Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Our Movie Theater Pet Peeves 
Cinematographer

Post Our Movie Theater Pet Peeves
An entire thread devoted to First World problems. Only a short period of time left until the Pedros are announced, but until then, I thought that we could discuss our least favorite things about going to the movies. Obviously, all of us are film fans. We go to the movies in the hopes of witnessing cinema's finest. Unfortunately, many plebeians do not share that opinion. They look upon movie-going as a trivial pursuit, as a social event that must be witnessed in large congregations. As a result, I thought that I would list some of my least favorite movie theater pet peeves.

1. People who talk during the movie. A great film can incite discussion. Unfortunately, many people decide to start such discussions while the movie is still playing.

2. People who bring their children to the movies. I can understand if it is a children's film, yet I get incredibly annoyed when some idiot brings his offspring to a movie that isn't even suitable. When I first saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1, some fool brought his three young children with him, and they spent the first 30 minutes of the movie asking asinine questions about what was happening onscreen. I know that Harry Potter is tame when compared to The Lord of the Rings, but honestly? Deathly Hallows - Part 1 featured scenes of torture that would surely be grueling for a child to witness. And Nagini? No. Just no.

3. People who leave the theater to buy more popcorn. Some people seem to regard the movies as nothing more than an excuse to consume copious amounts of popcorn and soda. I can tolerate making a trip to the concessions stand during the previews. I cannot tolerate it when. The. Movie. Is. Playing.

4. Young people at the movies. Not all teenagers are troublesome at the movies, but many of them are loud, insensitive twats who cannot grasp the concept of not texting during the movie. I especially hate it when many of them go to see one movie at once. Sure, some of them can be quite respectful, yet a large horde of adolescents tends to be entertained by the film for only the first 20 minutes or so. After that, they get restless and start to irritate me.

5. People who walk into the movie once it's started. No explanation needed. I have always been of the opinion that the theater doors should be closed once the previews start rolling. I heard that a theater in London was considering hiring "ninjas" to swoop down on troublesome theater-goers in order to shut them up. If only...

So, what is the worst experience that you've ever had at the movies? And finally, what is your least favorite theater in your area? There is an AMC near my house that is beyond dreadful. It is in a very (ahem) urban area, the theater attendants are often rude, and the guests can be very disrespectful. On the other side of that equation, the Landmark theater near my home is the best. Going there isn't just fun; it's an experience.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:00 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Our Movie Theater Pet Peeves
I haven't really had problems with people talking during films, but people bringing kids to age-inappropriate films is definitely a problem, you think Deathly Hallows is bad? i've seen kids in R-rated films like Hostel 2, Law Abiding Citizen, Expendables and Last Stand.

Haven't had problems with teens at the films either, from my experiences it's usually the adults that are the ones texting and playing with their phones during the film.

I don't really care if people walk in late or go to get concessions or whatever, i'm usually too absorbed into the film to even notice or care.

I haven't really had a truly "bad" experience at the theaters, I was dissapointed when I saw 30 Days Of Night and 28 Weeks Later, but that was more the films themselves then the audience.

I live in a rural area, so there's only two movie theaters that are within driving distance, Marcus Theatre at Gurnee Mills Mall and Tinseltown Theater, i've had good experiences at both places and don't really prefer one over the other.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 pm
Cinematographer

"Simple" Equipment Failure If the picture is out of focus, or there is no video or no audio and it happens during the previews, I don't mind (much) having to leave my seat to notify the box office or a random usher. Usually it's something simple where it's fixed within a minute or 2 after I return to my seat. But woe to the theater where this happens during the main feature. (About a month ago I had to run out because there was sound but no picture at all during the previews.)

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm
Auteur

Johnny Larue wrote:
"Simple" Equipment Failure If the picture is out of focus, or there is no video or no audio and it happens during the previews, I don't mind (much) having to leave my seat to notify the box office or a random usher. Usually it's something simple where it's fixed within a minute or 2 after I return to my seat. But woe to the theater where this happens during the main feature. (About a month ago I had to run out because there was sound but no picture at all during the previews.)

Thankfully that's only happened to me once, it was during the trailer for The American, which was out of focus, fortunately it was corrected before the trailer ended.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm
Second Unit Director

I cannot stand the pre-show they play at my cineplex.

I cannot stand the advertising that plays before the previews.

Both of these things are relatively new to my area.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm
Second Unit Director

TV ads before the trailers. Seriously theater owners, I PAID MONEY FOR MY TICKETS FOR A REASON YOU SICK BASTARDS!

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Some of those aren't necessarily "pet peeves", but rather common sense. Like talking during the film, or bringing kids/babies to an adult film. Those two things in particular irritate me.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Besides the ones Sean mentioned, which are present almost every time I visit the theater, I have one that really annoys me. In India, the simpleminded government is still of the belief that putting up statutory warnings before films is going to make a difference. So whenever a film contains any smoking or drinking scenes, there is supposed to be a statutory warning (which incidentally is spelled incorrectly) saying both of those are injurious to health. In and of itself, this only mildly annoyed me.

However, nowadays they've added a sequence of scenes about 5 minutes in length which explicates the dangers of smoking. In those scenes are graphic visuals of people afflicted with mouth cancer and all assorted ailments that are quite simply nauseating to watch. I don't want to see closeups of people's disgusting looking mouths and enlarged faces right before I am about to watch a film I am deeply interested in. I don't smoke, and I know what its fucking dangers are.

This sequence is shown both before the film and during the intermission and completely kills the mood. Nowadays I've begun closing my eyes and playing around with my phone when this sequence is played, but it still remains incredibly annoying and of no use in reality.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

I can understand wanting to have a brief warning, but that's just awful. We have fairly strict laws about smoking here in Australia, but I'm glad we don't have to sit through anything like that.

That said; I've been to a few movies where they've show a locally made ad about speeding that's at least two minutes long and is really obnoxious. Thankfully it didn't have any graphic depictions of what speeding can result in.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:20 am
Second Unit Director

I was at a theater in Chicago and the guy in front of me was responding to lines in the movie as though he was at a Southern Baptist church service.

The peanut M&M just exploded when it hit the back of his head.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Besides the ones Sean mentioned, which are present almost every time I visit the theater, I have one that really annoys me. In India, the simpleminded government is still of the belief that putting up statutory warnings before films is going to make a difference. So whenever a film contains any smoking or drinking scenes, there is supposed to be a statutory warning (which incidentally is spelled incorrectly) saying both of those are injurious to health. In and of itself, this only mildly annoyed me.

However, nowadays they've added a sequence of scenes about 5 minutes in length which explicates the dangers of smoking. In those scenes are graphic visuals of people afflicted with mouth cancer and all assorted ailments that are quite simply nauseating to watch. I don't want to see closeups of people's disgusting looking mouths and enlarged faces right before I am about to watch a film I am deeply interested in. I don't smoke, and I know what its fucking dangers are.

This sequence is shown both before the film and during the intermission and completely kills the mood. Nowadays I've begun closing my eyes and playing around with my phone when this sequence is played, but it still remains incredibly annoying and of no use in reality.

There's actually a part of me that is really fond of this idea. It provides a common sense solution to a complicated issue. I mean honestly, I think there is some truth to the idea that depicting smoking in films as "cool" could lead to more people actually smoking. However, anything beyond 30 seconds just seems obnoxious.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Director

Definitely agreed on:

Sean wrote:
People who talk during the movie.

Mananged to avoid that a lot of the time. However, when I went to see Zero Dark Thirty, this one guy kept yammering on throughout the movie.

Cell Phone Talkers: These probably fall in the same category as People Who Talk During The Movie. But there's a special spot in a place that rhymes with bell for them. When I go to see a movie in the theater I put my phone on vibrate. If it goes off, I go outside the theater to take the call. Or if the call isn't important I wait to call back later. However, many people either A) DO NOT set the phone on vibrate B) Take the call right inside the theater or C) Both.

Long lines at the theater when there doesn't need to be Thinking specifically of teh local Regal. There are 4 or 5 ticket windows and 4 or 5 registers at the concession stand. Yet on most days, there's only one or two open. Meaning, long ass lines. If there's time, no big deal. But when the twenty minutes of previews have passed and your movie's about to start, well. If there's a lot of people waiitng, PUT MORE PEOPLE ON THE REGISTERS.

I usually manage to time it so I skip the 20 minutes of previews and the pre-show BS.

When I went to see Collateral the fire alarm went off as the film went into its final 45 minutes. Laster the manager came out to say that he couldn't show the rest of the movie because of scheduling. But he did give us free passes so that made up for it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:43 am
Critic

People who take out their bright as shit fucking iPhones to check the time. The movie will end when it fucking ends, stop distracting my eyes with the glare.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28 am
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

There's actually a part of me that is really fond of this idea. It provides a common sense solution to a complicated issue. I mean honestly, I think there is some truth to the idea that depicting smoking in films as "cool" could lead to more people actually smoking. However, anything beyond 30 seconds just seems obnoxious.
I don't think people will smoke just cause they see someone in a movie doing it.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't think people will smoke just cause they see someone in a movie doing it.

Clearly people smoke because they see someone who they think is cool doing it. It's certainly not only characters in movies, but I do think that's a part of it. No one starts if they don't think it's cool. The method Balaji describes may be a little much, but clearly something has to be done to combat it, so I'm not sure totally how I feel about it.

The only thing that really gets at me in a movie is open conversation between people who have an attitude that since THEY paid for a ticket, they can do whatever they want.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Clearly people smoke because they see someone who they think is cool doing it. It's certainly not only characters in movies, but I do think that's a part of it. No one starts if they don't think it's cool. The method Balaji describes may be a little much, but clearly something has to be done to combat it, so I'm not sure totally how I feel about it.

The only thing that really gets at me in a movie is open conversation between people who have an attitude that since THEY paid for a ticket, they can do whatever they want.

No need to ruin the movie-going experience for those who actually have the common sense to realize that smoking is bad. Art should not be censored or specially adapted to prevent people from gathering foolish notions from it.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Sean wrote:
No need to ruin the movie-going experience for those who actually have the common sense to realize that smoking is bad. Art should not be censored or specially adapted to prevent people from gathering foolish notions from it.

Yeah, but that's why I think it's an interesting idea. The warnings are a nice work around, instead of censoring art (which I think is wrong), you just stick a warning label on the front of the work in question. No need to eliminate "objectionable" material, just stick a warning label to make those who object to it happy. And as I said, I think anything beyond 30 seconds is absurd.
-Jeremy

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Sean wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Agreed, people usually take up smoking either due to peer pressure or stress, movies don't really factor into it.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:15 pm
Second Unit Director

I have a friend who smokes a lot. He is also a conformist (hope you guys know what a conformist does) at a film studio here. It is his job to add this small warning before every film he works on. He says that it is in a smaller resolution and there's a process to upconvert it. He usually starts this process and goes outside and has a couple of smokes till the process is complete. While watching the film, whenever this short comes on, nearly every smoker in the theater has a lot of joy poking fun at it. Most of them ridicule the short saying, "as if that's going to stop us."

In India, we have statutory warnings on the cigarette packets themselves; we have a text based warning before the film; and we have a text based warning that takes up one corner of the screen in the actual smoking/drinking scenes in the film itself. Every smoking/drinking scene. Besides all this, I am also forced to sit through a three minute film explicating the dangers of smoking with graphic images of mouth cancer or cancer in general that are puke-worthy. From where I stand, these explicit images are not changing the minds of actual smokers. Why I should I be subjected to such images which completely kill my film-watching mood when I don't even smoke?

So yeah, I find it annoying as hell. People will smoke whether they see it in films or not, whether they see other people doing it or not. I am around smokers everyday and have enough influence around me, yet I have never taken as much as a single puff, nor do I want to. That is where my frustration stems from.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:43 am
Profile WWW