Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:59 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3168
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Click here for the review of Oz the Great and Powerful

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!


Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Even with the great cast, this film looks very meh.


Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 am
Posts: 15
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
I was excited about this, but was disappointed that all the reviews are negative or lacklustre. Since James Berardinelli gave it three stars though, I think I might end up mildly enjoying it too. Here's hoping...


Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 220
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Vexer wrote:
Even with the great cast, this film looks very meh.


Yes, I'm having trouble getting excited about the prospect of James Franco in the title role, though. Maybe he will surprise ...


Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Taleswapper wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Even with the great cast, this film looks very meh.


Yes, I'm having trouble getting excited about the prospect of James Franco in the title role, though. Maybe he will surprise ...

I think Franco is better in supporting roles then he is as a lead.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:26 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2239
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Saw it. Very disappointing. The last 20 minutes are terrific. But it takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get there. Until the movie's wonderful climax, it's actually quite dull, plodding, is very silly and just simply lacking in the magic that The Wizard of Oz had in abundance. It's not a terrible movie and it has it's moments, but it just felt incredibly inconsequential and silly and incredibly bland. If only the rest of the movie had the excitement, wit, imagination and visual splendor of the movie's climax, it would be something truly special. As is, it's a pretty big letdown and, sadly, one of Sam Raimi's weaker efforts.

2.5 stars out of 4 from me.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
This may be the first 2013 release I'll be checking out. Still, this part of the review leaped out at me.

Quote:
Although remaking The Wizard of Oz would introduce a series of legal hurdles, it could be managed and Baum wrote thirteen other tales of Oz, so there's no shortage of material.


Holy crap, if a remake ever comes to pass, I can imagine an outcry the likes of which we have never seen/heard. Can't imagine the movie would be even given a fair chance.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:50 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 383
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
I disagree with anyone who didn't like the film. I thought it was fun and imaginative. I'd recommend this one to everyone of all ages. I think there's something to enjoy for everyone.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:54 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am
Posts: 108
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
There wasn't a whole lot there for me to enjoy.

I love fantasy. I love strange worlds.

Oz was dull.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
KWRoss wrote:
This may be the first 2013 release I'll be checking out. Still, this part of the review leaped out at me.

Quote:
Although remaking The Wizard of Oz would introduce a series of legal hurdles, it could be managed and Baum wrote thirteen other tales of Oz, so there's no shortage of material.


Holy crap, if a remake ever comes to pass, I can imagine an outcry the likes of which we have never seen/heard. Can't imagine the movie would be even given a fair chance.


Actually, a remake of the Wizard of Oz had already been made, called The Wiz (1978) with an all-African American cast, including Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, and directed by the late Sidney Lumet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078504/?ref_=sr_3

Furthermore, there had already been a sequel of sorts to the original Wizard of Oz called Return to Oz (1985), which starred a young Fairuza Balk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089908/?ref_=sr_1


Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:57 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3168
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Actually, a remake of the Wizard of Oz had already been made, called The Wiz (1978) with an all-African American cast, including Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, and directed by the late Sidney Lumet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078504/?ref_=sr_3

Furthermore, there had already been a sequel of sorts to the original Wizard of Oz called Return to Oz (1985), which starred a young Fairuza Balk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089908/?ref_=sr_1


I don't think THE WIZARD OF OZ is regarded as sacred. The original is beloved but there have been enough forays into OZ in all sorts of media (books, comics, movies, TV) that it probably wouldn't be an outcry. Plus, because of the rights held by Warner Brothers (via MGM), any new Disney OZ would have to be a strict adaptation of the book rather than a remake of the movie.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
James Berardinelli wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Actually, a remake of the Wizard of Oz had already been made, called The Wiz (1978) with an all-African American cast, including Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, and directed by the late Sidney Lumet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078504/?ref_=sr_3

Furthermore, there had already been a sequel of sorts to the original Wizard of Oz called Return to Oz (1985), which starred a young Fairuza Balk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089908/?ref_=sr_1


I don't think THE WIZARD OF OZ is regarded as sacred. The original is beloved but there have been enough forays into OZ in all sorts of media (books, comics, movies, TV) that it probably wouldn't be an outcry. Plus, because of the rights held by Warner Brothers (via MGM), any new Disney OZ would have to be a strict adaptation of the book rather than a remake of the movie.


Ah, much like what Tim Burton did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Count me in as one of those rare people who liked that version better than the 1973 one.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:45 am
Posts: 72
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
James, do you make a point to watch a film in both 2D and 3D before writing a review?


Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:45 am
Posts: 72
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
ilovemovies wrote:
Saw it. Very disappointing. The last 20 minutes are terrific. But it takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get there. Until the movie's wonderful climax, it's actually quite dull, plodding, is very silly and just simply lacking in the magic that The Wizard of Oz had in abundance. It's not a terrible movie and it has it's moments, but it just felt incredibly inconsequential and silly and incredibly bland. If only the rest of the movie had the excitement, wit, imagination and visual splendor of the movie's climax, it would be something truly special. As is, it's a pretty big letdown and, sadly, one of Sam Raimi's weaker efforts.

2.5 stars out of 4 from me.


I agree almost word-for-word with your assessment. "Plodding" is the word that came to mind. It's not that the film is bad per se, it's just...boring. The only thing that held my interest was Michelle Williams' stunning beauty. Rachel Weisz is bland, Mila Kunis is awful, and James Franco is woefully miscast.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3741
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
iamed77 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Saw it. Very disappointing. The last 20 minutes are terrific. But it takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get there. Until the movie's wonderful climax, it's actually quite dull, plodding, is very silly and just simply lacking in the magic that The Wizard of Oz had in abundance. It's not a terrible movie and it has it's moments, but it just felt incredibly inconsequential and silly and incredibly bland. If only the rest of the movie had the excitement, wit, imagination and visual splendor of the movie's climax, it would be something truly special. As is, it's a pretty big letdown and, sadly, one of Sam Raimi's weaker efforts.

2.5 stars out of 4 from me.


I agree almost word-for-word with your assessment. "Plodding" is the word that came to mind. It's not that the film is bad per se, it's just...boring. The only thing that held my interest was Michelle Williams' stunning beauty. Rachel Weisz is bland, Mila Kunis is awful, and James Franco is woefully miscast.
The trailers and TV spots certainly made the film look bland, guess my first impression wasn't too far off.


Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3168
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
iamed77 wrote:
James, do you make a point to watch a film in both 2D and 3D before writing a review?


Not always. In this case, I didn't watch the film all the way through twice but was able to "sample" it in both formats.


Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 am
Posts: 66
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Wow, I can't believe posters are calling this movie boring. I saw it last night and was enthralled from start to finish. I was never bored in the slightest. This film exceeded my expectations, and I really connected with James Franco and was touched by his character arc. I think this is a very solid effort from Raimi, and he should be proud of what he accomplished.

I think I missed the Bruce Campbell cameo though! Where was he?


Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 am
Posts: 15
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Hmm... sometimes, when a movie is set in a magical world, plodding is okay for me. Hopefully, I won't be bored but I'll still give it a try soon.


Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
I saw OZ today and liked it for all the same reasons JB did. It's creative, imaginative, and the climax was eye-popping. And Franco does a good job selling his character's arc.

But my biggest issue with the movie, by far, was....

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Mila Kunis. Horribly miscast. When she gets mad at Oz and officially becomes the Wicked Witch of the West, it felt like one of those Family Guy episodes where Meg goes nuts after a guy rejects her. Just laughable, really.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
Darth Ed wrote:
I think I missed the Bruce Campbell cameo though! Where was he?


[Reveal] Spoiler:
He was the guard at the gate when they're trying to sneak back into the Emerald City. Gets whacked over the head a few times. I almost didn't recognise him, were it not for is huge manic eyes.


Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr