Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 pm

2013: Our Most Anticipated Movies of the Year 
Cinematographer

Post 2013: Our Most Anticipated Movies of the Year
I am glad to see that some of the pessimism concerning 2013 has lifted, although I still think that all of us, as members of the ReelViews community, should take some time out of our day and consider what great (and not-so-great) titles are in store for us this year. As a result, I thought that we should have something of an awards show, except one where we vote to see which titles we can all agree on (Star Trek: Into Darkness) and which films we each tend to have our own separate opinions about (The Great Gatsby, Man of Steel). This is all a shot in the dark; this idea might take off, or it might not. Nevertheless, I have devised a series of categories below for each of us to vote on. List as many titles or performances as you can for each category (the minimum is one, five is preferable), except for Most Anticipated Picture and Least Anticipated Picture, where you are each required to list at least fifteen. (It's a lot easier than it sounds.) I will tally up the numbers and see which movies and performances the ReelViews community is most excited about this year, as well as those titles that none of us really want to see. Here we go:

1. Most Anticipated Picture of 2013: Iron Man? Star Trek? Man of Steel? Grown Ups 2? :D
2. Most Anticipated Male Performance of 2013: Yes, it be in either the leading or supporting roles.
3. Most Anticipated Female Performance of 2013: Self-explanatory.
4. Most Anticipated Animated Feature of 2013: This year honestly looks dreadful for this category. I am approaching Monsters University with understandable apprehension.
5. Most Anticipated Documentary Feature of 2013
6. Most Anticipated Technical Innovation of 2013
7. Most Anticipated Screenplay of 2013: Can be either adapted or original.
8. Most Anticipated Blockbuster of 2013
9. Most Anticipated Oscar Contender of 2013
10. Most Original Picture of 2013: A special award for that one film that is unique (and weird) in its own special way.
11. Most Anticipated Reboot or Remake of 2013
12. Most Anticipated Action Picture of 2013: Straight-up action only. No science-fiction or comic-book adaptations.
13. Most Anticipated Comedy or Musical of 2013: Kind of like the Golden Globes.
14. Most Anticipated Science-Fiction Picture of 2013
15. Most Anticipated Comic-Book Picture of 2013
16. Most Anticipated Achievement in Music for 2013: In relation to movies!
17. Most Anticipated Literary Adaptation of 2013
18. Most Anticipated Sequel of 2013
19. Most Anticipated Hero of 2013
20. Most Anticipated Villain of 2013
21. The "Just Show It to Me" Award: That one movie you've been dying to see for years, or even months, now.
22. The Off-the-Beaten-Path Award: That one indie picture or festival film that you are really looking forward to.
23. Least Anticipated Picture of 2013: What is Adam Sandler doing this year?
24. Least Anticipated Male Performance of 2013
25. Least Anticipated Female Performance of 2013
26. The "Please Be Good" Award: That one movie that you just want to turn out right.
27. The ReelViews Award for Greatest Cinematic Contribution of 2013: Who do you think will end up having the greatest impact upon this year in movies? It could even go to someone whom you are sad to see leave the spotlight this year. (Soderbergh, anyone?)

And those are your 27 categories. You can vote for one title or performance in each category, or as many as five in descending order. For Most Anticipated Picture and Least Anticipated Picture of 2013, please choose at least fifteen titles. This isn't necessarily a competition, just a means of gauging what we are all really looking forward to this year. If it turns out well, this might become a yearly tradition. Anyone interested? If so, please fill out the ballot with your picks and post it in the ballot below for all to see.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm
Auteur

Post Re: 2013: Our Most Anticipated Movies of the Year
Shouldn't you have a category for horror as well?

Animated feature-Monsters U looks pretty good, the rest don't look that great(Planes? Really?)
Technical Innovation-Gravityis said to have very complex visual effects, which is the main reason for it's delay, so that might be worth watching.
Blockbuster-G.I. Joe Retaliation(technically a blockbuster even though it's not being released during the summer), Iron Man 3, Fast And Furious 6, Star Trek: Into Darkness
Most original film-Odd Thomas if it ever comes out this year, if it dosen't then "Now You See Me"
Reboot/remake-Oldboy, wasn't a fan of the original, but i'm eager to see what Spike Lee will do with the material
Comedy-The Heat, We're The Millers
Action-Fast And Furious 6, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down, THe Tomb
Science Fiction-Star Trek: Into Darkness, After Earth, Elysium, Oblivion, Pacific Rim
Horror-World War Z
Least Anticipated film-Oh god, not another Paranormal Activity/Smurfs film! Also have zero interest in Great Gatsby
Comic-book: Kick Ass 2, Iron Man 3
Sequel-Iron Man 3, Kick Ass 2, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Fast And Furious 6
Just Show It To Me-G.I. Joe, I was so pissed when it got delayed last year I actually started a petition.
Please Be Good-After Earth, this is Shyamalan's last chance to prove to me that he's not a complete and utter hack of a filmmaker
Literary Adaption-Ender's Game, The Host, Jack Ryan

Last edited by Vexer on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm
Director

1. Most Anticipated Picture of 2013: Before Midnight, Ender's Game
2. Most Anticipated Male Performance of 2013: Whoever that's going to be Ender
3. Most Anticipated Female Performance of 2013: Chloe Grace Moretz
4. Most Anticipated Animated Feature of 2013: Monsters University (Hey, I still love Pixar, and thought they have only one misstep: Car 2), and I hope Despicable Me 2 will be more of the first one's fun.
7. Most Anticipated Screenplay of 2013: Before Midnight
8. Most Anticipated Blockbuster of 2013: Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire
10. Most Original Picture of 2013: Gravity, Before Midnight (gonna sound repetitive, but I just love this series so), Oblivion
11. Most Anticipated Reboot or Remake of 2013: Carrie, Man of Steel
12. Most Anticipated Action Picture of 2013: Fast and Furious 6
13. Most Anticipated Comedy or Musical of 2013: Word's End
14. Most Anticipated Science-Fiction Picture of 2013 : Ender's Game, Gravity, Oblivion, Star Trek 2, The Host (Hope the director can improve on the solid storyline)
15. Most Anticipated Comic-Book Picture of 2013: Kick-Ass 2, Iron Man 3
16. Most Anticipated Achievement in Music for 2013: I love Michael Giacchino, and I saw that he has only Star Trek 2 lined up this year (for now), so that one.
17. Most Anticipated Literary Adaptation of 2013: Ender's Game
18. Most Anticipated Sequel of 2013: Hunger Games 2, Kick Ass 2, Iron Man 3
19. Most Anticipated Hero of 2013: Thor, Wolverine
20. Most Anticipated Villain of 2013: The Mandarin
21. The "Just Show It to Me" Award: Ender's Game
22. The Off-the-Beaten-Path Award: Upstream Color.
23. Least Anticipated Picture of 2013: Insidious 2. I love the first one, but what the hell were they thinking trying to continue on that ending?
26. The "Please Be Good" Award: That one movie that you just want to turn out right: Ender's Game, please don't let one of my absolute childhood favorites be ruined; also, I love the initial serialization of Fast and Furious 4 to 5, so I hope the sixth one will also turn out good.

It's difficult this early in the year to think of any potential good ones, and I don't follow the movie news much, so the list might be somewhat redundant.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 am
Auteur

There's going to be an Insidious 2? The first one sucked bad enough, I can only imagine how bad part 2 is going to be.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 pm
Producer

The first hour of Insidious was so-so. But I really enjoyed the last 30 minutes. I hope the sequel is more like the last 30 minutes and less like the stuff before.

Most Anticipated Movie: Man of Steel
Most Anticipated Male Performance: Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek Into the Darkness
Most Anticipated Female Performance: Sandra Bullock in Gravity
Most Anticipated Animated Film: Epic/Monsters University (tied)
Most Anticipated Screenplay: So many to choose, American Bullshit is up there, Stoker looks intriguing so does Oblivion and Gravity, but if I can only have one option I'll go with Elysium.
Most Anticipated Blockbuster: Man of Steel, Star Trek Into the Darkness, Fast and Furious 6, The Hobbit 2, White House Down, Iron Man 3
Most Anticipated Original Picture: Oblivion, Elysium, Gravity, American Bullshit, Captain Phillips, Dead Man Down.
Most Anticipated Reboot and Remake: Man of Steel, Jack Ryan, Oldboy
Most Anticipated Action Picture: Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down as well as The Tomb
Most Anticipated Comedy or Musical: The Internship, Anchorman 2, Hangover III
Most Anticipated Sci-Fi Movie: Star Trek Into the Darkness, Gravity, Elysium, Oblivion
Most Anticipated Comic Book Movie: Besides Man of Steel there is also The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Sin City 2, Thor 2.
Most Anticipated Achievement in Music: Star Trek Into the Darkness, Man of Steel, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
Most Anticipated Literary Adaptation: The Great Gatsby, The Host and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
Most Anticipated Sequel: Star Trek Into the Darkness, Iron Man 3, Fast & Furious 6, Sin City 2, Anchorman 2, G.I. Joe 2, Hobbit 2
Most Anticipated Hero: Superman, Kirk, Jack Ryan
Most Anticipated Villain: Whoever Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in Star Trek
JUST SHOW IT TO ME FINALLY: Man of Steel
OFF THE BEATEN PATH: To the Wonder, Under the Skin, Gravity, The Nymphomaniac.
LEAST ANTICIPATED MOVIE: The Smurfs 2, Carrie, 300: Rise of an Empire, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Tyler Perry Presents Peeples, Evil Dead, Lords of Salem and Tyler Perry's Temptation.
PLEASE BE GOOD!: Man of Steel, all of the great sounding Sci-Fi flicks coming out (Oblivion, Gravity, Elysium), Rush (Ron Howard needs a return to form vehicle after those lame Da Vinci Code/Angels & Demons movies), many others. Hangover III is also one I really want to be good!

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:01 am
Producer

1. Most Anticipated Picture of 2013: Man of Steel
2. Most Anticipated Male Performance of 2013: Henry Cavill as Superman
3. Most Anticipated Female Performance of 2013: Amy Adams as Lois Lane
4. Most Anticipated Animated Feature of 2013: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2. Which is already out.
5. Most Anticipated Documentary Feature of 2013 Hell if I know.
6. Most Anticipated Technical Innovation of 2013 A Zack Snyder movie that doesn't suck.
7. Most Anticipated Screenplay of 2013: The Counselor
8. Most Anticipated Blockbuster of 2013 Man of Steel
9. Most Anticipated Oscar Contender of 2013 The Wolf of Wall Street
10. Most Original Picture of 2013: Inside Llewelyn Davis
11. Most Anticipated Reboot or Remake of 2013 Man of Steel
12. Most Anticipated Action Picture of 2013: none
13. Most Anticipated Comedy or Musical of 2013: This Is The End
14. Most Anticipated Science-Fiction Picture of 2013 Star Trek: Into Darkness
15. Most Anticipated Comic-Book Picture of 2013 Nothing that's actually still noteworthy as a comic book.
16. Most Anticipated Achievement in Music for 2013: Carter Burwell working on a music-oriented movie.
17. Most Anticipated Literary Adaptation of 2013 Maybe Ender's Game, but I'm not sure how much I'm "anticipating" it.
18. Most Anticipated Sequel of 2013 Star Trek: Into Darkness
19. Most Anticipated Hero of 2013 Superman
20. Most Anticipated Villain of 2013 Zod
21. The "Just Show It to Me" Award: Man of Steel
22. The Off-the-Beaten-Path Award: Probably either David O. Russell or Woody Allen's newest.
23. Least Anticipated Picture of 2013: I don't expend much thought on movies I'm not interested in.
24. Least Anticipated Male Performance of 2013
25. Least Anticipated Female Performance of 2013
26. The "Please Be Good" Award: Man of Steel
27. The ReelViews Award for Greatest Cinematic Contribution of 2013: This year looks like it's going to be all over the map.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 am
Gaffer

I know this isn't exactly in keeping with the theme of the thread, but I made this about a month ago when I was bored and should have been watching a movie instead. It's broken up into tiers with titles so the number rankings are not an exact reflection of the order I want to see them in because certain movies across many of the tiers would be ranked higher.

The Best of the Best

1. The Wolf of Wall Street
2. Man of Steel
3. Elysium
4. Oldboy
5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
6. Monuments Men
7. The Place Beyond the Pines
8. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Movies that could be in the Top Tier if I knew more about them plus Star Trek and The Great Gatsby

9. The Counselor
10. Labor Day
11. Only God Forgives
12. Star Trek Into Darkness
13. Nebraska
14. The Great Gatsby
15. Zero Thereom

Interesting Looking Thrillers

16. Captain Phillips
17. Trance
18. 2 Guns
19. Blood Ties
20. Prisoners
21. Out of the Furnace
22. 12 Years A Slave
23. Side Effects
24. Now You See Me
25. Jack Ryan
26. Paranoia
27. Runner Runner
28. Mud
29. Devil’s Knot
30. The Company you Keep
31. Ain’t Them Bodies Saints
32. The Fifth Estate

Superhero Movies not involving Superman, all of which look good

33. Ender’s Game
34. Iron Man 3
35. Kick Ass 2
36. The Wolverine

Guilty Pleasures and Comedies

37. Fast and Furious 6
38. Gangster Squad
39. Anchorman: The Legend Continues
40. The World’s End
41. The Hangover Part III
42. The Internship
43. We’re the Millers
44. The Bling Ring
45. Monsters University

Big Budget Action/Adventure Movies ranging from looking very good to not so much

46. Pacific Rim
47. 47 Ronin
48. World War Z
49. Snowpiercer
50. Oblivion
51. Thor: The Dark World
52. After Earth
53. Jack the Giant Slayer
54. Oz the Great and Powerful

Biopics and such

55. The Emperor
56. Diana
57. Jobs

Miscellaneous Movies

58. Before Midnight
59. Foxcatcher
60. Malavita

Movies by famous directors that don’t look that great so far and everything associated with Terrance Malik

61. Gravity
62. Inside Llewyn Davis
63. Untitled Terrance Malik Project
64. Knight of Cups
65. To the Wonder

Action Movies that could be more than generic

66. Welcome to the Punch
67. The Sweeney
68. Dead Man Down

The Generic Action Movie Tier
69. Red 2
70. A Good Day to Die Hard
71. Olympus has Fallen
72. White House Down
73. 300: Rise of an Empire

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 am
Gaffer

Any predictions for how Evil Dead (2013) will turn out? The reviews have held out at 83% currently on RT

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm
Director

I'd have to second excitement for Man of Steel. Snyder is such a gifted director, he can easily make a better film than Donner's original; in fact it'll be a disappointment if he does not. It's the one exciting event this summer; I look forward to seeing how the general populace reacts to it.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 pm
Director

So glad we won't have to wait another 7 years for Alexander Payne's next film ("Nebraska"). Hopefully it'll be better than "The Descendants," though. :?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 pm
Director

trailer for Wolf of Wall Street is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszwuX1AK6A

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 pm
Cinematographer

So, up until seeing this trailer, I thought that Wolf would be a period piece. I don't know why.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm
Second Unit Director

I thought Wolf of Wall Street would be more serious fare, mostly a full-blown drama. From the trailer, it obviously is a black comedy, which is equally awesome news since it's been a long time Scorsese handled such material. I was interested in this before, but the trailer has got me even more so, if that is even possible.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Love the trailer, seems like a closer kinship to Goodfellas. Hope it's great. According to someone who knows the story (is it a book or a real life story?), the trailer doesn't even cover half of the crazy events.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
So glad we won't have to wait another 7 years for Alexander Payne's next film ("Nebraska"). Hopefully it'll be better than "The Descendants," though. :?

I thought The Descendants was his best movie yet. :cry:

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:06 pm
Director

The reviews of The Conjuring(July 19) have me intrigued. "Too scary" for a PG13?

Quote:
The mere sound of two hands clapping will have audiences begging for mercy in “The Conjuring,” a sensationally entertaining old-school freakout and one of the smartest, most viscerally effective thrillers in recent memory. Dramatizing a little-known account from the 1970s case files of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, director James Wan’s sixth and best feature is pull-out-the-stops horror filmmaking of a very sophisticated order, treating the story’s spiritual overtones with the utmost sincerity even as it playfully mines all manner of apparent cliches — creaky doors, cobwebbed cellars, toys you’d have to be just plain stupid to play with — for every last shiver of pleasure. What’s a moviegoer to do but join with the demons and applaud?

Having moved the New Line production up from February to a July 19 release date on the basis of through-the-roof test-screening reactions, Warner Bros. would appear to have an estimable mid-summer hit on its hands. That the MPAA opted to give the picture an R rating, claiming it was simply too scary for a PG-13 despite having met the basic content qualifications, should do little to hinder its tremendous word-of-mouth potential in theatrical and ancillary play.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/fi ... 200500864/

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:53 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
The reviews of The Conjuring(July 19) have me intrigued. "Too scary" for a PG13?

Quote:
The mere sound of two hands clapping will have audiences begging for mercy in “The Conjuring,” a sensationally entertaining old-school freakout and one of the smartest, most viscerally effective thrillers in recent memory. Dramatizing a little-known account from the 1970s case files of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, director James Wan’s sixth and best feature is pull-out-the-stops horror filmmaking of a very sophisticated order, treating the story’s spiritual overtones with the utmost sincerity even as it playfully mines all manner of apparent cliches — creaky doors, cobwebbed cellars, toys you’d have to be just plain stupid to play with — for every last shiver of pleasure. What’s a moviegoer to do but join with the demons and applaud?

Having moved the New Line production up from February to a July 19 release date on the basis of through-the-roof test-screening reactions, Warner Bros. would appear to have an estimable mid-summer hit on its hands. That the MPAA opted to give the picture an R rating, claiming it was simply too scary for a PG-13 despite having met the basic content qualifications, should do little to hinder its tremendous word-of-mouth potential in theatrical and ancillary play.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/fi ... 200500864/

As someone who did not find Insidious scary in the least, I highly doubt Conjuring will be much better(oh yeah and Insidious 2 looks awful judging from the trailer)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm
Director

Quote:
Most Anticipated Screenplay of 2013: The Counselor

here's the teaser

http://latino-review.com/2013/06/25/rus ... counselor/

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:22 pm