instance), I never thought that it would explore the reasons for Kevin growing up to become a psychopath or the motives for his actions. In particular, I didn’t get the impression that the “video game scene” was designed to offer a possible exlanation for Kevin’s behaviour. Basically, the way we see Kevin, he is a demonic evil child from day one: he never stops to scream as a baby, he refuses to interact with his mother even though he could, he wets his pants deliberately etc. Enjoying violent video games is, at the most, just another piece of the puzzle. This isn't us van Zant's 'Elephant' (which didn't offer a single explanation for the school shooters' behaviour, but seemed to make the point that there s no possible explanation)

I think that ‘We need to talk about Kevin’ is all about the mother played by Tilda Swindon, her feelings of inadequacy, her guilt, her struggle to cope with the situation and her desperate attempt to find a reason for Kevin’s behaviour. We only know Kevin through her memories (apart from the scene in which he is shooting arows, which I interpret as a figment of her imagination) and when Kevin is shown enjoying violent video games, it is his mother’s memory of him doing it. Also, there are subtle hints throughout the movie that we are not seeing the full picture. For instance, we are never informed on whether the mother really took the foreign correspondent job offered to her she might have been an absent mother for a considerable time or, alternatively, felt resentment towards her family for having to pass the chance to take the job.

By the way, you are spot on concerning Berardinelli’s review: Swinton’s character may not be an uncaring or bad mother, but she certainly isn’t “attentive” and the movie isn’t about genetics vs. Environment.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 812  Next